Lineups vs. the Pirates

Paul Lo Duca active, but Manny Acta's not going to break up that Wil Nieves-John Lannan chemistry just yet.

Pittsburgh:

Kearns -- 9
Pena -- 7
Nieves -- 2
Lannan -- 1

Enjoy the evening.

By Barry Svrluga  |  May 2, 2008; 6:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Prepare to welcome a new beat writer
Next: Lights out!

Comments

Thursday night during batting practice I could have sworn that Ayala was working on a knuckleball in between shagging fly balls in leftfield. Could you ask whether he was seriously working on a new pitch or was he just fooling around?

Posted by: Section 133 | May 2, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Great to see that Manny's keeping Nieves and Lannan together. I'm stuck at work for a while tonight, but I've got my XM with me, so Charlie and Dave will keep me company. Go John Lannan! Go Nats!

Posted by: BSG | May 2, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I was going tonight, but the wife is feeling poorly. So it looks like Carpy and Sutton for me. :(

Posted by: swanni | May 2, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Question for Barry (and the group) -- Are Kearns and Milledge having personality problems? Watching them in the outfield makes me wonder; Kearns seems a little miffed with Milledge after certain outfield plays.

Posted by: swanni | May 2, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

swanni - I'll go with you! I'm supposed to go to a Confirmation ceremony tonight, but heck, they probably won't even notice I'm not there!

Posted by: N@sfan | May 2, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Swanni - I think someone mentioned that Carpy is off tonight, so you may get Johnny Holliday instead...

Posted by: BSG | May 2, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I started to go by myself -- I actually have three tickets -- one in section 128 for all 81 games and two in the outfield for a 20-game plan so I can go with my wife sometimes. But, you know, if your wife isn't feeling well, you need to show support with your presence.

Posted by: swanni | May 2, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

J. Holliday is no Vin Scully (who still is great, by the way) but he's a giant compared to Carpy.

Carpy tries too hard, as if he's trying to please his bosses or Sutton or someone. But it comes across as hackneyed.

Posted by: swanni | May 2, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

you, sir, are one helluva human being. And I think you probably just won the post of the day!

Posted by: N@sfan | May 2, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why the Nats don't put out the kind of info that Barry does on their web site? They should be putting this stuff out instead of being scooped by the Post. Granted there is spin, but their web site is pure propoganda (sp?).

Posted by: N@sfan | May 2, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Amendment to the last note: I lived in LA for five years and listening to Vin Scully during that time is one of my fondest memories. (After once seeing Jennifer Connolly come out of a sauna in a bathrobe; true, it's part of living LA.) Scully is awesome. His knowledge of the game and his ability to communicate is without equal.

Posted by: swanni | May 2, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Philly listening to Harry Kalas call Phils games in the 70s. All those "Michael Jack Schmidt" homers were great!!

Posted by: N@sfan | May 2, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh come on, you all know that Carpy's "how far is THAT going?" is a better HR call than anything Harry Kalas or Vin Scully ever uttered.

Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 2, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Oye! Someone poke Elwood. Like they're so good at doing, they're making Dumatrait look like Cy Young. Two innings yes but come on.

Posted by: MKevin | May 2, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

ELWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD!!!!!!!

Posted by: natsscribe | May 2, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

ugh

Posted by: BSG | May 2, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Did Stan forget to pay the power bill?

Posted by: BSG | May 2, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

We owed Stan a favor...

Posted by: PEPCO | May 2, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Red loft is still lit. what's the problem???

Posted by: N@sfan | May 2, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse