Lineups vs. Marlins

Elijah Dukes in the house. Jesus Flores in the house -- but not in the lineup. He'll play tomorrow and catch Mike O'Connor, who he caught at Class AAA. But this doesn't change the plan to make Flores the everyday guy in Lo Duca's absence.

Chad Cordero is also here. How'd he spend his time away when the team was in Houston (he stayed back and rehabbed his strained lat)? "Watching TV," he said.

"I don't really like it too much," he said. "Being away from teh team is just kind of torture for me. ... I want to get back as soon as I can."

Your lineups:

Milledge -- 8
Kearns -- 9
Pena -- 7
Nieves -- 2
Redding -- 1

By Barry Svrluga  |  May 9, 2008; 6:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro delays over the weekend
Next: Marlins vs. Nationals -- now and in the future

Comments

Barry-

I tried asking you this question on WaPoLive, but they didn't field it.

When do you expect Garret Mock, Collin Balester or a Tyler Clippard to see time with the Nats this season?

Thanks,
DJ

Posted by: DJ | May 9, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I bet Flores has caught Redding before too.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | May 9, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

[RF] Newposted. Thanks for the lineups tho. Feel good tonight, Nats fans.

(who slipped me a Bob carpenter pill?)

Posted by: i hate walks | May 9, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Mackowiak goes yard last night and makes a fantastic game-saving catch and Manny puts the Wily of Meager Production back in the lineup even though a righthander is starting for the Fish? Makes no sense.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Why not Millie Harris ? Harris has the same amount of homers-is a better defensive player, and a much better baserunner. Milledge and LoDuca have been terrible so far.

Posted by: the truth | May 9, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty happy Hanley won't be leading off tonight. It'll let Redding settle in a little before having to face him. I'm not too worried about Ross or Hermida.

Posted by: ronnynat | May 9, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

"Why not...Harris"

I love this place...three days ago the cries to DFA (or outright release) Harris (and Little Mak) were numerous...and now...?
Of course listening to the bits of call in shows from other towns after games before GameDay Audio cuts out shows a similar lack of long view there too.
A week (or two, or even a month) means next to nothing (save late September and October).
Though I won't argue the tinge of apprehension I feel when balls head to left or center right now...
The whipsawing of opinion is fun to watch though.

Posted by: OldGuy | May 9, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

The grounds crew is mashing the curly W in CF right now. Cool to watch, as the article on how they did that was one of my favorite from last year.

Posted by: i hate walks | May 9, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

ihw: why do you put [sic] after World Series?

Posted by: NatsNut | May 9, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut: because north America is not the entire world ...

Posted by: i hate walks | May 9, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Referencing the discussion about Zim's blog and personality, Mackowiak was fabulous on the John Thompson show on TEM today. Funny, honest, refreshing. They might have a podcast on their site if you want to hear it.

Posted by: joNAThan | May 9, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

@OldGuy,

Whatever happened to managers playing guys who are productive even if they aren't considered "starters?" One of the problems with Manny is that he is slow to change the status quo - even if the status quo isn't working. Give Mac and Harris a chance against a righthander to see if they can carry over the sparks they provided last night..

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Ted Lerner doesn't own the Nats - Hanley Ramirez does.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Nieves made an error, so we're off the bandwagon, right?

SOCH for Vice President!

Posted by: natatorium | May 9, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

ack! gave and charlie have chris core in the broadcast booth on radio! makes me yearn or one of those hard-hitting debbi taylor chats on masn.

Posted by: natsscribe | May 9, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

chris core so upset me that i spelled dave's name wrong!

Posted by: natsscribe | May 9, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Could be worse, John Feinstein could be promoting a book about that bum Mike Mussina.

Oh, wait, that's happening.

Posted by: mike8 | May 9, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

chris core on radio! junior flacking a book on my20! whatever happened to paying attention to the GAME, people.

Posted by: natsscribe | May 9, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Come now. Some of us have very fond memories of Mike Mussina. For what the Orioles provided for the first 18 years of my life, I'll never forget. That they've been supplanted by the Nationals doesn't lessen the indelibility of those early years.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

happy medium - turn off the radio and watch my20 with no sound.

Posted by: natsscribe | May 9, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein's theme song - "Oh Lord, It's Hard to Be Humble."

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Right, Mussina was great with the O's. But then he left for the Yankees. So he's dead to me. But I get some joy in the fact that he's been somewhat of a failure.

Posted by: mike8 | May 9, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

@natscribe

That's what I'm doing. Definitely the way to go, although Charlie is a second or 2 ahead of MASN.

However my FAVORITE way to watch BB is to watch on MLB.tv on my computer with the MLB Gameday open as well. I watch MLB medium-sized at the top of the screen with Gameday underneath. Gameday runs usually about 5-7 seconds faster than MLB.tv, so that the pitch FX feature tells me what pitch the pitcher is going to throw (fastball, curve, etc.) before I watch it on the video.

It really helps me as a viewer understand what the pitcher is doing, because otherwise it's often hard for me to identify pitches--sliders look like cutters, changeups look like splitters, etc.

The Nats are usually blacked out so I can't do this with them (someone else can explain why MLB thinks it's in their interest to block me from consuming their product), but I watch lots of other games this way. (Don't ask how many games I watch--it's too many.)

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

natsscribe: Talk about people not paying attention to the game... Check out the people behind home plate in the expensive seats. I see people sitting sideways talking to each other, looking at Blackberrys ... anything but watching the game. So pathetic.

Posted by: Suicide Squeeze | May 9, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm up. Let's go AK.

Posted by: Elwood the Rally Possum | May 9, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW - Why was Feinstein really on my20? Do the Nats have Navy on their schedule?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

did you enjoy your night off yesterday, elwood?

Posted by: natsscribe | May 9, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Alan Greenspan and Andrea Mitchell behind homeplate in the $300 seats.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Feinstein was promoting that new show with Flava Flav.

Posted by: natty-bo | May 9, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Do others on here notice how ridiculously high up they have the camera behind the plate that they use to shoot pretty much all balls in play? It's really noticeable to me after a series on the road in Houston with good camera angles, the Nats Park angles are awful by comparison.

Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 9, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

And Judy Woodruff too, and it looks like she just put on the the very un-Woodruff Nats sweatshirt. Give them credit for being out there in the chill.

Who's the white-haired guy sitting to their left? He's some pundit too.

And is it possible that Katherine Harris is sitting there too? I don't think so, but there's a Harris look-alike back there.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Nice yawn, Greenspan. Gotta be pretty close to the ol' geezer's bedtime, I guess...

Posted by: Can't See the HD | May 9, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Does Carpy even know what the 5 tools are? Ramirez stinks as a fielder.

Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 9, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

isn't it ironic that a carpenter doesn't know tools? come to think of it, neither does jimbow.

Posted by: natsscribe | May 9, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

SoCH the other guy is Al Hunt, he is married to Judy Woodruff. I'm surprised they allow you on Capitol Hill without knowing stuff like that. ;-)

Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 9, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Florida "F'in" Marlins

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Al Hunt, that's who that is.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Just finished Lurkin' with Ladson and he has a story "Marlins earn praise from Acta." See what a competent GM can do with $21 million?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh Carpenter Stinks beat me to it.

BTW, I live on Capitol Hill, I don't work ON Capitol Hill.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice defensive placement there, boys...Austin may as well have been playing center.

Colome, dude...lighting you up like a pinball machine.

Nice hustle by Kearns to get the ball to Zim...just not quite on target. He might have had time to set and throw there instead of throwing off balance...

Posted by: Can't See the HD | May 9, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

oh god, calamity's in. manny must be writing this one off.

Posted by: natsscribe | May 9, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is Andrea Mitchell a pretty nice lookin' broad?

On the other hand, Alan Greenspan and Larry King...separated at birth?

Posted by: Can't See the HD (or well at all?) | May 9, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least Ayala and Rivera will get a day off. Another day goes by and their arms haven't fallen off yet.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I won't elaborate on how I got here but I'm watching from my sesond favorite spot (after gameday with the radio on). Box seats. Some of my earlier enthusiasm is dampened after redbeard walked the pitcher. ...

Posted by: i hate walks | May 9, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

If Manny claims he wants to bring Chico (the pitcher, not the Post scribe) into low-pressure situations as a reliever, doesn't what's going on sure as heck qualify as such a situation?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Greenspan also dated Baba Wawa back in the day. He must be quite a tiger between the sheets.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

@Can't see....

it's just you.

Posted by: natsscribe | May 9, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Is this Pundits Discount Night at the park?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

SoCH, I SO did not need that image in my head...oof, gag reflex activated.

"Is this Pundits Discount Night at the park?"

Thanks for the chuckle, leetee...helped to chase the thought of Al and Babs in the sack from my brain...

AGH...it's back!

Posted by: Can't See the HD | May 9, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Al Greenspan Whowouldyado...

Walters or Mitchell?

Definitely Mitchell, right?

Posted by: Can't See the HD | May 9, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Does this ump really suck as much as Carpy and Curly are saying? It looks pretty bad to me, but I'm just not sure whether to trust 'em or not.

Hope this means they'll be generous with the Nats tomorrow night, since I'll be out in Section 140 waiting for Nick to drop a dinger in my glove.

Posted by: Can't See the HD (or the strike zone) | May 9, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

From alan-greenspan.com:

"Greenspan, who suffers from back pain, is famous for doing a good deal of his most important work in the mornings, while soaking in his bathtub."

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Calling all rally rodents....

Posted by: i hate walks | May 9, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who thinks Nieves is a bad name for a baseball player? Should have been a skiier or something.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, am I the only one bothered by the horrible angle and height of the camera behind the plate, or are you all just too preoccupied by the Nats' poor play to chime in? Here is what SI's Tom Verducci has already said about it:

"5. Nationals home games appear amateurish on TV.
-- The camera behind home plate is much too high. Considering how many more people know the park from television rather than in person, how could Washington not make sure their product is made for TV?"

I suppose there's not much we can expect from an organization that continued to employ Carpenter, but in any case it is really ridiculous that a tv broadcast from a new ballpark could be so hard to watch.

Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 9, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I think I would have rather had Gary Majewski in that situation.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Rats! ...the only rodents I saw in DC tonight.

Posted by: i hate walks | May 9, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Rats! ...the only rodents I saw in DC tonight.

Posted by: i hate walks | May 9, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

That's it? Really? That's all we got tonight?

Posted by: Leaping Crayons | May 10, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

The Red Porch bar ain't a bad place to watch a game from. Just learned that tonight. And yeah, I'm a slow learner. :-)

Description of Friday's no-home-run game in 20 words or less:

OUR hitters hit balls where THEIR outfielders WERE.

THEIR hitters hit balls where OUR outfielders WEREN'T.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 10, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

masn is a peter angelos asset, i wouldnt expect much from them when it comes to nats coverage, its not in their interest. its business...and it sucks a lot. but im not MLB or the FCC or whoever decides such things...im a fan, i'll watch in black and white if thats all there is

Posted by: love | May 10, 2008 3:39 AM | Report abuse

Well, that certainly was a depressing game last night wasn't it. How does a team that finished in last place just a season ago improve so much. Perhaps the Nats should hire the CIA to infiltrate the Marlins organization to get a read on what makes that low budget team so successful with two world series rings in such a short lifespan. I mean, come on, if they can have such success in non baseball town like Miami, what gives? They can't draw flies to games down there, but they sure do fill the W column pretty well. 6 of 7 from the Nats just seems criminal. I've got to take a step back and re-examine what gives here. Perhaps it's in that florida water. They trade two of there most recognizable players in the off season and improve by leaps and bounds. I just don't get it. I guess it isn't rocket science after all. Memo to Jimbow...pay attention to what is happening down there, not necessarily on south beach though.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 10, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

It was discussed at length already, several weeks ago. They could move it, I suppose, but that might take a major rewiring job, and some time. Or maybe that's one of the "it doesn't need to be perfect, it needs to be March 29" compromises they made.

***************
Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 9, 2008 10:05 PM

Posted by: Spartacus | May 10, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I tawt I taw a puddy tat ...

Posted by: Tweety | May 10, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

i suspect the camera angle is something that could be revisited after the season (along with a whole lot of other things).

Posted by: 231 | May 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

List of Priorities of Nats 2009 (response to Boz column the other week)

1. New GM (Must)
1a Clean up Old GM Mess (BP Stars/5 tool dreamers with no baseball instincts - enough already!)
2. Centerfielder with power (yet again)
3. Upgrade coaching staff, (Harris, Tolman out)
4. #1 Starter -Power Pitcher
5. SS/2B Combo-Defense 1st/High OBP 2nd
6. #2 Starter - Innings eater (yet again)

Posted by: JayB | May 10, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Disagree on all counts JayB, because I think that's a model for perpetual mediocrity. For me, priorities look like this:

1. More pitchers in the amateur draft (2008)
2. Trade Redding and Perez for AAA studs in middle infield. Get Balestar, Bergmann, Mock, Clippard, or whoever is ready some major league experience
3. Acquire four or five top outfield prospects over different levels through amateur draft or trades of pitching prospects
4. Look for another catcher to work with Flores (is Nieves that man?)

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 10, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

What an ugly game last night. What a way to break Chico (Harlan) in - how was his first night joining you on the beat, Barry? Redding didn't have his best stuff, but he wasn't awful either. He started to lose it in the 6th, but Colome sure didn't help the cause. Kearns was nowhere near that bases-loaded hit into the right field corner. Colome did not pitch to the way the defense was aligned and that cost him big time. Let's hope for a better game tonight. Good luck, Mike O'Connor.

Has anyone else eaten at the Red Porch? We went in about 7:10 last night (25 minutes before the first pitch) and did not get to our seats until the third inning. The service was very slow, plus they got my order wrong. I got a grilled chicken sandwich with chips for $8 (plus tip). I could've gotten the same sandwich with fries for $7 at the concession stand by my seats with much faster service (and, by the way, the one from the Red Porch was not that great). I was not very impressed, but maybe it'll improve - I do like the concept.

Posted by: BSG | May 10, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Not sure we are so far off really.....we both see a need for middle infield (I think Defense should be the priority) .....we both see a need for outfielders (I think we need CF who is proven with several years of 20 or more HR's, but hey that is just me).....I can agree with pushing the younger pitchers if we get a proven #1 starter, a real star not a maybe......BIG problem with your list is who is the GM. Jimbo has proven he has a fatal flaw in picking talent. Time and Time again he falls in love with players who will never the type of complete players who staff winning teams. Pena, Kearns both have gapping holes in their swings and Pena can not field a position. Milledge has no feel for the game; no arm and what is becoming clear a weak work ethic. LoDuca and Estrata both are catchers who can not throw, what is that about?

Nope, whatever way we go Jimbo must go because he hurts the team more than he helps is.

Posted by: JayB | May 10, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I think I can agree with all of your assessments there, JayB, though I'm more cautious to draw conclusions.

I don't know if Milledge has a weak work ethic or if he's just plain spacey. If he turns into Manny Ramirez, then I can tolerate his spaciness, as long as he moves to left field.

I could go along with your CF with several years or more of 20 home runs as long as he was purchased as 1) the last or close to last piece for a winning team or 2)cheap. Given that number 2 is not happening, unless it's someone with real problems, I think that he's a guy that should wait until 2010, unless we see something amazing this summer.

I feel similarly on a real star, #1 pitcher. On both of these, I don't see the point of doing it until we're ready all around. The ideal situation - for both of us, I think - is that the #1, $$$, pitcher is peaking the kids are growing up, and when he starts declining, one of the kids will be ready to be the new him. I don't know that in 2010, John Lannan or anyone else will be ready to be an Ace, so that's why I say 2009 is too early.

Lo Duca and Estrada are both stop-gaps and I'm fine with the concept. What I'm annoyed by is that they're not stopping-the-gapping, since they're both hurt and forcing Flores to play. Argh. I don't know that we can blame JimBo on that. You get what you pay for, but why pay for more on them when you could pump the money into scouting and draft picks?

So it comes down to the old question of can JimBo pick talent? The wash outs are obvious, but what about the stars? We can't find this out for a few more years, unfortunately. The farm system sure does look good after just one year, though.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 10, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse