Lineups from Nats Park

Back at the ballpark today: Pete Orr, Steven Shell, the beat writer.

Orr is in the lineup today, having been recalled from Class AAA Columbus, where he'd been hitting .267 in 251 at bats. It's an interesting footnote to today's game that, in the last week of March, the Nats finalized their roster by sending to the minors both Orr (who'd batted .389 in spring training) and John Lannan, starting today against the Rangers.

At the time, the Nats knew that Lannan would soon be back in the bigs.

Orr didn't have the same assurances. He faced an uphill climb to reach the Nats because he wasn't on the 40-man roster and had been signed to just a minor league deal. Take money out of the equation, and Orr, not Rob Mackowiak, probably would have started the season in the big leagues.

Gotta say, though, I am going to miss Ryan Langerhans, whose musical taste was just as great as that homer he robbed in San Diego. (Reckless Kelly, Randy Rogers Band among his faves. Good Texas rock-country.)

Anyway, let's get on with today's lineups.

Texas

Flores - 2
Belliard - 5
Pena - 7
Orr - 4
Lannan - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  June 22, 2008; 12:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Postgame wrap-up
Next: Lannan update

Comments

Good to have you back Chico, Yanda back to Columbus, but he filled in admirably.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Haiku Lady
Quikie yesterday but, now
Afternoon delight.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 22, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Is 32,000 the best the Nats can do in terms of attendance? The O's are out of town, school is out, nice weather, interleague play (against one of the old DC teams), and that's the best the Nats can do?

Come on guys, let me hear the excuses this time. I'd be delighted to hear what you all come up with this time.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 22, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with 32,000 attendance to see a last-place team play another team that's going nowhere? I was at the game last night, and unlike games when the Cards, Phillies, Cubs, Mets, etc are here, those 32,000 folks were almost all hometown fans. Not a bad turnout, all things considered, I'd say.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 22, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

O, Positively Half Street, you've got everybody in my crowded house laughing hard!

"The girls were simply waiting for a mention of Exxon/Mobil during the 7th inning stretch so they could boo at the top of their lungs."

Now I know what you're doing when you're not posting-supporting and wrangling that crew! I've watched my three daughters go into adulthood, and how they loved to march with moveon.org chanting"What does democracy look like? This is what democracy looks like!" The bicycle courier among them rode with Critical Mass. Her husband gave her $1,700 to quit the courier job when she was pregnant with their son, Tris. But she also knows what it's like to come to the plate with the bases loaded with a championship on the line and whiff.

Your posts are such a pleasure! Thank you!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

231 - May I add a 6th point to your last post? You could try being less arrogant. Those around you would appreciate it. Papelbon would never make it though the lineup the 3rd time. He only has two good pitches, and his shoulder is wearing out. They would have moved him if they could, and some GM is going to pay more than he's worth to find out that he can't start.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Orr looked just like Rich Short laying out like that, but with a much happier result. Something to cheer about!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Know where I might be able to find statistics about how many pitches a batter sees in at bat that were used in todays spread in the sports section?

Posted by: Natsfan703 | June 22, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Know where I might be able to find statistics about how many pitches a batter sees in at bat that were used in todays spread in the sports section.

Posted by: Natsfan703 | June 22, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"I'd rather see him gone, too"

_______________

Ray--excellent news! Welcome to the team. Don't forget to sign the petition:

And remember, there's space for you to personalize your own reason for why YOU think he should go.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 22, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

OOPS I f-ed up the link again. Gotta get better at this promotion biz.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 22, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

maybe i could come across less arrogant. but sometimes when people say things that gall me, i let my dander get up. i would put the concept that papelbon stinks as a starter would be one of those. i've seen plenty of arguments that papelbon is better off as a closer than as a starter, but none of them said or implied he would "stink" as a starter (other than the one i just read that you posted, and what he put out as his "reliever" numbers would seem to imply he wouldn't be a great closer, either). they only said he would be *better* as a reliever.

so maybe i come across as arrogant sometimes, and for that i'll apologize. maybe i went overboard disputing what you said (and what you posted) point by point. but i think the argument that he stinks as a starter bears no actual evidence to support it, just some supposition (unsupported by statistics) for it.

i'll agree to disagree with you and let it go. as was pointed out, this isn't SoSH.

Posted by: 231 | June 22, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I just realized, people are sleeping on Lannan as the Nats representative for the ASG.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

He's 4-8. He's not an all-star. Run support be damned. Win a game here and there.

Posted by: Lannan? | June 22, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Chico, thanks for reminding us of Langerhans' Larceny at Petco-he gave us some great moments, just not enough at the plate.

231-thanks for the apology. I know I'm often a dumbass without having to read it in the paper. Don't mind the evidence to the contrary, just the general comments about how random and inaccurate my posts are. PTNBL is very good about disagreeing without insulting.

And Brandon Boggs just homered! Great! Another come-from-behind win for the Nats!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

MASN just showed a graphic that Lannan leads the league in lack of run support.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Chico - Thanks for this quote, which I'm printing up and keeping at my desk: "The first thing you have to realize -- once the decision is made, it's made," Orr said today. "Thinking about it any more isn't going to help you. I just went into it with the attitude, OK, it's over with. It's done with now. I have to prove that I can come back."

Felipe needs someone to teach him some amnesia after he commits an error or doesn't come through at the plate. He's fighting battles lost in the middle of the battle present.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Ray--excellent news! Welcome to the team. Don't forget to sign the petition:"

There's a petition to have you locked up in the rubber room? I'm all over it. What's the URL again? The one you gave before is some wacko fire Bowden site.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 22, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

This excuse for a team, sorry as it may be, is infinitely better than no team at all. I make no apologies for accepting this excuse for a team. It will get better. And if it doesn't? We'll still have a team. Gain some perspective, you Red Sox wannabe.

-------------
The team has been here since 2005.

It cannot legally relocate for at LEAST the next THIRTY-FIVE YEARS.

how long will this "just be grateful you have baseball at all, how dare you actually want the team to be competitive" excuse linger?

When will it be OK to prefer seeing a winning, or at least slightly competitive team, instead of "just being grateful that we have a team"?

and since when does caring about the on-field success of the team make you a "Red Sox Wannabe"?

I'm going to assume I'm missing the point here, and ask you to explain what I'm missing.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Lannan looks like he's in pain. Please, not him, too!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Hope Lannan is ok

Posted by: Ashburn | June 22, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for caring Mr. Madison. We need fans like you.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

from previous post:

I just don't have an irrational sense of entitlement that makes me think that a federal investigation is warranted every time the team I'm glad to have slips another game under .500.

I repeat: Gain a sense of perspective, you Red Sox wannabes.

------

Hyperbole much?

Thinking that the GM isn't the right person for the job = "irrational sense of entitlement'?

ok.

again, I'm going to assume I'm missing your point, and ask you to explain why I'm a "red sox wannabe."

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

incidentally, I'd like it known that while I have never been Bowden's biggest fan, I had nothing to do with starting the "Fire Bowden" blog. I just read it and commented a few times.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

At least he made contact.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Wily Mo Pena should not be on this team. and at least he should not be starting, if anything.

But I am EXTREMELY grateful that I can watch him stand at the plate and do absolutely nothing. No other city in America has such a privilege.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

letee1955-why can't we make THAT kind of contact, like the Ranger 2d baseman-leadoff man just did? Kinsler has 48 rbi's, while Lannan's hit is all that stands between the Nats and a no-hitter. I wonder who on the Nats has 48 rbi?

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Lannan has the Nats only hit of the afternoon.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

flynnie - get some perspective your red sox wannabe.

be grateful that DC has a team that goes out and stands in the field. how dare you to expect them to actually play baseball.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Re - Lannan?

----------

Lannan can't control whether or not he wins a game, you can't hold it against him that his record is so poor.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh good one, Mr. Madison! And I feel all dirty and unfaithful to the Lords of the Realm coveting anyone with 48 rbi, since Christian Guzman leads our team with 28, or thereabouts, if memeory serves.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris!!

Who wouldve thought that Willie would have more dingers than the other Wily.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Whompin Willie Harris hits a tater in the pinch on his birthday! He leads the league in this category!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Lets get Lannan the win!!

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW! Happy Birthday, L'il Willie!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

WOW.

that was a BIG BOY shot.

dead center, deepest part of the ballpark, and it clear the fence by at least 15 feet.

willie harris has never hit a ball that far in his life.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"What anoys me the most is that Washington seems to be willing to accept this excuse for a team."

Sometimes ya'll act like this is Congress or something, that fans have a responsibility to protest.

Even if you don't "accept" this excuse for a team, what exactly do you think your non-acceptance is going to do?

Is anyone actually arrogant enough to think baseball decisions are made around fan protests?

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow, way to battle Dukes... Shouldn't have sent Guzman, IMO, the risk isn't worth the reward, Guzman doesn't steal at 70%, not as fast as he used to be.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Jason, if Lannan had the ball instead on Padilla in the only All-Star game to be called while a tie, he wouldn't be whining about the pitch count or sending his manager to the Commissioner to call the game. I like Lannan in the All-Star rotation, as long as Guzman gets to go too, which is asking way to much for a team so aptly described by Mr. Madison, Lerners ARE Cheap, SoCH, Coverage is Lacking, PTBNL. Chris Needham, Love (very funny dude) 231, and others to whom I mean no offense by omission.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Gut, you took the words out of my mouth on attendance.

I am so, so impressed and happy that people are still coming to the ballpark. 30,000 is AWESOME considering
a) the team stinks more now than it has since 2005
b) we just came off a bad series
c) not a Rangers fan to be found (at least we didn't see any yesterday).

Great job, Washington. I'm proud of you

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

----

no, not me.

But it's still my right as a fan to complain about it when the team plays like crap, just as much as I praise when the team plays well.

I shouldn't be given crap for it by people who don't care how the team plays. I don't give anyone who is "just grateful" any crap for being so, so why do they give me crap?

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

let me correct a sentence here:

"I shouldn't be given crap for it by people who don't care how the team plays either way, so long as they do."

that's what I mean to say.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Im not necessarily saying Lannan is a better choice than Guzman, just surprised that he hasn't been mentioned. Especially considering Redding's name was being tossed around early on.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

if any pitcher on this staff is considered, it should be Lannan.

W/L be damned. Lannan has been our best pitcher all season. he just doesn't get any run support.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Jesus, why do we continue to put Ayala in the game? He is trash.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut - Boswell tells us to hold this ownership's feet to the fire, to demand a competitive team by 2008, steadily moving to contention in 2010. He warned the Lerners and Kasten that they are playing with fire to not sign Livo, to not sign an innings-eater, to not put out more money to give us a good product in the opening year of the new park. Les Carpenter did a 5 page piece on how shockingly expensive tickets and concessions are. His last article in the Seattle Times was to tell the fans to boycott the stadium until the owners spent more to produce a winning team. He urged fans to be more demanding. He praised Philadelphia fans for unfolding a banner calling their owners Liars! We all love the team. We all love baseball. I saw Dr. King effect change, impossible change, through use of the boycott. I didn't think of him as arrogant. He cared and he wanted a change-now!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

It looks like "Gasoline Alley" Ayala is dispensing flammables today.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

When are they gonna stop rigging the Presidential Race? The sausages in Milwaukee run, and you can bet on it. What's a girl gotta do to place an honest wager around here? If the Nats were in charge, they'd rig the coin-toss at the Super Bowl! When can I put 100K on Teddy?

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Boswell has spent too much time over at Redskins Park becoming a Gibbsologist. Whenever the Nats do start signing FAs, Boswell will have them winning the World Series every offseason just like the Redskins win the Super Bowl every offseason.

I prefer to remain a skeptic, hoping for the best. Big payroll signings during the offseason will leave me just as skeptical as what they've done so far, until things start happening on the field. One of these days something will work out, or if enough years go by without it happening, the cast of characters running the team will change and something else will be tried. That's the way of the world everywhere else in MLB (except for Boston and New York), and anyone who expects it to be different here is a self-entitled Red Sox wannabe.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 22, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Gretzky, stop using my handle!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Belliard goes Navy Yard!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Ronnie!!

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

That didn't take long.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Belly, El Tigre del Licey, ties it, driving in Flores, who reached on an 0-2 count. THATS WHATIMTALKINABOUT! And, Bely,w/Christian, is featured on the Licey website.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I am convinced this team simply doesn't like John Lannan.

soon as he comes out of the game, they start hitting.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Josh Hamilton is a much better defensive outfielder than I thought whden I saw him Friday night. I saw him last year with the Reds, and was wondering why a guy his size was playing center. What I like the most is that you never see his first step towards the ball as he's off at the crack of the bat.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

-------------------

ok.

but I haven't seen anything that makes me think that you are somehow different from everyone else. seems to me that most of us are the exact same way.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Orr had a couple of great cuts during his 7th inning at bat, one went foul down the first base line and the other ended up in the glove of a sliding Hamilton...

Posted by: CN | June 22, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Manny! Luis has no idea where that ball is ending up-he Rivera and Colome look like they're throwing dice.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

leetee1955-You are one funny dude!

It looks like "Gasoline Alley" Ayala is dispensing flammables today.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 3:26 PM

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I take my last post back. I'll replace that opinion with this one:

most of the people I've seen in this blog are "skeptical but hope for the best".

the only real difference is that when things don't go well, they say so, and they talk amongst themselves about what could possibly fix things.

you(Ray) come off as though you really don't care either way. or maybe you do care, you just don't feel like talking about it. or whatever.

that's the difference, as far as I see.

if that's really the case, would it then be also proper to call you a "complacent, Royals wannabe'?

no, I don't think so.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

RKGF, it is a bit odd to see someone talk about "self-entitled Red Sox fans." I mean, are you talking about guys in their 50s, 60s and 70s who have been fans all their lives? Or just Pink Hat Nation johnny and jane come-latelys? Because as to the former--and I'm the farthest thing possible from a Red Sox fan myself--I don't see how it is fair to talk about some attitude of self-entitlement among them. Unless, of course, you haven't been following baseball for much longer than the Nats' time in DC and you don't really know what you're talking about.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | June 22, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan strikes out Josh Hamilton on strike 4!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan is wilder than Paris Hilton, and now there's a man on third, and the batter walks on strike 3!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Ayala's walk crosses the plate because the ump wants to go home! The Nats ought to be at bat right now, but have to get out 4.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Who is calling balls and strikes? This ump has money on the Rangers! Once again, Hanrahan has to throw strike 4!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Game over.

Posted by: Jason | June 22, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I was at Pittsburgh's walk-out last year. It was sad and lame and those who left were booed.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Lo Duca - you are a career .290 hitter. You are due! Come on! The pitcher is 37 years old. Now he's hurt! Come on! Cost this ump some money! Fly out to right. Please, please, please Christian! Ump's expanded the zone of a sudden.Up the middle 4-3. Then Dukes fans. There's a Groundhog Day quality to this inning.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"and I fail to see how that makes the rest of us 'self-entitled red sox wannabes".

MrMadison, I don't believe I've ever called you specifically a Red Sox wannabe, have I? If so, my apologies. When I say someone is a Red Sox wannabe, I'm talking about the Red Sox Nation crowd that thinks that just because they have a team in their town (or just because they decide to root for a team from a town that they may never have even set foot in themselves) then their team's owner needs to outspend the rest of MLB and deliver a winner to them each and every year. Why? Because they're entitled to it, just because they're a fan! If the owner doesn't deliver a winner (or at least go broke trying), why then that owner is ripping them off.

The Red Sox wannabes are out there on this blog, although most of them are in denial. But the rest of us can see right through you, you know.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 22, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Keep Shell in there. Let's rally!

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

How funny is it that the Rangers' manager last name is Washington?

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Gut, there's nothing wrong with wanting a winner, as I know that you do. When you go to the park just hoping for a "quality loss," when the Angels are coming and you wonder whether they'll be held to single digits, it is natural to beg for something better.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Flores grounds into a game-ending 6-4-3 double play on a 97 mph fastball. I'm going to mow the yard. God Bless All in This House. With Ray Knight's words resounding - this team has buzzard's luck. Nothin'l die, and you can't kill anything.

Posted by: flynnie | June 22, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This is what I want to know.

who in the Nationals Management structure, is so obsessed with turning Milledge into a RBI-threat Power Hitter?

that's not what Milledge is. bat the kid second, tell him "just get on base, and steal." and get other people to drive in the runs.

the Nationals are completely misusing Milledge and it shows.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Lenny Harris

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Time to flip over to listen to the venerable Vin Scully on XM. And so it goes...

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Interesting piece on the Senator's Tom Cheney in today's Post Magazine:

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 22, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Negative Nats Stat of the Day...

Texas, with the worst ERA in the American League, held the Nats to nine runs in three games.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 22, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

listening to Manny's press conference, it sounds like he's got a bunch of guys on that roster that he doesn't want.

especially in the bullpen.

I sensed a little bit of bitterness in that "this is our Bullpen and it won't change, and we'll just have to deal with it" comment.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Lannan on the continued lack of run support.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 22, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Gut, you took the words out of my mouth on attendance.

a) the team stinks more now than it has since 2005

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2008 3:13 PM

Talk about a double standard. When people on here rip into the O's for their attendance they most certainly don't grant them the "they've stunk for 10 years" excuse.

Sweet-baby-jesus.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 22, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NatsNut | June 22, 2008 4:11 PM

======================================

The first Free The Birds rallys gained national media attention.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 22, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

From the Post, Sept. 22 2006:

"For a group of approximately 1,000 Baltimore Orioles fans sitting in the upper deck in the left field stands, the losing had become quite tiresome, and to show it was no longer acceptable, they assembled to protest owner Peter Angelos's handling of the club while cheering the home team."

...

"Though the protest fell far short of the 10,000 participants the organizers had promised, there was no doubt players and team officials took notice."

Maybe there would have been a better turnout if they'd invited Sox and Yankees fans...

Posted by: Nats Exec | June 22, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

mr. madison

maybe manny's rationale is that there are no hot prospects in columbus to call up to replace some of the underperformers. who would you bring up - o'connor? chico? schroeder? we've already seen those movies. why bring up any of the younger guys and risk shell shock?

Posted by: natsscribe | June 22, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Efforts to organize a sequel to the rally fizzled:

Posted by: Nats Exec | June 22, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

-------

Perhaps so. but still, I kinda sensed some bitterness there.

I'd be looking at Harrisburg rather than Columbus though. AA is where all the real prospects are. AAA is mostly just organizational depth.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

SoCH alert!

jimbow is doing a chat this week on nats.com.

Posted by: natsscribe | June 22, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go ahead and predict that Bowden doesn't answer anything that even RESEMBLES a REAL question.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 22, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Is "Who cut the cheese?" a real question?

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 22, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

There are too many blacks on this team. Racist? No. But you can't win with a lineup that is more than half black. History tells me so.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse