Lineups, neither of which includes Albert Pujols

Adam Kilgore back for one more day. The Nationals, who have scored .037 runs per inning during the last three games, are trying to snap a three-game losing streak. Todd Wellemeyer vs. John Lannan, two sub-30 year-olds with sub-four ERAs. Wellemeyer was just named May's National League pitcher of the month for his 4-0 record coupled with a 2.19 ERA. An irresistible force meets a movable object.

We could be in for another rain-delayed affair tonight. The wind was whipping so hard here at Nationals Park that workers had to drive some maintenance carts on to it to keep from blowing away. It's OK now, but the Nats took batting practice indoors.

Injecting some good news after last night's debacle, the crack Nationals P.R. staff included this gem in today's notes package, with tomorrow's draft in mind: Adrian Alaniz improved to 16-2 for his career with a win for Class A Potomac over Lynchburg yesterday. Alaniz, a 24-year-old who the Nationals drafted out of Texas in the eighth round last season, is 8-0 this season with a 2.43 at Potomac.

Note the following: Manny Acta did not match Lannan with his typical batterymate, Wil Nieves, because he does think the Nationals can afford to be without Jesus Flores's bat at the moment. Felipe Lopez gets a day off. "Struggling," Acta said. Elijah Dukes debuts in the No. 2 hole. Pujols will miss at least a couple days with some tightness in his calf.

Cardinals:

Casto 3B
Flores C
Pena LF
Harris 2B
Lannan P

By Adam Kilgore  |  June 4, 2008; 5:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chat reminder
Next: Who should start? And who will?

Comments

Does this lineup indicate we've officially reached "panic" status?

Posted by: I wonder | June 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Note to the Post:

In just a few days of Kilgore's reporting, I've appreciated his content and writing style much more than Chico's. Something has to give here, either Chico needs to emulate Kilgore/Svrluga quality (at the least) or there needs to be closer quality assurance monitoring from the Post sports editors here.

Posted by: q | June 4, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Why is Casto hitting above Flores?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Day off or benched per 'crappy effort'

Posted by: natrat | June 4, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Must concur with q. Feels less like I'm having cheese graters raked across my temples over the past couple of days. A little bit of causticity is good in measured doses, but...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@q-- Are you kidding me? Don't get me wrong, I like Kilgore and Svrluga, but Chico is great. His prose is SI-worthy, which I expect is where he will end up some day. He's a damn good writer, his reporting has also been pretty great for a new beat writer, and we're awfully lucky to have him.

What exactly do you have problems with?

Posted by: ALC | June 4, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

with dukes improving OBP recently, i like him in the 2-hole for now. let's see how he does there.

Posted by: 231 | June 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

i think this is the right type of lineup. perhaps flores and pena should be higher but the overall point is, let's give the young guys the ABs, endure the inevitable rough spots (like the next 4-6 weeks, for example) and see if we have any more keepers for 2010. that's not panic, that's reality. this is all we got folks, let's accept that and see if we can get behind it.

Posted by: bob l. head | June 4, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I love Chico's writing. I think he is very informative, honest and humorous. I like Barry's too but I am pleased with his replacement.

Posted by: cadeck | June 4, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

The Sporting News and KC Star are reviving a rumor from the spring about Angel Berroa for AA pitcher Zechery Zinicola (2.08 ERA, 2-2, 5 S, 11/5 K/BB).

That this would even be a rumor has to raise questions about Bowden's commitment to or understanding of the PLAN.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 4, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

yeah, because there's a "rumor," that must mean it's true and bowden should be fired for it, right?

*sigh*

i don't like the guy, but i don't buy into the hype you're putting out.

Posted by: 231 | June 4, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

No he should be fired because he's failed for 14 years to build a winner.

Why do you love losing so much? Why is consistent failure such an attractive feature? How long does he need to fail before you decide he's not up to the job?

I don't get it.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 4, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge Chico (writer, not pitcher) fan. I think his style is very effective considering he has never been on a baseball beat before. Color me impressed.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | June 4, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Chico's blog substance will hopefully improve over time. That's the one area where I've noticed a drop-off. With Barry last year, I enjoyed the blog more than anything else, and I felt that he provided more substance and interesting material about the Nats (and other stuff as well, such as the comprehensive dining guide) through NJ than any other source.

But let's remember, aside from Spring Training the first year, Barry didn't even have the blog for the first two seasons. He had already covered the team for a long while when he really got going with the blog. Chico's writing in the paper has been great in my opinion, and I'm personally willing to give him some time to grow into covering the team through the blog. I think he deserves it.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | June 4, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I think he meant .037 runs per game rather than inning

Posted by: aspenbubba | June 4, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely give Chico time. Everyone deserves a chance to learn their way.

Now if after 14 years he's the worst beat writer in the game, then we should fire him. Although 231 and 506 will want to let him fail for another 10 or 20 years before making a move.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 4, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

SoCH, you don't get it? which part don't you get, the part where i say i don't like the guy? i don't know why that would be so confusing.

is it the part where i don't say i don't hate losing? does that make you think i don't hate losing?

or maybe it's where i don't say i find consistent failure attractive.

the only point i was making is that your post pretty much meant nothing. it's just some rumor. just because there's a rumor doesn't mean it has any validity. and just because there's a rumor that bowden will do something that seems stupid doesn't mean that bowden has even considered doing that stupid thing. and using a rumor to bolster your position only makes you look foolish, imonsvho.

as i have said so often i feel like a broken record, since there are plenty of legit things to criticize him over (and many of them you've criticized him for), why would you feel the need to "create" something to criticize him for?

i think you're an intelligent guy, but i also think you resort to some tactics in your criticism that would make karl rove proud. and, at least from my perspective, it detracts from any legitimate points you make.

Posted by: 231 | June 4, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

man, i love that cypher stent ad...

come on, come on, come on...

great tunes!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Dukes hitting in the 2 hole! I like that a lot.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Chico (TWNTP) got it right with .037 runs per inning. That's 1/3 of a run per game, pretty bad. But not as bad as one run every 27 games, which is .037 runs per game.

Posted by: calc | June 4, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I was in Annandale for the earthquake a couple of weeks ago. It let out a mighty explosive sound and felt like the earth was opening. Today, while y'all were chatting, I was watching tornadoes from a powerless office (emergency mood-lighting only) - in Annandale. Question: Is it me, or Annandale? I have never thought of Annandale in terms of Sodom and Gomorrah, but the Wrath of God seems to be circling 'round it - or 'round me. Was it my dumbass suggestion that Manny should have called the game last night before handing over the lineup cards so that we could have a double-header today? Is my love of baseball idolatrous? Is it my guilty pleasure in the Examiner's baseball page, with it's report card on the various players and managers?

Posted by: flynnie | June 4, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

A rumor is just a rumor. I just shared cuz it's fun to BS. If it's at all true, it would be outrageous. But a rumor's just a rumor.

Then, for whatever reason, you feel compelled to jump in and defend Bowden, as you have many times.

Yeah, you say, "I don't like him," but then you say he shouldn't be fired, that it's unfair to say he should, that anyone who says he should be fired has some axe to grind and is just out to get him, etc. I don't get that.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 4, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

SOCH-Were you in Annandale this afternoon? Was Bowden? I saw him on the news tonight in his green environmental hat. Tonight is a great night to think about the envrionment, isn't it? The Phillies lost their game wearing the green hats, and the play by play guy - not Harry Kallas, said - "The environment didn't do much for us tonight -go out and buy an SUV everybody!"

Posted by: flynnie | June 4, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Glad that you weathered the storm, flynnie, and no, I don't think it's you. ;)

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 4, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse