Lineups

Steve Yanda again. You're stuck with me for one more night, folks. Let's try to have some fun. And we'll start with the lineups:

Rangers

Belliard, 3B
Lopez, 2B
Lo Duca, C
Pena, LF
Mock, RHP

By Chico Harlan  |  June 21, 2008; 5:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quite the summer kick-off
Next: Time for a quickie

Comments

Thanks.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 21, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

OK guys, remember - righties pull, lefties take the ball the opposite way.

I got a note from some of the folks on a Nationals blog that said it is OK to wipe out the catcher if there is a close play at the plate. Spikes-first slides into second when the 2d baseman's covering, but we are not going to be able to get back to our hotel if we harm the shortstop.

Posted by: Ron Washington | June 21, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

So, Yanda, are you employed now? I like your stuff.

Emilio, can we keep both Yanda and Chico?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 21, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers lead 3-0 in the first? I guess we've got them where we want them.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 21, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

leetee-

Fatass in left field is playing up to his typical form. Thus, the explanation of the score.

Posted by: EmbarassedNatFan | June 21, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I still say WMP must have some compromsing photos of JimBow to still be on the roster. It must make the young Nats pitchers feel secure having the man of his statue playing that matador defense behind them. I personally think WMP's allergic to leather. Glad he wasn't starting when I went to last night's game.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 21, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I found Chris Needham on Baseball Think Factory, defending Trader Jim but: 2. Chris Needham Posted: June 20, 2008 at 03:38 PM (#2827406)
FIRE LENNY FARKING HARRIS!!!!!

Seriously. the guy's completely killing the team.

See strike, hit strike to opposite field -- that's his approach. Saps 'em of power. Saps 'em of patience. They're just a miserable lot.

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The Wasteland of Minimal Production is a double-threat. He's killing the Nats on both defense and offense.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 21, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

flynnie

be sure to send SoCH the info on how to reach needham's treatise defending jimbow, lol!

Posted by: natsscribe | June 21, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

More from a man who cared enought to blog for three years about this team: 17. Chris Needham Posted: June 20, 2008 at 05:40 PM (#2827639)
Just as it wasn't fair to expect all the signings/retreads to pan out, it's amazing at how almost none of them have. He rolled snake eyes instead of box cars. Both are equally improbable.
27. Chris Needham Posted: June 20, 2008 at 06:40 PM (#2827692)
I'm not saying Bowden had better options, just that his strategy wasn't that likely to lead to much of anything.

Well, yes. I don't think that they really expected it to amount to anything either. The edict is coming from above his head. They give him a low budget to find his proverbial 'lightning in a bottle' while all us suckers go to the new stadium, enriching our cheapass owners. All the while, they're reloading the farm system and devoting most of their resources and attention there.

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope all the suckers see a Nats win tonight.

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Blastings Thrilledge is +2 with the spectacular run-saving catch and the homer.

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, WMP seems to have a severe baseball allergy, both with glove and bat. I'm guessing his time will be up when Kearns returns. WOW! Milledge nearly plants one on the LF plaza. Yeah, Lastings should stay in CF and move Dukes to RF when Keansy returns.

Posted by: NatMan | June 21, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Dmitri looks well.

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

geez, can somebody get this "steve" guy an account of his own?

Posted by: it guy? | June 21, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Meant to say move Dukes to LF. Got too excited by the Milledge blast.

Posted by: NatMan | June 21, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I hereby introduce religion to this site by praying that Willie Mo bust out of his slump in this game. It hurts too much to watch.

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Well he's leading off. Guessing he gets a steady diet of breaking stuff low and away. Simple but effective for the pitcher

Posted by: NatMan | June 21, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

What about Nick Johnson? Here's a guy who's hurt a half to 2/3rds of every season. Do people still think he's part of the future?

Posted by: Ed | June 21, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

To NatBiscuit, whom I hope is enjoying the game, but has not been enjoying the Nationals Journal:"How did the Easter Islanders use you?" asked Stephen.
"Oh, pretty well, sir, on the whole; they are not an ill-natured crew, though much given to thieving: and I must admit they ate one another more than was quite right. I am not over-particular, but it makes you uneasy to be passed a man's hand. A slice of what might be anything, I don't say no, when sharp-set; but a hand fair turns your stomach. Howmsoever, we got along well enough."
Patrick O'Brien, The Truelove,(Title is "Clarissa Oakes" in Britain) p. 22.

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, it's Patrick O"Brian, and Lord, thank you for answered prayers and hoe-town calls!

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

That was home, not hoe! Really, My Dear Wife, Really!

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

My buddy from the Dominican is in my seats with his 6 year old boy, Fernando Cepeda. He's seeing a good game, a surprisingly good game from Mock. I hope he sees a Nats win on a Wily Mo homer!

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

SoCH,

your favorite GM was interviewed on nats.com about the state of the team. nats.com also reports that nick johnson has suffered a recovery setback. who knew?

Posted by: natsscribe | June 21, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Wily Mo hits winning walkoffs weekly? Bartender, cut flynnie off. There is also a new post.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 21, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Is this a quality start for Mock, or is 4 runs allowed one too many?

Posted by: flynnie | June 21, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't like Manny's decision to have FL bunting.

Posted by: Ed | June 21, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Bottom of the 6th with bases loaded.

Pena does . . .

absolutely nothing

again

Posted by: EmbarassedNatFan | June 21, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Ouch. Thankfully I went to last night's game.

Posted by: Count Demoney | June 21, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

one too many, flynnie. not that it's going to matter much, tonight or in the long run.

Posted by: CE | June 21, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse