Anyone still watching?

This is ugly. John Lannan: 4 IP, 6 ER. Jason Bergmann: A surprise relief appearance, perhaps to restore confidence. Didn't work. Two innings, four runs.

Jeff Francoeur? That would be 3 for 4, 2 HR, 7 RBI. A good week for any National.

Not much surprise that a very healthy crowd -- no number yet -- is walking out toward the Metro.

However, if you've got the time, anyone care to try to list all the ways the Nationals have given the Braves extra bases/hits/opportunities/runs today? It could take you the better part of the afternoon.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 12, 2008; 4:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Estimated start time: 2:35 p.m.
Next: Cordero reinstated, Bergmann sent down, WMP back tomorrow

Comments

It's time (after this homestand) to make some drastic moves, if only to shake things up: 1) Release Bergmann 2) Send Lannan back down 3) Bring up Ballester and Hill 4)Trade Nick Johnson and Guzman

Posted by: GoNats | April 12, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

If they trade Nick Johnson to "shake things up" after the first 2 weeks of the season--no matter how bad things are going--I will burn the rest of my season tickets and all of my Nats merch.

Posted by: JennX | April 12, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Shoot, at this point, that would be a good week for the team as whole. I don't think anyone on the home team even has 7 RBI on the season...

******************

Posted by: BSG | April 12, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Sooner or later Nick will trip over the foul and break his hip - rendering himself worthless. Trade high.

And another things....Austin Kearns is obviously the opposite of clutch. If Manny still bats Kearns 5th when Pena returns I am burning MY tickets.

Posted by: GoNats | April 12, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

LO DUCA DREW A WALK, EVERYONE.

REPEAT, LO DUCA DID SOMETHING THAT DID NOT TOTALLY SUCK.

Posted by: JennX | April 12, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

i'll need to see video evidence of all of the ticket burning threatened here before i buy into any of it... :P

Posted by: 231 | April 12, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

On a brighter note...the P-Nats are 5-2! And tickets are a fraction of the price!

I love the big Nats, and always will, but this is really, really depressing.

Posted by: VT Mikey | April 12, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Still here in 408 (courtesy of 408). Well, the grass is green. The early rain shortened the line at Five Guys by a bunch and let my girls get their first choice for lunch. Did I mention that it's warm? We got free car flags. We scored two more runs than yesterday, and we still have one inning left to play! The cherry trees are finally flowering. Stay for the whole game and avoid the crowds! Yay. Bleck.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 12, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm burning my tickets!!

Posted by: Ed | April 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I have tickets tomorrow but I won't go. If the Nats dont want to spend money to field a Major League team why should I spend money in the new stadium. 9 in a row. This is no longer just a bad streak but something more symptomatic.

Posted by: PatheticNats | April 12, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"I'm burning my tickets!!

Posted by: Ed | April 12, 2008 5:27 PM "

VIDEO EVIDENCE OR I CALL SHENANIGANS!

Posted by: 231 | April 12, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I was there today - left after the 5th though (I'd seen enough for this week, gave tomorrow's tix to a friend, and I was tired of hearing everybody taking crap and boo'ing, even though it's probably deserved I just can't get around to doing that)....anyways, I feel bad for the Lerners. I know yall are gonna crush me for this, but this was a chamber of commerce type of weekend (except for the rain delay) and a perfect opportunity for them to make a heckuva impression on all the suburban family types but the hometown 9 go out and lay an egg.

Posted by: Corey | April 12, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, I won't say that I am going to burn my tickets, but after last night's game, I decided to forego todays. Instead, I spend the better part of late last night and this morning lining up people who want the rest of my season for free. So far, I have given away every ticket through July, and decided to do Aug. and Sep. on Monday at work.

I agree with what others have said. I may have already sunk many many thousands of dollars into my tickets this year, but I am not going to dump any more money into the team via concessions, merchandise, or anything else this season.

I experienced the stadium that the team hung its hat on for two years, and sat in my dugout box seats for a few games. Ultimately though, I go to watch quality baseball--not to be impressed by a new stadium.

This team is not even competitive, and nobody benefits from suffering through these games. I have a feeling the Lerners are going to be quite disappointed with their attendance this year, and their STH numbers next year. They really really dropped the ball by relying too much on a new stadium to solely draw fans. If DC area fans wanted to see a beautiful stadium and a crappy team, we would have just kept going up to Baltimore.

Posted by: Agreed | April 12, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Bergmann sent down, Cordero and Wily Mo coming up tomorrow! WoW! something had to happen.

Posted by: Big Roy | April 12, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, spot on with your analysis. Smart baseball fans are not going to keep blowing money on this garbage. You go to the ballpark for good time and to support your team, not to leave bummed game after game.

Posted by: Big Roy | April 12, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

If both willy mo and cordero are coming up and bergman is going down. Don't they need another roster spot for Willy Mo.

Posted by: DJ | April 12, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

big roy. where did you hear that? that's is a lot on wily mo's shoulder but he can handle it

Posted by: GoNats | April 12, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh, actually, smart baseball fans go to the game because they like to watch baseball. Watching a losing team is better than watching no baseball at all.

At the beginning of the game, JennX, they mentioned that Lo Duca has 0 strike outs. Now I don't like him either, but let's avoid hyperbole. Well, not entirely, your comment did make me laugh.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 12, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry folks. The Lerners have a plan. We'll have the fifth lowest payroll in all of baseball until we hit the right prospects and THEN spend the MLB average. Not before. Because spending even an average amount (or even more than The Royals) might not result in a playoff appearance this season

Posted by: mk | April 12, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Manny, said it at his post game press conferece. They talked about it on NatXtra for about 10 mins

Posted by: BigRoy | April 12, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"Watching a losing team is better than watching no baseball at all."

---------------------------------------------

That is a loser's mentality. No, watching a crappy product is NOT better than watching no DC product. Why? Because there is a product a short-train ride away in Baltimore and Philadelphia. Further, there are quite a bit on tv every single night that do not also milk you for an additional $7.50 for a beer.

It is a matter of cost-benefit analysis. Nationals baseball costs: (1) A hell of a lot in season ticket money; (2) A fair amount in concession money (depending on how much you get); and (3) An astronomical amount in mental anguish.

The benefit has yet to present itself--unless you consider watching losers consistently lose as a benefit. For me, that's not fun. It's depressing, embarrassing, and sometimes I feel guilty even looking. It is sort of like watching a one-legged man try to kick a field goal.

Posted by: No | April 12, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"Marla Lerner Tanenbaum announced that the foundation has agreed to give $40,000 annually for the next three years to the Earth Conservation Corps"

Well wouldn't Al Gore be proud. Helping the inner city kids by paying some hippie $40K a year to watch them clean the Anacostia. Didn't the Lerner's just lease a giant piece of property on the river? So their giving to a charity that gets kids to clean that cesspool is kind of like a kid who gives a gummy bears to his Mom.

Is the Lerner family really that disconnected from reality? Do they think ghetto kids are going to benefit from a cleaner environment rather than say a school lunch program?

Posted by: Sell the Nats | April 12, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Espn says Marlins are last in the Majors in ERA.

Posted by: Ed | April 12, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Big Roy, are you going to apologize to all of us when the Nats win at least 75 games this year and beat last year's attendance records? I'll bet you a Ben's Chili Half-Smoke. That's actually a blog-wide bet, anyone else want to get in on it?

Last home game of the season if the Nats don't win 75 games AND top last year's attendance I will buy a Ben's Chili Half-smoke for everyone who takes me up right now. If they do win 75 games or more and BEAT last year's attendance then you all will buy me one. And I can eat 65 or however many naysayers are out there right now.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 12, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Good point. Let's not forget that last year's team started 9-25. We have a long wa to go to get there.

Posted by: Ed | April 12, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Do you all really think that over the course of 162 games they're going to be worse than in previous years, when -- presumably -- you didn't "burn your tickets" or go on long, boring tirades about how you could run this team better? Good for you all that you're rich enough to completely give up on this team after a couple of weeks.

If, as all you geniuses predict, this is not the low point of the season, and things continue to go this way, the Nats will have no choice but to invest heavily in free agents, and abandon The Plan. They we'll have the Texas Rangers, and you all can whine about that. Geez, at least the hot dogs are warm, so that should make you happy, since you've spent the past three years complaining about that.

Lighten up, Mary.

Posted by: mike8 | April 12, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Gatta love Matt Chico. Pressure on, has his best game. We need more players like that.

Posted by: Ed | April 12, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game. Still nobody sitting behind home plate. It is an absolute embarrassment. Greedy Lerner's and Misguided Kasten were warned repeatedly but their god, the almighty dollar was too much for common sense. They priced the real fans out and empty seats is their reward. Today, I was watching the debacle on the field and wondering why am I spending money on a 20 game plan to the Nationals for a terrible product when I could spend my seasons ticket money on the Capitals and watch the best hockey player in the world for the next 10 years. I also wouldn't have to stare at that parking garage with those stupid signs which is an absolute blight on the experience but that is a gripe for another day. I am a life long Washingtonian and it is taking every ounce of my love for baseball and my desire to see a team succeed here to give the Lerners and Kasten the benefit of the doubt. They need to get it together and fast.

Posted by: mjwies11, Section 320 | April 12, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Lets get it strait. I didn't give up MY tickets. However i can understand if someone does that rather than B@t@h and moan about this team and how there playin'. its perfectly within ones right to say to hell with it. I'd rather see someone do that than come on here and whine about the front office, lopez, Paulie, kearns or whoever is the goat of the day. If you don't like what you see then don't go.

Posted by: Big Roy | April 12, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

The parking garage thing is really interesting. I wonder how they determined where to put them. It's as though they decided the back of the stadium would be the front even though it's the back.

Posted by: Ed | April 12, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

A little perspective: Anything that could go wrong, indeed, has.

Poor starting pitching....terrible bullpen...absence of those new power bats in LF...inability to drive in runs in the clutch...and shody (and at times lazy) defense.

Who would have thought all those things could happen at once? But they have. Thus, the record. Odds would suggest this indignity should end soon.

Off the field, though, will be more complicated.

Bowden's knack for throwing players under the bus in public is getting tiresome and classless. Isn't it time we had a GM who felt accountable rather than blame others? Perhaps he's aspiring to move down the street to Capitol building. He's got the blame-someone-else behavior down cold.

And Big Roy is right. Today's crowd pretty much filled most areas of the ballpark, except for that ritzy section behind home plate. If the trends continue, the Lerners should get rid of that silly, empty section, and perhaps expand the Red Porch restaurant and bar. That's where people have migrated to.

The odds would suggest such indignity can't last forever.

Posted by: Ashburn | April 12, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh.

I stayed til the 9th. Yes, it was ugly and depressing. But I'm not burning the rest of my tickets, just like I didn't burn my Caps tickets the season after the lockout...or even early November.

And when I'm at the hockey game tomorrow, I'll savor it all the more because I sat through the growing pains.

I hope the regular commenters come back and talk about baseball soon. Reading most of you guys is more depressing than the darn game was.

Posted by: nic | April 12, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

actually, the caps of november are a good thing to keep in mind. they started off 6-15, looked terrible, fired their coach.

i'm not saying the nats will make the playoffs or will be as successful as the caps this year. just that, as i've said all along, 10 or so games is not worth judging a team over.

Posted by: 231 | April 12, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

The team is starting its fourth year in DC and they are still not competitive. Rockies manged to be competitive after four years. So did the Diamondbacks and Marlins (Loria is ruining that). This team has got to show they are serious about trying to win, and they have not done that. They don't have to blow a lot money but at least try to get one solid free agent to make the team interesting. Zimmerman is still too young and I suspect he will never be more than a 270 hitter. Come on now, Nats prove to DC that they invested well in a baseball team.

Posted by: PatheticNats | April 12, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Speaking strictly for me: don't hold your breath, nic.

Posted by: CE | April 12, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Team is in its fourth year, but the new management isn't. This is a unique situation, but it's speeding towards Same Old.

Posted by: CE | April 12, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse