Cordero reinstated, Bergmann sent down, WMP back tomorrow

So a shakeup afterward. One move expected, two might not have been.

Chad Cordero was reinstated to the roster after the 10-2 loss to the Braves. He can pitch tomorrow. The corresponding move: Jason Bergmann optioned to Class AAA Columbus.

Bergmann gave up four runs in two innings out of the pen today. He was in the bullpen because Jon Rauch's wife had a baby yesterday and he was not at the park today. They needed some help, and Bergmann's turn -- as it turns out -- in the rotation was going to be skipped (he was due to pitch Tuesday in New York).

Also: Wily Mo Pena's rehab assignment with Columbus will be short. He'll get a couple of at-bats tonight, then get on a plane and be in the District by 9:30 p.m. "He'll be in the lineup tomorrow," GM Jim Bowden said.

More on all this in the paper. But clearly, the GM wanted to shake some things up.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 12, 2008; 6:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Anyone still watching?
Next: WMP activated; Flores to Columbus

Comments

Well wouldn't Al Gore be proud. Helping the inner city kids by paying some hippie $40K a year to watch them clean the Anacostia. Didn't the Lerner's just lease a giant piece of property on the river? So their giving to a charity that gets kids to clean that cesspool is kind of like a kid who gives a gummy bears to his Mom.

Posted by: Sell the Nats | April 12, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Repeated from the last thread, I'll keep track of bets in this thread.

---

Big Roy, are you going to apologize to all of us when the Nats win at least 75 games this year and beat last year's attendance records? I'll bet you a Ben's Chili Half-Smoke. That's actually a blog-wide bet, anyone else want to get in on it?

Last home game of the season if the Nats don't win 75 games AND top last year's attendance I will buy a Ben's Chili Half-smoke for everyone who takes me up right now. If they do win 75 games or more and BEAT last year's attendance then you all will buy me one. And I can eat 65 or however many naysayers are out there right now.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 12, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Someone said more moves were to be expected soon...is that true?

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | April 12, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Stay the course Stan!

Posted by: BPGay | April 12, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Bergmann was terrible. He can't get to Columbus fast enough.

Posted by: mjwies11, Section 320 | April 12, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

"Someone said?" Does that mean you have no faith in your source?

Look for Balester to make his next start in the Bigs.

Look for Wily Mo to sieze this opportunity to be a star.

Posted by: GoNats | April 12, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

This is torturous to watch, even on television. I guess the most frustrating thing to watch is the parade of blown opportunities at the plate. The Nats seem to have all of intensity of a spring practice drill.

This team is getting out-powered by huge margains. Our RBI producing section of the lineup is a complete joke in terms of clutch hitting. I am still regretting the line-up moves Acta made for the third game of the Philly series, the one that started this horrid streak (and ended our all too brief winning streak). Did anyone really think that we could be this embarassing to watch? Statistically, this can not last much longer. At some point we are going to have a Chico-like pitching performance mesh with timely hitting, or just get dumb lucky.

Posted by: Dale | April 12, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

If Berg goes down to make room for Chad, who goes down to make room Willy Mo?

Posted by: estuartj | April 12, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Im as big a Balester fan as there is, but what makes you say his next start will be with Washington?

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | April 12, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Apologize for what?

Posted by: BigRoy | April 12, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"At some point we are going to have a Chico-like pitching performance mesh with timely hitting, or just get dumb lucky."

You're right on, Dale, I hope. I would guess that our first big chance to break out will be tomorrow with Glavin pitching. I don't suppose we should have expected too much against Hudson and Smoltz, but Tommy Boy was getting beat around pretty hard last year at the end of the season. Not true at the beginning of the season, though.

What's the report on Glavine so far this year?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 12, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Just to be clear, my ticket-burning threat was contingent on the team following through on someone's suggestion that the team trade Nick Johnson.

While I've been miserable watching the last 4 games, I'm with you, 506-- no way the team finishes with a worse record than last year. I even just went back and read some of the blog entries and comments from this time a year ago just to give myself some perspective. Remember that start? And remember how, if you look past that the team went 500 for the rest of the season?

I am sad about Bergmann being sent down. I think he has a lot of promise, and he also just endeared himself to me through his interactions with us here on NJ. Jason, if you're reading, hope you're back with us in DC soon!

Posted by: JennX | April 12, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this horrid start will work some things out. By that I mean I would rather have an awful start than an awful finish. And most importantly its still early. The Nats have a lot of season left!

Posted by: natsfanBoston | April 12, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Let's Go Wily Mo!

Where would he be best in the line up? I say bat him third and move everyone else down one

Posted by: VT Mikey | April 12, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Ditto on the well wishes, Jason, hope to see you back soon.

WMP has got to be 5, no better place for him. Get Kearnsy down to a 6 or 7, which is his natural spot anyway.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 12, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not burning my tickets. At 10 bucks a pop for nosebleed left-field upper-deck seats, I really can't complain much. Yeah, the on-the-field product's been anemic, but it can't last for long.

It'll be interesting to see how the team plays with WMP in the lineup.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 12, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty excited about Wily Mo and Cordero coming back. Like Dale, I've been frustrated lately (as you can tell by my posts) but I think everything will come together sooner or later. This is the best news we've heard in a while - let's give the Chief some games to save now that he's back.

Posted by: BSG | April 12, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Greetings All -

I appreciate your kind words and you can believe I will be back.

Bottom line is in 3 games I pitched terribly and didn't do anything to help myself. I am confident in my abilities to be a MLB pitcher and am struggling with the notion of being too perfect and fine. I wish you, the fans, all the best and will always be pulling for my teammates wearing the Nationals Jersey.

Posted by: Jason Bergmann | April 12, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

STINK, STANK, STUNK !! Pathetic baseball---these guys should be totally ashamed!

Posted by: PO'd | April 12, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Surprised and saddened by Bergman's demotion, though not totally unexpected. I still like him and still think he's a good major league pitcher. He just had a bad stretch during a horrible stretch for the team, which made him look even worse.

Pena will make a difference, and Dukes and Young's return (at some point) will really help.

I hope - for his sake - that John Lannan doesn't have another outing like Saturday or he'll be joining Bergman in Columbus.

Posted by: The Beltway Boy | April 12, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jason, we'll see you real soon, I predict!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 12, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrowks Line-up;
1. Milledge
2. Guzman
3. Johnson
4. Pena
5. Zimmerman
6. Flores
7. Kearns
8. Belliard

Posted by: estuartj | April 12, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Er, just to be clear, I meant to say I was miserable watching the last NINE games in my previous post... nothing special about the last 4.

You're a class act Jason. Best wishes.

Posted by: JennX | April 12, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Jason Bergmann,

You are going to do fine. You were phenomenally unlucky in Philly with all the groundball singles.

Estuartj,

THAT is the lineup that I want to see tomorrow! What are the chances of it coming to be reality?

Posted by: Dale | April 12, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Ooops! Flores, Belliard, Guzman, Pena and Kearns can't all play at the same time.

Posted by: Dale | April 12, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

jason,

Work hard, have faith, and trust your stuff. We'll see you back in d.c. soon.

Posted by: blue son | April 12, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

thanks for visiting, jason. we'll be pulling for you.

and estuartj, you won't see that 3-4-5. it'll be zimm, johnson, WMP.

Posted by: 231 | April 12, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

dale, that's flores, not flopez.

Posted by: 231 | April 12, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Umm, OK, what am I missing? Why can't they?
Did you mean "Lopez (instead of Flores) ... can't all play" ?
*********

Posted by: Dale | April 12, 2008 8:52 PM

Posted by: CE | April 12, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I actually wrote this out first. My problem with the Nats this year is not that they're losing so much, in a variety of ways. I'm disappointed, naturally, but let's face it, no one expected them to make the playoffs this season. Although earlier, I suggested it might be possible, which might attest to my optimism or ignorance.
However, what bothers me most is why $10 000 000 dollars was spent on a DH and a catcher who is not as good defensively and maybe offensively as our future. (Flores) And I'm not even going onto the negative effect LoDuca might have on the team. I read somewhere last year where Flores was soaking up everything he could from Schneider. He has a good arm. He knows the pitchers better than LoDuca and potencially, he can hit. Why not give him a chance. Why Whitney,our 21st prospect was not kept in favor of Harris or Mackowiak is totally beyond my comprehension. Why did the Nats bother to select him to start with if not to build for the future?
Bergmann pitched, I think,9 of 12 good innings. First time the bullpen let him down, the second time, the manager. Couldn't Manny have seen he was giving out before seven runs were scored. So Bergmanns the fallguy. I get it!
This is going to be a good team, sooner than later. I truly believe that. But I sure don't understand certain things.

Posted by: Jeeves | April 12, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Wily Mo is back! Yeah! This is awesome news. Go Wily Mo! http://sluggerwily.com

Posted by: Daniel | April 12, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

A BABY!! Congratulations to the Rausches!
Barry, how are mom and DAUGHTER? SON? doing?

Posted by: Mr. InBetween - coverage is lurking | April 12, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Keep your head up Bergmann, you'll be back, you're a big leaguer.

Thrilled to have WMP back, need some pop from somewhere.

Who go does when WMP comes up - I say Harris.

Who comes up and goes down when we next need a 5th starter. I didn't look at the calendar to see when that is but if it had to be decided today, I would say Bergmann gets the start and I guess it would have to be Schroeder but that's a tough break, he doesn't deserve to go down. Hanrahan doesn't have options and Rauch has been too good for too long to even think about yet even he has started awful. He'll come around.

Let's win tomorrow!

Posted by: Avar | April 12, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Jason, looking forward to seeing you back where you belong.

Posted by: Section 109 | April 12, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

It's been painful to watch the season so far but it's early. The team seems disjointed and needs to be pulled together somehow. The young pitchers, Chico, Bergmann, and Lannan are all pitching with the shadow of being "sent down" over their shoulders..that's gotta be tough especially if they are working on mechanical problems at the same time. Our batting is in a major slump..maybe Willy Mo will bring a spark to the lineup.
The whole team has been losing, not one guy..Hey Bergie hang in there...Work on your stuff in Columbus & come on back!!

Posted by: NorthernNat | April 12, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Barry says now after 9 loses in a row....."all the preaching about how it's still early will mean little by the end of the month." Barry has been one of the loudest and most pompous voices in the "its still early chores" and defender belittler of those who point out Jimbo's flaws in how this roster is managed and put together. Remember his comment after 5 loses, "and excuse me for skipping over the parts about Jim Bowden is responsible for this current six-game losing streak.

Interesting that Barry now is seeing the sloppy play but not a few games back when I and many others were pointing it out. Maybe we could get Dave to write something about the dangers of accepting losing for a franchise. Acta still does not get it and the more he protests when people point out the problems the less confident I am in his role here. Example....."Millege is just 23 and learning to play", what a joke....if a 23 year old pro player has not learned to charge a ball and plays it so lazily that Matt Diaz who is not burner on the bases can easily turn it into a double then he never will learn it. He should have caught the first hit of the first inning today but got a bad jump even compared to his normal slow jump on balls hit to him. This babying approach by Acta continues to cause the Nats to play with no passion....why should they....Acta makes it clear that if you are under 30 you are "just learning to play the game" so all in forgiven.

Posted by: JayB | April 12, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

While Bergman may have struggled he did not get any run support from the rest of the team. If sending Bergman down is meant to be a message to the team (see Bowden's quote), well that just makes the management more pathetic. As someone said earlier, he is being made the fall guy. I did not expect the playoffs this year and even next year. However, I do want to see that management is serious about creating a competitive team. After the past offseason, I had misgivings and this 9 game losing streak just confirms it. Robinson may have had issues, but I doubt Milledge would have dared to half-a@@ today if Robinson was manager. Mangement need to understand that they are trying to reestablish baseball after a long absence and that requires spending bucks to bring in one to two free agents who will draw interest and be competitive. I dont expect to pull a Dan Snyder. If next offseason is like the past one, then they are no different than Loria. Remember, Leonsis did go out to get players even while rebuilding. That has to be done with the Nats.

Posted by: PatheticNats | April 12, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

There are 4 teams in all of baseball with lower payrolls than the nats. That's 4 -- out of six divisions. Folks, we are a quad-A franchise. Despitr the new (free to the Lerners) stadium. Disgraceful. And they're asking four our money?

Posted by: mk | April 12, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

The short bus has returned, I see.

You really think that it makes sense to have a 73 year old manager (Robinson)? Bergmann's ERA was over 10, for god's sake. You whine about how the Nats suck, then they send a pitcher like Bergmann down, and you whine about that. Who should they have sent down? Maybe they're not making a statement, they're just trying to get a better pitcher up here.

And, again, who are all these scenario-changing free agents that would want to come here? Free agents go to good, rich teams -- Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers. Tori Hunter may have said something about considering DC, but that's called LEVERAGE. In the history of professional sports, no player has actually gone to a team because they want to make a difference in the city's black (or Latin, or whatever) community, if they're offered more money and a better chance to win elsewhere. Get real.

Posted by: mike8 | April 12, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

My goodness.
A couple of rough weeks for the baseball team, and you guys get distinctly testy. Philadelphia is closer than it looks, I guess.

How about some congratulations for a new dad!

Posted by: MIB | April 12, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Jason your near no hitter against the Braves last year was one of my best Nats memories... I know you'll be back up here in DC soon.

Glad that WMP is back this lineup really needs a kick in the %^$ from some pop and not from another speech from Captain Red *&^.

9 in a row... something has to give at some point. Right?

Posted by: Nats Fan in KC | April 12, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Free agents go to good baseball teams that are trying to win. Not something we need to worry about here in DC. I also love how people always mention extreme examples like Tori Hunter or Aaron Rowand when denigrating the idea of signing free agents. There were cheaper ones available for one to two year contracts who could have helped while waiting for our new wonderful farm system.

You get what you pay for, and we are seeing that on the field.

Posted by: PatheticNats | April 12, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

how 'bout telling us who those cheaper 1-2 year contract FAs were, pathetic. the ones that would have made this a better team.

Posted by: 231 | April 13, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

It is a shame to see one person scapecoated when there are several others who don't play like they belong here as well. If this is a year in which defeat is acceptable then I would rather promote from the minors and see who can survive in the big leagues. Has Boone, Mackowiak, or Lo Duca impressed anyone yet? Harris at least got an extra base hit but he can't throw very accurately. Milledge looks raw in center field--is this really his "natural" position? I did not realize Guzman's fielding was this bad, not getting an error today was a gift to him. It just seems like there are 3 or 4 too many bad fielding plays per game cropping up. I know that this is a whiny little rant but there does not seem to be any chemistry that elevates the play of this team. There was something there for the first 3 games but that little flame has been snuffed out. Bowden's shake up is hopefully just the first wave of lineup changes or buttkicking that is so obviously needed. One has to wonder if Manny is capable of actually jerking some people around by the neck to get their attention or if he can delegate that to one of the coaches.

Posted by: Dale | April 13, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

DROP FLOP

Posted by: love | April 13, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

231....up to your same old, same old it seems.....this week how about a hitting cathcer better than Lo Duca.....Jason Kendall for the MIL he signed a one year contract this winter.....ya $13 Million is more than Lerners would pay for sure but just think what the record would be with him catching everyday.....Oh and Lohse is the still an easy pick as well....it really is not hard to find 1 - 2 year Free agents that would help this team....problem is they cost money and you somehow think money saved this year can be withdrawn in some future year.....looking at the culture of losing created by Acta I am not sure even when the youth is ready that it will matter. Acta is going to have to be replaced with a real Major League Manager sooner than later. I actually feel bad for him...He had to take the job and to survive he is losing his good name by accepting lazy, poor play.

Posted by: JayB | April 13, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I really do think Bergmann will be back up soon. The choice is between him and Lannan and this way they can take a little more of a look at Lannan in the majors, before the rotation settles down. My guess is that Jason is ultimately more ready.

I disagree that Manny needs to jerk people around. Part of what he's trying to teach these guys is to play the game on their own terms all the time, regardless of the situation. If he abandons his firm, but unemotional style now, all he's telling them is that when you lose nine in a row, you give up on who you are. I'm sure what he'll do is make it clear that the losing is tolerable, but the sloppiness is unacceptable. That's why he's a great manager.

Our resident haters: It feels like the worst thing that could happen in your world is for the Nats to break their losing streak because then you wouldn't be able to triumphantly march around in your righteousness. I hope that's not really true, is it?

Let's make a deal, just to reassure me that you really are fans and not in Peter Angelos's ilk. Us glass half-full folks will say something that really peeves us about this team and you negative nancies say something that you really like about this team.

I'm really annoyed at Milledge's defense in centerfield. I don't feel like it is major league ready and would like to see it improve drastically before I'm sold that he's the man for the middle.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 13, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Well said, 506. Everyone's piling on this team because they could not hit Smoltz's 95 mph heater and 93 mph slider. No one can hit that. He's a hall of fame pitcher going against a rookie who had to warm up twice because of a rain delay. Colome looked wonderful. What does this prove? That Randy St. Clair can coach em up, and that this will get better. Johann Santana of the $123 million contract is 1-3. He lost to the Brewers today, and said, "The other guy pitched better than me." Thee would have been no shame in John Lannan saying that. The other guy is a hall of famer, and tomorrow we get Glavine, who owned us last year. We all said, "Don't waste money on has-beens-let the kids learn." Well, that's what's happening.
This is only the 2d game that's been a blow-out For a young team, that's not bad. Has hate ever made anything better?

Posted by: flynnie | April 13, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

506-I take you up on your bet. I'm with 72 wins. (Diamond-Mine Projection blowout 6000 simulations.) They are green. They are in a tough division, and the Astros just shut out the Marlins, who stranded 14 on base. Did you find that the half-smoke all the way has a kick like a mule? Like John Patterson when he had his stuff on that unforgettable day in RFK, it packs a lot of heat.

Posted by: flynnie | April 13, 2008 2:00 AM | Report abuse

And all the best to the Rausch family on the happy event. Where can I send them a copy of this great book The Happiest Baby on the Block with the accompanying DVD? My baby daughter used these techniques on my grandson, and he is 19 months old and still happy. This book and DVD are an ace of mercy to young parents.

Posted by: flynne | April 13, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Great - Our GM is threatening people. Of course they're going to press and that makes more mistakes. Stay out of the clubhouse, Trader Jim. Leave it to Manny. You are about to break the spirit of this team. How did your "stern talk" do for Bergmann? And anyone having anything to do with the Nats, don't read this blog. It attracts way too many destructive people.

"The physical mistakes are going to happen," Bowden said. "The mental mistakes or carelessness is what's not acceptable. And it's going to have to change -- or we'll make more changes."

"I just think that everything negative's feeding in," Bergmann said. "I'm pressing. I've got good stuff, and I know I do. And I'm just leaving everything over the middle of the plate."

Posted by: flynnie | April 13, 2008 2:10 AM | Report abuse

I guess pathetic's mom made him go to bed, and that explains a lot. He's just a kid. If not, pathetic, let us all know what free agents we should have signed.

I've had some disagreements with flynnie, but he's right about the fact that we're facing the Braves. Also, the Marlins hit five home runs against the Astros on Friday, most, if not all, against Roy Oswalt. So suck on that.

Posted by: mike8 | April 13, 2008 2:39 AM | Report abuse

All the mistakes and losses are frustrating. But mistakes and losses are inevitable and beyond anyone's control. What's not inevitable is a lack of effort. That's why, for all the problems, the thing that bothers me most is when the Nationals fail to run out ground balls or fly balls. Guzman and Johnson, in particular, are guilty of this, though they're not alone.

Surely at this point Acta should be telling his players: the only thing we can control is how hard we play, and if you don't give me 100% effort, you're benched.

Having said that, let's keep things in perspective. We still get to see major league baseball, something not to take for granted. We have a very nice new ballpark. And we have an organization that does things the right way -- focused on the long-term and committed to the community.

Compare our situation to just four years ago. We are very fortunate.

Posted by: Sec 228 | April 13, 2008 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Harrisburg is in first place! Pontomac is in first place! Hagersville is tied for second! Yahoo!

Posted by: Jeeves | April 13, 2008 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Sell the Nats,
Your comments below does make one say the words, "Rich liberal guilt."

But regardless of the motivation, I applaud the Lerners for doing something for the community even if it doesn't benefit these kids where they live, so to speak.
______________________________________

""Marla Lerner Tanenbaum announced that the foundation has agreed to give $40,000 annually for the next three years to the Earth Conservation Corps"

Is the Lerner family really that disconnected from reality? Do they think ghetto kids are going to benefit from a cleaner environment rather than say a school lunch program?"

Posted by: swanni | April 13, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Observations:

* Milledge one day will be an All-Star, but might have to be a left fielder to accomplish it. He doesn't have fielding instincts so you're going to have to minimize the damage when he's out there. This means the Nats will need a CF next year; Pena goes to RF to battle Kearns with Pena winning that battle.

* The Nats will never hit consistently with Kearns batting fifth. He's a 15 HR, 70 RBI guy who needs to be further down the lineup.

* Leave Guzman at leadoff. He's an offensive force (thank god for Lasik!) now even if he doesn't walk.

* Put Willy Mo in the clean up position with Nick Johnson fifth. (Kearns sixth.) Willy Mo is the key to this lineup's success; if he hits, they will score. He'll see good pitches if he bats in between Zim and Nick.

* The pitching is a disaster thanks to management's decision to go cheap. It's time to shuffle the deck and deal a new hand -- Redding stays; Chico stays for now; Bergman is gone (and shouldn't come back as a starter because he's not a starter; he's a relief pitcher turned into a starter because this team refuses to spend money.) Ballester should come up and replace Lannan who looks like he needs a little more confidence out there; Perez stays; Hill moves in.

* Lopez needs to go -- even if the Nats agree to pay half his salary.

* LoDuba is looking like the baseball equivalent of Samson -- his needle was taken away from him and now he doesn't have the power to get the ball out of infield. Sad. If Estrada is ready, he should start.

Bottom line: This offense will score with Pena and Estrada in the lineup. But Manny better be ready to go to the bullpen early and often.

Posted by: swanni | April 13, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Bergmann, you're still a National and you're a class act. Keep working hard and get back here soon.

Those of you who are getting rid of your tickets: Good riddance. More room for us real fans.

I stayed through the end of the game yesterday. I haven't looked up the numbers yet but attendance looked awesome. Even with a rain delay and even with an 8-game losing streak. (Except behind home plate and those two weird empty sections in right field, of course).

There was one moment of joy for me at the game yesterday, but I'm afraid I'll jinx it. NO SWEET CAROLINE!!! And I watched carefully. There was definitely a mid-inning pitcher change for the Braves, which is exactly when they WOULD play it and they didn't.

I need more confirmation so if you hear it, please let me know. Otherwise, let me send a firm, sincere, THANK YOU to the powers who nixed that awful song that doesn't belong here.

Now. About the losing. It's like the other teams are hitting in the Great American Small Park and our hitters are still in RFK. They need to do some sort of RFK exorcism on our lineup.

Milledge most definitely looks like a little leaguer on his defense, but for some reason he didn't make me as mad as LoDuca did. The throw home yesterday probably wasn't the greatest throw and wasn't in time, but AGAIN he didn't even REACH for it.

LoDuca doesn't hustle but runs his mouth like he's all angry and "fired up." Whatever. Let me SEE fired up, HGH-pants. Otherwise keep your eyes forward and your cake hole shut. I got a baaaaad feeling about him and I want him off the team. The sooner the better.

That said, I'm still grateful for baseball in my town. These losses have just ratcheted down my expectations for this year, that's all. This might not be THE winning year, but we'll win.

Any Nationals reading this: I'm with you guys. Do better, but I'm with you.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Just a quick note before reading what folks have written:

Jason Bergmann- You have friends here on NJ. Good luck in Columbus, feel free to drop us a line. We will be rooting for you to get it back together and rejoin our rotation.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | April 13, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Bowden is the wrong GM to oversee a youth movement. You can't rely on young pitchers while publicly throwing them under the bus after a few bad appearances. How are young players supposed to develop then?

As a fan, I am willing to give guys like Lannan, Milledge and others a year or so to turn potential into performance. That means tolerating bad days like yesterday. But isn't that implied in the word "develop"?

Unlike Bowden, one guy who demonstrated class yesterday was Jason Bergmann. After being thrown into a new role and on short rest, he pitched terribly. But he still wrote a nice note to all of us at Nats Journal. We need more guys with that kind of character.

Nats Fan in KC is right. When all is said and done, Bergmann's near no hitter will remain as one of the big highlights of this young franchise. Can't say that about anything Bowden has done.

Posted by: Ashburn | April 13, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm just an occasional reader here, but is there a particular reason that you think that's really Jason B. that posts here? He gets sent to the minors, but then takes some time to post in this mess? I doubt it.

Posted by: babe ruth | April 13, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I was going to ask the same thing.

Posted by: Joe DiMaggio | April 13, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm burning my tickets.

I'm much smarter than anyone that works for the Nats, even though I've never even hit a ball, and I work for the government.

Who's Joe DiMaggio?

Posted by: the usual morons | April 13, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Lets talk possible trades. Sadly, but we know it, Nick Johnson is on the block. I'm sure the Yanks would like him. What do you think about Nick, Chad, Flop or Belliard for Cano and a yank minor leaguer.
Cano is only 26---Marrero, Cano, Guzman?, Zimm, Flores ...doesn't sound so bad if their talent prevails.

Good luck getting much for Kearns, Lo Duca, Young, FLOP. Greatest trade bait outside Johnson comes from the Pen. Some folks may get desperate for help come July.

Posted by: whatever | April 13, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Mommy let me out of bed and I am back. If there had been a little more hustle from the rest of the team, Bergman's ERA would not have been over 11.00. On the free agent front, I still dont understand why you dont try to get a Livan or Lohse. They are serviceable and can eat innings for a year while we allow the future to develop. I am not proposing that we commit to some ridiculous contact a la Hunter or Soriano but it seems that after the shock of spending 5 million for Lo Duca, the Nats did not seriously look or try at the market.

I also have to wonder if the team would have lost so many games if we were still in RFK. Yes I am a half-empty person but I was shocked by 9 straight losses along with seeing half-a@@ hustle.

You also have to wonder if we would have lost 9 straight with Schneider behind the plate.

Posted by: PatheticNats | April 13, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Well, since Cano is better than Johnson, younger than Johnson, and not as injury-prone as Johnson, and since the Yankees have a few brain cells, that'll never happen. Drink your coffee and come up with something that's a little more sensible.

Posted by: natsfan | April 13, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Fair question, George and Joe DiMaggio (where have you gone?). We believe it to be Jason because he's confirmed with the Blogfather (that's Barry) that he does drop in to NJ from time to time and has answered our questions in the past. Once he even did a pretty fun Q&A answer session where we posted a bunch of questions and Barry posted his (lengthy!) responses as a new thread.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 13, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

On another half-full note, attendance:

Monday 20K+
Wednesday 23K+
Thursday 24K+
Friday 28K+
Saturday 32K+

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they could trade Johnson and Cordero for ARod.

Posted by: Brain Cashman | April 13, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, section 506. I still am a little skeptical that someone would have the past few days that Jason has had, then get sent to the minors, but have time to post here. But I admire your faith, I guess.

Posted by: Joe DiMaggio | April 13, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

So you're proposing that they should have stayed in RFK?

The defense of Jason B's ERA is the funniest thing I've heard so far this morning.

Posted by: mike8 | April 13, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@mike8. I never proposed we should have stayed in RFK but RFK helped this team in the past. Do you always like to discuss things by sneering and calling people names. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I will now miscontrue your words. You just want to sit tight, blame Bergman for everything including all 9 losses, and just enjoy watching the Nats lose.

Posted by: PatheticNats | April 13, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

ironic coming from he who calls himself PatheticNats

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

actually, PN, I didn't mean that to come off as snide as it was. I just thought it was funny.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I just have little tolerance for such cluelessness and try to stay grounded in reality. Nowhere have I blamed JB for the Nats' losing streak, but every team in MLB would have sent him to the minors (if he was in the majors to being with), given his performance.

If they kept him, next time he got shelled, you'd criticize them for NOT sending him to the minors.

And, as I implied earlier, if you are a child, I apologize for my harshness.

Posted by: mike8 | April 13, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

And "sitting tight" would be keeping JB in the bigs, which is what you're advocating.

Posted by: mike8 | April 13, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Look at some stats -- the only pitchers in MLB that have a higher ERA than JB have pitched fewer than half as many innings as him.

Posted by: mike8 | April 13, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Joe D: Because popping online to see what has been written *about a significant event in your life* is so unlikely, and writing 4 lines of text takes so long...

NatsNut: Love how we're so often on the same page. Did you see my LoDuca rants in the last couple threads? :)

506: I think I've made my one sore spot about the team pretty clear in the last 24 hours (see above). The dude with an ego that's "writing checks his body can't cash." :)

And apologies to all for starting the whole "ticket burning" idea. It really was meant in complete sarcasm, as a response to a ridiculous idea for how to supposedly improve the team by another poster.

It's a new day, everyone. LET'S GO NATS!

Posted by: JennX | April 13, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I get great pleausre out of wathcing good baseball from the Nats. Zimmernam hustles after pop ups behind 3 like nobody I have ever seen. That is good baseball to me.

I love the new park and metro is working out great now.

I think the Ushers and ticket takers have been well trained to smile, joke and say think you to the fans which is great.

It is so nice to see Nick Johnso back and getting on base by working the count. That is also good baseball from someone who really worked hard to bet back.

Guzman runs hard every at bat and takes good approachs to the cutting the bases. Again good baseball.

Posted by: JayB | April 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Required reading for this morning, especially for all of you ticket-burning types:

The story is about teams that started off slowly and then made the playoffs. For example, the 2007 Phillies started 1-6 and Charlie M. was getting physical with reporters in his office. The 2007 Rockies were 18-27 and in last place in late May, and the owner was publicly threatening to fire Clint Hurdle. The 2007 Cubs lost 6 in a row to drop to 22-31, and their starting catcher and best pitcher got into a fistfight in the dugout. The 2005 Astros started 16-31 and the local paper ran a RIP tombstone for them (they played in the World Series). The 2003 Marlins were 19-29 and had just lost six in a row while batting .109 with RISP (sound familiar?). They rushed young prospect Dontrelle Willis to the majors and ended up winning the Series.

Nobody loves a losing streak. But, like a closer after a blown save, you can't dwell on it, you have to move on and expect the best from yourself going forward. That's what this team need to do now. Let's see if we can claw our way back to .500 by the end of the month.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 13, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Grounded in reality is apparently ignoring the poor playing of other Nats such as Milledge, Kearns, FLOP, LoDuca, etc... Sorry Mike but sending Bergman down isn't going to solve the Nats woes. Frank was too old but he would not have babied Milledge the way Acta has. Speaking of old farts - can you imagine how Bobby Cox would react to this kind of playing. Also if Belliard had made just one more catch, Bergman may not be looking quite as bad.

Posted by: PatheticNats | April 13, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

In the past half hour, I've heard Joe Girardi get blasted on the radio for letting washed up Mike Mussina pitch to Manny last night, and now they're blasting him on the Sports Reporters. Who was the guy here who thought all the Nats problems were due to the fact that Frank was fired, and they couldn't get Girardi?

Girardi may be a better manager than Acta, but none of us know that yet. And Girardi clearly makes mistakes, he made a huge one yesterday.

Posted by: natsfan | April 13, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I guess it would be possible, little lady, but it would certainly be unusual.

Posted by: Joe DiMaggio | April 13, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I really hope "little lady" is not directed at me.

Posted by: JennX | April 13, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Classy post by Jason.

Re. giving up on the team, for me, commitment to one's team is like commitment to one's spouse. I'm with the Nats for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health. Guess that makes me a die-hard?

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 13, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Well, you've already proven your naivete...

Posted by: Joe DiMaggio | April 13, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Also, adding my congrats on the new arrival for Mr. and Mrs. Rauch.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 13, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Joe D, you're new to Planet NJ, quite obviously. If that wasn't Jason Bergmann I'll burn my ... ummmm ... boxers? There's a history here, and we know it, and you don't. So lighten up.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 13, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"NO SWEET CAROLINE!!! And I watched carefully. There was definitely a mid-inning pitcher change for the Braves, which is exactly when they WOULD play it and they didn't."

They probably would have played it then, but we were hopelessly behind at that point and the crowd was streaming for the exits. Not the right spot for a "feel good moment" with that douchebag usher up on top of the Nats' dugout doing his little dance. All the Braves fans left in the crowd would not have known how to respond, and the bit would have fallen flat. The real test of whether or not Sweet Caroline survive is when there's an opponents pitcher change in a fairly tight game. I fear that whenever there is, that Red Sox song will be back. I think we're stuck with it.

By far the best moment of yesterday's game was when Clint had that Braves fan playing some lame "roll a quarter down your nose" game on the big screen, and Screech dumped a big cup of water over the guy's head. Abuse of opposing fans - finally a reason for Screech's existence! We need more of that, like when the Phillies and Mets are here.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 13, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Glad someone else shares my opinion of that usher.

Posted by: natsfan | April 13, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

wait, jayb, your defense is jason kendall? how come you didn't mention him all offseason, but suddenly bring him up now? because he's on a big roll to start the season? you mean you weren't interested in his crappy stats from the past two years this offseason, but suddenly when he's hot to start the season, you think the nats should have spent $13m on him?

whatever.

Posted by: 231 | April 13, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Amen, 231. And we shoulda signed Andruw Jones! Oh wait, he's hitting .105 with no dingers and 1 RBI. Crickets.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 13, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Flores was sent down to make room for WMP. Ugh

Posted by: nook logan circle | April 13, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

231 and Bob,

I love the way you have created your own Catch 22. Nothing can be done and nothing should have been done. Current status qou is as good as is can be and everything was done to as well as it could have been done thus creating the current status qou. It must be very simple to live in your world.

Posted by: JayB | April 13, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I want to join in on the comments on Jason Bergmann - thanks, your game last year against the Braves, outpitching John Smoltz, was certainly one of the highlights of my Nats-watching experience. I also look forward to your coming back, and best wishes.

I think the stadium and crowd are beginning to develop some of its own personality, which I like - if I never hear Sweet Caroline there again I will be quite happy. A couple of suggestions for stadium management - when you list birthdays, start with the players. I do recall last year when it was Austin Kearns's birthday that he was first on the list. Thanks yesterday to those fans who did the impromptu chorus of Happy Birthday for Paul Lo Duca.

I would also like to hear something other than the taped intro of the presidents' race, maybe vary it with pre-recorded film of the presidents running on the mall, and some other story line schtick. In fact, a presidents' race intro might be a great contest, with lots of winners.

Posted by: Traveler | April 13, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Barry,

I thought the plan was to send Flores down to AA Harrisburg not AAA Columbus where he was just sent...

Posted by: natsinthevalley | April 13, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Flores going down is fine, that means that Estrada is ready, and Flores will get the every day playing experience that he needs.

Posted by: Traveler | April 13, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Jason Bergmann=Class Act.

Jason, good luck down at Columbus. You will be back soon, I'm sure.

As for all the people pushing the panic button...Relax. I don't think anyone is happy about 9 losses in a row but, it is very, very early. Manny will get them turned around...starting today. Go Nats!

Posted by: Section 505/203 | April 13, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

JennX, yes I did see your AWESOME rant about LoDuca. We are definitely on the same page about him.

It really breaks my heart Flores is going back down. He's not making any more mistakes than HGH-boy, but Flores HUSTLES and he HITS.

Go to that other blog and rant a little more about Sweet Caroline, just to make sure it's gone for good. I'm hoping the more griping the FO hears about it, the better.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I guess two swinging K's last night was just what WMP needed last night at Charlotte to show he is all healed and ready to K at the ML level.

Posted by: PanicJimBo | April 13, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

As long as they are letting everyone else learn in the majors (pitchers, milledge), why not Flores too? Let him start, I say

*********

Posted by: Traveler | April 13, 2008 11:58 AM

Posted by: nook logan circle | April 13, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

JayB,
I LOVE your good baseball post. I don't care how bad you're losing, you're still going to see good baseball. Sometimes you have to pay closer attention, but there's definitely good baseball to see, always.

Thanks for injecting that little reminder.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

N-valley, they changed the plan for Flores about a week or so. We've speculated on the reasons here but there has been no official word on the rationale for the change. I think our best guess was that they figured he might as well catch the pitchers in AAA since those are (hopefully) the guys he'll be catching up here when he gets back. All this means for now is that Estrada is healthy and they can implement the original plan for Flores. We all love him here but if you're a Fan of the Plan then you have to accept this (grudgingly).

Jason Bergmann -- you're one of about 19 candidates to be sent down and you drew the short straw because (a) you pitched yesterday and were not exactly lights-out, like everyone else on the staff; and (b) your next turn in the rotation gets skipped. Your fans here are sure we'll see you in a few weeks. Go get 'em in Columbus.

JayB, it's "status quo" not "status qou." And that's really all that needs to be said.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 13, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I am old school baseball thats why I believe Frank Robinson should have never been shown the door yes he was a hard nose but thats what this game needs,in a era of steroids, poor fundamentals,and a serious lack of hustle Frank was grounded,a HOF who transformed a franchise(BALTIMORE)into a standard for baseball excellence, this franchise needed a man like that but we have a Gm who thinks he knows it all and felt threatend by Franks baseball knowledge now Jim Bowden along with Stan Kasten have convinced the Lerners, who know nothing about how to develop a winning baseball franchise at their mercy.I have read some of the responses on this blog concerning Frank and I am wondering if any of these criticism's of Frank are rooted in a general lack of baseball acumen one person cited his age Frank has forgotten more baseball than Jim or Stan will ever know if Frank had Stan Kasten job this franchise would not be enduring this current slide,Manny's too laid back he is more interested in being their friend for whatever reason Jim Bowden thinks Manny has a link to the excellent crop of Latin American ballplayers that will not translate to winning baseball in Washington. I laughed out loud when I read that Jim Bowden had stern words for Jason Bergman after one of his bad outings,what exactly qualifies this know nothing to give advice,thats why Manny the manager Frank would have never tolerated that type of interference.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 13, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Sending down Flores was the logical move. As frequently as they use the bullpen, this team can't afford to carry three catchers. And catching every day somewhere is exactly what Jesus needs anyway.

Posted by: blue son | April 13, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Man things just keep getting worse for the Nats. Meanwhile, the O's got yet another win. You all should seriously consider jumping on this O's bandwagon while it's early. There may not be room on it later. We've got a winning team, a beautiful ballpark, and delicious crabcakes..

BTW, how's the attendance looking? Can't even sell out the 1st weekend game in the brand new stadium? Yikes!!

Posted by: O's Exec | April 13, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Just get rid of Lo Duca and all the Nats' problems will disappear. This man is not only an a@@hole, he's a black hole...sucking all life around him into an inescapable abyss.
No trade. No discussion. Just cut and release.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | April 13, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey O's Exec, you have a sense of humor and are a baseball fan, and you are in the same position as many of us, rooting for a young flawed team that has more of a future than a present. Why not drop the schtick and make a real contribution here instead of playing the troll?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 13, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

231, I have a question. email me at natsnut@gmail.com.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

As a glass-half-full guy I have to say something negative, per 506:

I hate inherited runners scored. Sure, it's going to happen sometimes, but it's been happening virtually every time so far this season. The 'pen needs to pick up the starters! More often than not, they've not only failed to strand runners, but have also earned their own runs, even in innings where the bases start clean.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 13, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Jason - The line between being marginal and good (even great) is very fine. As you stated, it seems like the mental part is your last obstacle. I'm sure you will work it out because your stuff is as good as 90 % of the pitchers out there. I really think you are class and I will be rooting for you as you are now a favorite of mine.

Good luck Jason!

Tommy

P.S.

I wish you could incorporate more of the sinker but your 3/4 delivery may not allow you to get on top of the ball enough.

Posted by: Nats4Tommy | April 13, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree, O's Exec, tell us what you really hope and fear about a team in a similar situation. Are you okay with moving Bedard, I don't know that I would have been so pleased about that. We'll obviously know better in five years.

JayB, thanks for telling us some of your positives.

Joe DiMaggio, I know you're used to the '40s and '50s, but that sort of condescension towards females will hopefully get you the fat lip you deserve these days. Please make note of this.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 13, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

bite me.

Posted by: Joe diMaggio | April 13, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

My pleasure......there is good baseball to be seen, I just have a real problem when Acta Babies 23 year old professionals. Milledge is nothing special and his acceptance of his play just tells the rest of the team that his expectations are low....people tend to perform to their bosses expectations. Acta must raise expectations of play and wins will come. Send Millege down and put Langerhans in center for a week (yes a huge step down in talent but he plays hard and that is what Nats need to learn........Listings will get the message much quicker and it will last much longer......This Acta approach may never work.

Posted by: JayB | April 13, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay, the Nats have Wily Mo back, but REST Nick Johnson, the best guy capable of getting on base?!? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?

Posted by: Juan-John | April 13, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing to make the lineup more RH friendly since they're facing the southpaw, Glavine.
----------------------

Posted by: Juan-John | April 13, 2008 1:16 PM

Posted by: e | April 13, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Some serious snark in today's dead trees edition;

"Parking at Nationals Park. Despite dire predictions, all goes smoothly so far. Apparently, team's strategy of having fans remain at home is paying off."

There. I just posted two negative things in a row. Now I am putting on my Ovechkin jersey and heading out to see my other team that had a plan. One that just came to fruition.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 13, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I can understand what you're saying, JayB, but I just don't see it as babying and I don't see him saying that sloppy play is acceptable. What we're both talking about, I think, is what he's communicating in his decision-making. I guess we won't really know what was communicated until September, but I'm glad I can now appreciate better your desire to make sure the right message gets to the team - which is a familiar desire. Thanks, I think I'll be able to not be so far off base when I read your posts anymore.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 13, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, doesn't Nick take almost every Sunday off? Or, rather, isn't he given almost every Sunday off?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 13, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

JayB doesn't believe it's possible to learn anything past the age of 23, that you must be fully formed by that age, never to improve. Unfortunately, JayB hasn't yet learned how to spell, and sadly his reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired as he reads bylined articles by Sheinin and then quotes them as being written by Barry. Too bad, too, because I suspect JayB is much older than 23, which means he'll never get any better. And why should we think his baseball acumen is any better than the rest of what he has in his tool set?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 13, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 13, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

For my obligatory GHF negative item, I pick scrolling through bile-venting, finger-pointing, and trolling posts? ;)

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 13, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

there was supposed to be a "may" before the "I" in my post...

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 13, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Pout. We didn't get lineups from Barry.

Speaking of, I cracked up when someone wrote the other day that it was "past feeding time." LOL!

We really *are* like a bunch of hungry little chicks, mouths open, squawking for a morsel.

Also, Mr. Anonymous? We own up to our posts around here.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse