Milledge: Late scratch

The original lineup had Lastings Milledge in center field and batting fifth.

The one I posted here, and one that was up in the clubhouse at the end of the batting practice, had Willie Harris in center.

A club spokesman checked with Manny Acta after the clubhouse closed. He said there's no injury, and he has no answer now, but we should ask after the game.

So that's what we'll do. Getting more interesting around here all the time.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 24, 2008; 7:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: King and Bowden on the move
Next: Ladies and gentlemen, Felipe Lopez

Comments

Repost:

Again we hear about getting the relievers into their proper slots. Recall the quote from JBow re: Cordero: "He goes out there and pitches and whether he's been throwing 78-80 or 85-87, he's getting them out."

Don't hold your breath waiting on Cordero to land on the DL. I think they have him closing games ASAP.

If Chico continues to falter expect him to swap roles with O'Connor going to the rotation and Chico in the mop-up/long-man role.

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

No way they pulled off a trade you think?

Hmmm... JMax being recalled to play CF? Milledge to AAA to work on defense?

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Harris against the lefty? Yeah, that's suspicious indeed.

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

No way they would move Milledge, but I can see some discipline issue. Maybe Lasty showed up late, etc.

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Keep an eye on the dugout to see if Milledge is on the bench tonight.

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

My next (and much more likely) thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can see some discipline issue. Maybe Lasty showed up late, etc.

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:13 PM

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Carpy just had Milledge chasing Church's double. :)

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I guess that settles it then... everyone else is just high.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carpy just had Milledge chasing Church's double. :)

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:25 PM

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Church is making the decision to keep Austin Kearns look worse each at-bat.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 24, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

So basically Ray King falls victim to the fact we don't have a starter that can go more than 5 innings.

Posted by: natrat | April 24, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Carpy and MASN don't even try to explain the absence of Milledge.

Carpy even said the "Nats are loading up the lineup with right handed hitters."

Except for the lefthanded CF mysteriously replacing the righthanded CF, you goof ball.

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

There's Milledge on the bench.

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

according to the other paper,Milledge was benched for being late.

Posted by: MrMadison | April 24, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, that was my guess -- unfortunately.

I still think Milledge will be an All-Star one day, but lots of growing pains. Lots. He's 23 going on 13.

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

w. times:

"Milledge arrived in the clubhouse this afternoon right at 4 p.m., which was the listed time for all players to be on the field for pregame stretch. This wasn't the first time Milledge has reported late, or close to late, so this could be a disciplinary thing."

Posted by: swanni | April 24, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, so how long did it take for him to get on the field from the clubhouse? it "could" be a lot of other things too. I prefer to have better reporting than wild speculation.

Posted by: SF Fan | April 24, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

The chances and missed opportunities keep piling up. Perez isn't exactly setting the world on fire yet... well... you know.

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

No excuses here... Zimm has to tie it. Productive out please!

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Kearns just has bad luck...he has two hard hits and nothing to show for it.

3-3 Nats

Posted by: joNAThan | April 24, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey, a RBI for Zim. that, and the double a couple days ago. Is he coming out of the slump?

Posted by: SF Fan | April 24, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Man, see what happens when I'm not connected to the Internet? Good grief.

I'll post later with my impressions of the park, and I'll try to leave out the comments about all the Mets fans in my section.

But I wanted to publicly thank fellow Constituent John R. for hooking me up for Tuesday's game. It was great to meet you, John. Thanks a lot.

Posted by: John (not) in Mpls | April 24, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Bring out the mustard Gramma, it's a GRAND SALAMI!

Posted by: Yum | April 24, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

I told you we should promote and keep FLOP

Posted by: N@sfan | April 24, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

The term "FLop" is hereby banned from Planet NJ (7-3).

Posted by: PTBNL | April 24, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

FELIPE!!!! YES!!!!!!!!

Posted by: NattyDelite! | April 24, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Grand Slam L-O-P-E-Z!!! OK. Hysterically hypocritical but that's my right. I already made my appologies earlier in the week. A 6 RBI night can make fans out of lots of people.

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, why did I decide to go to last night's game and not tonight's? Would you believe I've never seen a grand slam in person?

Atta boy, Felipe.

Now it's time for Mr. Kearns to meet Mr. Mendoza. Honestly, .195?

Posted by: John (not) in Mpls | April 24, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Good lord. How many freaking Mets fans are there tonight?!? All you could hear on the radio was booing after the bottom of the 6th.

Posted by: MKevin | April 24, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

During the 7th inning stretch - a quick thought / topic: with Chico's new high leg kick, can he really pitch out of the bullpen? If he's brought in mid-inning, he goes straight to the stretch. So if he's banished, does he only come in to start innings?

Posted by: PTBNL | April 24, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse