WMP activated; Flores to Columbus

So with Wily Mo Pena activated before today's game, the Nationals optioned catcher Jesus Flores to Class AAA Columbus.

The plan all along was to have Flores catch every day at Class AA Harrisburg. In the last week, that changed. Here's GM Jim Bowden on why:

"We thought it was important as far advanced as Jesus has come, No. 1 that he should face the best possible competition and breaking ball pitchers," Bowden said. "No. 2, we wanted him to handle the starting pitchers that we have at Triple A because they're close to the big leagues, people like Collin Balester. He might as well be getting used to them right now, because his time to the big leagues will be as quick as theirs is. So we thought it would just be better both offensively and defensively to put him there."

Flores was asked if he thought he needed to go down to the minors to learn more. "For me, personally, I don't think so," he said. But he also understands the move.

Pena is in the lineup today, said he feels great, is happy to be back, and will hit fifth. Manny Acta said he will normally hit sixth -- when Nick Johnson plays -- but could move up if he hits well.

Also: Chad Cordero active for today's game. Might not close, but Acta said he would get in at some point -- no matter the score.

Lineups:

Pena -- 7
Lo Duca -- 2
Belliard -- 4
Boone -- 3
Redding -- 1

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 13, 2008; 1:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cordero reinstated, Bergmann sent down, WMP back tomorrow
Next: Glavine: Strained right hamstring; Nats: Missed opportunities

Comments

What happened do Johnson?

Posted by: Rich | April 13, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

So FRob managed 1900 or so games. His teams won divisions actually zero times. Yet here, you'd think he was Connie Mack.

That argument about forgetting more about baseball than most have known is just so lame, try to come up with something better than that. And, again, if he was so great, why hasn't someone else hired him and why did he have that long non-managerial stretch until Bud signed him?

I'm going out for a while, so try to come up with some funny defenses.

Posted by: mike8 | April 13, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

According to gameday, glavine's throwing nothing but changeups. Can't see the video, but gameday looks like the boys are sharp today.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh. Injury delay? What happened?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Great, Glavine hurt his foot on the new mound at Nationals Park...and you thought mound issues were a thing of the (RFK) past...:-p

Posted by: natswriter | April 13, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

It was his foot? I didn't catch that on the radio.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 13, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

They're saying a calf maybe, but they did mention on the gameday audio feed that it may have come from catching a spike on the mound.

Posted by: natswriter | April 13, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Ok. Whew. I was worried about WMP swinging too hard, too soon.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. That would be a worry. I hear the President was looking for WMP all night during the opener. Didn't find him though. :-)

---

Ok. Whew. I was worried about WMP swinging too hard, too soon.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 1:54 PM

Posted by: natswriter | April 13, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

another bases loaded bust

Posted by: sigh | April 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Yep...and just in time for the Caps playoff game to come on...decisions decisions for many watching, I would think...

---
another bases loaded bust

Posted by: sigh | April 13, 2008 2:00 PM

Posted by: natswriter | April 13, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

While the DP was far from the ideal result, getting an RBI was hardly a bust.

Time to switch over to the Caps and hope the Nats can hold on.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 13, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

GHF: We didn't strand *every* runner. 2-0 Nats!

(GHE: Lo Duca flied out to end the inning. Did I mention how shocked I am?)

Posted by: JennX | April 13, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay maybe not a total bust, but when there are bases loaded and no outs, I kind of got my hopes up for at least a couple runs.

Sure is nice to have an early lead though :)

Posted by: sigh | April 13, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

sigh: You got your couple of runs though, right?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 13, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Well, technically the bases loaded situation only drew in 1 run (thanks for the other Zimmy!). But I can't back down on my grumpiness with this name.

Posted by: sigh | April 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

okay, I can't be negative with a 4-0 lead and someone else's pitching imploding.

Posted by: sigh no more | April 13, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least people won't be flipping back over the Caps game now...

Posted by: natswriter | April 13, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Caps down 2 after one. We were right about Flores. And by "we," I mean someone other than me, but whose idea I probably misappropriated and repeated a few times without giving credit.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 13, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Not sure where I fit on the empty-full spectrum, but I HATE when they give away outs on the bases. Like on line drives. And Frank wouldn't have helped that.

Posted by: MIB | April 13, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

And I like Charlie and Dave. And "Hail To The Chief" on the radio.

Posted by: MIB | April 13, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't listening, but if someone hit into a DP and a run scored, there's no RBI, by rule.

************
While the DP was far from the ideal result, getting an RBI was hardly a bust.

Time to switch over to the Caps and hope the Nats can hold on.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 13, 2008 2:03 PM

Posted by: MIB scoring at home | April 13, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

New post with Glavine injury report.

Posted by: HALjr | April 13, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected. No RBI for WMP. At least the run still counts.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 13, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse