Lannan likely Sunday; Lopez to LF?

So Jim Bowden just dropped a couple of potential bombs.

One isn't so surprising. John Lannan will likely be recalled to pitch Sunday's game in St. Louis. This means neither Jason Bergmann nor Tim Redding will have to pitch on short rest. And before you ask: No word on who would go down. As Bowden said, "A lot can happen between now and Sunday."

Here's the thinking: "We're leaning toward John Lannan," Bowden said. "He certainly earned to be part of our rotation in spring training, but we'll make that determination after Saturday's game, what we decide to do. We could always use the bullpen for one start. ... I think Lannan deserved to be in our rotation out of spring training, and the only reason he didn't come north is because we only needed four starters."

Now, the even more interesting part. Bowden was asked an innocuous question about long-term solutions for left field depending on the health of Wily Mo Pena and Elijah Dukes. And he just feathered in that they could use Harris, Mackowiak or Lopez out there.

You hear that needle drag across the record? Yeah, me too.

Before we start thinking "Soriano: Part Deux", let's relax. Yes, Lopez took some fly balls today during BP. But I'm not convinced Manny Acta wants to run him out there just yet. Here's the GM's thinking.

"This is a guy that's always had good jumps and angles on baseballs," Bowden said. "You've seen him on pop-ups and fly balls. He's always been one of our better guys on that, so I think you could put Felipe at second, short, third, right, center, left and I think he could play any of those positions."

Sound familiar, Alfonso?

Anyway, we'll have to monitor that.

On the injury front, Bowden had interesting news on both Pena and Dukes. "I think Pena's going to be back sooner than we expected, but I think Dukes is going to be longer than we expected," he said. "I think it's very important with Dukes - because it's a Grade 2 hamstring - I think it's very important that we get that to be 100 percent before he comes back to this club. We're going to go overboard on this hamstring."

Other stuff: Johnny Estrada 1 for 3 and caught seven innings in a minor league game in Viera today, and he should be back "very soon." Maybe even before Jesus Flores gets his first at-bat.

Digest all that.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 2, 2008; 6:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals lineup vs. Phillies
Next: 3-0? Why not a major shake-up?

Comments

Interesting to say the least. I hope they bring Lannan up, I want him to get a shot.

I like the idea of moving Lopez. He would probably provide more offense than W. Harris.

Posted by: Zak | April 2, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow... you shouldn't travel across the continent when you have a cold... even after a good night's sleep last night, between the cold and the medication, I just read the current post three times, and each time, I swear I read that Felipe Lopez might play left field.

I probably shouldn't be driving a car, either.

Posted by: Wigi | April 2, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll be happy with FLop when he decides that his attitude isnt impressing anyone, and when he can finally hit the ball.

Thats when I will deem it ok to mention FLop in the same breath as Soriano.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | April 2, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Lopez to LF sounds cool, but the Lannan thing interests me the most. Whenever Bowden says "You never know what could happen" something happens.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | April 2, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | April 2, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

No news Cordero?

Posted by: Ben | April 2, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Natsinthevalley, I think the connection was the idea of going from infielder to outfielder.

---

Thats when I will deem it ok to mention FLop in the same breath as Soriano.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 2, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I still don't get the "we only needed 4 pitchers". What is the difference now?I always thought Lannan should come North.

I thought you had info on Codero?

Posted by: larry white | April 2, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

CIL
They're not going anywhere on the big-league level this season by their own design????

Don't tell Acta that!

The building of a championship team is a marathon not a SPRINT. They are building faster and stronger than any reasonable person has any right to expect.

I'm getting real F3333 tired of your negativity.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Did Soriano put some wicked voodoo on LF when he left?

I don't like the idea of Lopez in LF except that it's prefaced with WMP being back sooner than they feared. For a game or two? No problem, for a week or two? No thanks.

And BTW, did J-Max sleep with Kasten's daughter or something? He is getting no love from on high these days (maybe it was his performance in AZI fall ball, not a daliance with Ms. Kasten....)

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

"Is Lannan part of The Plan, or not? If he is part of The Plan, then the Nats can't handle him like a yo-yo. Doing that hinders his long-term development. They need to decide what *is* best for his lomg-term development and stick with it. They're not going anywhere on the big-league level this season by their own design, so injuries at the big league level should not dictate the advancement of prospects who are pieces of The Plan.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | April 2, 2008 06:42 PM "

Actually, Coverage, I think this is precisely what has everybody so intrigued. I can't imagine that Redding, Bergmann (sorry, Jason, I still love you), Chico, Hill, or Perez will bring in much in terms of trade. I think - gulp - Shawn Hill might get Pattersoned. The best case scenario, I think, would be if Hill goes on the DL.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 2, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Wigi, you're hilarious.

This IS a lot to think about. So Saturday is Chico's night to pitch and they're going to make a decision after that? Ouch.

You think it's some kind of splashy trade or it's just Chico being sent down to perfect his delivery?

I can't help but think this has something to do with Cordero. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but is he really hurt? No DL, no specifics on the injury. All he said was the cortizone shot "feels weird." It all just seems too mysterious.

Felipe in left sure threw me for a loop.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Who posted that? Quite frankly, I don't think it's productive for you to say what you are "tired" of, and I really don't care. I will, however, respond to the substance of your email.

I'm not negative at all. I am all for The Plan. And I agree 100% that building a championship team is a marathon. That is in fact exactly my point--for the Nats, the marathon has a finish line that extends well beyond this season, even if things might be moving faster than expected, in your estimation (how many total minor league games have Detwiler, Smoker, McGeary and Zimmermann won anyway?)

So the Nats need to decide: In viewing Lannan as a building block in the marathon of building a championship team, what is best for his development? Is it for him to be in Columbus? Or is it for him to be in DC? Whether other pitchers in DC get injured should have no bearing on that decision. When teams start to change their minds about how a player progresses due to injuries to others, that is when Plans break down.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | April 2, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Exactly how does having our best pitcher on the DL make us a better team?

Actually, I bet if Redding gets off to a decent start, say 2-3 quality starts in a row, you'll see some interest around the league. He throws hard and is only under contract for the year so no one is making a long term financial commitment to him. The question would be hom much talent would JimBow demand for clearing a spot in the rotation for Redding?

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Woops, that should have read "clearing Reddings spot in the rotation for Lannan"

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh right. Forgot to yelp for joy in my post above about Lannan coming up. I LOVE that kid.

As for yo-yo-ing him up and down? That doesn't worry me at all. I think he's at the point where he knows he's got a spot.

His case is just a matter of timing not performance and surely he knows that.

Besides, he's one heckuva composed kid.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Since the Nationals are out on the road right now how about all of you all closet Orioles fans come on up to Oriole Park at Camden Yards and watch Daniel Cabrera throw a no-hitter tonight as Adam Jones and Nick Markakis hit monster homeruns to propel the O's past the Tampa Bay Rays?

Boog's BBQ, some crabcakes, and some delicious hot cocoa will help keep ya warm too.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 2, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

play ball!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Am I an idiot to think that this is the end of Hill? Please help me out guys.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 2, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I think the Plan is to move Cordero to the DL & call up Lannan. JMax doesn't get the call-up yet, 'cause he's a field player. Let Harris, FLop & anybody else suck up AB's in the #8 slot until either WMP is ready, or JimBow engineers a trade.

Posted by: Bob in Manassas | April 2, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

506
I don't think the Lannan move has anything to do with Hill. More likely in my mind is that either they decided that pitching two older pitcher on short rest in cold weather is not such a good idea, or that maybe loyalty is great, but Chico needs a month or so in AAA to perfect his delivery.

Or both

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Cordero supposedly felt ok today and hopes to pitch this weekend according to WaTimes.

Zimm 1 for 8 so far. Panic time. heh.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

No, I wasn't thinking that 506, but now you've got me nervous. GULP is right.

Please, please, please, please, please. Not yet

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or did LoDuca's AB look a lot like Schneider's?

Posted by: Anonymous Schneider Lover | April 2, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut/506: Hill might spend a little while on the DL, but they won't "Patterson" him yet - he's still young. Have faith & GO NATS!

Posted by: Bob in Manassas | April 2, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Atta boy Redding!! Go get 'em Tiger.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm not supposed to feed the trolls, but O-Ex, LOL! What chemicals have your medical team got you on - I want some of that!!

Posted by: Bob in Manassas | April 2, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

So Bowden just said Felipe is in LF tomorrow. Crazy.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

JimBo just announced FLOP is playing LF tomorrow night. On MASN

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | April 2, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Bowden just said the Flop will play LF tomorrow!

Posted by: HALjr | April 2, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh, God...

Posted by: Art Corr...velay | April 2, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

And FLop would be worse than Willie "Mays Hayes" Harris how???

Posted by: Bob in Manassas | April 2, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Did I break the string?
(formerly Bob in Manassas]

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I actually think it's an interesting move.

Wow, TR is looking sharp tonight.

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | April 2, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Ok that commercial with the cardboard cutouts being interviewed is actually funny. Good for MASN.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

506 (BM), I think we're still a little gun shy after Bowden pulled the trigger on Patterson, so I understand your nervousness concerning hill.

Still, I'm approaching the Lannan announcement the same way I'm looking at the Lopez announcement: I'll believe it when I see it.

Sometimes, I think Bowden needs to remind everyone he's around. He doesn't have his Segway up here, so I think he's probably feeling a little invisible these days.

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 2, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I hope you feel better, Wigi.

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 2, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Lannan: I hardly know enough to say what is best for his development, but if they feel he is ready to compete at the major league level, then that is probably best for him.

FLop: why not?

Dukes: The whole "I think it's very important that we get that to be 100 percent before he comes back to this club" is just Jimbo saying, we're going to hide him on the DL until somebody else gets hurt so we have room for WMP or Hill. That also keeps him in Washington where they can keep an eye on him.

Posted by: NavyYard | April 2, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Twinbrook: Which move - FLop for whoever or the original Lannan for Cordero?

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

John: Understood, but I just don't think the team would pull the plug on Hill (& his sinker) at this point.

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Both, actually. It never is a bad idea to have versatility with your regulars. That's probably a big reason why they kept W. Harris because he can play both IF and OF. And I really admire what Lannan has done this spring.

Also, a Chad who is less than 100% is a blown save waiting to happen. Please, guys, don't rush him.

ZIM GOES YARD!!!!

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | April 2, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

"...and Johnson digs out the throw for the out." Whoo-Hoo - And Zimm Goes opposite-field for the lead!!!

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I completely agree, BIM. In fact, I agree with your entire first post.

I was just saying I understand the trepidation.

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 2, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Is Zim 2-9 with both hits as HRs?

BTW, great start for TR, to 1 hit this lineup through 5 innings and retire the last 10 straight. Nice work!

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Bang! Zim! and an HR is in the books!

Posted by: natty bumppo | April 2, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Twinbrook: Agreed on Cordero (although the Chief at anything less than 100% is a blown save in wait, in my mind). Willie 'MH" Harris vs. FLop vs. IL = Get Healthy Soon!

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get this in before new posts went up (actually did some work today *gasp*), so i'll follow this blog's standard and re-post it to the current thread, but I have to chime in with a response to this:

'Oh, and I almost forgot one more thing: "C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!"'

My brother has always tried to get crowds at Nationals home games to chant: "N-A-T-S NATS! NATS! NATS!" but it has never caught on. Why? If there's ever going to be an organic tradition grow around our local teams, this would be a good one. Scream it with me:

N-A-T-S NATS! NATS! NATS!

Posted by: i hate walks | April 2, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Decision time for Acta;
PH for Redding or leave him in for the 7th with Howard due up?

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

John:

Thanks... I am feeling better, thanks... but I am definitely woosy still... Every time I read this posting, I keep reading that Felipe Lopez is playing left field tomorrow... and I must be in some sort of dream state, because in my dream I am watching the Nats on the internet, and Tim Redding is one-hitting the Phils for six innings.

I wonder what's really happening??

Posted by: Wigi | April 2, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

44,986 announced (for 2nd time) against Phillies - Do we have a rivalry in the making?

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

"...just read the current post three times, and each time, I swear I read that Felipe Lopez might play left field."

Wigi, you crack me up :) (get well soon)

Posted by: i hate walks | April 2, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Except, IHBBs, that cheer copies the NY Jets fan cheer (J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!). It's pretty hard not to be derivative of something else at this point in time.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | April 2, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Washington-Philly seems like a natural rivalry. Former vs current capital, close in proximety (but not too close). Already a great football rivalry so why not? We're good enough now to make every game matter...

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

TR to start the 7th, Zim has 2 hits for the year with 8 bases... Someone needs to work on his approach to ABs. :)

Posted by: SF Fan | April 2, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Zimm will not be denied the Gold Glove this year. You can see it already.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Quality start by TR. Does he go in the 8th? go for the shutout?

Posted by: SF Fan | April 2, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

personnel drama

streaks

homers

flashing leather

Man, I'm SO FREAKIN' HAPPY that baseball season is back! SO FREAKIN' HAPPY!

Just had to share. I'll shut up now. :)

Posted by: i hate walks | April 2, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

CIL: I agree with you (for once). The N-A-T-S cheer is a copy, but it's good to see the crowds giving a holla'. Maybe something more unique will evolve later.

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Ughhh... GUZ!! Run out the play!!

Will Manny bench him for that?

Posted by: JennX | April 2, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

ihw: AGREED!

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

In complete agreement...

But, if he benches Guz, then who will play SS with JimBo already saying that Flop will be in LF?

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | April 2, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, I didn't realize that, CIL. Oh well, it is still a good cheer IMO and local folks should know it. At least it isn't copying off of another baseball team. fo-sho.

I'm "watching" the game on the radio so I have this question about the Guzman play:

The radio guys said that Redding nonchalant-ed it and then Guzman nonchalant-ed it ... or was it that Guzman expected Redding to get it in the first place and was taken a little off guard when the ball kept coming toward him?

Posted by: i hate walks | April 2, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Great game Tim... Ayala, that was a well pitched inning, maybe we ought to stick with him in the 9th.

Posted by: Jason | April 2, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

ihw: Guz didn't leg out a grounder, and Ryan Howard ended up bobbling the ball at first. Guz would have been safe if he'd run it out, and later would have been able to score if he'd been on base!

Posted by: JennX | April 2, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

What happened with the 2nd out last inning? I took out the trash and when I came back, gameday said guy grounded to force out at second, Zim to Guzman to Belliard. Huh?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Zim booted the ball but right to Guz who made the play at 2nd.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Lopez in left is an excelent idea. First, developing a super sub switch hitter would be very helpful. Second, it significantly improves Lopez trade value. Third, we don't have a right handed hitting LF on the roster without him.

Lopez has a 40 steal year, a 20 HR year, a .260ish lifetime batting average, and a .320ish lifetime OBP. He had a personal problem last year, and essentilally said he wants to play. The bad attitude thing has been blown WAY out of proportion.

Let's find out if he can be an outfileder while we wait for WMP. Harris is a quality utility player, but he is not a full time starter. His average against LH pitchers is below the Mendoza line.

Posted by: NatBisquit | April 2, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Nats win! Nats win. A different way every day.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Awesome baseball game.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

1-2-3 9th - 1-0 Nationals final WHOO-HOO!!!

Posted by: BIM | April 2, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Nats combine for a shutout. Only scoring comes from Mr. "My name is Bonds, Barry Bonds" Zimmerman...

Or should it be "Shaken, not stirred" Zimmerman?

Posted by: SF Fan | April 2, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

GoNats,
I was just thinking the same thing, it's only 3 games, but 3 different ways to win means this is a dynamic team and that bodes well for the rest of the season.

Still can't wait for WMP back and batting 6th.

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks GoNats for the explanation. Sounds like it will make a good replay.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the Magic # is now 159.

Posted by: SF Fan | April 2, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The franchise does it again. THREE and 0...and on we go. Go Nats...STAY Hot.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 2, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

It's been three games, three different types of wins. Given the Nat's pitching staff, I have read people who have stated an average of 5 runs a game "on average" will be needed to compensate. I am guessing there will be a few stinkers in there (where we give up 10 runs), but a few like tonights game can also compensate for this average.
George Will said that each team will win 60 and lose 60. It is the last 42 that need to be sorted out. If the Nats can get a handful like this from these last 42 and win a few close ones, this could be an interesting season indeed.
As to Zimmerman: the longer ownership waits, the more Zimmerman will cost them. Pay the man, Shirley (as I channel Norman Chad).

Posted by: TimDz | April 2, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

estuartj, I am with you on that. Wily Mo in the six-spot really makes this line up dynamic. He brings a lot of energy and personality too.... I still don't think a whole lot more than .500 in this division will happen but this will be a very fun team to follow and they will definitely be better

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

MVP Tally: 2/3

Nats wins: 3
Games Nats don't win without Zim: 2

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I think this is about a .500 team, but we could do a lot better if the other teams in the division don't match expectations. The pitching (especially bullpens) of our chief rivals are potentially ver suspect and if they falter it could open space for the Nats to seriously over perform expectations.

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused. When I look at the boxscore for the game, I see that Cabrera went just 4 innings and gave up 6 runs and 5 walks (and that his ERA is 13.50). He must not have known the game plan.

---

Posted by: Nats Exec | April 2, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

What a start!!!! Redding (and pen) on fire tonight!!

Posted by: NatCrzy | April 2, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or did LoDuca's AB look a lot like Schneider's?

---

No, it's not just you. After one of Lo Duca's groundouts I said to 1c "Schneider could have done that" (and I'm not ashamed to admit my Schneider love ;)).

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 2, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Wigi - here's hoping that a one-hit, shut-out win at CBP makes you feel a liitle better. I know that it did me. Keep it going Nats!

Posted by: lowcountry | April 2, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah yeah yeah... Schneider is better than LoDuca and we all miss him. Church had a great night in NY tonight too. Yadda yadda. You have to give to get -- and we already wouldn't have won yesterday without him. Schneider will be missed..no doubt but that is how the game goes.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

That should be trademarked immediately!

---

Bang! Zim! and an HR is in the books!

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 2, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

With Jamie Moyer (LHP) on the mound tomorrow afternoon and Lopez already playing left I wonder if we'll see Dmitri Young get his first start.

Also probably going to see Jesus Flores first start unless they are going to activate Estrada tomorrow morning.

Posted by: estuartj | April 2, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Clarification...'Wouldn't have one yesterday without him' referred to Milledge. Although LoDuca did call a good game tonight.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who can't seem to get 1500 AM on my car radio barely anywhere? I have XM but don't want the road broadcast when I am here. Maybe its my car.

Posted by: GoNats | April 2, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I wish they would just put Flores in already. I don't get why he's not a higher priority.

They owe him as much loyalty as they gave Chico, if not more.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Which is the better sound: Slowes' "A curly W is in the Books," or Phillies Phans booing their own team? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 2, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

And I gotta admit, my fandom is seriously rusty after this offseason: It took me TEN MINUTES to remember to turn my car radio dial to 1500 after I started driving! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 2, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I want to reinforce what JennX said about Guzman's failure to hustle and run down to first when Howard bobbled the ball. This is simply unforgivable. It seems to me that years ago, major leaguers always hustled. Now they're paid millions more and they don't. What I can't figure out is, why do the managers put up with it? In the old days, if you didn't hustled, you'd be pulled from the game right away. Why doesn't this happen now? As every Little Leaguer knows, there is no excuse for not hustling!

Posted by: Old Upper Decker | April 2, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Think I'll just stay home and watch Redding, Ayala, and Rauch combine for the one-hitter, thankyouverymuch.

****************************
------------------

----------
Posted by: Nats Exec | April 2, 2008 09:43 PM

Posted by: Dese Nats Exakly | April 2, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

FLop in left field sounds interesting to me. Also sounds like a way to see if he can increase his value in a trade b/c there is no way he plays LF once WMP comes back.

I like the Lannan call up. He earned it with his spring, like all have mentioned.

Redding - very quietly, he's really turned it around since the middle of last year. Great game tonight and he could turn himself into a key member of this rotation. He's only 30, right?

3-0: Dang, that sounds so sweet...

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | April 2, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Guzzie shoulda hustled.

On a happier note, check out this page: :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 2, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

We also got some MLB love. Only the second headline on mlb's home page!

Juan-John, you get your 4th of July P-nats tix yet?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 2, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

We need a left fielder, short-term? Left-handed bat wouldn't hurt, while we're at it. We don't really need the draw at the gate or on TV, apparently, but hey, "there's no such thing as bad publicity." I hear Reggie Jackson's cousin is available: http://tinyurl.com/4t6jk

Posted by: MIB DLs | April 2, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

GoNats, have you tried 107.7 FM? that's 3WT, too, but on the FM dial.

Posted by: 231 | April 2, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Just a reminder...

NY Yankees - 2008 Salary - $195,229,045
Nats - 2008 Salary - $37,347,500

NY Yankees - 2008 Record - 1-1
Nats - 2008 Record - 3-0

Posted by: natsinthevalley | April 2, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

In MY day, we had to run to first base in the snow, uphill. And if we didn't hustle, our manager would shoot us on the spot, fill our wounds with hot molten salt, and display our heads on pikes outside the ballpark. And that was during spring training!
And you try to tell kids that today, they don't believe you.

*************
Posted by: Old Upper Decker | April 2, 2008 10:02 PM

Posted by: MIB stories | April 2, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

IHW, I could never get anyone else to chant "We're from the government, we're here to help!" either.
Go figure.

*********************
'Oh, and I almost forgot one more thing: "C-A-P-S CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!"'
N-A-T-S NATS! NATS! NATS!
Posted by: i hate walks | April 2, 2008 08:33 PM

Posted by: CE | April 2, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

If only we could tar and feather O's Exec. Great win tonight. Tim Redding - wow! What a treat that was to watch.

Posted by: mjwies11, Section 320 | April 2, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

This is from the AP about tonights O's game.

"Aubrey Huff drove in four runs to rally the Baltimore Orioles past the Tampa Bay Rays 9-6 in front of the smallest crowd in Camden Yards history on Wednesday night."

Looks like even "O's Exec" didn't even make it to the game tonight...

Nats = 3-0

Posted by: natsinthevalley | April 2, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Now we know why he has to be down here trolling for dollars.

But what if we could turn him from The Dark Side?

Posted by: MIB MOB | April 2, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

how does a 1-0 game between last years NL champ and the best team record wise in baseball not get a highlight on baseball tonite?

Posted by: love | April 2, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the DP by Zim/Belly/Nick That was both a great stop and a great turn.

Posted by: SF Fan | April 2, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

on cordero:

if he heard a "pop" that isnt a rest for 4 days and resume throwing thing. that happened to me, and after the shot i still couldnt rotate my arm, let alone lift it up higher than my shoulder. as bursitis has multiple different symptoms - and with the lack of information that is coming out - i think was either just a cold tendon snapping around and he will be fine OR it was a cold tendon that snapped entirely.

hopefully its not a tear of the tendon and instead it was just impingement. but, time will tell. if it still hurts over the next few days, thats something serious. either way, if there is inflammation he will not be able to resume activities without re-injuring the injury (pardon the redundancy) as the shoulder often times is self exacerbating.

i think a dl stint is coming.

btw: awesome game and win tonight.

Posted by: theraph | April 2, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"This is simply unforgivable. It seems to me that years ago, major leaguers always hustled. Now they're paid millions more and they don't."

In the old days major leaguers used to be hopped up on amphetamines or drunk out of their minds or both. Not saying that Guzzie shouldn't hustle, I'm just saying...

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 2, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I realized after the fact that I should have qualified my criticism of the Guz somewhat. I mean, heck-- he did have two hits tonight. I'll take it!

Posted by: JennX | April 2, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

love, i just saw 3 highlights on sportscenter. the DP, zim's play off of the ball that bounced off of redding, and zim's HR.

Posted by: 231 | April 2, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: love | April 2, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

We are headed over to St. Louis this weekend to see the Nats (my wife and kids could not make the trip back to DC for the home opener). Any idea how I can find out which hotel the team stays at in a given city. We thought it would be nice to stay where the team was staying.

Posted by: Nats Fan in KC | April 2, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

"mvp of the season so far"

...

um...

3 games. i love zimmerman, too, but let's not get stupid about it. he's much more of a story to us right now than anyone else. if you really want lots of zimmerman, watch the local news.

while i'd like to see more nats there, pedro's injury affects the full season more than another great game by zimmerman. and NY puts more eyeballs on the tube.

if zimmerman keeps this up, he'll be getting plenty of air time.

Posted by: 231 | April 3, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

thanks for the explanation, guys. I guess I was working on my taxes and got confused as to whom was hustling for what.

yes: always, always hustle towards first base, no matter how obvious it is that you're out.

That's just a given, and I would support Manny benching him for a game (or a start) because of it.

but that adds a whole new wrinkle to the Lopez in LF thing, now doesn't it?

Posted by: i hate walks | April 3, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

"thats great and im all for it. but it just pisses me off to no end that the premiere baseball analysis show on tv ignores the nats every chance they get. 3-0, a 1 hit shutout, and the mvp of the season so far ignored so they could spend another 10 minutes on pedros hammy"

I saw them say how the Tigers don't want Chad anymore because of his shoulder. Doh! Those wascally Nationals, when will they learn?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 3, 2008 7:28 AM | Report abuse

KC, last year's media guide says the Westin St. Louis (don't have this year's yet).

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 3, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

BTW, new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 3, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Natsfan1a... where do you get a copy of the press guide. We are season ticket holders and have never been offered such a thing.

Posted by: Nats Fan in KC | April 3, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

You're welcome, KC. I've always purchased mine at the team store. Don't know whether they might also be available via the team site. BTW, I was assuming that you were referring to the Nats' hotel?

---