Lineups, sans Zimmerman

We'll get to the lineups in a moment, but first, a Ryan Zimmerman update.

He'll sit out again tonight. His shoulder feels much better today than it did yesterday, and so far, he's still answering "No" to the big red flag questions: No imminent MRI tests, no cortisone, no DL trip likely. Zimmerman said he'll probably rest another day or two, then be ready. Manny Acta, though, stressed that Zimmerman is available for tonight's game. Maybe he thinks Bud Black will be reading the NJ some time in the 1-1/2 hours before first pitch.

Had this been a September game in the middle of a pennant chase, your Wash Nats lineup would have Zimmerman batting third and playing third. But it's May, and it's not a pennant chase, and so Ryan Zimmerman is a spectator.

Zimmerman's take on the left shoulder: "It's just soreness. It's been checked out, and they said there's nothing structurally wrong with it. Basically just wait for [the soreness] to go away. I mean if I had to play today I probably could, but we've got the hottest guy playing. (A reference to Aaron Boone.) But no, it's good. I think it just makes sense. There's no reason to rush it. If it was August or September and we had made a move and were competing for something, there's no doubt I would have played. But it's kind of a risk-reward kind of thing. Do I really want to play now and risk hurting it more, or take two or three days and get it better and then have four months to play? So it just makes sense."

The lineups.

Kouzmanoff - 5
Greene - 6
Barrett - 2
McAnulty - 7
Wolf - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  May 27, 2008; 8:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 10-second scouting reports
Next: 82 pitches (and 44 balls) through three innings

Comments

Probably a smart call to sit RZ. No sense risking further damage now. They don't need him to light Randy Wolf up.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 27, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Kid has his head screwed on straight.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 27, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I love Zim. He's also been heating up recently. Can't wait until this is playoff team and he's leading the way.

Posted by: Section 111 (Formerly 223 @ RFK) | May 27, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Every team has injuries to be sure - but this club has been snake-bitten. It would be interesting to be able to field the same team two weeks in a row.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 27, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

No sense in rushing Zimmerman back too soon. he has too much value, both longterm and shortterm to the Natts. I didn't know that Jody Gerut was back in the majors. He kind of fell off the planet after having a dfecent rookie year and an injury-racked sophomore senior with the Indians in the early 00s.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Apologize, computer issues. Gerut had an injury-racked sophomore season...

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

fams of wmp and dukes dhould see their guys start all three vs. padres, who are scheduled to tstart all lefties. game is too late for me to watch. hopefully mr. angelos's sports network will replay it tomorrow morning sted of yanks-angelO's.

Posted by: natsscribe | May 27, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I love the 10:15 starts. It's like the night owl version of the businessman's special.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 27, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhh baby.

Mr. Wolf, as DJ says, "isn't fooling anybody".

2 runs already.

I love me some nats.

Posted by: nattaboy | May 27, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Right there with ya SoCH...

I generally work late (due to being allergic to mornings), so it's always a blast to work a little later, and still get home to catch a full game.

Cheers, and happy baseball

Posted by: nats del negro | May 27, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Right on, Effin' Boone!!!!

Posted by: nats del negro | May 27, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

as a college student i am up late every night anyway. and as much as i want to watch the nats play the pads tonight, i cant, thanks to angelos. i dont get masn here in the valley. xm and gameday will have to do.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 27, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Good call on the hot Aaron Boone, Zim.

Posted by: NatSafeForWork | May 27, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

One of the great things about being an XM subscriber is that most nights I can drift off to sleep listening to either Vin Scully call the first three innings of Dodger home games or Jon Miller and Dave Fleming doing Giants home games. I haven't developed an affinity for Ted Leitner, who does the Padres games.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Jody Gerut actually won one of the ROY awards in 2003, I think. Angel Berroa won one, as well, due to people being reluctant to vote for Godzilla. I think perhaps Ichiro won in 2001 and Sasaki in 2002, so people were very hot about Japanese all stars coming over and being eligible for ROY.

Gerut is now the classic replacement player. Anyone could have had him for the major league minimum. I had him in my AL fantasy league that year but foolishly stuck with him the next. I hope he can stick with the Padres, in part because that means they probably aren't very good. Is that enough of a taunt for him to go 4 for 4 with 3 RBIs and a steal?

Posted by: PTBNL | May 27, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Does Shawn Hill look as shaky on TV as he does on Gameday?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 27, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think PLod has gotten nearly enough grief for blowing Manny's cover on the Zimmerman injury. What a DB.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 27, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

SoCH,

Thats because everyone already knows that PLod is a Dbag and a clubhouse cancer. This doesn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 27, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

It actually worked out like a textbook leak. Spill the bad news the day before, let everyone freak out, and then reveal it as far less than everyone thought. Otherwise, you have Zimm sitting for possibly two days in a row and everyone in a much bigger uproar.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 27, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to give JimBo some credit that he did NOT sign Randy Wolf. Hurt/bad. He stinks.

Baseball Reference tells me that he once made an AS game. Can someone explain how that's possible??

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 27, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Not trying to defend Lo Duca, just answer the question why wasn't everyone angrier.

How about the No Hit boys?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 27, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I must be the millionth person to say it, but Khalil Green (sp?) looks like Sean Penn (Spiccone?) in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 27, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Dude. Paul LoDuca IS and douche bag.

Posted by: Jeff Spicoli | May 27, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

SoCH,

Wolf was the lone Phillie named to the 2003 ASG ay US Cellular in Chicago. AL won when Hank Blalock hit pinch HR in ninth off Eric Gagne, then with the Dodgers.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@506--I'm just gonna focus on how you said you weren't defending Loduca. However it plays out, it was just a totally selfish move with zero regard for his team or coach. Given how effective Manny is at keeping injuries quiet, everyone in that clubhouse has to be aware that he cares about it. How anyone (by anyone, I mean Bowden) ever thought this guy would be a leader in the clubhouse is beyond me.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 27, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Consider this about Paul LoDuca, because we have not had the opportunity to give him a chance. All the folks talking about the Mets' woes are saying that the Mets are lacking fire.

That's what LoDuca provided to the Mets.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 27, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

@leetee

Thanks. It had affirmative action all-star written all over it, but I myself couldn't remember.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 27, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

@1/2 street--

There's another point of view, advanced by Harvey Araton of the NYT and others that the whole "the Mets lack fire" thing is based on a racist stereotype about Latino players that goes back to Roberto Clemente, and that actually the Mets' biggest problem in terms of clubhouse chemistry is an ugly racial divide sparked by Wagner and LoDuca getting on Reyes, Delgado, etc. for "lacking fire" and Milledge and Reyes for dancing, show-boating, etc.

I don't know if that's true, but looking at the body language between Milledge and LoDuca it rings true to me.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 27, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie,

Without precisely comparing dimensions, Petco to me just seems a lot bigger than Nats Park. I think that Petco is 401 to somewhere in left-center.

More generally, the two ballparks are similiar, but Petco has a lot of cool things that in my view put it over the top to make it one of the best and that distinguish it from our ballpark. While Nats Park is a good new ballpark, I think it is more generic and less interesting. Some of this is a function of geography that the Nats couldn't do anything about, but it is what it is.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | May 27, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Got to give DMH props for the stop and throw to Hill for third out. Maybe he's playing himself into defensive shape.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if I ever said "know your place" to a black person in ANY context, I would expect to get punched in the nose. And I'd deserve it.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 27, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

PHS (truly dig the moniker btw), not sure if you're the millionth, but yep, the comparison's been made to that of Jeff Spicoli...

We heard that he HATES the comparison, and so of course when the Pads visited RFK, we let him hear it, no question ("Dude, strike? No way! AWESOME!!!")

------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 27, 2008 10:32 PM

Posted by: nats del negro | May 27, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Let's just focus on taunting Jody Gerut.

Posted by: PTBNL | May 27, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to give Bowden credit that he never traded Adrian Gonzalez for Ugueth Urbina or Adam Eaton.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 27, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Let's just focus on taunting Jody Gerut.

Posted by: PTBNL | May 27, 2008 10:50 PM

------------------------------------

Okay, but first I'd have to give a golf clap on that catch...

Posted by: nats del negro | May 27, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Dontrelle Willis was the NL ROY in 2003...Berroa the AL ROY (Gerut made his debut as an Indian)

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | May 27, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

wow. ball 2 to barrett sure looked like a strike right down the heart of the plate... anyone know why it wasnt?

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 27, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

So how close is Hill to being gone?

Posted by: Ed | May 27, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Because Ron Kulpa wouldn't ring Barrett up on a pitch at the knees. Hill is struggling with his command, big time.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else want to predict that Shawn Hill's on the DL by the end of the week?

Posted by: JennX | May 27, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Hill may be on the DL by the end of the inning at his rate.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 27, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Hill has thrown more than 80 pitches through three innings. Don't think he'll be long for the night unless he gets some easier innings.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Okay... a strikeout. I would love to be proven wrong!

Posted by: JennX | May 27, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

80 pitches, 3rd inning, many balls, precious few strikes. Mercifully, a strikeout? How soon before Shawn Hill goes on the DL?

Posted by: pessimist/fatalist/cynic | May 27, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Manny will have Hill come back for the fourth with such a high pitch count and command problems?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 27, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Hill is a headcase. It's not long before Bowden pulls a Bergman on him, if he's lucky, a JP if he's not.

Posted by: Ed | May 27, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Good inning after a shaky start. Let's get some runs.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 27, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Come on over and see me!

Posted by: new post | May 27, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if it's headcase, delicate arm, or actual arm pain. But, he made it through the 4th. Not too sanguine about Colome as possible replacement.

Posted by: p/f/c | May 27, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse