Imagine all the strikeouts ...

John Lannan has somehow struck out 10 Mets through five innings. We're in the bottom of the sixth now. That is obviously a career high.

His previous career high? Um, four. Against St. Louis earlier this year.

Only three other Nationals have struck out at least 10 in a game since baseball returned to Washington. Two of them did it twice.

Can you name them? And the games? (This is the part where the duck waddles across the screen and quacks.)

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 17, 2008; 8:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups -- and Frank Robinson in the house
Next: Trivia answers

Comments

Crap! He nearly had number 11!

Posted by: Positively Half St. | April 17, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Bergmann v. Atlanta and probably Patterson sometime in 05.??

Posted by: NatsNut | April 17, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

13 - JPatterson vs. the Marlins in 06
13 - JPatterson vs. the Dodgers in 05
10 - Bergmann vs. the Braves in 07

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 17, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

13 - JPatterson vs. the Marlins in 06
13 - JPatterson vs. the Dodgers in 05
10 - Bergmann vs. the Braves in 07

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 17, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

13 - JPatterson vs. the Marlins in 06
13 - JPatterson vs. the Dodgers in 05
10 - Bergmann vs. the Braves in 07

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 17, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Just got the subject line's musical pun, there, Barry, ouch... (but funny, though!)
I know Bergmann was one, I thought the same as NN about possibly JP, did Livo fan 10 at one point?

Posted by: nats del negro | April 17, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Apologize for the multiple posts. Slow server on my end.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 17, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

You know, it is amazing. if I imagine myself as a lifelong-Mets fan again, as I was before the Nats came, it makes perfect sense that the mets are behind in this game.

I feel that I can hardly win. 1986 stands as my one year of baseball glory. I remember my team losing in the 1973 World Series, and I remember the 1969 hat I wore as a 1st grader.

I want success here, and badly. I will wait for it, but I want it to be decisive, and dramatic.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | April 17, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Positively Half St. | April 17, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Positively Half St. | April 17, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I would also have to guess Livo at some point. Though maybe Ortiz when he almost had that no hitter?

Posted by: nattaboy | April 17, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

When was it exactly that it became mandatory for managers to treat young starting pitchers as though they were recovering drug addicts? In an era where athletes are reaching new standards of conditioning with each passing year, somehow baseball pitchers are capable of throwing fewer and fewer innings. Drives me up a freaking wall.

Posted by: Steve Carlton | April 17, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse