Thoughts from Manny, and a lineup

Manny Acta's (brief) take on the Figueroa/cheering/clapping circus.

Q: Do you have a reaction to what happened yesterday regarding Nelson Figueroa?

A: I don't. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and we live in a world nowadays where everything you do and say, you're offending somebody. So I really have no reaction to it.

Q: Specifically he said if the coaching staff allowed that to continue, it's unprofessional. Is there any response to that?

A: I don't have any reaction to it. They weren't yelling names or anything like that. They were cheering their own guys. You don't see it every day in the big leagues, but I don't think they were doing anything mean.

Q: Do you take offense to that characterization, then?

A: No. he's entitled to his opinion. This is America.

Q: Are you surprised it's even an issue?

A: Yes, because half of Florida is almost going on fire, and we're hear asking questions about some guys yelling and clapping at a game. That shouldn't even be an issue.

Tonight's lineups from Shea.

Washington

Alou -- 7
Delgado -- 3
Easley -- 4
Schneider -- 2
Maine -- 1

By Chico Harlan  |  May 13, 2008; 6:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Life on the back pages
Next: Chat reminder

Comments

Chico, Manny's comment that "half of Florida is almost going on fire" strikes fear in the heart of spring training fans. You should have someone check to see if Space Coast Stadium (and Barry's beloved Panera's) are toast.

Posted by: Sandhills Native | May 13, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

With all the Nats' other worries, isn't it nice to have had Flores catching yesterday and Nieves behind the plate today?

Posted by: Section 133 | May 13, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I only wish that Estrada and Lo Duca were able to produce for a month or two to get their trade value up. Now, they're worthless in a trade and numbers 3 and 4 on the depth chart.

Posted by: Expos Fan | May 13, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

That would be HISTORIC Space Coast Stadium.

-----

Posted by: Sandhills Native | May 13, 2008 6:40 PM

Posted by: History101 | May 13, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I like the line-up, but I would still like to mix it up a little;

1. Lopez
2. Milledge
3. Guzman
4. Johnson
5. Zimmerman
6. Dukes
7. Kearns
8. Nieves
9. Lannan

Milledge looks more like a #2 hitter (for now) than a #5 hitter. Guz is the best hitter on the team right now. I'd also like to more Kearns down to take advantage of his ability to still get on base, even if he can't hit, which is less of an issue at the bottom of the order than in the middle. If Flores was starting I would bat him 7th and Kearns 8th.

Posted by: estuartj | May 13, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

"A tall right hander who throws downhill"
Great commentary on MASN2

Posted by: N@sfan | May 13, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

So they bean Flip to lead off!

Who are we going to stick to get them back? I vote for Beltran

Posted by: Pat LaFontaine | May 13, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

That's total horsesh!t. The Mets have officially supplanted the Phoolies as my least favorite team. What a bunch of bush-league garbage.

Posted by: MKevin | May 13, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Does Manny know he used the wrong 'here' in his quote?

"...and we're hear asking questions about some guys yelling and clapping at a game"

Previously I was very impressed with his english.

Posted by: Whats a Natter? | May 13, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Big time damage control by Lannan.

Posted by: MKevin | May 13, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I've been giving Mr. Harlan a free pass on the blog, since it's a less formal format than the printed paper, but "here" refers to a place, while "hear" refers to what you do with sound.

This is pretty basic English.

Posted by: The Grammar Lady | May 13, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman!!! It's outta hear!!!

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 13, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

ZIMMS! YES

Posted by: NattyDelite! | May 13, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

haha, well played Steven on CH, well played.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | May 13, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I heard today that Jews run all the media and the banks and are responsible for all the war and in the world! I can't believe it!!! My ex-girlfriend is responsible for all the war and conflict in the world. That's such a bummer.

Posted by: Ryan Church | May 13, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Ryan, you should still be a Nat!

Posted by: JSJ | May 13, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Zim, Soriano and Church are being featured right now on ESPN/MLB for hitting homers.

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Fake Ryan Church: please do us all a favor and STFU. That doesn't even remotely resemble what he said. I'm not gonna get out the torches and pitchforks against Church just because he's on another team now.

As for the hear/here nonsense, who among us hasn't made an it's/its error when we were typing quickly? I'm sure Chico Harlan knows the difference.

Sheesh.

Posted by: JennX | May 13, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to go after Church for his comments, at least address what he actually said, which is not that. Also, let it go. He's an idiot who doesn't know what he's saying, but it was, what, two years ago? Move on, guy. Seriously.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the ballplayer Church. Plays for the Mets unfortunately. Thanks Jim Bowden.

Posted by: JSJ | May 13, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, what I actually said was this:

"I said, like, Jewish people, they don't believe in Jesus. Does that mean they're doomed? Jon nodded, like, that's what it meant. My ex-girlfriend! I was like, man, if they only knew. Other religions don't know any better. It's up to us to spread the word," Church said.

But you're right, I wasn't an anti-Semite. Some of my best friends were Jewish.

But then I read this book called "Mein Kampf." Man! You wouldn't believe what that book said. Man, my girlfriend! What a bummer.

Posted by: Ryan Church | May 13, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Bob Carpenter at his best...

Posted by: BSG | May 13, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. I just can't take that kind of call. My heart dropped, and then I realized who said it, and regained hope. In the end, it was a pretty good catch, but it was totally lost in the idiotic call.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 13, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

C'mon guys. Don't let the Mets bully you. It is time to start cheering for your batters.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | May 13, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call him an anti-semite. If anything, a Godless heathen. If he were a REAL anti-semite, he wouldn't have had to ask the preacher in the first place. You really just have a case of someone asking a (very very stupid) question. But whatevski.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Good grief Bob will you ever learn?!? How can you make the same stupid mistake two nights in a row? And then try to cover yourself as if you didn't mess up?

The other aspect of Carpy's stupid non-HR calls is that, even if the ball does end up going out--which would make him "right" about the call--the call itself is just plain bad. He simply does not know how to call a baseball game.

Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 13, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

That is a far cry from your other made-up quote. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the whole "those who don't believe in Jesus are going to hell" orthodoxy is common among the teachings of many versions of Christianity. I was taken to a non-fundamentalist Lutheran church growing up and this is what I was taught too. I'm glad to say I don't believe this (or the rest of it) anymore, but it explains the whole missionary thing-- if you thought your fellow humans were doomed unless you converted them, you'd do everything you could to prevent that outcome. Ryan Church was just "inartfully" repeating what millions of your fellow Americans are taught and believe. It's not anti-semitic-- it's anti-everything-but-your-brand-of-Christian. Obviously many Christian churches do teach otherwise, but this view is not uncommon.

But I'm sure it's much easier to spew inflammatory comments than to engage in thoughtful dialogue.

Posted by: JennX | May 13, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Look what Milledge does when he's motivated! :)

Posted by: JennX | May 13, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! I need a month to heal now.

Posted by: Ryan Church | May 13, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Austin, Austin, Austin...

Posted by: BSG | May 13, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Kearns! WTF, man!?!? B-R-U-T-A-L

Maybe that'll shut the MASN announcers up about what a great RF'er Kearns is. God Bless America Kearns, c'mon man that was the 3rd out in a tie ball game!!!!!

Posted by: Ryan | May 13, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Dukes with his first hit as a Nat!

Posted by: BSG | May 13, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

If Kearns isn't going to make good plays in the field, what good is he?

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Why is Ayala in the game? We're dead set on turning him into the next Majewski, aren't we?

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 13, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Again with the hatred of Carpenter for something I, too, thought was a home run when I heard it off the bat. He even hedged tonight and made mention of the strange wind. Must we always be unhappy?

How about John Lannan tonight? Talk about someone whose line doesn't reflect his performance, man-oh-man!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

How about Maine? He could still be the winner of this game.

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

If Hill and Lannan can stay healthy, that would be a great 1-2 rotation start.

Posted by: leetee1955 | May 13, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Can we try this again?

Posted by: Elwood the Rally Possum | May 13, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that counting on Sean Hill to stay healthy is ever a good idea. Be grateful for what we get.

Lannan is good, though, real good.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

How nice would it be if Milledge stuck it to the Mets like Church has stuck it to us tonight?

Posted by: natsinthevalley | May 13, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Section 506, the problem is that Carpenter's announcing detracts from the excitement of the game. This is TV. He doesn't need to talk non-stop while the play is unfolding. Sometimes the most dramatic calls are highlighted by silence and anticipation. Carpy has zero appreciation for that. He tries to predict what is going to unfold, and then he keeps talking and the call itself becomes focused on whether or not his prediction was right or wrong. Like I said earlier, this is a bad way to call exciting plays, even if his "prediction" ends up being right.

Case in point was the play we are discussing. Milledge made a really nice and very exciting catch. But Carpy was unable to focus on that, because he had already "called" a HR and his call then needed to focus on that issue, rather than Milledge and his catch.

As to the fact you thought it was a HR, you're not at the stadium like Carpy is. I think it is very hard to separate what you heard off the bat on TV and what you immediately heard Carpy say to determine why you might have initially thought it was a HR sitting at home. But anyway that's no defense for a guy at the ballpark who is paid to call the game.

Posted by: Carpenter stinks | May 13, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Great, now we get to face Wagner next inning. Wake up Elwood!

Posted by: BSG | May 13, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

It's well past time for Austin Kearns not to be a starter on this team. As someone mentioned earlier, if Kearns was a black guy he would've been booed out of town and benched a long damned time ago. He's terrible.

Posted by: mike8 | May 13, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

wtf was flop doing? stay on the bag and make a play! he wasted dukes hustle and perfect throw

Posted by: love | May 13, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Ayala self destructing.

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Good idea. Make Ayala pitch 2.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 13, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Ayala is not self-destructing. He's breaking down from overuse. It's really kind of sad, like when they had to shoot that horse at the Kentucky Derby.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 13, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

pathetic defense tonight

Posted by: love | May 13, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Game is over. Hit Church with a nice fastball in the tooshy.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 13, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Do you think the Mets would have taken Kearns instead of Church?

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Carpenter stinks, who are you listening to that doesn't talk constantly? I completely agree with you on silence being golden, but I know ESPN, Fox, and TBS don't observe that rule. Heck, Charlie and Dave don't either, but that's a different medium, and it works well there.

Well last night we won and, except for the blessed interruption of the novelty of the six-words, we were treated to a day of Lerners are cheap, Kearns sucks, no hustle, fire JimBo. Now it looks like we're going to lose after giving up 14 hits, but only 5 runs to the Mets (which the Mets fans on the CBS Sports "glog" are absolutely livid about). I wonder what conversation topics we'll be treated to tomorrow?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

If Kearns hadn't screwed up, the worst we'd be looking at right now is a tie game. Kearns' playing lately is as bad as Bob Carpenter's play-by-play. Time to bench him I say. His offense stinks, and his defense is horrible this year too.

Posted by: BSG | May 13, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Is Hanrahan averaging one wild pitch per game? It sure seems like he is.

Posted by: Pablo | May 13, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

@506--Stan will get the blog comments he deserves.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 13, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

This isn't Stan's !@$%@ blog!!! Go send them to Stan!!!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Our problem is we got (I think) 2 hits against a guy that threw 105 pitches in 5 innings.

Is this year going to be considered a success if we have 1 game in 5 (if we are lucky) to be happy about? I would submit to you that not many people are going to be happy.

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine that any team in MLB has an OF that's anywhere near as all-round bad as the Nats.

Posted by: nattybynature | May 13, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Boy, that Church guy sure does stink, Jimbo. Glad we got rid of him and kept your great buddy, Kearnsy...

Posted by: Brewer | May 13, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

@506--your frustration is showing. Maybe you aren't enjoying the last 4 years of AAA baseball as much as you would have us believe?

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 13, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

The powers that be probably feel that if they pull Kearns now he'll be lost forever.

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

You are right that most people wouldn't be happy about that, Ed. I understand why Positively Half Street is pissed. I understand NatsNut and JennX. All of them expected big things this year (though we're doing better than last year, it should be remembered).

I don't understand why swanni is pissed, though. He's been preaching doom since the beginning. This team is EXCEEDING the expectations he laid down in spring training. And he's not the only one that's been negative lately that was negative in spring training, too. If great baseball sages like Steven knew this was going to happen, why are they so @%#&^ pissy now?

And by the way, the Nats have fewer errors than eleven (11) National League teams. Guess Manny is in good company for tolerating laziness and not teaching fundamentals, huh?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

The Nats go back to being pitiful and SOCH returns in the same night. At least it finally stopped raining.

Posted by: nats on the run | May 13, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

You know, at first I wrote a note that said, "know your place, darky," but LoDuca said I would get fined for that.

Posted by: Billy Wagner | May 13, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, amazing there is no Steven after the Nats win.

This was not a pitiful night, the Nats played well tonight. Three great things:

- Lannan managed trouble like a Hall of Famer.

- Milledge made a great running catch.

- Dukes had a very nice double and looked a whole lot more put together at the plate.

All this against John Maine, who we have a team batting average of .222 against.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that one's worth reporting.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

The Nats' team average is .238, so it's not like Maine is particularly baffling to them. And if you can feel good because Dukes is 1 for 15 instead of 0 for 15, I applaud your sunny disposition.

And I've had enought of that "but they're hitting the ball hard" crap.

Posted by: nats on the run | May 13, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

506 is upset because we won last night and yet people were still being "negative" today and pointing out how bad this team is. You know, it's funny how when the Nats win a single game and some of the realists on this blog nonetheless point out all the reasons why this team really just stinks, some of the more "optimistic" posters react with surprise and posts like "why all the hate? We won!!!". Then when the Nats lose, some of those same optimistic (delusional?) posters write things like: "watch how fickle everyone this blog is, one win and all the haters will be happy :-)"

People are pointing out all the time that this is a really long season. There's no question that it is. And if your team wins 4 out of every 10 games over the course of that long season, your team really stinks, even though the deluded among us could be happy about the team almost half the time! That's why it's hard for some of us diehard fans with a bit of perspective to get too excited over every win, 506--we know the Nats stink and are on their way to 100 losses.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 13, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

You're right 506,I am frustrated. I didn't expect these guys to win the WW, but I also didn't expect regression.

They are better than last year, but they also didn't have auditions for starting pitchers.

My problem is not the errors, it's the misplays. Maybe I am expecting to much.

Btw, what was the record last year at this point?

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

11-25 after their May 12 game last year.

Posted by: natsfan1a | May 13, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

LAC, perhaps you don't know this, but you don't sound like a realist. You sound like a negativist. A realist might mix in something positive every now and then, or at least post some numbers to support his or her opinion.

And I'm unhappy because day in and day out, this blog has turned into a laundry list of griping and it's the exact same things every day. There's never anything new. It's all the same.

Such and such player sucks. Jim Bowden only likes former Reds. He needs to be fired. Manny is too lax.

I've always tolerated your complaints, I've reached out to you, to Steven, to swanni, to understand better what you thought. I've encouraged you to be more detailed and nuanced about what exactly bothered you instead of forcing you into generalities. I've defended you and others to other people on this blog.

But with the exception of JayB, I've never seen what you die-hard fans are happy about. I don't understand why you even follow this team, because I've never heard a single thing you like about it, LAC. Is it simply an intense geographic bias? That seems like an awfully non-realist rational for such a sensible fan.

JayB has mentioned how he loves this sport and he often sees things he loves about the Nats playing this sport on the field. His bile is one dimension of his three-dimensional fandom. Where are the other two dimensions for you?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Appropriate headline for tomorrow morning edition;

Ex-Nats outhit Nats 5-4

Posted by: JSJ | May 13, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I am not predicting that they will lose 100 games, but with Bergman coming back that should give us a decent pitcher to throw against the competition on any given night.

I just feel we should be further along than a few games ahead of last years pace. The team hit .256 last year. They shouldn't be struggling to reach that point.

Posted by: Ed | May 13, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

506 I'm really not in the mood to jump through your hoops or pass your tests of fan-dom. It also seems to me like you've got quite a double-standard. I'm sure if I wrote about the "beauty of the game" or how much I love the "pastoral beauty" of baseball you wouldn't be asking for more "detail" from me. What are you looking for anyway? It should suffice to say--and should be readily apparent from my posts--that I'm a huge Nats fan who is growing increasingly discouraged about the atmosphere of losing that is developing around this team, on all fronts.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 13, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

True, Ed. The good news is that in 416 PAs in May, the Nats are hitting .263, .336 OBP, and .408 SLG. March/April was .229/.311/.337 over 1077 PAs.

2007 April/March: .234/.315/.332
2007 May: .246/.310/.376

Don't forget, too, that it was mid-May that we were pointing to as the turn around last year and we're not even there yet. I think we've all forgotten how very miserable early 2007 was.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

No, LAC, I've never seen anything positive from you regarding this team. Ever.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

And now for something completely different ...

I actually like Carpenter. He's a little over the top on the company line, but I'm guessing that he has significant encouragement to remain so. He sometimes calls a play too quickly, but so did Harry Carray and so does Ron Santo and so do many of the truly great announcers.

Steve Stone tells the following Ron Santo story: "So Ron gets caught up in his story's from time to time. Once the pitcher strikes out the batter but Ron is looking down. After the strike out, the batter slams his bat on the ground, and the catcher fires the ball to the third baseman. Santo looks up sees the third baseman snag the throw and enthusiastically announces that the batter has lined out to third." His partner says meekly, "um, no Ron, that was a strike out".

I'm not saying Carpenter, is Ron Santo. I'm just saying, lighten up. The game is there to be enjoyed.

Posted by: NatBisquit | May 13, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I should point out, I don't care if you jump through my hoops to prove your fanliness. I am more interested to understand why you root for this team that you are so positive is damned by their own hand.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 13, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Time to get rid of Lenny H. and bring in Barry L. as hitting coach and swap bullpens with Columbus. I'm getting tired of watching the same s**t.

Posted by: will o. | May 13, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

And with regard to Kearns, he really is having an all around tough season in the field and at bat. It si beginning to look like he may never be a good enough hitter to justify being in the everyday lineup. However, last year he really was exceptional in the field. In fact, Bill James study on fielding range rates him third in the majors for best range among rightfielders. But he is misplaying alot of balls at home and away this year. I like having him on the team, but his early season slumps the last two years have been pretty damaging offensively.

Posted by: NatBisquit | May 13, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

506 this is more than you deserve, but in any case here you go: I'm a Nats fan because I grew up playing competitive baseball and love the game more than any other. Because I waited a hell of a long time for DC to have its own baseball team. Because there's nothing like going to the ballpark in your home town and watching your team play baseball *respectably* and the right way. Because I want to share rooting for the home town team and going to games with my now young sons for years and years to come.

What's your point anyway? I shouldn't be a fan because I see things the way they are? That's ridiculous; I wonder if you even understand what it means to be a fan if that's what you think. I am abgry about the insulting piece of crap team that the Lerners and Stan have forced down our throats for the past 2 years. They're not even trying to field a competitive team, and it is a complete joke. Rather than put a respectable team together, they feed us marketing crap like "pledge your allegiance so you can get good seats at the new ballpark" and "come see the awesome HD scoreboard (that we still don't know how to use)". It kills me that the Lerners and Kasten are creating this environment of losing. It is very hard to overcome that type of atmosphere. Some day, hopefully the Nats will overcome the horrible start of an era that Stan has ushered in. But I'll remain a fan no matter what. Being a fan does not mean viewing everything through rose-colored glasses.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 13, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

LAC you are right on. What is mind boggling is the number of people on this blog falling all over themselves to defend ownership's lowering of the expos payroll to the 4th lowest in baseball -- in a brand new $611MM, publicly financed stadium. This should be recognized for what it is: a fraud and a travesty.

Posted by: kjm | May 13, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I think the time has come to find a long term replacement for Kearns. Big Country is bringing nothing to the table, and it doesn't look like he really even cares all that much. Loser. The Millidge trade looking worse and worse as well.

Posted by: trez | May 13, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

What LAC said.

And what's the deal with accusing me of not showing up after the wins? I posted my little haiku this morning: "One win does not competence make." And if there was EVER a win not to be proud of, it was last night's debacle of error son both sides.

The goal, remember, is to win the World Series. Not to avoid embarrassment or find some feel good stories from the scrap heap. The World Series. That's what I'm rooting for as a fan. Flailing around randomly, lurching from Ortiz to Simontacchi to Bascik to Hanrahan to whoever they go to next... this is not a well-run franchise.

And although you may think I have some irrational axe to grind with Bowden, I don't. I have looked at the team and concluded that he's the weakest link, the greatest culprit--that's not the same as a bitter, irrational grudge. I'm willing to give Kasten more benefit of the doubt because he had success in Atlanta, and I'm willing to give the Lerners some time to find their way as new owners. But Bowden has had almost 4 years here, and 10 years in Cincinnati, and he's done nothing but fail. We've heard all the excuses, a number of them I've considered, looked into, and found either inaccurate or overplayed. But regardless none of it proves that the guy is a good GM who can build a winner. So he needs to go, for the good of the team, a team I root for, or else what the heck am I doing here? That's not an axe to grind, it's just a well thought-out, firmly held opinion. And the horse can't be dead till he's gone.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 13, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

OK
LAC and SoCH have posted their exact same opinions for the umpteenth time, where are you Coverage is Lacking? It's not a Beating a Dead Horse Party without you!

Posted by: Pat LaFontaine | May 14, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Pat, I thought we renamed it Beating A Concussed Hockey Player. Did you forget about that in your concussed stupor? By the way what opinion have you ever expressed here, if you can remember?

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 14, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

LAC, Actually, my opinions are just about the same as all 3 of you Windbags. I'm just sick of reading the same rants over and over and the constant negativity. Yes, there is lots to complain about, but you never mention anything positive, EVER. I can just see you at the Park, when a Nat hits a homer, everyone cheers except LAC, who is b**tching b/c the scoreboard has a glitch. I hope you are a more positive "Fan" of your sons when they play ball

Posted by: Pat LaFontaine | May 14, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I would do anything to get a hit against Steven of Capitol Hill. Maybe in the head, maybe in the kidneys. Shut up dude!

Posted by: Give Me a Bat | May 14, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Patty you don't know anything about what kind of fan I am at the ballpark, but I think it's safe to say that the Nats have far bigger problems than me as far as the enthusiasm of their fans is concerned. I actually stand up and cheer when it's warranted, including when the Nats take the field in the 1st inning, something that hardly no one does who isn't sitting behind the Nats dugout. I stand up and clap when the Nats score. I pay attention to the game, which is hardly the case for many at the ballpark who are more concerned with their blackberries and cell phones.

What about you? Are you allowed to go to the ballpark, or are your neurologists concerned that with the big crowd someone might bump into you and give you another concussion?

Posted by: Lerners Are Cheap | May 14, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

detwiler, zimmermann, mcgeary, vanallen, balester, mock, marrero, lannan, zimmerman, burgess, milledge, flores, jmax...and on and on and on. bowden has done fine and it takes a bit longer than 3 years to win a world series, 100 years in chicago, the last 10 of which they have outspent a majority of the teams in the league. please be patient cause you're driving me nuts with the cheap blah blah and the i dunno what else you want. they ponied up for all the draft picks, im sure zim will get a long term deal. i'll take my chances with the aforementioned players instead of barry zito and gil meche for 6 years and 100 million dollars. you are all insane shut up and give it 3 or 4 more years. nats park wasnt built in a day

Posted by: love | May 14, 2008 3:34 AM | Report abuse

love- loved your hockey posts, but baseball may be your first love, judging from this last.

Posted by: flynnie | May 14, 2008 4:50 AM | Report abuse

"Utterly joyful and believing in that joy - alright with it." Roger Angell. "It is foolish and childish, on the face of it, to affiliate ourselves with anything so insignificant and patently contrived and commercially exploitive as a professional sports team, and the amused superiority and icy scorn that the non-fan directs at the sports nut (I know this look -- I know it by heart) is understandable and almost unanswerable. Almost. What is left out of this calculation, it seems to me, is the business of caring -- caring deeply and passionately, really caring -- which is a capacity or an emotion that has almost gone out of our lives. And so it seems possible that we have come to a time when it no longer matters so much what the caring is about, how frail or foolish is the object of that concern, as long as the feeling itself can be saved. Naivete -- the infantile and ignoble joy that sends a grown man or woman to dancing and shouting with joy in the middle of the night over the haphazardous flight of a distant ball -- seems a small price to pay for such a gift." - Roger Angell

Posted by: flynnie | May 14, 2008 5:43 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

Not a single quote from Acta in the gamer?

Time has come to ask him about CF and Milledge's total melt down. Acta has vouched for him day after day. Acta vouched for him the day the trade was made. "He's a great kid" and "he is learning every day".....can we ask what he is learning? He is trying to pull everything and over swinging every AB. Someone needs to all it as they see it and get Acta to face facts. That person could be the reporter with access Chico.

I know you're new around here Chico but what I see is a trend where Acta will live in denial as long as you let him.

Posted by: JayB | May 14, 2008 5:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and before you start in all you Jimbo/Milledge apologists......

9 out 10 MLB Center Fielders would have made that catch (not a routine play) look routine. Do not be fool by out TV play by play guy who can not judge fly ball much better than Lastings.

1 out of 30 MLB Center Fielders would make that catch falling down and then come up pumping his fist in celebration......getting old that that one is ours.

Posted by: JayB | May 14, 2008 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Len Shapiro's Sportswaves column in the Post goes a long way to explaining the weather on this blog. There are the joyous, the caring, and then come the cold fronts of the edgy, the cruel, because over-the-top cruelty gets attention, and, to quote his e-mail of the week, "very few humans in society get no pleasure from mocking or belittling others." There will be storms.

Posted by: flynnie | May 14, 2008 5:59 AM | Report abuse

JayB - Lasting's catch made Sports Center's Top 10 plays. Don Sutton said that it was "Wonderful." Lastings showed a lot of physical courage in slamming into that wall and holding onto the ball. Did you criticize Aaron Rowand for breaking his face in Philly to make the catch that put him out for a good bit of the 2006 season? Seems an odd time to savage Lastings.

Posted by: flynnie | May 14, 2008 6:04 AM | Report abuse

And Barry, when socializing with the Germans at the Olympics, keep this in mind: Drinking

• It is considered impolite to start drinking before everyone has raised glasses together, a procedure you usually repeat with each round. (According to German superstition, if you don't look into another person's eyes when clinking glasses, seven years of bad sex will follow.)

German Business Etiquette, From The Economist.

Posted by: flynnie | May 14, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

What part of "this isn't the year, we need to rebuild in the minors" makes you think I am an apologist? There are many folks out there, a lot of them very wise baseball folks, who believe that a repeated championship team takes several years to develop.

Save your condescension. You call me ignorant, but you look impatient. The baseball fan you claim to be should know that impatience is never a virtue in baseball.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 14, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Flynnie,

Be careful of what spots center thinks is a great play.....they show the last few seconds of a play and if someone falls down or runs into a wall it is top 10 no matter how poor the track to the ball. Just note Kearns play this year as an example.

If you are listening to the TV broadcasts, have you noticed how anything and everything the Nats do is showing progress.....in the case of Milledge.....the emperor is not wearing any pants....

Posted by: JayB | May 14, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

What if Church would have been an ex Red? Would he still be roaming right field for our beloved Nats? I'd like to think that if RC were still in DC he'd be performing the way he is now, but I really don't think he would. A change of scenery is what he really needed and he got it. I'm not going to bash Kearns for one mis-judged hard hit line drive. I've seen him make to many nice plays and exhibit a strong throwing arm to throw him to the wolves over one play. Lets face it, they didn't deserve to win that game what with that anemic display of offense last night., save for the 2 run bomb off Zims bat. As far as the Milledge catch in center, it was an improvement over some of the plays he's butchered previously. The NY tv broadcasters were commenting how much the winds at Shea have changed with the construction of citi field going up beyond the fences. I will say this though, Lastings needs to find his way at the plate. I agree with some previous posters that it appears he is trying to pull most everything. He'll need to show an ability to take pitches the opposite way a bit more than he has displayed thus far. I wonder also how much this wrist thing with Nick is going to play out...perhaps Boone will get some more playing time. Lastly, expections for this season weren't high anyway, so I suppose we should consider that before we pull the trap door lever on management just yet...then again....

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 14, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

SoCH sez "And although you may think I have some irrational axe to grind with Bowden, I don't."

Then boy do I feel sorry for anyone you DO happen to have an irrational axe to grind with.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | May 14, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

I've been a little harsh on some of you. I've forgotten that you used to be able to just drive up the BW Parkway a little bit to find a team consistently willing to pay top dollar in order to buy a championship caliber team, but after nearly 20 years of falling flat on their faces, even the Orioles have realized that simply spending a lot of money won't get you a pennant. But, then again, a lot of you refused to follow the Orioles, so maybe you never learned that lesson.

I would gladly be historically bad for two (2) seasons, in order to be the dominant team for the following decade and a half. I guess I'm not as serious a fan as those of you who want to be mediocre forever.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | May 14, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

What a bunch of whiny, crying, angry, bitter, hateful, vituperative, misanthropic, cranky, curmudgeons. Hang the players, bludgeon the management, eviscerate the broadcasters, impale the owners, torch the network, and scorn the team. (Seriously, torch the network). Then let's drive to Baltimore and watch the Red Sox.

Did no one read or understand the part where the franchise had been completely torn asunder by MLB before being brought to DC?

When you have no flour you can't make bread. You have to plant the wheat, grow the wheat, harvest the wheat, mill the flour, and bake the bread before you can eat the bread. In 2005 we bought the farm, 2006 they started gaterhing seed, 2007 they started growing the wheat, but we have not yet ocme to the part where we mill the flour and bake the bread. (see The Little Red Hen, Story of)

Posted by: NatBisquit | May 14, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see any comments on Dukes throw from the left field corner to 2nd base on Schneider's double. It appeared to me that if the infielder (can't remember who was on the bag) had been paying a little more attention & was better positioned he could have tagged Schneider out. Nice cannon on Dukes! (trying for the positive!)

Posted by: N@sfan | May 14, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm still laughing Natsbisquit...that was so wonderful, and it reminds me that I need to run to the grocery store for bread...keep it up so I can keep smilin.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | May 14, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Lopez....ofcourse......head up his $#$ yet again......Yes Dukes can through....CF is where he should be starting today....Milledge.....AAA

Posted by: JayB | May 14, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Sorry....hate his Blackberry on the Metro

"Throw"

Posted by: JayB | May 14, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

So now we have posters invoking the Cubs as a model and reason for patience. See what I mean about creating a culture and environment of losing?

I'm not angry about the Nats because they're not yet a championship-caliber team. I'm angy about them because Stan and the Lerners fielded an insulting piece of crap team and they're not even trying to field a team that is competitive. There is no excuse for that. And there's no reason why they couldn't have tried to at least field a respectable team while simultaneously developing young players on the farm. Except for the fact that they are cheap and unwilling to spend the money that would have been required to do that.

Hoping that your draft picks become all-stars is not a "plan." Every team tries to do that. Stan does not have a "plan," as he told Barry.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 14, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

There is a smart way to spend money and a dumb way.....growing tired of those who hold out the O's as a good reason to suck for years......You can spend smart, put a competive product on the field and build the farm at the same time...just becuase Peter A sucks does not mean we are being smart.....world is not black and white people......

Posted by: JayB | May 14, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 14, 2008 8:39 AM
---
I'm amazed that the Nats front office hasn't contacted you yet since you seem to know exactly how to fix their every problem. Me, I'm just happy to walk into the park, knowing that I'm going to a MLB baseball game 15 minutes from home. Right now, I go home less happier more often than not, but I still caught a game, some peanuts & beer and made it back home in 15 minutes. I figure it can only get better. You just have to believe the glass is half full.

Posted by: N@sfan | May 14, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

That's super, N@sfan, I'm truly pleased for you that you can be happy with so little. You are the Lerners' model customer.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 14, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey folks - the point of this blog is to express our hopes and frustrations. So far this team is a disappointment and the MLB excuse is getting old. Kind of reminds me of the 30 yr old still blaming his parents. Other teams have faced adversity and moved on. I will admit it - I am frustrated at having to face another subpar season. I also heard a comment on the radio the other day that the Nats only have two position players (Zimmerman & Johnson) that would be everyday players on any other team in MLB. An exaggeration perhaps but close to the truth as things stand now.

However, the Lerners are new and need to be given a chance, but, on the other hand, their nickel and dime behavior with DC over the past year does cause me some concern. Bowden is not the antichrist. He is an average GM who has started to get the Nats farm system back on track. I think Boz got it right in a recent column that this offseason will be revealing as to the future.

Posted by: DKNatsFan | May 14, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Jimbo is not the average GM......nobody else would take Dukes.....nobody else would put all his eggs in the Milledge, Pena basket. Nobody else would accept a starting Catcher and backup that might well go a whole season without throwing out a runner. Jimbo is hot or cold and high risk...not really what a Plan calls for......

Posted by: JayB | May 14, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Whether you think the "Plan" is good or bad, right or wrong, they're all just opinions. No one is right or wrong in what they think and what they're happy with.

Having said that, I think lAc is exactly right in saying that fans like N@sfan are exactly what Lernasten is hoping for. You have low expectations and are just happy to have a team and a new stadium. I'm not.

It's like if you opened a bar in a neighborhood that never had one. Lots of people there have been used to having to walk long distances or take the Metro to go get a drink. Some people will be happy with wam beer, dirty taps, and sub-par food simply because it's new and convenient. As the bar owner, you gotta love that. Who's easer and less expensive to please, a customer expecting evrything to be top-notch, or the customer who's willing to accept crap for the first 6 months just becaus it's new?

Posted by: Matt | May 14, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Looking for the positive, Dukes had a double, he runs fast, & he made a good throw. Nice to see in someone who had been on the DL for weeks.

BTW, Chico, I would take issue with your wording that because of Kearns's misplay, the Nats lost. Yes, it was crucial, but no one play ever loses or wins a game. Overall, thank you for the gamer.

To add a lighter note, cd someone enlighten me on the possum? Was there ever really a possum at Nats Park? (Maybe Viera?) I am asking because I live on the Hill and we actually had a possum in our backyard twice in the last year.

Posted by: Section 109 | May 14, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm for giving AK a rest. I am ready for DY to play. I am ready for our pitchers to work fast and throw strikes. Quit the nibbling stuff. Just throw strikes. I'm sick of last place. I hate former Nats that have big mouths - MR. CHURCH.

Posted by: 6th and D | May 14, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

LAC - I've no control over the leadership, management & personnel decisions the Nats make. So it makes little sense for me to work against the effects of the Cozaar. I can either enjoy the product they field or switch to another game/team. You should consider the same if you are half as disgusted as you say...just sayin'!

Posted by: N@sfan | May 14, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Matt - I figure it's easier to have low expectations and be occasionally surprised than to have unattainable expectations that ensure I'm routinely disappointed. All that aside, we should rally all our agnst against the Mets, vice each other, since I believe each and everyone does like the Nats in their own very special way.

Posted by: N@sfan | May 14, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

oops - angst

Posted by: Anonymous | May 14, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

What's up with Ayala? 16.00+ era over last 7 games, hitters .412 against him and only throwing 83 last night? Is he hurt?

Posted by: natrat | May 14, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Again, I guess it's just a matter of differing opinions. I'm not going to lower my expectations just so I become pleased with a sub-par product. I'm not going to expect warm beer, dirty taps, and cold food just so I'm happy at my neighborhood bar. My *opinion* is that that is insanely ridiculous.

****************************************

Posted by: N@sfan | May 14, 2008 9:27 AM

Posted by: Matt | May 14, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

N@sfan, feel free to read my earlier comments in this thread about why I'm a fan of the Nats, and why I think your suggestion about "switching" to another sport or team shows a misunderstanding of what it means to be a fan. The alternatives you propose are not the only ones available. I'd rather be long-suffering (we're nowhere close to being there yet) than happy about a team that is lousy year-after-year. And switch teams? That's not what a fan does.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | May 14, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Man, I get laid up with a pinched-nerve in my neck for the past 5 days and I come back to this? People, chill. It's just a game. There will be good days. There will be bad days. Right now, the bad days are outnumbering the good. I'm not happy about it, but I try to remain optimistic that it will change.

Now, with the revelation that Bergmann will be called up to pitch on Thursday, who's going to be the one that gets sent down? It can't be a starting pitcher. I hope it's not a reliever since the Nats really need to keep a full staff of relievers right now. So, is it a position player? is it time for Mackowiak to go?

And what about later this week/weekend when Dimtri is ready to come back from his rehab? Who goes then? Would the Nats consider placing Nick on the DL to rest his wrist, then have DY and Aaron Boone man first base?

Personally, I think it's time to cut bait on Kearns. I really thought that he would come around and resemble a .270/15-20HR/75+ RBI guy. But I'm not seeing it. And I'm not reacting to his gaffe in RF last night. He's been consistently bad at the plate all season long, and I just can't take another 3 months of this hoping he starts to hit again. It's bad when your number 5/6 hitter can go 1-5 and RAISE his batting average.

Maybe a move to another team (a la Ryan Church) would get his rear into gear. Do you think the BoSox would take him? JD Drew git hurt again last night (what else is new) and for some reason I can see Kearns doing well in Boston.

Posted by: e | May 14, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"And what about later this week/weekend when Dimtri is ready to come back from his rehab?"

Dmitri won't be ready to come back from his rehab this weekend. He only just got started on it. I'm sure he'll spend the maximum time allowed in the rehab assignment before he comes back to the Nationals. And what is that time period, anyway - a couple of weeks? A month? If all goes well for him in rehab, he'll be back in time to DH in the interleague games in June, not before. They're not going to rush him back just for a weekend series against the O's.

Posted by: An Bruscar Mor (#9) | May 14, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Sect. 109, there was some talk of a rally squirrel after Lo Duca's comments to the effect that a squirrel could play better than the team had been doing. Then it was revealed that the rally squirrel was already taken (See Cardinals; Yankees). At about the same time, there were several possum sightings in my garage and yard during broadcasts of night games that the team rallied and won. A hot streak by Wil Nieves coincided with these sightings. And the rest is history. :)

Also, new post.