Lowcountry wants good news; I humbly supply it

Now it's certainly not good news that catcher Jesus Flores -- the one player capable of no wrong these days -- took two balls off the face mask today. And it's not good news that a headache resulted, forcing him from the game in the seventh inning.

But post-game indications on Flores's health are encouraging. He felt fine, he said. Tests indicated no concussion.

After the second foul (hit by Micah Owings), Flores came back to the dugout, had a sip of water and tried to stay in the game. "But I started feeling dizzy," he said. "A little nauseous, and a headache... But I feel much better right now."

By Chico Harlan  |  May 31, 2008; 3:32 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The condition of the shoulder of the face of the franchise
Next: Aces

Comments

Thanks for the update, Chico. Now get some sleep!

Posted by: Hoagie | May 31, 2008 3:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Chico. Now get some sleep!

Posted by: Hoagie | May 31, 2008 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Chico, you are the man (rimshot)

Seriously, thanks for that update. We needed some good news for a change, and I was worried about Flores after I read that blurb in the AP story.

Posted by: LA Nats | May 31, 2008 4:15 AM | Report abuse

There's a nice piece in the New York Times about those boys that will always be a little bit Ours, and the controversy surrounding the Mets' decision to let Ryan Church pinch-hit despite being symptomatic after his concussion. It's nice to see Schneider looking out for him. But then, I get absurdly nostalgic.

Posted by: Atlanta | May 31, 2008 4:51 AM | Report abuse

Any news of progress with Can O' Kearns?

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 31, 2008 6:12 AM | Report abuse

So I wake up, sleepily start going through my morning routine of online Nats news, come upon this gem, and laughed out loud. Great gamer Chico.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 31, 2008 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the good news, Chico.

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 31, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

bob l.,

nats win! still no capital letters?.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 31, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I read the game stories......Hey for a guy who was 24 years old in 1989 that Willie Harris can sure run still........

Posted by: JayB | May 31, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

is this good news or merely the lack of bad news? or are those the same?

do we give the bench guys another start?

can bergie outduel webb tonight?

what is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

Posted by: bob l. head | May 31, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Speaking for myself, I think that it qualifies as good news that Flores does not seem to have a concussion after the two incidents.

As to the last question, check this out:

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 31, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The gamer didn't make my version of the dead trees edition. But where is the pre-game article that should be there in its place? Used to be that when the team went out West and the game ended too late, there would be an article in the paper that was written pre-game. Not any more, I guess. Now I get no Nats coverage in the paper, and an enormous picture of Luke Scott stealing second base. Super.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | May 31, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"[T]he odds forecasted doom. The Diamondbacks had a pitcher who dominated right-handed batters. The Nationals had right-handed batters who chiefly excelled at getting dominated."

Chico, this is some damned fine writing, and sets the stage for the best news of all - Nats 7 - D'backs 4. And Chico nicely sums up what it means:

"Then again, odds and slumps are much alike: full of surprise, defiant against forecast. With an unlikely formula, the Nationals offense -- at least for one night -- shed all of its haplessness, defeating Arizona, 7-4, on the strength of several pleasant novelties, like two-RBI hit, and even a three-run homer."

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

pdated 10:02 a.m. ET
Most Viewed Articles in Sports
1) Celtics Bring It Home

Paul Pierce leads Boston with 27 points and Kevin Garnett chips in 16 as Detroit goes cold from the field in the fourth quarter, giving the Celtics an 89-81 win and a date with the Lakers in the finals.

2) Nationals Overcome the Odds in Phoenix

Willie Harris's three-run homer in the seventh inning puts Washington ahead for good as the Nationals top Arizona, 7-4, on Friday night.

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Emergency catcher I thought was Belliard at one time but now he is on the DL. I think Boone could catch as well.....after that I would guess Willy Harris just because he would be willing to do it.

Posted by: JayB | May 31, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

JayB, maybe you should change to Karnak The Magnificent!

************
Posted by: JayB | May 31, 2008 11:38 AM
----------

But this does bring up a question I've been wondering about: The depth chart lists only 2 catchers. Who IS the emergency catcher if Nieves had gotten hurt, or tossed?
Posted by: CE | May 31, 2008 12:22 PM

Posted by: Sec. 3 | May 31, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

same as a LOOGY
*******************
what is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

Posted by: bob l. head | May 31, 2008 9:36 AM

Posted by: section 3, my couch | May 31, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

bada bing!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 31, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

the time is now 11:15 am

Posted by: but that's not what the post will clock in on | May 31, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

bada boom!

Posted by: (where oh where will this post show up?) | May 31, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CE | May 31, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

From the May 31 Hardball Times:

"DiamondView, for those who don't know, is a sophisticated database that helped the Indians make decisions on player contracts and roster acquisitions, among others. The team valued it so much they copyrighted it."

Neal Huntington: There is no doubt in my mind that DiamondView gives the Indians a significant advantage over a large portion of the industry. It is a significant undertaking to design a program such as DiamondView, but we have begun the process. One of our many goals for this off season was to add a full time programmer to spearhead our Baseball Information Systems and design a comprehensive program to effectively and efficiently store, organize, access and analyze the amount of data utilized within our industry.

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Do the Nats have a similar program and programmer to help nurture talent? It seems to have broken down for Chad Cordero and Shawn Hill.

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The Nats collectively have been up to bat 1863 times so far this year. So we can divide the stats by three to get equivalent ABs for one full time player. That composite player has 621 ABs, a .233 average, 13 HR, 63 RBI, and .666 OPS. So the composite of all the Nats "hitters" so far is like an average utility infielder.

Posted by: EdDC | May 31, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Nobody on the active roster now has ever been in a MLB game behind the plate except Flores and Nieves. I didn't check MiLB (or college or HS) stats, but you're right, I think, JayB, it would come down to the Coalition of the Willing.

---------------------------
JayB, maybe you should change to Karnak The Magnificent!

************
Posted by: JayB | May 31, 2008 11:38 AM
----------

Posted by: CE | May 31, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

or fifth outfielder.
Coincidence? I think not.

*************

Posted by: EdDC | May 31, 2008 1:04 PM

Posted by: CE | May 31, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Runs per game is particularly scary. These guys would have to score a full run per game more *just to catch the 15th-worst NL team* (LAD).

Perhaps, when he said "Pitching, pitching, pitching," Jimbow should have specified which team.

Posted by: CE | May 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sure, THAT one you let through, but the retraction gets refused. Sheesh.

NEVERMIND the runs per game number, I was looking at total bases.

No more stats for me, I'm cut off.

Posted by: CE | May 31, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

OK, one last stat: the Dbacks lead the NL in fewest walks allowed, but also in MOST HBP.
Good control, AND pitching inside.

Posted by: ce | May 31, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm flattered! And very pleased for Flores. Not to diminsh your efforts Chico (the writer, not the pitcher) but I was pleased with the good news provided by Willie Harris and crew last night as well.

Let's go Nats. If we got nine hits off of Micah Owings last night - I think a fifteen hit, ten run performance against Webb should reasonably be expected. It's not like he's Cy Young or anything.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 31, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't see Cy Young out there. And even Cy Young got hit." Frank Robinson, 2005

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Cy Young lost more games than any other pitcher. (Of course he won more too.)

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | May 31, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

HEY, CIL! I'm very interested in hearing your comparison of Petco and NatsPark. Thanks for sharing your impression that Petco is bigger and has more amenities. Could you give me some detail? They look just the same, and I'm wondering if some of the offensive anemia is park-related.

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

ML: (Pirates outfielder) Jason Bay has been rumored to be traded for several months now, with one of those teams being the Indians. Having come from that organization, is it easier or more difficult to trade with your former employer, principally because of the unified information both parties possess?

NH: Without speaking to any specific trade rumor, I will acknowledge that discussions with the Indians have been interesting.

From Interview w/ Pirates GM Neal Huntington, May 31 Hardball Times

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

No problem, flynnie. As to size comparisons between Petco and Nats Park, Petco just "feels" big to me when I'm there, while Nats Park does not. As to the dimensions themselves, I think center field stays deep a lot further towards the alleys in Petco--with distances over 400 feet to both the left and right of straightaway center. One thing that suggests to me that the Nats' hitting woes have nothing to do with their ballpark is go and watch bp one day--visiting teams don't seem to have a problem hitting the ball way out in bp, whereas the Nats do.

As to amenities, Petco just has a bunch of cool things that I think work well and are not over-the-top. For example, the warehouse in left is integrated really well into the ballpark. The team store is in the ground floor of the warehouse, and you can exit the store and stand and watch the game from field level behind the left field wall. The concourses are open and similiar to Nats Park, though the area directly behind home is open as well. The park at the Park (the grass area behind the outfield behind the beach/sandbox) is also pretty cool, and open to the public every day even when there is no game (general admission tickets at game time). Then of course you have the harbor on the back side, which is tough to beat outside of San Francisco. All in all, they had a lot more to work with in SD than they had to work with putting Nats Park in an urban wasteland. That being said, Petco just has a lot of the final touches that make it special; Nats Park to me has less, which leaves it lacking character and that something special that might really distinguish it from the other new parks.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | May 31, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

From Candles in the Wind, Hardball Times, May 29, 2008 by Brandon Isleib

Relief Pitcher (Games)

Most Games Before 26: Mitch Williams, by 35 games over Francisco Rodriguez, who in turn is 33 games over third-place Chad Cordero

"Some pitchers just can't handle the mileage. One is reminded of Oliver Wendell Holmes's poem "The One Hoss Shay", in which a wagon was built to have no weak points (since the weak point is always the first to go) and succeeded so well that, when it did fall apart, every piece fell apart simultaneously. Yet its imminent destruction was plain to see:

You see, of course, if you're not a dunce,
How it went to pieces all at once,
All at once, and nothing first,
Just as bubbles do when they burst.

End of the wonderful one-hoss shay.
Logic is logic. That's all I say.

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Recent work on pitcher abuse has helped preserve starters, but we know comparatively little about reliever workloads. Mitch Williams was test case No. One, and he didn't hold up that well, turning from rubber-armed to jelly-armed very quickly. K-Rod and Mr. Cordero (C-Cor?) are the next ones, and Cordero's injuries aren't helping the case for frequent use of young relievers. The whole idea of the college closer going almost straight to the majors (Cordero, Huston Street, and a bunch of others who haven't worked out yet) is changing this list quite a lot, and how they hold up beyond their first big free-agent contract might change both bullpen usage and drafting strategy.

From Candles in the Wind, Hardball Times, May 29, 2008 by Brandon Isleib

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie - It's ironic and perhaps a sound use of their resources (LAC, Lurker Swanni chime in), but by quickly jumping Chad to the majors, getting good use out of him, developing a replacement in the Wookie, and then having Chad burn out before he received Rivera / K-Rod /Wagner money, the Nats came close to optimizing their use of Chad's career. The one error they made was not flipping him when his value was at its max. But that is not a LAC issue, that is a "Fire Leatherpants" issue.

I realize conflating those two whines could cause the world to implode. But every now and then it is fun to bait them. Kind of like Borat's sister and Billo.

Posted by: PTBNL | May 31, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

More seriously - did anyone notice that Webb's lefty / righty splits are even more pronounced than Owings? I'd definitely pine WMP again (for his own good) and probably Flippie.

Posted by: PTBNL | May 31, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

PTBNL-I knew there was good news for someone in Chad's heartbreaking demise, I just couldn't think of who that someone could be (besides the Nats' opponents.) Thanks for keeping with the theme of the post!

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

You're correct sir! Same lineup as last night, please! And did Lastings look really good in cf, or am I just ignorant?

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, CIL! Maybe if the Nats could incorporate the Bus Barn and the Cement Factory (which, when belching smoke, makes the games look like they're being played in Mordor) we could have San Diego on the Anacostia.

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The Mordor Sharks ... it could work

Posted by: sec 3 | May 31, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I've seen bull sharks in Bayou St. John in City Park in New Orleans. They also go into fresh water in Australia and Africa, and are amazingly disease-resistant. If anything could live in the Anacostia, it would be such a shark. Yes, sec. 3, you're onto something!

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@CiL: I can understand why PetCo "feels big" - It's at near sea-level, & has "pitcher's park" dimentions. I caught a couple of games at PetCo in 2005. The only way you can "see the bay" is from the top couple of rows in LF; The 3B line facade (Warehouse) blocked everything else. The field angles from home plate -> center field to the NE. The view toward CF (when I was there) was an urban wasteland, other than the pet-park. I was pleased by the amenities (fish tacos & local micro-brews, yum!), but left with a "meh" feeling from the park.

Posted by: BIM | May 31, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie | May 31, 2008 4:26

Don't tempt me.......He still is running 50 steps to get to a ball that required 35 steps.....sometimes that is no problem, other times it is a extra base hit. Watch Langerhands and see what a direct route he takes....he know right where the ball will come down. Lastings, not so much.

Posted by: JayB | May 31, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

One thing I didn't mention about PetCo; San Diego has a trolley (electric train) system that runs along the waterfront from a mile or so east of the Convention Center north-west to around the Airport. Very cool, very convienient.

Posted by: BIM | May 31, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse