Ladies and gentlemen, Felipe Lopez

My goodness. The Nationals second baseman is 2 for 3 with a walk, a two-run single and a grand slam. That would be 6 RBI.

Nationals lead 7-3. O'Connor already pitched a scoreless inning. It's now up to Saul Rivera and, I suspect, Luis Ayala and Jon Rauch to nail this baby down.

Doesn't mean they haven't played some sloppy baseball again tonight. But there's a chance, now.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 24, 2008; 9:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Milledge: Late scratch
Next: One in a row!

Comments

yay for felipe!!

Posted by: first :) | April 24, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

So MASN gives MLB.com video footage of the Beltran homerun, but declines to give footage for the Lopez homerun. What's up with that?

Posted by: SF Fan | April 24, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Can we keep Willy Nieves?

I mean, has he given us ANY reason not to keep him?

I am perfectly OK with the Lerners paying Lo Duca 5 million to leave.

Estrada can still do backup.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | April 24, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see that O'Connor is in position for the win in his first game back.

Boy, he is skinny, though! I'm envious.

Posted by: Ashburn | April 24, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Baseball is a funny game. Put me on the Lopez bandwagon.

Nice to see someone else making errors tonight. We sure could use a lucky stretch.

Posted by: lowcountry | April 24, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

What did you do with my team????

Maybe its the euphoria of a 10-4 lead and the 6 RBI by Lopez, and the Wiz kicking butt, but it is crazy to suggest the Nats should resign both Guzman and Lopez? Just a thought....

Posted by: joNAThan | April 24, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

from mlb.com:
Thumb infection hospitalizes Schneider

Hope he gets better! Supposedly a trip to a DL is possible.

Posted by: SF Fan | April 24, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Of course I had to go last night's game instead of tonight. Must be nice sitting there tonight with all the sullen quiet Mets fans.

Posted by: DkNatsFan | April 24, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Ray becomes a free agent if he refuses to report to Columbus. If I read Barry's summary of Bowden's comments, Ray consented to the option when he signed his contract. I think his choice is report or go on a restricted list. So, perhaps there is more than 72 hours to cut a deal. Dunno.

As far as deals, there are plenty of teams in the AL who might want a LOOGY. One guy to watch might be Joe Thurston, who was recently designated for assignment by the Red Sox. They might want more of pure LOOGY than Javier Lopez. While he's done nothing on his call ups, he's had a .785 and .792 OPS his past two years at AAA, can play OF, 2d and 3d. The Nats actually signed him in November 2006 but rreturned him the Phillies (Rule 5?). Had a good spring. I'm not sure if he can hold a major league roster spot, though.

Also, a repost:
During the 7th inning stretch - a quick thought / topic: with Chico's new high leg kick, can he really pitch out of the bullpen? If he's brought in mid-inning, he goes straight to the stretch. So if he's banished, does he only come in to start innings?

Posted by: PTBNL | April 24, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

What the hell? They are PULLING THE BALL! I told them to hit it the other way no matter what! Why won't they listen to me?

Posted by: Fake Lenny Harris | April 24, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's terribly crazy unless you can trade for or sign someone better for a longterm deal to see either or both sign for 2 year deals. Early odds give Guzman the better shot with his hot start and play from last year when he was healthy. NotFLop though may force his way into their plans (But don't ever forget who his agent is!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: joNAThan | April 24, 2008 9:51 PM

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Dang. I had planned to hit the rack early tonight, and then they go and pull this crap...

Posted by: N@sfan | April 24, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I prefer FeLo (pronounced Fey-Low) for Felipe. It is nice to be yelling it with excitement rather than disappointment, too.

Posted by: Brewer | April 24, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey - I just heard that it was Elijah in the Teddy suit last night as part of his rehab. Anyway, that's just what I heard...

Posted by: N@Sfan | April 24, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm also on the wil Nieves bandwagon. Love the energy and the game calling. And he's actually hitting. Please, Nats, keep him around.

Posted by: s | April 24, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: N@Sfan | April 24, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DkNatsFan | April 24, 2008 9:54 PM
----
that's what we've been saying all night too. glad to have a kindred soul along for the ride.

Posted by: N@sfan | April 24, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

jooo-see, jose, jose, jooo-see, jose, jose...

Posted by: N@sfan | April 24, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

just guessing but I think the right field fence is reachable.

Posted by: ptbnl | April 24, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I am glad that I did not have time to post in the early innings because I would have said uggh, the song remains the same. But this is better, a key hit, a homer no less, from a guy we really need to come around. Go Felipe, go WMP. Atta boyz.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 24, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I'd ever seen Felipe smile before tonight. It was nice to see. Also, he looked hot. (But he also looks hot pouting, brooding, spacing out...) :)

C'mon Big Jon!

Posted by: JennX | April 24, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

yeah, dem bums!

Posted by: N@sfan | April 24, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm on my feet cheering!

Posted by: lowcountry | April 24, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

SCHWEEET!

Posted by: N@sfan | April 24, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Bang, zoom go the fireworks!

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Bang! Zoom! (so good to hear!)

Posted by: lowcountry | April 24, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Call me superstitous - but I want Nieves and Harris in the line-up all weekend.

Posted by: lowcountry | April 24, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: is up! | April 24, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes! An outbreak of hitting for the Nats - hope that it's contagious and chronic. Attaboy, Felipe! AttaNats! (I'm on board with keeping Nieves, too.)

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 24, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse