Metro delays over the weekend

Just a warning, and the Nationals want to spread the word about this, but Metro's Green Line will undergo track work on Saturday and Sunday that (and again, lifting right from the release here) "will delay fans' postgame ride from the ballpark."

Metro is providing complimentary bus service from Nationals Park to the Federal Center and Easter Market stops, where fans can access the Blue and Orange Lines. They will also provide complimentary bus service to Union Station, where fans can access the Red Line.

Drivers shouldn't be affected - you can buy single-game parking or park free at RFK Stadium and take the Nats Express (free) to the yard.

Moving on. Marlins in town. If Florida wins tonight, they'll have their best start after 35 games since ... ever.

Chico Harlan in the house. I'll get you lineups when they're available. Rain is supposed to be gone in time for the game, though I doubt they'll take batting practice.

By Barry Svrluga  |  May 9, 2008; 2:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tolman explains thought process
Next: Lineups vs. Marlins

Comments

Or, as Bob Carpenter said on the game broadcast last night, the Metro track work won't postpone your ride, but it will delay it.

Perhaps we could get Bob Carpenter's interpretation of Tim Tolman's thought process. That could be quite entertaining, actually.

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | May 9, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I wondered if anyone else caught that. In Bob's defense, that sort of makes sense in baseball-ese (a game being postponed vs. merely delayed).

Posted by: joebleux | May 9, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

G'day Chico (the writern, not the pitcher). Welcome!

Posted by: lowcountry | May 9, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Is Zim's blog what a UVA education gets you these days?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

What a joke. I just purchase my parking pass for Saturday's game. A $20 pass cost me $27.25 after all the service charges. Yes, that includes using my own paper and ink.
Welcome Chico!

Posted by: ChrisC | May 9, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, if Nats320 can do it, anyone can.
_______________
Memo to Zim: Don't quit your day job. If Chris Needham can't hack it as a blogger, there's absolutely no hope for you.

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | May 9, 2008 3:40 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

When I go to the games I take the Red Line to Union Station from eastern Montgomery County and catch an N-22 bus to the park. It saves time and transfer angst at Gallery Place . After the game I bus back to Union Station and hop the Red Line, very often ahead of ballpark travelers.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 9, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

the zim blog is a surprise to anyone here? didnt you watch those videos in spring training? i wont judge how he is with his friends and teammates, but his personality might not translate well to media formats.

Posted by: theraph | May 9, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I think Chico should introduce Bergmanndays and have Jason write a guest post every Monday morning about life in the Nats system! It would be fun! Banger!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 9, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

leetee,

why not transfer at fort totten? im curious, i always do it there and take the straight shot into navy yard. riding the bus just seems like it would take longer than doing that...

what has your experience been?

Posted by: theraph | May 9, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Idea of the day!

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | May 9, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Generally speaking, I highly recommend the N-22. And not just for red-liners. Orange and Blue should take it leaving the game. It takes 7 minutes to get to Eastern Market metro.

It doesn't really take longer; it's quieter, calmer, more comfortable and going home, you are on the trains way ahead of the crowd.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 9, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Nats Express was slow on the night with both a DC United and Nationals game, because you had to park in Lot 7 instead of Lot 8 for Nats Express and they took a very long route. Is there any word on the US Women's National Team game vs. Canada on Saturday night and if that will affect parking at RFK?

Posted by: babe | May 9, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joebleux | May 9, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

IMO, the columns that Zimm has done for one of the other papers for the past year or so have been well written. The standards for a blog are different than those for a print article. And he is a ballplayer, not a journalist or a fanatic (no, I'm not his mom, I'm just sayin' ;)).

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 9, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I live in Minneapolis. If I need to be reminded how much that sucks, all I need to do is look out my office window.

But really, that's not the first time you've posted that absurd lineup. You've made your point - MLB ran the team into the ground. It blows.

But there are many franchises that MLB has not run into the ground that are in worse situations than the Nationals are.

-----

Or you could just not sweat the details and think that it's screwed up that small market teams can't keep their good players.

Posted by: John in Mpls | May 9, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

One of the best player bloggers I've read. I even emailed him a question last year and he gave me a very lengthy, thoughtful and candid answer.

He was on a baseball america blog last year too.

The one that had me laughing so hard I was crying last year was about the pitchers shagging balls in the outfield. I read recently about Glavine or Smoltz finding a new pitch while shagging and cracked up.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 9, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the soccer game on Saturday will be bumping the Nats Express to Lot 7 at RFK. On nationals.com there is an advisory about the dates that DC United games will affect the Nats Express service, and May 10th is one of the dates listed - even though it's not a DC United game that day.

I guess it's hard to tell the difference between men and women soccer players. Okay, no female soccer players into the 3b coaching box with Tolman then. Not babelicious enough.

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | May 9, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut, that post goes in the archives next to your "Barry's packets" post.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 9, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"But hey, how about adding Babe-raham Lincoln to the Presidents Race to distract Teddy?"

Are you suggesting a runner with giant, foam

nevermind

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 9, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh right. For a second I couldn't remember what I had written. It was Barry's nuggets. Sheesh. I still laugh at how perfectly-awfully that was worded.

Noticing the top entry, which I didn't realize was there until i had already cut and pasted, I have to agree 506. Not a good introduction.

Still, Dirk Hayhurst writes some good inside stuff.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 9, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha, no, no, NatsNut, it was this line:

"I read recently about Glavine or Smoltz finding a new pitch while shagging and cracked up."

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 9, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The Chris Cooley random drug test blog entry that Dan Steinberg linked to in his announcement of Zimmerman's blog is hilarious.

I'd like to see a similar blog account of an MLB drug test. But not in Zim's blog, in Nats320.

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | May 9, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

---

I didn't see anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Austin Powers | May 9, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

OK here is my new "name." Hope you like it buddy.

Posted by: joebleuxme | May 9, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"Chico, make sure Barry shows you the 'delete' button before he takes off so that you can follow up on his threat to start removing unsigned posts.

Posted by: joebleux | May 9, 2008 4:03 PM"

Yeah, it's really bothersome to have unsigned comments on a blog full of posters with made-up usernames. Maybe a handfull of you regulars know each other from your Dungeons & Dragons conventions or something, but I really don't think the "integrity" of these reader comments are enhanced if they are attributed to "joebleaux" rather than " ". How do you like them apples?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------

?????
And we wonder why everyone thinks Americans are fat and lazy! People...Metro to Capitol South and walk for 10 minutes!! Why does everything has to be a flipping CRISIS?!

Posted by: What is wrong with us? | May 9, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

-----

Not true. I go by Lord Rumplestuffins there.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 9, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

OMG! you gotta be effing kidding me I just said that.

(slinking away)

Posted by: NatsNut | May 9, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

i guess they could make people log in to comment instead.

Posted by: 231 | May 9, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Dont' worry NatsNut. Glavine and Smoltz have been close for a long time.

Posted by: lowcountry | May 9, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I would be for ending all the fake names and anon posts across the board.

People definitely tend to be more personal and belligerent when they are either anonymous or using pseudonyms.

I think it would benefit the blog to have people required to log in and give location. If your boss or coworker or kid could identify you, you'd be a lot less likely to engage in name-calling, etc.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 9, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it doesn't help anything to log on. Check out Redskins Insider.

The reason I think people need to sign their posts is so that if we want to respond to them, we can. It's easier than saying, "hey, , I think..." and so on.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 9, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be more civil if it was more public, but if not then they just need to delete the name-calling and personal attacks.

When you have to post anonymously to avoid name-calling, there's a problem.

Posted by: @506 | May 9, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

That's the thing. Monikers are still anonymous, why leave the name blank? It's childish and [wimp]y.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 9, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

they need tolman to wave the trains home.

Posted by: dk | May 9, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

funny timing. I was writing that before even seeing @506's (anonymous) comment.

Posted by: NatsNut | May 9, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

And they need Carpy to announce it. "How long is THAT train gonna take?"

Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 9, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I have always thought that a "posted by_ _ _ _" comment showed laziness and a lack of imagination, in that order.

Posted by: Sec 204 Row K Seat 11 (A Hardwick) | May 9, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Also, if we require sign-in to post, how would we impersonate famous people?

Posted by: Frank Caliendo | May 9, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I think that I've shared this before, but I also liked Pat Neshek's blog (is there something about relief pitchers and blogging?).

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 9, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Back to Metro, add my endorsement of the N-22 bus. My only complaint about it was that once I got on, it took a while before finally getting underway, but the trip itself to the Eastern Market metro station was fairly brief (less than 10 minutes). And, there were plenty of seats available on the Orange Line train going out to Vienna (that rapidly filled up by the time we got to the L'Enfant Plaza station).

My rule of thumb (when the Green line isn't undergoing construction) is: 25k and under, Navy Yard ain't so bad. More than 25k, fuhgeddaboutit and take the bus.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 9, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Barry-

I tried asking you this question on WaPoLive, but they didn't field it.

When do you expect Garret Mock, Collin Balester or a Tyler Clippard to see time with the Nats this season?

DJ

Posted by: DJ | May 9, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

New post up.

Thanks for the bus tips, guys.

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 9, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

The fish are taking batting practice and ... Either this is a hitters park with a slight wind or they have no hope against redbeard. Maybe both.

Posted by: i hate walks | May 9, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

We should just use full names, with SSNs.

Posted by: Heywood Jablome | May 10, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse