12:46 p.m.

Some pre-game odds and ends.

* The Nats hope that Dmitri Young, who's battling a little sickness, will be able to pinch hit in the afternoon or play tonight.

* We've got a full clubhouse of the injured and ailing today. Nick Johnson, Belliard and Austin Kearns are all around. Kearns is still working to recover a full range of motion in his right arm, the effect of surgery on his right elbow. "I think throwing and swinging will probably be here pretty soon" -- in a matter of days, Kearns said. "Right now, just working on range of motion stuff, dumbbell weights." He hasn't yet resumed swinging, fielding, etc. -- things that Manny Acta referred to as "baseball activities," a term that must surely be the half-brother of my favorite sports phrase, "the football move," that glorious maneuver differentiating an incomplete from a catch/fumble.

* Aaron Boone, knees worn down by surgery, won't play every day just because Zimmerman is out. Acta will use Casto, Belliard and Harris when necessary. Acta's words: "He's not going to play every day. We're aware of that. Obviously the past week he had to play more with the Zimmerman stuff. But he feels good. Right now he's good. But we don't want to run him down. That's the reason Kory is playing today and when Belliard comes back he'll get some playing time at third; we'll try Willie Harris. We're aware of that. Our intention from day one hasn't been that Aaron Boone will go out there and play every day while Zimmerman is out.

* No info back yet on Matt Chico's MRI. Acta said that it's unlikely Chico had any form of the injury when he was with Washington. "I don't think so," Acta said. "He was here for two months. If it happened, it had to be at the end of it, because I don't feel like he would have been going out here every five days for two months being hurt."

* Same lineups as scheduled for yesterday.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 5, 2008; 12:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 11:21 a.m.
Next: 1:15 p.m.

Comments

Is Dmitri fighting sickness, like the flu, or having blood sugar problems?

Posted by: Sec 419 Row E (tonight) | June 5, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm still holding out hope that G Beckham drops to #9. It's a long shot, for sure, but I need something to come through for this team.
I'm also noticing a lot of folks asking/hoping that college kids are drafted (myself included). I wonder how that reflects on Bowden, and if that will alter his pick?

Posted by: Section 138 | June 5, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

got newposted, but this belongs right after 138's post above anyway:

keith law has the nats taking alonso, but postulates that in order to do so, jimbo will have to overrule his own scouting department (the implication being that jimbo wants a college player that will move quickly, while the scouts prefer a younger player with a higher upside, perhaps skipworth).

Posted by: bob l. head | June 5, 2008 1:02 PM

Posted by: bob l. head | June 5, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals have a whole roomful of expensive, talented, accomplished baseball people, and Bowden, to make those decisions. I think I would start buying Phillies jerseys and tickets if I found out he was getting his advice from here.
**********

Posted by: Section 138 | June 5, 2008 1:01 PM

Posted by: CE | June 5, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

i think i'd like beckham, crow, matusz or smoak. after that i'm a little less psyched.

Posted by: bob l. head | June 5, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I don't like all the talk of Bowden overruling the scouting department to draft a guy because he can reach the majors quicker. Seems to run counter to the plan. I'd want the team to take the best guy available, regardless of position/time frame/bonus demands.

For me, the draft is now where the owners have to put their money where their mouths are.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | June 5, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

If we got Smoak, we could have a pickoff attempt in a few years of Smoker to Smoak...

Posted by: expo_ram | June 5, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Favorite sports phrase: "relieved of his coaching duties."

Posted by: Cosmo | June 5, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

ummm ... let's see if we can avoid losing the game in the first inning ...

Posted by: bob l. head | June 5, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

a low bar, to be sure, but there ya go, BobL

Posted by: CE | June 5, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

top of the first:

infield 1B
F9
BB
F9
FC 6-4

21 pitches, a hit, a walk, 0 runs

so Lannan made it through with a few control hiccups but no big scares

Posted by: so far so good... | June 5, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Which reminds me, anybody seen Elwood lately?
And don't tell me, "Yeah, on 270 last night, but not soon enough to swerve."

************
Favorite sports phrase: "relieved of his coaching duties."

Posted by: Cosmo | June 5, 2008 1:19 PM

Posted by: CE again | June 5, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Guzzie's going back to the All-Star game ...

Posted by: Elwood Lives! | June 5, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Why not have Nieves catching for Lannan and Flores catching tonight? Is Jesus really going to last 18 innings today?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 5, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

hmmm. I wonder if they want to get Lannan used to a different catcher in anticipation of Nieves going back to the minors when Lo Duca gets back...

Posted by: joebleux | June 5, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse