After a 4-12 start, and 14 innings -- a quiz

Random and delirious thoughts/questions, on three hours' sleep, while awaiting Delta 1866 from Laguardia to Fort Lauderdale:

1. Mets catcher Raul Casanova went 0 for 6 with four strikeouts last night. Would he help the Nationals' offense?

2. Before it first hit the ground, Joel Hanrahan's final pitch traveled: a) 60 feet, 6 inches; b) 48 feet; c) 90 feet

3. If you are on the mound and are gripping a slider, how would you characterize throwing that slider to second base in a pickoff attempt with Cristian Guzman at the receiving end, as Hanrahan did last night. a) wise; b) shrewd; c) cunning; d) foolish

4. When Ronnie Belliard booted Ryan Church's eighth-inning grounder, starting the Mets game-tying rally, you: a) had the utmost confidence the Nationals would win; b) went to bed, knowing they would lose; c) knew they would lose, but watched anyway (also enjoy sticking needles in eyes); d) searched medicine chest for hemlock

5. John Lannan had 11 strikeouts in last night's game. This is: a) half as many strikeouts as he had in his six starts, total, last year; b) more strikeouts than he had in his six starts, total, last year; c) the same number of the total hits the Nationals will have in the three upcoming games in Florida

6. Manny Acta: a) loves Hanley Ramirez; b) despises Hanley Ramirez; c) fears Hanley Ramirez

7. What is higher: The number of runs the Nationals average per game, or Pi?

8. Had Hanrahan not thrown a wild pitch to Brian Schneider with two outs and the bases loaded in the 14th, Schneider would have: a) grounded out, 4-3; b) grounded out, 1-3; c) grounded out, 3 unassisted; d) singled in the winning run

9. The percentage of former Nationals that fill the Mets' 25-man roster is: a) 20; b) 25; c) 16; d) 0

10. You find the batting helmet worn by first base coach Jerry Morales: a) somewhat alluring; b) strangely mesmerizing; c) a better fit for Larry Bowa

Enjoy your morning as best you can. At least there's the Capitals ...er, I'll magically post answers in mid-flight later in the morning.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 18, 2008; 6:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trivia answers
Next: Trivia answers

Comments

number $ b is what i thoughtt

Posted by: J-dog | April 18, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

This is HILARIOUS!! You're funny when you're a zombie.

I was going to say Kasten would be all over this snark, but truthfully, he can't say one word.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 18, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Former Nationals (or Nationals farmhands) on the Mets 25-man: Nelson Figueroa, Brian Schneider, Marlon Anderson, "Inning" Endy Chavez, and Ryan Church

Posted by: Brian | April 18, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Thank God we lost last night.

During our winning streaks this year, I've been on pins and needles.

Oh oh -- we're taking on the lowly Marlins. I'd better prepare for more wins.

Posted by: 241 Scott | April 18, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Can't even believe how awful they are right now. I had a great business dinner last night and assumed the game was over when I got home, sure glad I did.

If I know Bowden, that's it for Hanrahan, he just got himself a one-way ticket to Columbus and Hill will be back for his start tomorrow or Sunday.

Love the quiz and gallows humor. Don't have the stomach to answer the questions though.

Posted by: Avar | April 18, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

1) No, but it's close.
2) B
3) D
4) B (I was pleasantly shocked that they didn't lose in the 12th, or whichever inning began with Ray King throwing to rightys. Still, you had to know thet were going to lose.)
5) C
6) All of the above
7) Please tell me it's not pi
8) C. (No doubt, dead cert.)
9) A
10) B

Posted by: Trapper John | April 18, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

1. He certainly wouldn't hurt it.

Did anyone notice Laz Diaz's (sp?) Left Tackle impersonation on that wild pitch last night? It would have still been close, but if he hadn't held Nieves up for 2 or 3 seconds, they would have at least had a play at the plate. 14 innings is a long game for an umpire, guess he was ready to go to bed. Oh well, not like it matters...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

That was me re: the umpire...

Posted by: Matt | April 18, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Are there right or wrong answers?

What do we get if we win? (The quiz, that is, not a game)

Maybe you could add an essay question to round out the exercise. I.e. In 250 words or less, please say whether you agree or disagree with the following statement:

Frank Robinson is not worried about this team. So there is nothing to worry about.

Dread.

Posted by: Natty Dread | April 18, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Hah! Good stuff. I knew after the error it would be tied and I turned it off after Zimm failed again in the clutch in the 9th, knowing it was just a matter of time. Now if it was a home game I would have watched and waited for Zimm to win it somehow as a walk-off.

Posted by: GoNats | April 18, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I know some people loathe this kind of analysis but I am wondering if there is a way to find out:

1) The best MLB final record after starting 4-12

2) The average MLB Final record after starting 4-12

3) The precentage of teams over the last several years that have lost 11 of 12 at some point in a season.

Posted by: GoNats part deux | April 18, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

And another thing, what ever happened to that whole Manny declaration about base stealing and not running into outs?

I agree with Capitol Punishment that Zimm's last at bat showed progress. I am ready for him to start to killing the ball in Florida.

Posted by: GoNats 3 | April 18, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Barry, how long does Manny Acta expect this team to suffer Zimmerman in the 3 hole hitting something south of .220?? I love Zim, but the kid cannot hit well enough at this point in his career to be batting 3rd every night.

Posted by: dh | April 18, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

*BEEP* *BEEP*

The only good thing about losing is that it brings out Barry's snark. Hey, Barry, think they can be 32nd place this year?

Posted by: Snarkometer | April 18, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Losing stinks. You're a gold-keyboard snarkologist.
I can't answer any of these questions.

I "watched" the end (last 7 innings) of the game via gameday on my cellyphone screen 'cause my "friend" dragged me out to see a "show". Maybe it is better that way. Losing stinks.

Posted by: i hate walks | April 18, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mikem | April 18, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

barry's bucking for columnist duty...

Posted by: 231 | April 18, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"Wow, I bet sarcastically slamming the baseball team you've been assigned to cover is a great way to facilitate reporting on said baseball team. Good work."

The way this team is playing I hope they can at least find humor in the Bar's ramblings...lord knows they can't argue.

Posted by: MountieNatsFan | April 18, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Barry -- on the Schneider question, you forgot "weak flare to second base."

Posted by: Chris | April 18, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I know that Losses are leading Wins right now by 12 to 4 in terms of Pledged Outcomes, but we shouldn't lose hope. After the Pennsylvania, Indiana, and North Carolina primaries, followed by Montana and Puerto Rico, we can expect more clarity from the Superoutcomes. Superoutcomes - especially undeclared Superoutcomes - recognize that Wins are better than Losses for the Nationals, and Wins are more likely to result in a .500 season come October. So, even though it looks like Losses are winning by a margin of 8 right now, I think that record could easily be reversed to 12-4. LET'S GO NATS!

Posted by: Nat Gas Futures | April 18, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Am I alone in thinking that Nieves is better than both of our current backstops? (Red Ass and Estrada) Yes his bat sucks, but behind the plate...kinda reminded me of Schneider!

Posted by: BigNatsFan | April 18, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Yes, because what this team really needs more than anything is another guy who can't hit in the lineup. Catcher defense is the reason we've lost all those games.

(What's the rolling eyes smiley symbol?)

Posted by: Chris | April 18, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Barry, did you even consider adding "Schneider hits walk-off grand slam" to your list of choices before summarily rejecting it? I mean, stranger things HAVE happened, and in theory it would have been a possible choice. And I'm sure it bummed you out that "Schneider grounds into double play" wasn't available for you to list as an option in this situation. Oh, wait, maybe I'm confusing you with Capitol Punishment there...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Barry, this is a snark at new heights! Just when is your replacement taking over?

Gas Futures, I loved your take on all this.

Posted by: Traveler | April 18, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

One more question:

Which team leads the National League in Walks given by pitchers and has issued 5 more intentional walks then the next closest team?

Hint: This team is hitting .143 with the bases loaded and it's pinch hitters are batting .097

Posted by: GoNats | April 18, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

1. No, but he's got a mean curveball and a wicked change. At this point I'd trust him more than almost anyone in that bullpen.

2. B

3. D

4. C

5. C

6. C

7. Pi.

8. C

9. C

10. B

Question: If the Nationals don't trust Chad in situations like the 14th inning, why isn't he on the DL? Acta is being hindered by indesisiveness(sp?).

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | April 18, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

You thought WE had a long game? The Rockies and Padres played 22!!!

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | April 18, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Barry. I'm passing on the quiz. I cannot stomach complaining about bad baseball, so I'll move to something else.

I read this morning with interest the debate about pulling Lannan after 102 pitches. I, along with my fellow 40+ year old friends, can remember pitchers who routinely threw complete games and logged over 300 innings a year. I'm thinking about guys like Mickey Lolich, Bob Gibson, etc. In 1971, Lolich had 45 (!) starts and threw 376(!) innings, and he was not a junk baller. This doesn't even mention the move from 4 man rotations to 5 man rotations. I've heard all the arguments about why this is happening - pitchers are being babied; there's more money invested in each pitcher now; studies show that young pitchers will blow out there arms. It's no wonder that offense has gone up in the last 30 years. If one considered the percentage of innings not being thrown by the four best pitchers on any given MLB pitching staff as compared to the 1960's and 1970's, it's remarkable.

One of the questions I've never seen contemplated though when comparing eras is pitch counts. I seem to remember that in the 60's and 70's there was not the emphasis on "working the count". I seem to remember guys like Scott McGregor routinely pitching 85-90 pitch complete games. Now even when a guy is pitching well, he always seems to run up 100 pitches by the 7th inning. Although I haven't seen the stats on this, intuitively it also seems that there are more strike outs and walks than there used to be. These are the two outcomes that require the most pitches. Has anyone ever seen a study of this?

Posted by: #4 | April 18, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Umm... what's it cost to move a stadium to San Juan?

Posted by: Mr. Discouraged | April 18, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Gotta give props to Don Sutton for foreshadowing the Hanrahan wild pitch. When commenting on how Colome intentially walked a guy while staying with his regular motion, but then Hanrahan does the opposite, and the result... another loss.

Posted by: BofG | April 18, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh and one other thing... I found it amusing that Will Nieves was getting so much love on NJ last night. He is strong defensively - calls a good game, blocks (most) pitches, throws well. It seems like the Nats had a Will Nieves type last year who could actually provided some offense. His name was Brian Schneider. I wonder how many of you who were singing Nieves' praises last night who used to bury Schneider last year when he wasn't hitting.

Posted by: #4 | April 18, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

1) no
2) b
3) d
4) b
5) b
6) a,b,c.
7) pi
8) a
9) b
10) c

Anyone see the movie Titanic? Missed the ending, what happened?

Posted by: section 425 | April 18, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I have never seen a more embarrassing team in my life.
I'm disgusted and cannot wait till this ends.
I'm a die hard fan and it hurts!
Changes need to be made now!
Someone has to step up to the plate before it gets any uglier,
Please I appeal to ownership to right the ship. I'm tired of hearing it's early. Well in my book, it's late!!!
Please!!

Posted by: Nats Fan -Massachusetts | April 18, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

At the end, Bowden was replaced by O's Exec, and they lived happily ever after.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

If you're taking about this cover, it was Ice Cube.

- - - - -

John in Mpls, you're my new favorite regular here. Don't tell 506, ok?

By the way, did anyone notice that last night's game brought Hendo AND wigi out of the woodwork?

419+1 I know you're reading this.

And on a baseball note: I'm having sushi for dinner tonight. Gonna get started a little after seven Eastern time. Who's with me?

Posted by: i hate walks | April 18, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand calling first pitch slider there after two straight intentional walks...

Why are we running two pickoff plays with the heart of the Mets lineup up to bat anyways? Easley wasn't going to steal third...

Why can't we hit? The Mets bullpen isn't that good and they made our guys look like A-ball hitters.

Two games this year the back to back intentional walks has backfired, suprise?

Why is Manny using catchers to pinch hit so early in the game? I am assuming LoDuca was unavailabe, so this is a VERY risky strategy...

Posted by: kranny | April 18, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I like magic...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

#4, I've seen some studies on the length of a starters outing but I haven't been able to Google them thus far...

Posted by: GoNats | April 18, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Greetings,

Does anyone know where I can find Lenny Harris?

Posted by: Unemployment | April 18, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

GoNats:

Thank you. If you find the info, I'd be interested only if it deals with pitch counts. My theory is that it now generally takes more pitches to get through the same number of innings as it did 30 years ago.

Posted by: #4 | April 18, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I was glued to the set until the bottom of the 6th when I had to get my daughter ready for bed. I came back down to see what happened and saw the score tied in the bottom of the 9th. Rewound my TiVo to see how the Mets scored. I only fast-forwarded thru the sequence in the 8th so I didn't hear Bob or Don, so I have a couple of questions:

1) after Belly's error, why did Manny take Saul out and replace him with Ayala (to pitch to David Wright)?
2) after Ayala's walk (more troublesome to me than Belly's error), why did Manny take him out and replace him with Rauch (to pitch to Delgado)?
3) why take Lannan out after 6? I know he was at 102 pitches, but due up for the Mets in the bottom of the 7th was Delgado, Pagan and Clark. Not exactly murderer's row, there. Why not let Lannan come out and start the 7th. If he gives up a hit or a walk, then do the double-switch. Why not ride the hot-hand for one more inning?

I love Manny, but lately his managing decisions has left me a bit puzzled.

And please, can we start placing players on the DL if they have no chance of playing for a few days? Why keep LoDuca and Cordero on the roster if you know they can't play? Once again, Manny has a 23 man roster to play with for a few games. Put them on DL, call up Schroder and Maxwell (or Orr or Langerhans ... anyone!).

Posted by: e | April 18, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Loved the snark. "When Ronnie Belliard booted Ryan Church's eighth-inning grounder, starting the Mets game-tying rally, you: a) had the utmost confidence the Nationals would win; b) went to bed, knowing they would lose; c) knew they would lose, but watched anyway (also enjoy sticking needles in eyes" C, God forgive me, C. I need help! Please? Anyone?

Hey, for you stat folks: has any team EVER fallen collectively below the Mendoza line? We're flirting with it. Oh, we're flirting. help??? someone???

Posted by: NatsFLy | April 18, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

THIS is why I read this blog and not Nats 320. It's the difference between intentional and unintentional humor (Well, that's one difference, anyway.)

Posted by: Sam Rice | April 18, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Won't be a minute too soon for me.

---

Posted by: Fake Stan Kasten | April 18, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Don't know where Lenny is, but I bet AK is with him!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Reasons to be patient and remember it's a long season: Five lowest batting averages (through Tuesday) among 201 big-league batters who have enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting race belong to:

David Ortiz (.113), Troy Tulowitzki (.149), Placido Polanco (.149), Andruw Jones (.149) and Casey Blake (.150). And the two highest earned-run averages belong to C.C. Sabathia (11.57) and Roy Oswalt (9.00).

Posted by: GoNats | April 18, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

the situation isnt dire yet cause people still care. but what happens when every1 gets so bored with the nats situation that they dont even bother coming here anymore to vent.
thats when the powers that be will realize its code red.

Posted by: dk | April 18, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

One place to start on #4s pitch count question is Barry or someone else just ask Sutton. Check out his IP #s for his career, pretty impressive. It would be interesting to hear what he considered to be a high pitch count during his years as a pitcher, and how many pitches for a complete game would have been considered in the range of normal.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | April 18, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Pitchers should be removed from a game when they loose command of the strike zone. Last night Lannan was in command and showed no signs of struggling. Everyone in the stands last night cheered when Lannan didn't come out in the 7th because they knew he was dominating their team. Relying on pitch count is killing more baseball managers' careers than any other modern coaching technique (see Sam Perlozzo). Today's modern pitchers are getting injured at just as high a rate with pitch count as they used to without pitch count. Can't the Bill James types find some COSZ (Command of Strike Zone) statistic that is better than pitch count?

Barry, does Nat's FO have some absolute pitch count for starting pitchers that Manny can't exceed?

Posted by: Tom | April 18, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

#4, here is the one article on pitch count I thought was most interesting:

Posted by: GoNats | April 18, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

#4: http://www.tangotiger.net/pitchCounts.html

Google that site along with pitch counts. He's got lots of good stuff.

Koufax, one of the top strikeout pitchers in the game, routinely threw "just" 110 pitches per game based on estimates, but also the actual record.

There aren't too many Mark Belanger-type batters in the league any more. Even crap hitters like FLop make the pitcher work.

Posted by: Chris | April 18, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

and also RZ, RB, FLop, WH, JE, PLod, RMack. (They're all on the same slow boat to china)

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem with removing Lannan after 6 innings and 102 pitches. He's young and coming off a rough start, then he gives us six strong innings and leaves with the lead. It's OK to bank that and not take the risk that he tires in the seventh and gives up 3-5 runs like a lot of our starters have done in the 5th inning this year. Why Rauch and not Ray to face Delgado though? I think Barry will ask Manny about this later today.

Also worth quoting this from the gamer:

"Hanrahan didn't even afford Schneider a chance to be the hero against his old team. His first pitch scooted wildly past Nieves. Easley scored, well, easily ...."

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 18, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, I am starting to chill about the losses. I still care but my expectations are lowered and I don't have a knot in my stomach.

They will figure this out.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 18, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

In 1932, Baseball Magazine reported that the average nine-inning game saw about 115 pitches. Today it's in the high 150s, one-third higher than before. That means that what got you through nine innings back then now only gets you into the seventh.

Posted by: GoNats | April 18, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"At least there's the Capitals ..." who are currently down 3-1.

But Dont forget about the Zards!

BTW,

It would have been alot cooler if it was the Florida Marlin's who relocated to DC, as opposed to Montreal.

Crap we are awful.

Posted by: The BigC from DC | April 18, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

#4,
I take exception. I was singing Nieves praises last night but I never gave Schneider a hard time for not hitting last year either.

I did gloss over Nieves' lack of hitting, but since nobody is really hitting, I didn't notice so much. Catchers have such a major job, when they shine on D, I'm very forgiving of 0-fors. Plus Nieves JUST came up.

Anyway, hitting aside, Nieves's catching just sounded so fresh and engaged and it was a stark difference from my impression of LoDuca and even Estrada.

Granted, I didn't actually *see* the game, I was just listening, so I'm just going on a feeling. Those of you who did see him, what do you think?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 18, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

NatsNut's comment made me think that we're all going though the Nationals Fan Five Stages of Grief:

1. Denial: "It's still early."

2. Anger: "Wow, this team sucks."

3. Bargaining: "If we can just get everyone healthy and go on a five-game winning streak ..."

4. Depression: "I can't watch this anymore."

5. Acceptance: "OK, I guess maybe we're not going to hang around and threaten to contend for the wild card this year. That's a disappointment, but then it was never really about this year. I'm just going to watch Lanning and Chico and Lastings and Wily Mo and Elijah and our prospects and hope we find several additional pieces of our 2010 contender."

Where are you? I'm sitting at about 4.5 this morning, but part of me is still at 1 hoping this is just a bad dream.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 18, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of catchers named Casanova, is anyone else out there old enough to remember Paul Casanova when he played catcher for the Senators? He was my favorite player, even over Hondo, when I was a kid suffering (except for 1969) through the Senators seasons from the mid-60's until 1971. Now I have a son of my own and he and I spend each evening convincing ourselves that tonight will be the night the Nats will turn things around, only to feel like Charle Brown after Lucy pulls the ball away from him once the game is over. Still we love the Nats and are convinced, perhaps naively, that a turn-around starts tonight in Florida.

Posted by: TJH | April 18, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

On the wild pitch, Hanrahan simply overthrew his slider. Plain and simple. Those are the growing pains that come with figuring out your stuff in the majors instead of the minors.

Posted by: Rookie mistake | April 18, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Bob L,

Brilliant! That is so true. I was at 4 last night before the game and swore not to watch it at all. Couldn't resist peaking but turned it off after 9, still sticking to Depression.

Finally this morning I moved to #5.

Posted by: GoNats | April 18, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I seem to have invented a new player, "Lanning." I think I got crossed up between Lannan and Lastings. My own little errant throw into centerfield.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 18, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Just for giggles, and because there's not TOO much positive to say about what's going on on the feild these days...

Nats Roster in 2011:
C: Jesus Flores
1B: Chris Marrero
2B: Orlando Hudson (perhaps?)
SS: One of the two Beckham's in this year's draft

Kyle Gunderson (RHP)
Kai Tuomi (LHP)
Cole Kimball (RHP/Set-Up)
Terrance Engles (RHP)
Colton Willems (RHP)
Hassan Pena (RHP)

Obviously, I'm drawing almost exclusively on what we already have in the system, except for where we truly have almost nothing - such as the middle infield. And of course, we'll probably never see most of these guys, but it's always fun to get excited about what we have in the minors.

Posted by: BigNatsFan | April 18, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Bobble's stages of grief: I'm laughing so hard!

It's so true, though. I guess I cleared 1-4 pretty quick.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 18, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

An "efficient" starting pitcher gets through an inning throwing 12-15 pitches. That's the goal, and very hard to do over the course of a game.

For instance, take Jake Peavy last night:

IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST
J Peavy 8.0 4 0 0 3 11 0 113-70

He still averaged 14 pitches per inning. While Lannan averaged 17K/IP last night. Both pitchers stuck out the same number of batters. Yet Peavy allowed 1 more hit and gave up 3 walks.

--------------------

Posted by: GoNats | April 18, 2008 10:07 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Bring me rum!
Bring me cigar!

I wake up bats!

Posted by: Jobu | April 18, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TJH | April 18, 2008 10:28 AM

why stop there. how bout brinkman, mcmullin, epstein, lock, king, valentine, cottier, stanhouse, daniels, hinton, zimmer.......

aah the bad news bears.

Posted by: dk | April 18, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Bob,

I started the game last night at, like, seven.

By the time Lannan came out I was at about 2.9

When I saw the final I was at (7 + 2.9) = 9.9

When I woke up this morning and realized the poetry in the fact that I am going to eat sushi for dinner on the night the Nats start a series against the Marlins (in warmer weather, where Cordero's velocity problem will be instantly rectified), I went down to around 0.5.

Posted by: i hate walks | April 18, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of constituents coming out of the woodwork (as IHW had noted), I offer the following:

Hey, fellow Nats fans and Constituents, it's almost time for the NJ faithful's first gathering of 2008!

Date: Sunday, April 27

Time: From 11:35 AM to approx. 1:05 PM (game time vs. the Cubs is 1:35 PM)

Where: We will plan to meet at Nationals Park on the right-field side of the center field gate (which opens 2.5 hours before game time) on the main concourse level. Somebody will be posted in that area with a Planet NJ sign, name tag, or some such identifier. Our scouts plan to arrive earlier and attempt to snag a picnic table (the tables are located behind sections 142 and 143 on the main concourse level). One of our scouts has learned that the tables can only be reserved as part of a group ticket package. However, unreserved tables may be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Our fall-back plan will be to pull up cement seats in a remote area of the park. See the maps of the main concourse level seating and concessions via the links below:

Attire: Baseball casual

What to bring: Your own drinking water and food (unless you plan to buy it inside the park). A blanket in case we are not able to snag a table and need to pull up cement seats in a remote area of the park. For Nationals policy on outside food and beverages, see the excerpt below (cut and pasted from the A-Z Guide on the team site):

"All food items must be contained in single serving bags within a soft-sided container or cooler, that does not exceed 16" x 16" x 8". Metal, plastic or glass containers of any kind (except for factory-sealed, plastic water bottles, no larger than 1 liter and juice boxes) are prohibited at Nationals Park. Only one bottle of water per person will be permitted."

Your hosts include: Natsfan1a, NatsNut, Hendo, and our special guest host - John in Mpls (only he'll be in D.C., not Mpls, but I digress).

Please join us so that we can put faces to the monikers (and see some familiar faces again)!

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 18, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Bob L.

What makes you think this team will contend in 2010? At best given what Barry and others have put out as their likely lineup for 2010, you have a very young unproven team. Burgess and the others will be rookies.....look at the Milledge's play.....nobody wins a pennant with the type of fielding and base running errors he makes.

Each year that goes by that we accept the Plan as they are executing it, the further we are from any real contending team. They need proven players on the team in 2010 and I see two at most by them. Zim and Flores......Maybe Milledge if he moves to LF. That is it.....The sooner we get realistic about the talent here the sooner we can address the problem.

Posted by: JayB | April 18, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

That's the answer. The Pope is here. It's Friday. We're all having fish for dinner.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 18, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"Andruw Jones (.149)"

Looks like he's picking up right where he left off last year. Hands up, all you guys who wanted him in CF for us this year. No hiding in the back there, JayB, Lerners ARE Cheap, swanni. This is the kind of free agent you think the Lerners are too cheap to go after, right?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

New post, naturally. :)

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 18, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"I think I got crossed up between Lannan and Lastings."

Here's a little memory trick for you. Lannan is the pitcher, Lastings is where we're gonna end up this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

which of the following is true?
a) the lerners are cheap.
b) kearns still stinks.
c) nats win tonight it'll start off a good weekend.
d) all of the above.

D

Posted by: quiz | April 18, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

a) Lerners are Lerners
b) Kearns is Kearns
c) win or lose, 75 degree fridays start off a good weekend

Posted by: none of the above | April 18, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I wanted Tori Hunter in CF first, then Andrew Jones, then Rowland.......I wanted Livo First, then Lohse, then Jennings. What does all this prove.....I as a fan have a better idea than Jimbo of talent....I do not think so.....but it surely does not prove that the Nats are smart by spending nothing and hoping for the best....Look at the roster, their is room for improvement everywhere but 3rd Base.

Posted by: JayB | April 18, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Oh, don't worry. there's room for improvement at third base too.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I am getting sick of the Bob & Don show. Bob & Tom had some chemistry between them and a decent snark level. It seems that all Don wants to do is pontificate on pitching and Bob is being a Kasten sycophant in order to keep his job another season. Debbie is just annoying.

I am going out of town for a week, and refuse to buy MLB Gameday. I guess I won't see any Nats games on ESPN because they don't play the Yankees or Red Sox this season.

I am at Grief Stage 2. Maybe by the time I get back, everyone will be healthy and they'll start winning. Maybe the weather in Florida will loosen up Cordero's arm. Maybe the Pope's blessing of Manny's office and the Clubhouse will have a positive effect.

Aww, screw it.

Posted by: Sec 419, Row E | April 18, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

It's wild reading these posts, as we Mets fans were convinced last night that Willie was trying to give the game away to you guys. (For example, having guys bunt in very questionable situations and/or players who are utterly incapable of laying one down in fair territory.) If interested, check out the thread at:

Posted by: JE | April 18, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"And last time I checked newspapers were written for the general purchasing (or in this case clicking) public, not the players. If you want a sycomphantic discussion I'd suggest a replay of any MASN broadcast. Love those guys, but come on."

Yes, and reporters are supposed to report, not make fun of the (admittedly very bad) team. I simply don't see how making fun of the team helps him do his job, which is getting me (and you) accurate information. And I see some ways in which it can hinder his job needlessly.

Also, I have no idea what "sycomphantic" means.

Posted by: mikem | April 18, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse