9:56 a.m.

I feel confident saying the Nats won't have a longer and more critical day all summer. Today's schedule is epic even without Trace Adkins. We've got two games and one draft. I just arrived at Nats Park, and the sun is already hard at work baking the seats and toasting up the press box. No rain in the forecast.

I'll be posting at a steady pace today, so if you're stuck in the office at say, the Chevy Chase HR department, just keep tabs via NJ.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 5, 2008; 9:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Doubleheader Thursday; Clippard Sunday?
Next: 11:19 a.m.

Comments

You're the man Chico.

Posted by: Corey | June 5, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

And boy do those dark blue seats bake in the hot sun...

Posted by: N@sfan | June 5, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm stuck here at work, and after last nights rain out, my tickets will go unused for the 1pm game.
I'll be switching between MLB Gameday, and the MLB draft ticker often! I need all the help I can get though, Chico.
Actually, after the last chat, are you OK with me calling you "Cheeks"?

Posted by: Section 138 | June 5, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Helllllllllllooooo...are you ever gonna talk about the draft? Who are we picking?

Posted by: Lipty | June 5, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

these are the days it's nice to have XM in the office so i can listen to info about the draft like a true geek.

Posted by: 231 | June 5, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah chico, c'mon, can't you figure out who the first 8 teams are each taking so we'll know who the nats will take? The WP coverage....

Posted by: .390 | June 5, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a huge fan of the nickname "Cheeks," but it would be useful to come up with something to tell the pitcher and the writer apart.

Unless something drastically wrong shows up in that MRI and Chico the pitcher falls off our radars forever... I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Posted by: should i skip work and go to the double header? | June 5, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Random thought...
Why not ask F. Robby to come back as s "special consultant" to work with our hitters? He's not working, right? And this way Manny & Jimbo won't have to dump Lenny in the middle of the season, which they seem averse to doing. Of course, Frank in this capacity would be tutoring Harris as much as the players.

Posted by: CapPeterson | June 5, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Isn't he working in the commissioner's office doing some vague unspecified thing?

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | June 5, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

You ignored the Lopez issue during your "chat".....But it seems Acta saw the same old Lopez yet again.

Those around these parts will tell you I have long be an believer that Lopez is the cause of most evil in the world, or at least the root of poor hustle and mental mistakes this team makes over and over......Let us know when you start opening your eyes and learn what one bad apple can do to a clubhouse. Acta can not trust him to even cover 2nd base 50% of the time, but the team knows Jimbo is making Acta play him in hopes of a Type B Free Agent pick......The most effective message the Nats could send to this team and the whole organization is to tell Lopez to clean out his locker, NOW.

Posted by: JayB | June 5, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Whatever the "thing" is, isn't it related to a reward for helping increase the sale value of a certain team by a couple hundred mil?

-----------
""Why not ask F. Robby to come back as s "special consultant" to work with our hitters? He's not working, right?"

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | June 5, 2008 11:18 AM

Posted by: Juan-John | June 5, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm not one to agree even just a little with JayB but, I think he has a point about Lopez. Something needs to be done with this guy and not just sit him for a game. Take his job away and put him on PH/PR duty only, just outright release him, or trade him for anything, a ham sandwich, a 6 pack, a fungo, whatever.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | June 5, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

i think something ought to be done with flopez, too. my only concern is who's playing 2B and backing up at SS after we do something with him? those issues have to be addressed before jettsoning flopez.

Posted by: 231 | June 5, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

231,

That is a valid concern, who backs up at SS. I think Ray Olmedo can be called up in the mean time to play some 2nd along with Willie Harris and be the back up at SS. He has some ML experience from his time with the Reds. (Cue the Reds/Bowden hating from SoCH).

Posted by: Section 505/203 | June 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"the team knows Jimbo is making Acta play him in hopes of a Type B Free Agent pick......"

That's a dangerous game because the only way to get compensation is to offer FLop arbitration . . . which he might take! I mean who would be dumb enough to give him a better deal than what the arbitrator would??? (Hopefully there is a bigger idiot out there)

On the draft, it looks like its between the college pitcher Crow and the HS catcher Skipworth. Maybe Posey and his $12m bonus demand pushes him down but not likely.

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | June 5, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse