Estimated start time: 2:35 p.m.

The grounds crew just made a move for the tarp. They just announced we're looking for a 2:35 p.m. start.

Plenty of time to Build-a-Screech, or whatever you do here.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 12, 2008; 2:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Foundation News -- and some baseball
Next: Anyone still watching?

Comments

Fifth!

Posted by: McBride | April 12, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Go Northwestern!!!

Go O's.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 12, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Thank God Charlie and Dave are finished taking phone calls. They were f'ing BRUTAL!!!!

Posted by: MKevin | April 12, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

what the hell is with masn, its like 10 seconds of silence every 30 seconds....get it together

Posted by: love | April 12, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

What the #@%$^? This is going to be loss number 9 - bases loaded, only one out, and it's already 4-0. This is bad, really bad...fortunately a double play just killed the threat...but with our inability to come back, this does not look good at all...

Posted by: BSG | April 12, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@bsg "inability to come back"

to be accurate, we have shown an ability to come back, just not far enough. us half-glassed folks think that's better than not coming back at all. one of these days we're going to make a mistake and come back far enough to win. i like our chances of that better because we have scored runs in some games when we were behind...

Posted by: natty bumppo | April 12, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

austin "i stink" kearns!!
austin "i stink" kearns!!

my name is kearns. austin "i stink" kearns!!!

Posted by: dk | April 12, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Kearns gets just enough hits to bat .250. Unfortunately, he gets few of those hits when it actually counts.

Posted by: Ed | April 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ed | April 12, 2008 3:11 PM

EXACTLY! thank you.

Posted by: dk | April 12, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

It just keeps getting worse. I'm guessing Lannan has just sealed his fate as the guy who gets sent down when Hill comes off the DL - especially with the way Chico pitched last night.

Posted by: MKevin | April 12, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

The nats will lose until I win.

Posted by: teddy | April 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is Don Sutton wearing?

Posted by: ALC | April 12, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I just realized that Jason Bergmann is pitching. What the...?

Posted by: JennX | April 12, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

i'm wondering if bergmann coming out of the bullpen means that chico and lannan will both stay in the rotation.

Posted by: 231 | April 12, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

OY! Back to back homers?! Dang.

Posted by: JennX | April 12, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Also, can I just say how irritated I'm getting with all the concern for Lo Duca's feelings about losing. (Bob and Don-- "Lo Duca's a competitor. This must be hard for him.") Ya know... boo friggin hoo. If he was slamming HRs right and left, getting on base occasionally, or even just throwing out a base stealer from time to time, I'd have some sympathy. But to say he's a "competitor" and to imply he somehow feels this more acutely than his teammates... Why? Why does he deserve that distinction? The guy isn't doing squat. Even his "double" on Thurs night was only thanks to some bobbling in the outfield, and giving him credit for this ignores the fact that, had he been hustling, he easily would have been standing at third at the end of that play.

Posted by: JennX | April 12, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Look...I would love to be optimistic, and I appreciate those who are, but I can not see any reason to be right now as the Braves jack back-to-back homers to make it 10-1. I'll eat my hat if we're able to come back today. This is bad. We're getting to the point where it's not so early in the season anymore. We're pathetic at this point, and I see no sign of things turing around anytime soon. People have been saying at least we're not the Tigers, but even they didn't drop 9 in a row. At first, the losses were close one-run games, but this is the third time this week we've given up 10 runs. Most of the lineup is not hitting (3rd worst team in hitting according to Bob and Don), Lannon and Bergmann have struggled today, Rauch, and the bullpen in general, have been ineffective at best, and the list goes on. The only bright thing I've noticed lately is Chico's performance last night, which was wasted. I was hoping for a .500 season, but that's not going to happen now. I've got a partial season ticket plan, and I'm sure I'll be back at the park many more times (at least as of right now), but they're going to have to turn things around to keep my support. Tomorrow's game is huge...either we get a W to avoid the third straight sweep and start our road trip on a slightly positive note, or we continue to dig the hole deeper.

Posted by: BSG | April 12, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

This is a classless orginization,as long as they refuse to honor Frank Robinson,I hope they lose 120 He helped usher in the return of baseball in this city and in their "wisdom" they can't or won't have a Frank Robinson Day at the new stadium.Upper management was too stupid to even find a meaningfull job for this HOF as if they have the "corner" on baseball knowledge Frank has forgotten more baseball than Jimbo and Stan will ever know but trust me they will "reap what they sow" nine in a row that is just the tip of this iceberg on this sinking ship.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 12, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Gee...the bases are loaded with two outs and Kearns hits a comebacker to the pitcher. That's another major part of the problem - I can't remember the last time the Nationals actually came through with a clutch hit.

Posted by: BSG | April 12, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

bases loaded for austin "i stink" kearns. and there it is a mean dribbler back to the mound.
WOW!

obp? how bout obp when theres some1 on base and it matters?

austin kearns. what a rally killer.

Posted by: dk | April 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

if you're going to be negative, at least get the story straight, DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM.

frank doesn't *want* to come back for a frank robinson day. he was asked last season and he declined.

now, it's fair to say the way he was dismissed from the team was done awkwardly, at best, and he may have a right to be unhappy about it and refuse to come back. but since the team *has* offered to have a frank robinson day, it's unfair to attack the team for not offering one (not that facts have stopped many on this blog from attacking).

i'd love to see it happen, but frank has to want it, too.

that said, i wasn't unhappy he was let go. he was good for the team for the first couple of years, and his press conferences were entertaining, overall he was never a great manager. while i won't agree with some here that manny's the greatest thing since sliced bread, he's a very good manager and i'm not missing frank.

Posted by: 231 | April 12, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse