Aces

The Nats get another start today from Jason Bergmann, who's still unscored upon in his 19-2/3 innings since the May 14 recall. In those three starts, he's got only one win to show for it. Part of that is traceable to the opposing pitchers he's been matched up against. This is the third day in a row he's up against the other team's ace.

(And the one time he wasn't, against Mike Pelfrey, the Nats were almost no-hit.)

Since then. (with current stats in parentheses)

May 20:
Cole Hamels (5-3, 3.18; .214 OBA)

May 26:
Ben Sheets (5-1, 2.93; .233 OBA)

Today:
Brandon Webb (9-2, 3.01; .221 OBA)

I'll get you the lineups once we have 'em.

In the meantime, you can rehash yesterday's glories.

By Chico Harlan  |  May 31, 2008; 5:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lowcountry wants good news; I humbly supply it
Next: Lineups

Comments

Chico or Jon D. or somebody:
Have you seen the timestamp problem yet? It's 4:55 and your timestamp is 5:28. It's happened before. Not complaining because it can be fun, but you guys should know.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 31, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut, could that be because it was 5:28 in whatever time zone Chico's in when he posted?

Not sure that's it; it's just my guess. Arizona is... two? hours behind DC.

Posted by: s | May 31, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

BIM, I saw it. I know it has pitcher's park dimensions, flynnie was asking about Petco as compared to Nats Park and I was explaining that in addition to the dimensions, Petco just has the feel of a big park.

As to the Park otherwise, to each his own I suppose, I just think it's great. I didn't suggest that you could see the harbor from the seats--but you do get a great view from the platforms on the back side of the upper deck. They couldn't have oriented the Park with a view of the harbor from the seats. And I like the view you have behind the outfield wall of downtown, including the occasional airplane flying between the buildings.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | May 31, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Not a time zone thing because if you look at his timestamp it says ET. Plus, natsfan1a's says 6:54 when it was probably a 5:54 post.

Like I said, not complaining, we had fun with it last time this happened, just thought I'd bring it to someone's attention.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 31, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Last time this happened though, it was related to the switch to daylight savings time. It's also weird that some people's post times show up as correct, others an hour ahead. I'm posting at 6:30.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | May 31, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

@s: I think you are right - AZ is 2 hrs, rather than 3 hours behind us (the State Legislature didn't buy into Mountain Standard Time).

Posted by: BIM | May 31, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

@CiL- Had a couple of notes regarding PetCo Park that I wanted to cover, but got backposted. Check in & come back.

Posted by: BIM | May 31, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Bergmann drawing the "Ace" of the opposing staff is nothing more than numbers - It's the way things work, don't try to make a blog-post (or column) out of it.

Posted by: BIM | May 31, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Methinks it may be a blog software glitch. It's happened before, and I don't recall that Barry was in a different time zone then (insert temporal joke of choice here).

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 31, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so now we're complaining because he's putting up too many blog posts? Just saying...

Posted by: Chico's mom | May 31, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the baseball universe is presently in time warp conditions, as there are significant audio/video sync issues w/ MASN's O's broadcast.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 31, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Chico (WP,not WN): Do your homework, you Slacker! he wasn't beaten by either of these pitchers!! (5/20 vs. Hamels, PHI; 7.0 IP, 5H/2W/11K, no decision); (5/26 vs. Sheets, 6.0IP, 7H/0W/6K, no decision). "Either light(en) up or leave me alone".

Posted by: BIM | May 31, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Ummm ... he didn't say they beat him. But thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Vinnie Boombatz | May 31, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@Chico Harlan: Just a personal opinion - As i see it, your current assignment is to report on the Washington Nationals. OK, fine & good; As an objective reporter, your "gamers" to-date should be (and have been) solid and balanced, both pro & con. The blog, however, has recently reached to the inflammatory. Pointing out the short-term failings of individual players is not necessarily part of your job. If it looks like a trend, then OK, fire away. I'm not looking for a "homer" in this slot, I'd just like to see some reporting that has a better balance to it (snark is still acceptable).

Posted by: BIM | May 31, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Come over and see me sometimes.

Posted by: new post | May 31, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

@BIM-- Are you referring to the one Manning-related post, two days and six posts ago? That one was a little insensitive, I thought, given that the guy is a career minor leaguer who wound up spilling his one cup of coffee all over his shirt. I'm not much of a snark fan, personally, but I appreciate Harlan not tiptoeing around the facts, and don't mind if it takes him a bit to figure out where the boundaries are.

Posted by: CE | May 31, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse