Young en route to DC

Dmitri Young is traveling from St. Louis to Washington to have his back checked out. Not good. Manny Acta said he would almost certainly not return to St. Louis this weekend, so the manager -- at least tonight -- will have only 23 players to work with, what with Chad Cordero out as well. (Cordero played catch today again, and he'll have a bullpen session tomorrow.)

Here are your lineups:

Washington:
Guzman -- 6
Milledge -- 8
Zimmerman -- 5
Johnson -- 3
Kearns -- 9
Lo Duca -- 2
Belliard -- 4
Lopez -- 7
Perez -- 1

Cardinals (and yes, that's the pitcher hitting eighth):
Barton -- 7
Ankiel -- 8
Pujols -- 3 (13 for 20 with five homers against Perez)
Glaus -- 5
Ludwick -- 9
Molina -- 2
Izturis -- 6
Looper -- 1
Miles -- 4

Enjoy the ballgame.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 4, 2008; 7:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Single-game parking now available
Next: Cordero to DL; Dukes will return to court

Comments

LINEUPS!!! BIM- how far does 107.7 reach? I rarely can hear it in Frederick and I have no prayer in hearing it anywhere near where I work in Carroll County, MD

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Nats on DC20, not MASN.

Posted by: #1 Lurker | April 4, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

OMG I'm so excited. I'm watching Nats on a huge screen TV in an actual living room!!!

I don't have a TV and my friend let me watch while he's out of town. Watching pre-game stuff. This is going to be SO awesome.

Priority-wise getting a TV falls just below an 8ft statue of Papa Smurf in my living room, but seeing the Nats this close bumps it up a couple notches, for sure.

Why didn't anyone TELL me??

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't anyone TELL me??

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

OMG. Wait. What just happened? What's the business about WDCA MY 20???

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"Nats on DC20, not MASN."

Then why am I seeing Don Sutton and Bob Carpenter on MASN right now? (Cox Cable in Fairfax. I'm sure it's on 20 here too.)

And before the game starts, one last hint to my "secret identity" for anyone who cares. On Wednesday nights and Sundays, I'm often forced to watch Orioles games because that's what the pub puts up on the TV behind where I'm sitting playing tunes.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | April 4, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Whew. Got it. Okay. Giddy again.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I have to say my big interest for tonight's game is to see another night from Perez and if Lopez can hit.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

svx: Sorry, I don't have any coverage data for the station (former WaPo radio). Bonus though, tonights' game is apparently on "local" tv, (DC20). Good luck.

Posted by: BIM | April 4, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut: An 8-ft papa Smurf? That's kinda twisted, but whatever floats yer boat. LOL!

Posted by: BIM | April 4, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Perez in mid season form

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

ha ha. Tells you how low a priority a TV is, though.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Was looking for the Nats game and found the Orioles game...Are they celebrating Saint Patricks Day OPACY today? Nearly the entire park is in green...oh, wait...those are empty seats. damn...

Posted by: TimDz | April 4, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Not necessarly in mid-season form, but getting predictably "clubbed" by a team who has owned him historically. It's the breaks of the rotation, sometimes.

Posted by: BIM | April 4, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

You're right BIM, I just don't like how "mouthy" he has been all spring, when really he is an average guy at best

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

When Hill gets healthy, send this bum Perez to the minors.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

BIM, I have a TV...got to watch the bad 1st inning but just curious for driving sake for the afternoon games. Anyone else know the coverage for radio?

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

What's the score of the Nats/Cards game?

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut: Wha? TV is a low priority, but you worship at the shrine of Smurf? I'm confused (but that tends to happen).

Posted by: BIM | April 4, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

svx - try 820 AM. Comes in clear in my corner of Frederick Co.

Posted by: HALjr | April 4, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. I'll try it next time at work. Hopefully Perez can give us a better inning now....please.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

When Hill gets healthy, I'll be ready for Social Security...

-------------------------------------------

When Hill gets healthy, send this bum Perez to the minors.

Posted by: TimDz | April 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

HALjr: Thanks for the assist on the play.

Posted by: BIM | April 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

When Hill gets healthy, I'll be ready for Social Security...

So True, if Social Security even exists then

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Perez just has to hold on for 5...he's looking bad. A first pitch strike would help.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I never said Perez was a bum, he just talks like he's an all-star

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Can't the Third-Base coach give Guzzy the "don't swing at anything" sign on the 1st pitch?

Posted by: BIM | April 4, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else have an annoying white line at the top of their TV?? I am watching on DirecTV

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Perez is all over the place, the guys in the field are falling asleep

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I honestly don't understand how this guy made the team, let alone was the opening day starter... Lannan should have had this spot.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Hooray, Kearnsy!! Atta Boy!!

Perez is all over the place and if I got it right, his pitch count is high. But he IS holding 'em.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

BIM, what's your deal? You've been posting on this blog for what, like 2 days now? Well, as many of those who have been posting here a bit longer can tell you, I really don't have a problem with someone disagreeing with me. And one of the nice things about this blog is that we tend to disagree amicably. You'll also find posters on this blog disagree with each other strongly on one topic, and then agree with each other on another topic.

What I do have a problem with is people taking personal shots at posters, myself included. For some reason, you've now taken multiple personal shots at me. Is that really the way that you want to play? I hope not...

* * * * *

? 231 = CiL ?? Not that I have any overbearing evidence, but both authors seem to have the same single-minded belabouring of a point.

Posted by: BIM | April 4, 2008 07:33 PM

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | April 4, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice work Kearns... one-run ball game, I still don't feel good with Perez out there, hopefully he can just go 5 full with no further damage.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

no white line for me swift but i have comcast. I think Perez is around 70 pitches...need some quick innings.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Maybe F.Lopez can pitch too, he certainly is hitting like a pitcher

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

When is the hook Manny??

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

My first time listening to Sutton and Carpenter. I think I like Charlie and Dave a little better.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Problem is the radio broadcast is almost 1 minute behind the TV, too annoying

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Perez is just awful. I know its only his 2nd start and he was decent in the opener, but a quick glance at his ERA last season and you can see he doesn't have big league stuff.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I can live with guys who give up hits and runs, but I hate the guys who go deep in the count to every hitter. Remeber Armas, Jr?? Tough to watch

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

94 pitches in the 4th!!!

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

That was a big strikeout though, the difference between a K and any type of hit there is monumental.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

How many times does he get himself into a 2-1 or 3-1 count! No wonder he walked or screwed up every batter. Thank god that's over...5 more innings of bullpen!

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Aren't you guys kicking yourselves for not going up to OPACY to see the O's play. Right now in the Top of the 8th:

O's - 7
Mariners - 2

Top 5

Cards - 4
Nats - 1

Boy the crabcakes and Boog's BBQ are extra tasty tonight.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

What was Acta thinking starting the 5th with him?!

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Why am I even bothering watching this drivel? Note to self: Any time Perez is on the mound, watch something else.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Now, now, everyone. We must remember what Odalis told us in Spring Training:

"He is better than his stat line."

I think I threw up in my mouth a little...

Posted by: NatsNQ | April 4, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

LoDuca's running stiff.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan is dealing, I love this guy.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

BTW, very sorry to hear about Dmitri. Get it checked out, get it better, and hurry back, Meat.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Alright, lets keep this going here... heart of the order.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Bases jacked, 0 outs, make them pay Kearns. They had us dead in the water, but they gave us life, give this ball a ride!

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

5 metaphors in two sentences. Not bad Jason.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

come on. caught looking?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

THAT'S what I'm talking about, Belly.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Kearns, Lopez gotta come through in those spots...

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris at the plate = pitchers best friend

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 4, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Lopez and Harris need to be shipped out of here. Pronto.

Posted by: NatNQ | April 4, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

no clutch hitting, just like yesterday--kearns has to be swinging at anything close---LOPEZ IS AWFUL! he needs to stay in the dugout---he gets a bloop, broken bat single, when it doesn,t matter; we need a LF who can hit

Posted by: natcrzy | April 4, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

stumbled across the angelO's game on masn. judging by all of the empty seats, nats park isn't the only "green" ballpark in the region.

Posted by: natsscribe | April 4, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I thought for sure Zimmerman had gotten enough of that one, but after watching the replay it was mostly wishful thinking. Alright Kearns, youre going to get a chance to redeem yourself here.

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Felipe!

Posted by: Positively Half St. | April 4, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Well that ump was all over the place but we probably didn't deserve that one.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

atta boy felipe !!! STAY IN THE DUGOUT---should have PH for him

Posted by: natcrzy | April 4, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

And Lopez looks at a called third strike to end the game. Do we need to see anymore?

Posted by: Frustrated | April 4, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

well thats it flop you are dead to me now, swing the froking bat, you are awful, you are done as a national, you should just go home close the garage door and start up whatever car you dont deserve to have. goodnight and goodbye

Posted by: love | April 4, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Bench isn't deep enough, Boone for Lopez wouldn't have been any better. Need to bring someone up or figure out the Dimitri thing.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

sure would have liked to have seen either Mackowiak or Young vs. Izzy instead of FLop even though I think he got hosed on that call.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 4, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking how much I hated umpire Wolf's low strike zone, at least until Lo Duca didn't get punched out a few batters ago.

Lopez, however, gakked that one up, watching a pitch that looked like a strike even without that idiot umpire who doesn't know the strike zone.

I have to admit, though, that I was sure they were going to lose from the first inning. I had to go for an errand when it was 5-1, and came back to see it 5-4, and the team in the game up to the last pitch. I can live with games like this more than games in which the Nats fail to put up any offense whatsoever.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | April 4, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

We screwed the bases loaded thing but don't get discouraged guys...bullpen looked good and we made a run for it...goal is to win the series...two more left.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

What a disaster

Posted by: Jason | April 4, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I know TV angles aren't perfect, but my goodness...the strike zone seemed all over the place tonight...didn't it?

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

as scarlett o'hara said "tomorrow is another day."

Posted by: natsscribe | April 4, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

this game was nats for the taking --- one clutch hit, with bases loaded and we win--- do we have anyone else, besides FLOP man who can play LF tomorrow???

Posted by: natcrzy | April 4, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

svxcountry-

That's the spirit. Each loss stings, but we will all be puffed up at the end of the season if the team finishes above .500.

We will lose a lot like this one.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | April 4, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Whoops for the repost.

Yes, I definitely didn't figure it out. I thought identical back to back pitches were called different things all night. I clearly thought the last one was a ball and you could see Lopez thinking the same even though it was probably close enough to fight off at least.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

JimBow was bragging during spring training about how the team's depth has improved. Sure looked like last year's bench to me tonight.

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 4, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Alright guys, cheer 'em on tomorrow, I gotta take a day off...my wife puts up with me during football season but she can't take it for 162 games so I'll take my day off.

Be excited to see some good pitching lines though tomorrow.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree, he should have known how inconsistent blue was tonight and been swinging at anything close.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Love the fact that this team can fight back the way they did tonight even if it didn't end in a W. We really have a team to be proud of!

Posted by: ExtremeNats.com | April 4, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Of course, if Flop had swung and missed, we'd all have been swearing how he swung at ball 4. It's a tough position to be in.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

lopez stinks--- he stunk last year and this year he whines about not being a starter--- he K's in 8th and 9th with game on the line-- boone would have been better; anyone would have been better

Posted by: natcrzy | April 4, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

its tough but its called being a major leaguer, there is no excuse, you foul it off with 2 strikes and the game on the line, anything but watching strike three, it was close enough to swing. yes if he had swung and missed, i would have been mad, but at least he would have tried. that at bat perfectly explains flop, he has the skills to get to 3 and 2, but not the fire to deliver when it matters. cut him loose, preferably today

Posted by: love | April 4, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

oops; he K'd in 7th and 9th......

Posted by: natcrzy | April 4, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Can't win em all. They'll not release Flop, you can be sure of that. I think JimBow is trying to trade him for some new segways for the coaching staff.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 5, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, boy those crabcakes and Boog's BBQ were especially delicious tonight eh?

Orioles - 7
Mariners - 4

Cardinals - 5
Nationals - 4

Posted by: O's Exec | April 5, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 5, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 5, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Sorry guys about all the crabcake stuff, just having fun.
And O, I am not really an 'Exec'; I am not even a front office guy; I like it in the rear! (Any takers?)

Posted by: O's Exec | April 5, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

i know they can't release him; i just wouldn't play him....

Posted by: natcrzy | April 5, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

the last strike to Lopez looked low, but the one to Kearns with the bases loaded, everyone in the park, on MASN, and watching on MLB TV from Japan, knew was right down the pike.

Maybe it's time to bring out the Jacques Plante again...

Posted by: MIB | April 5, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and the bench thing -- they could have used a 24th and 25th body there, tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I missed the game but I gather from the posts that Jason is not a fan of Perez and natcrzy isn't a fan of Lopez.

I'm not sure what either of you expected.

Perez was signed to a minor league deal towards the end of the offseason. There was a reason for that. It was a smart signing, especially for the money. But to expect consistency similar to opening day is unrealistic.

Lopez isn't starting at SS or 2B. There is a reason for that. Using Lopez as a LF has its advantages if he proves his defensive worth. The #1 & #2 options for LF are on the DL, plus the Nats are playing with 23 guys. Were there issues with his plate appearances? Sure, I won't rationalize looking at a called strike 3.

This is, however, the best team the Nats can put on the field.

I'm pretty excited to see the Nats put up big innings offensively this year. The comeback tonight also seems positive.

The Nats are 2-2 in one run games, which should hopefully work out the Nats way based on their bullpen.

Even though its two losses in a row, I can still see (or rationalize with my Nats tinted glasses) many, many positives. The big innings are new. The same "we are not out of it" attitude is still there.

The Nats are going to surpise the NL this year.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | April 5, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

leetee1955-

Our added bench depth is on the DL right now, but I seriously wish that we had a better LF too. I would like to see JMax brought up for a little while so that we didn't have to suffer through FLop. But if he hit, it would at least mean he could be tradable. Maybe its decisions like this that are why I'm not actually a GM.

Posted by: Nats444 | April 5, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

The same bullpen I was trash-talking yesterday looked awesome tonight. Very, very impressive guys. Now if we can get get STARTING pitching to look half as good (cough..Perez..cough) we'll be sitting pretty.

Ya'll see the last minute announcement said Chief is definitely on the DL.

Finally, Barry's gamer doesn't look like Barry's writing at all. I guess he was rushed for the deadline. Not complaining, just an observation. It's probably been a heckuva long day for him.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 5, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

im gonna say this once and only once: GET RID OF AUSTIN KEARNS!!
twice up with sacks loaded this season, 1 inning ending dp, 1 k. also get rid of harris and lopez. bring up dmax now.
u see it now. why wait. stop carrying dead weight. bring in players who can get it done.

Posted by: dk | April 5, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

It's only a few games into the season and already we're throwing players under the bus? Not me. I believe.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 5, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

L. D. O.. -- I just expect lopez, anyone of them to go up there aggressively and make contact--- lopez k'd twice (7th and 9th) with game on the line -- i just don't think he can hit, period. As far as a close call on called strike in 9th, it was too close to TAKE.... he got ahead 3- 0 and it looked like he was looking for a walk (too passive); got to go up there thinking HIT!

Posted by: natcrzy | April 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Windge about Perez if you like, but in fact he left them in a winnable game (with a lot of help from Rivera). One crummy hit out of what, six bases-loaded ABs? and they do win that game.

Posted by: CE | April 5, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, if only I could believe that!

***************************
im gonna say this once and only once: GET RID OF AUSTIN KEARNS!!
Posted by: dk | April 5, 2008 01:37 AM