Notes before the series rubber match

Reading material available here and here and here. (That would be, in order, game story, Zimmerman story and notebook about Dukes, for those scoring at home.)

Also, I noticed a great passage in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning, where the gamer from yesterday's 3-1 Pirates win focused on a slight bit of redemption for closer Matt Capps. The excerpt, from Dejan Kovacevic.

---

Baseball people often pontificate that the best way to know if someone is cut out to be a closer is to watch how he reacts to a blown save. And not just after it happens, but the next day, too.

Capps' first step of recovery after giving up Lastings Milledge's two-run blast Tuesday was pure Pittsburgh.

"Stopped at the bar after the game and had three beers instead of two," he said, grinning. "Other than that, once I got home, that was it."

Well, not quite. His phone rang about 10 a.m. yesterday. It was his father, calling from Georgia.

"My dad wanted to tell me they took a poll at our house to see who still loved me and who still liked me. I got one vote for the love, and that was from my dog."

---

Some other pre-game notes.

* Manny Acta said today that there's a good chance Paul Lo Duca will rejoin the team some time during the next series. If that happens, Lo Duca -- along with Aaron Boone and Dmitri Young -- will get some at bats at DH. And what about the catching situation, Acta was asked.

"Yeah, in which case I'll answer that question that day," Acta said. "I think it's pretty obvious what's going on. I think even Paul has talked to you guys, but we'll answer that question that day. Don't rush into that story yet."

* Acta had an interesting quote about today's starter, Jason Bergmann. "Obviously because when he's on, he's very good," Acta said. "And I'll be lying - I don't think anybody can think he'll be as good as he was for those four games. Very few guys can dominate the way he has. We just want to find that happy medium type of guy, where the day he's not going to dominate, he's not going to blow up in our faces."

* Matt Chico will have six weeks of rest and rehab for his injured left elbow. No surgery, as of now, is planned. By mid-July, Chico will start throwing again.

* By the way. "What happens in Pittsburgh stays in Pittsburgh" has my vote, for now, as the quote of the season.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 12, 2008; 12:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's lineups
Next: We're all day-to-day (or DL-bound)

Comments

Well that is only because you haven't told us what you were really doing during those revealing moments after the Milldege HR.
__________________________
By Chico Harlan | June 12, 2008; 12:11 PM ET

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope Bergmann doesn't have another Big Brown trip today...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Alright, Jay B (the pitcher, not the poster), get your head right! You can do it, we believe in you!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"THAT is really our line-up?"

Worst in baseball history, according to some people who would probably know.

Still, I've got a smile on my face. There's nothing like a game on the radio to brighten up my afternoon.

Posted by: girl at work | June 12, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

[quote]By the way. "What happens in Pittsburgh stays in Pittsburgh" has my vote, for now, as the quote of the season.[/quote]

Not even close to last year's "We pray for his buttocks and his family" or even this year's "All of a sudden, he felt instant release. She found the spot." and "And people fart on the airplane and it's horrible, and I had to call time-out on one because the stench was so bad that I just couldn't take it. The stewardess was spraying Lysol up and down and it was embarrassing. I said, 'Look, go to the bathroom. There's no need for this! ... Have more respect for the person next to you! Stop farting!' "

IMHO anyway. Chico, you're relatively new here, but by now I'd think you'd have realized that as long as Jim Bowden is associated with this team, your quote of the year is never going to come from Manny Acta.

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | June 12, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Boy, Doumit is really going to be bummed when the Nats leave town after this game.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Doumit is officially on the Nats Killers squad.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that we should just trade for Doumit even if we don't want need anymore catchers. It reminds of Butch Cassidy's famous line:

"If he would just pay me to stop robbing him, then I'd stop robbing him."

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Who was trashing Aaron Boone earlier?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ohplease | June 12, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

So will it be Clippard, Mock or Ballester who gets Jason's next start?

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

None of the above, try someone else.

Posted by: MattB. | June 12, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

lowcounty -

Hopefully it's Balester. I think Clippard is starting Saturday - in favor of Perez going to the DL - so let Bally take Bergmann's spot.

Posted by: ouch | June 12, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

What? No runners on base? I can only drive in myself with my inevitable HR? This stinks!

Posted by: Doumit | June 12, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Boy, Dukes is swinging the bat right now. It's sad to see Bergmann struggle - he seems to be a victim of rising expectations. Maybe he is the long reliever we have been looking for.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

They didn't score for an inning!

Posted by: woo hoo! | June 12, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Aaron Bleepin' Boone as No. 4 in the order: worst No. 4 hitter in baseball or worst No. 4 hitter ever? Discuss.

Posted by: Deep Fried Screech | June 12, 2008 12:04 PM

*************************************

Sorry, but I have to go with Kevin Millar as the worst clean-up hitter in baseball this year.

Yet, somehow, despite Millar and his whopping .250 average for a clean-up hitter the O's are a .500 team.

Awesome!

Posted by: O's Exec | June 12, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I gotta tell you, O's Exec, the O's season so far has been charmed. I would rate them as one of the biggest surprises of the first half of baseball, hope, for your sake, they don't end up as the 2005 Nats.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I dearly hope F.Lop is benched or gone by the All Star break for some major addition by subtraction. The guy is just killing us in every phase of the game. Has absolutely no baseball aptitude. His 8th inning AB last night was classic: one out, two runs down, two previous batters walked (the second on four pitches)anf FLoppy goes up hacking at the first pitch (up and out of the zone). Result: shallow fly ball, no runner advance, pitcher off the hook. This was not an isolated incident, I've seen him similarly rescue a struggling pitcher on other occasions. Even Knight and Carpenter ripped him. Manny needs to put Belly at second to stay and let Kasto take third. Bring up a youngster that either knows how to play the game or is willing to learn. Not going the play the blame Jimbo card -- who would of thought the guy would turn into such a laydown artist? Manny has bent over backwards many times to help get F.Lop out of his rut and gets nothing in return.

Posted by: NatMan | June 12, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

So, anyone coming up to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the series next week?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"So, anyone coming up to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the series next week?"

The Nat's bats may or may not be there. Still TBD.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 12, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Lopez has a hit today, NatMan. So far, the choke of the day has been Milledge's pop up.

There was a little bit of talk about Felipe and that 8th inning at bat two posts ago if you want to know what the NJ community says.

Posted by: i hate the sprinklers union commercial | June 12, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Sounds to me like you might be close to 11,000 now with all the rain and flooding.
___________________________
So, anyone coming up to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the series next week?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 12, 2008 1:44 PM

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------
So, anyone coming up to the Land of 10,000 Lakes for the series next week?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 12, 2008 1:44 PM

Posted by: Corey | June 12, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 1:39 PM

******************************************

Or the 2005 Baltimore Orioles who at one point in the season were 42-28.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 12, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

if only they awarded half-runs each time we made it to third...

Posted by: jf | June 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"I think they are calling up Levale Speigner just for the one outing at the Hefty Dome.....he owns that place."

If nothing else, Levale Speigner has played an indispensable role in my life because I won't name my kids without typing my ideas into an anagram generator... just in case.

Posted by: broadway | June 12, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

DFS,

During the '72 season, when the Tigers were in the middle of a terrible offensive stretch, frustrated manager Billy Martin once resorted to drawing the lineup out of a hat. All field-no hit shortstop, a .224 career hitter, ended up batting in the cleanup spot that day. And little Eddie, on his best day, was no Aaron Boone

Manny certainly isn't there yet, and it really isn't his style. On the other hand, Detroit did win that particular ball game.

Posted by: blueson | June 12, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

LOL! This is great. We'd easily be in contention.

******************
if only they awarded half-runs each time we made it to third...

Posted by: jf | June 12, 2008 1:56 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | June 12, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Nergmann is displaying that "get me outta here" body language.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

F.Loppy needs more than a measly bases empty single to atone for a season of crappy play and self pity. Don't put Milledge in the same boat with F.Lop, he is a kid working hard to learn the game and showing progress. F.Lop is a veteran and former All Star who is mailing it in for reasons known only to him.

Posted by: NatMan | June 12, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

...or should I say Bergmann? lol!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

LOL! This is great. We'd easily be in contention.

-----

I'm not so sure about that NatsNut. Dukes would be our leading run scorer.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how someone, who is supposed to be a Nats fan, can come in here and defend F.LOP and compare him to L.Milledge. Natman I'm with you. Lopez definitely looks like he's mailing it in. Or he just wants to hell out of DC asap.

Posted by: Pablo | June 12, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

THE NATS ARE TERRIBLE!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say Milledge was as bad as Lopez. I'm tired of watching Lopez, and I think Milledge has a solid career ahead of him.

Just saying, Lopez is not singlehandedly responsible for this team's woes. They all kinda suck... (notable exceptions: Flores and Guzman) And I was trying to point you to that discussion, since we're sort of over the topic.

And can you try not calling him "FLop"? It offends a lot of people around here. That's back with the discussion I mentioned, too. Thanks.

Posted by: i hate the sprinklers union commercial | June 12, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

quick addition:

They all suck, but some of them ARE getting better. And fast! I love Dukes and Millz. Just throwing that out there.

Posted by: i hate the sprinklers union commercial | June 12, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

our team chemistry walked out the door with brian schneider.

Posted by: g | June 12, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

An opposing pitcher went over one hundred pitches in the sixth inning? What is going on here?

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Is a Guzzie slam too much to hope for?

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Not a slam, but I'll take it.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"So far, the choke of the day has been Milledge's pop up."

===

Are you kidding? Elijah Dukes should've scored on that play!

And I agree Felipe Lopez should be gone.

Posted by: no way jose | June 12, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

yes. 2 rbi single, however? i'll take it.

Posted by: :) | June 12, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

THE NATS ARE TERRIBLE!!!

Posted by: | June 12, 2008 2:08 PM
----

They just need some tough love.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Guzzie is having a fantastic year that is being cloaked by the poor play of the team.

As I write, Dukes get thrown out second. Second time this week?

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

not having access to radio or tv, how close/stupid was the play at second?

Posted by: e | June 12, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

ugh, Dukes I defend you at every avenue, and you betray me on the basebaths again! Oh well...

Posted by: Jason | June 12, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I second e's question, and in particular, how is it that Dmitri got from second to home before Dukes got from home to second? That seems like quite an accomplishment for Meat even with a lead!

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the radio but it sounded bad! Nice point about Da Meat's wheels. I wonder if Lopez would've scored?

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

e/Bob L.

It was neither pretty nor close.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding? Elijah Dukes should've scored on that play!

And I agree Felipe Lopez should be gone.

=======================

I'm listening on the radio/gameday, so all I know is that Lastings didn't get the runner in from third with one out. I'm not condemning him indefinitely, but that IS the choke of the day so far. Well, it was until Dukes got thrown out at second.

I'll say it one more time: I don't think Lopez = Milledge. I just said that TODAY Felipe has a hit and TODAY Lastings has a LOB. Call me the devil's advocate, if you want.

Posted by: i hate the sprinklers union commercial | June 12, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Who said Lopez is solely to blame for the team woes? But the man is a veteran and former All Star who should be looked upon for leadership on a young and struggling team. That means playing hard, playing smart and running out ground balls -- if nothing else lead by example. He should be held to a higher standard than a youngster or a fill-in.

Posted by: NatMan | June 12, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that at this point I would vote for Bergmann having the "choke of the day."

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

With the way some of our guys dog it, I'll never knock the hustle plays Milledge and Dukes get thrown out on. Over time they will learn how to read the play better, but it's nice to see someone bust their tail once in a while.

Posted by: Stuck in Cube City | June 12, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lowcountry | June 12, 2008 2:34 PM

==================

touche.

Posted by: i hate the sprinklers union commercial | June 12, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I hate intentional walks. Especially when you're walking the .250-hitting pinch hitter to get to the .300-hitting leadoff guy. If we walk Sanchez I'm going to throw up.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Sa-uuul. Whaddya know, we got some runs and didn't give them right back in the same inning. That qualifies as an accomplishment. As would winning this kind of game, i.e., one in which we haven't exactly had our best stuff so far.

Also, Gameday says AB went out with a neck injury, so we have that going for us now too.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"But the man is a veteran and former All Star who should be looked upon for leadership on a young and struggling team. That means playing hard, playing smart and running out ground balls -- if nothing else lead by example."

I won't disagree that he ought to play well and be held accountable for his performance (or lack thereof). However, some people aren't cut out for the role of clubhouse leader, former All Star or not. Lopez performs better when the people around him are doing well enough to carry the team. He'd be a better teammate if he could pull the Nats out of slumps, but the only thing he really HAS to do (and the only thing I think we're justified in ripping him for not doing) is to play well himself.

Posted by: ihtsuc | June 12, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Back or front of the neck? Cuz the throat is in the neck, too.
Might qualify as a choke.

**********

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 2:40 PM

Posted by: Section 3 of my couch | June 12, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Wait, is the Pirates pitcher really named Uxoria ?

Posted by: Screech is henpecked | June 12, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Osoria

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Was hoping Pena would implant one into the left field seats. Let's hope ED scores.

Posted by: commercials we don't want | June 12, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

A Weak Mediocre Popup.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"Let's hope ED scores."

that could be taken the wrong way?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Aha! If we walk Doumit, he can't homer on us.

Posted by: the solution | June 12, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"Let's hope ED scores."

that could be taken the wrong way?

Posted by: | June 12, 2008 2:47 PM

----

ditto for your comment, anon.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Anagrams for Franquelis Osoria:

Arisen Oafs Liquor
Square Raisin Fool
Friar Quasi Loosen

and of course:

Aloof Ass Inquirer

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

You all should start rooting for the O's. Right now they're a much better team than the Nats, they play hard every night, and they don't have players getting into fights with the manager or resorting to such juvenile tactics as not "high-fiving" the manager because the player didn't like what the manager had to say to him.

Go O's.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 12, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Aloof Ass Inquirer"

if he ever joins the Nats, GRiP is going to have to change his handle

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Wrong. The manager last year expressly designated FLop (sorry all, but it fits) as one of 4 team leaders. So he does bear that responsibility. Has he ever lived up to it? No, he hasn't. In fact, he is not even a neutral with respect to these things--his attitude has been a net minus for the team for the past 2 seasons.
* * * * *

Posted by: ihtsuc | June 12, 2008 2:40 PM

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | June 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"Lopez performs better when the people around him are doing well enough to carry the team."

That's a hellava standard - I can't do well unless everyone around me plays well?
Try telling that to your boss and see how far it gets you. How about trying to ELEVATE and ENCOURAGE your teammates. Don't have to be a rah-rah clubhouse cheerleader. Playing hard and smart during adversity is leadership by example.

Posted by: NatMan | June 12, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"being designated" and actually "being" team leaders are two entirely different things.

that said, the absolute minimum in leadership from any veteran is playing hard and playing the game the right way (i.e., leadership by example). and that doesn't even count for the whole "do your best" mantra, in general.

i understand that he doesn't play as well when his teammates around him aren't playing well, but that's not an excuse, that's just one of the reason's he's just a below average player overall (despite the underutilized talent). mentally he's just not as strong as a lot of players who get more out of their talent than he does. that combination makes him a below average player, in general. and at best, a complimentary player on a very good offensive team.

Posted by: 231 | June 12, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Another futile rally.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Ok, CiL. I designate you the person responsible for ending all dissension on NJ. Good luck.

(Just because the manager WANTS him to be a leader doesn't make him leader material. If it's not in his contract, it's not his job. It makes him worth more if he can, but it's possible he just doesn't have it in him.)

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Lastings 0-4, 4 LOB. No celebrations today.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If the manager asks you to do it, it is your job to do it. Though as 231 rightly points out, being asked to do it doesn't mean he can actually do it. But that's just another reason why he is below average as a player, and not an excuse that he can fall back on.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | June 12, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Methinks this argument over FLope is lacking.

Rauch in the 8th anyone?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I am 'watching' the game online. Can someone explain to me why Manny waits until the 6th pitch of the 3rd batter after Dmitri is on base to replace him with Pinch Runner - Willie Harris?!?!?!?

This sounds like the crazy S*** that Frank R used to do that drove everyone crazy. WTF

Posted by: Huh? | June 12, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

So Manny brings on Rauch to pitch the 8th and he promptly gives up an insurance run. Can't we get a break here?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering that too, Huh. But then I thought maybe gameday just didn't post the switch until the middle of the at-bat.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

No, he put him in on the sixth pitch. Harris had been in the on deck circle, so the idea was to trick them into thinking he would have hit next.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

...and so it goes.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 12, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

say what you want about whether so and so choked or not in his at-bat, but if you're going to walk the pitcher with the bases loaded for the second time in as many starts, you'll be on my s*** list for quite awhile.

Bergy -- what's happening, man? You came back to us and showed us such promise. But now? Man, I just don't know anymore ...

Posted by: e | June 12, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I hate afternoon losses. You can't even drink during them.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

This is world's better to follow than it used to be. The Nats posted runs in THREE (3) different innings!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

And we're officially on pace for 100 losses. At least today's wasn't a spectacular loss, more like a run-of-the-mill loss. Aside from ED suffering from baserunning dysfunction.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

ohhhh Bob, you did that on purpose.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Bergie walking the pitcher to force in a run isn't spectacularly ugly?

Posted by: BofG | June 12, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

No, but giving up a HR to a pitcher might be.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 12, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Bergie walking the pitcher to force in a run isn't spectacularly ugly?

Posted by: BofG | June 12, 2008 4:01 PM

-----

No, because without that walk and without Belliard's error, it's a tie game.

Spectacularly ugly is walking the pitcher to walk in a run, then bringing in a reliever who throws a first pitch grand slam. Meanwhile your offense has one hit.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Actually, BofG, that's kind of run of the mill for us. Bergy was just compensating for Colome, who recently found the strike zone.

Posted by: sigh... | June 12, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking along the same lines as you about the number of runs scored by the Nats, 506.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

And we're officially on pace for 100 losses.

Posted by: At least we're not the '62 Mets... | June 12, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

terminal: utterly beyond hope, rescue, or saving

last place, please. this is the worst lineup ever. seriously. is this even baseball?

Posted by: longterminal | June 12, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

What's the worst Washington team ever? 1909? 42 wins, 110 losses. I'm going to check on this, but I think 42 wins is the worst. I say we can top that this year.

Posted by: 6th and D | June 12, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Nope, I was wrong. The 1904 Nats were 38 and 113. That had to be a long season.

Posted by: 6th and D | June 12, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

ain't working

Posted by: browser | June 12, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"Nope, I was wrong. The 1904 Nats were 38 and 113. That had to be a long season."

If their win percentage were a batting average, it wouldn't start on most teams...

Posted by: .251 | June 12, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

But it would start on ours!!!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Look on the bright side. Manny can't get upset about a premature victory celebration or any other celebration of success today.

Posted by: PTBNL | June 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Walking the pitcher to force in a run is run-of-the-mill ugly but not spectacularly ugly. I was "watching" via gameday and I didn't see anything that rose to the level of "spectacular" losing baseball -- that has to be something almost impossible or unfathomable, something that makes you say "I can't believe what I just saw" for all the wrong reasons.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

on ours it could hit cleanup!

Posted by: boone is .254 | June 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I should add that spectacular losses often result from a series of things that, taken together, are ridiculous, as well as from single plays that are ridiculous.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 12, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Loss: Giving up a two-run homer when you're down by a couple already

Spectacular Loss: Giving up a two-run homer to a relief pitcher in his first major league at bat when you're down be a couple already

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse