Frank Robinson in town Saturday

Former Nationals manager and Hall of Famer Frank Robinson will be honored by the Library of Congress on Saturday as a "Living Legend." The ceremony will help mark the opening of the "Library of Congress Experience," which offers visitors the opportunity to explore rare historical and cultural treasures through interactive technology and a companion Web site. Detailed information on the Experience can be found at at this Web site.

Robinson is one of seven honorees, joining driver Mario Andretti, civil rights activist Julian Bond, composer and keyboard player Herbie Hancock, historian and biographer David McCullough, author and journalist Cokie Roberts, and veteran CBS correspondent Bob Schieffer.

Heady company.

Lineups after I get back from the clubhouse. A very very nice day out here.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 9, 2008; 3:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roster issues -- and a chat
Next: Shawn Hill: Columbus on Sunday

Comments

Of course the page updated as I posted this, so here it is again:

Oh, my.

Barra Brava- No, not racism. I was remembering back to some articles I had read about DC United, and made a comment which may have been off the mark, but not mean-spirited. My comment about the possible effects on attendance were an extension of the stories on local soccer leagues which are suffering because players are not willing to play for fear of being harrassed. I meant my wish of good will for DCU and the fans.

So, no apology here for comments that I threw out for discussion, not out of spite. I had been tempted to needle soccer snobs who hate the Nats, but I instead thought about (a subset? a loyal portion?) of the DCU fanbase that just wants to root for their team, but is part of a community (legal or otherwise) that is under pressure in this area right now. If they are not a majority of the fanbase, feel free to call me an ass, but not a racist.

Thanks for defending me, friends, and I have no ill-will, Barra B. Just one thought, though- what brought you to the discussion? Are you a baseball fan, too?

Posted by: Positively Half St | April 9, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh to be a fly on the wall in THAT press conference!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 9, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The manager who got us closest to the playoffs! 2005 was great!

Posted by: flynnie | April 9, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

There's a new sabremetric study by two physicists (one at the U. of Toulouse and one at- guess where? BU!) in which they say that streaks are random numeric and not self-feeding events. So take heart, PlanetNats (a huge Daily Planet-like globe that turns at the same speed of Mother Earth would be better than the Huge Baseball!) This losing streak is as doomed as my last winning streak in Vegas!

Posted by: flynnie | April 9, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

The link doesn't work.

Please don't continue the racism conversation here.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Well, since we are talking of Vegas, what is the over under on tonight's crowd? I say 22k.

Posted by: 6th and D | April 9, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

copy/paste the link and it will work.

Posted by: 231 | April 9, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

So I guess J-Max is not in the line-up for tonight. Too bad, I was really hoping for an upgrade to LF.

On the positive side, it sounds like WMP will be back up soon. If he starts in Columbus Monday or Tuesday he should certainly be ready by the time the Nats get back from their next roadtrip on the 23rd to face the Mets.

Posted by: estuartj | April 9, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Lopez did alright in left on Monday night and he wasn't bad at the plate either.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 9, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

A good night for a game! Come to the ballpark!

I'm already planning my dinner menu - Five Guys or HardTimes? (Had Ben's for the opener).

Posted by: Section408 | April 9, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

3/4 with 2 runs scored and 3rbis is a great night, but do you really want a starting Left Fielder who is slugging .278 for the year and only .398 career?

His OPS for the year is .595 which is embarrasing even for a utility guy, let alone a starter - and his career OPS of .723 doesn't look much better.

To use Lopez as a spot starter in left as part of his backup/utility role is fine, especially against righties (tonight is a lefty), but are we really supposed to accept him as our starting left fielder for the next 2 weeks till WMP gets back?

Posted by: estuartj | April 9, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Frank Robinson as the manager seems so long ago already. Baseball years go by really fast.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 9, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I know that the Nationals are still working at establishing their identity in this market, but to just ban a baseball icon was classless and wrong. Frank Robinson has done more for the game of baseball than this ownership and management ever will. I think it would be fitting for the team to retire No. 20 in his honor.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 9, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I have come to the conclusion that nothing is more destructive to baseball fans than a day off.

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 9, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The cost for a family with kids has come up a few posts back as one reason why pepl may not be attending. I think last week I posted a link to this table containg the Fan Cost Index, which tracks the average cost per ticket and the average cost per game for a group of 4 making typical adult and kid purchases (food, souvenirs, age-appropriate beverages, etc. . .).

The Nats this year rank 16th in average ticket cost ($25 per seat) and 13th in cost per foursome ($195.50). That's slightly above Major League average ($191.75), and a big boost from last year(17th and 24th, $21.11 and $147.94). However, given our pitch for the team was based on how wealthy the area market and how large it is, these levels do not look unsustainable and are unlikely to be the cause of the vacant seats.

The Link:

Os Exec - you guys are 17th ($23.85) and 20th ($165.40), w/o crab cakes. No wonder people find it cheaper to fly in for EE#4 (former #2) games - average ticket in Fenway is $48.80 and average cost for foursome is $320.71!

Posted by: PTBNL | April 9, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Frank Robinson is still alive? You could have fooled me based on watching the '06 Nats.

Posted by: Frank Who? | April 9, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

you have a fascination with 7 games worth of stats, estuartj... :P

seriously, you should look at all the LF who have an even worse OPS than flopez at this point. soriano (335), crawford (338), dunn (505), bay (584), damon (594).

i'll grant you his lifetime OPS isn't worthwhile of the position, but, as i've said before, stats for this year so far are pretty much meaningless.

Posted by: 231 | April 9, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

PTBNL, i was the one that made the reference about kids and game costs, but i was referring to baseball overall, not just the nats. while the nats aren't worse than most in baseball (and to be fair, median numbers are skewed by things like the diamond club and limited numbers of cheap seats), the fact that it looks like almost $50/head for a family of 4 shows how difficult it is for a family to bring their kids to many games, unlike, say, in the 70s, which explains in part why the % of non-americans in the sport has continued to grow.

Posted by: 231 | April 9, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

um, losing streaks? :)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 9, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure "average ticket cost" is a useful measure of how expensive it is to go to a park. The Nats have thousands of $5 and $10 seats. And you can bring in your own food and water if you like. So the fact that the average ticket price is skewed upwards by the $300 seats behind home plate is irrelevant -- the folks sitting (errr ... not sitting) in those seats are not keeping fans out of the upper deck.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 9, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Frank.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 9, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Did you all enjoy that picture I linked to in the previous thread showing a "packed" Nats Park? Hahaha, it was a good laugh

As for Frank Robinson, what team did he lead to the World Series? Was it the Nats? Nope. Was it the Orioles? OH YEAH.

Too bad none of his O's-ness couldn't rub off on the Nats.

C'mon guys it's ok to admit that deep down you're fans of the O's, THE FIRST PLACE, O's and are only rooting for the Nats because of pity.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 9, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Link for Library of Congress should be fixed. My apologies.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | April 9, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

231 - my point is that he isn't hitting right now and that his career numbers show he will never hit well enough to justify starting in Left Field.

If your worried about putting the best team on the field to win TONIGHT I think his stats for the last 7 games are certainly relevant. My argument is that with DY on the DL we should have either called up Maxwell to replace him or if you need Estrada as a PH then Flores should have been optioned to AAA and Maxwell called up in his place.

I like that Estrada's being on the roster makes it easier to use Jesus Flores as a PH vs lefties (Estrada then being your emergency catcher), but I don't believe keeping Lopez as a full time starter until Willy Mo Pena is back is making best use of the team's assets to win baseball games.

Posted by: estuartj | April 9, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

'nother new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 9, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

How about a day off in the midst of a losing streak?

----
um, losing streaks? :)

---

Posted by: lowcountry | April 9, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

DON'T TRADE NICK! Especially for prospects a/k/a suspects! I don't care if you're offered the next Whitey Ford, Mickey Mantle, and Ozzie Smith! No! We need to have a reason to come to the park this year, and the New Nick is sparkly in the field and disciplined and dangerous at the plate. And do we have any confidence that Trader Jim will get real value for him? I mean, look at the trades so far and the FA signings!

Posted by: flynnie | April 9, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

i would argue that those 7 games worth of stats *AREN'T* necessarily relevant to putting the best team on the field to win tonight.

unless you're saying that we'd be better off tonight with flopez in LF instead of soriano, crawford, dunn, pence, or bay.

i won't disagree that (a) flopez is bad out there or (b) we might not be better off with maxwell there. i just think using this week's stats isn't the best way to make that judgment. any more than using the week of july 10 to make that judgment, either. 7 games is too small a sample to mean anything. especially for flopez, since he hasn't actually played 7 games. he's got all of 19 ABs. and yet he's outhitting soriano! ;)

Posted by: 231 | April 9, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

In his 5:02 post, O's Exec somehow managed to get his apostrophes and possessives correct. In fact, but for the misplaced comma in the last sentence, the comment is almost literate. Still, it's a vast improvement from yesterday.

All this belies the more fundamental question: Do the Orioles fans just not have their own blogs to comment on?

Posted by: Nats Season Ticket Holder/Grammar Police | April 9, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Cheeseburger (no bacon) and Fries at the Five Guys will set you back $14. The requisite two beers another $15. Bon Appetit.

Posted by: Dinner Tonight | April 9, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

In D.C., even better.

---

How about a day off in the midst of a losing streak?

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 9, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Frank, and give credit where it's due: he's a living link to a long-dead era in Orioles baseball, back when they were the envy of the league (and winning me money, against the Mets in the World Series).

Posted by: MIB | April 9, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

But Mr. In-Between, the Mets won the Series in five games in 1969.

Posted by: CE | April 9, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, I won me some money on that one.

But Mr. In-Between, the Mets won the Series in five games in 1969.

Posted by: CE | April 9, 2008 7:52 PM

Posted by: MIB | April 9, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

But to be fair, again (and we want to be nothing if not fair, otherwise someone might call us names, and we hate that), Frank had one of my favorite fired-baseball-manager quotes, from 1988, when Baltimore dumped him in the beginnings of what became a season-starting 121 game losing streak (ok, it was only 21): "Looks like I got out just in time!!"

Posted by: MIB | April 9, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie, I agree it would be tough for them to get decent value, nevermind a bargain, in trading Nick, but, seriously, you wouldn't want to see the next Whitey Ford, Mickey Mantle, AND Ozzie Smith?? Even Nick's Mom would pay to see that.

***********************

Posted by: flynnie | April 9, 2008 5:15 PM

Posted by: CEvans | April 9, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Turn in your badge, GramPol. You missed the double negative, and the missing period, among other things.

Nats Season Ticket Holder/Grammar Police | April 9, 2008 5:26 PM