Odds, ends, canned goods
Lots of little things today. This feels like housekeeping.
I'll move in order of descending importance. (Arguable.)
* Looks like Garrett Mock will be the fill-in starter Saturday. "Well, this is going to be his second time around," Manager Manny Acta said. "He'll come over here, and he won't have that nervousness of the first start. Hopefully he feels more at home and can give us a solid outing." Mock, as you probably remember, made his debut for the Nats on June 8 against San Fran. Definitely a mixed bag. He looked decent for four innings and struggled in the fifth, managing just one out. (And, um, three walks. And a single. And a balk.)
He'll be better this time, the team feels.
Washington's reasoning for picking Mock?
He's already on the 40-man roster. And he's already slated to pitch Saturday.
No news yet on who will be sent down. Mock's promotion won't be official until Saturday.
* Odalis Perez threw again today in the pen. Just breaking balls. He'll likely make a simulated start or a rehab start before you see him again in a Washington uni.
* Chris Marrero, Washington's 2006 first-round pick, sprained his right ankle today in a game today with Class A Potomac while running home on a play. Marrero said he'll likely sit out until June 26, the first game back after his league's all-star break. "It's just a little sprain," Marrero said. I realized after the fact that I forgot to ask Marrero if he scored on the play. But I think he did.
* Class A Hagerstown OF Michael Burgess won his league's All-Star Game home run derby Tuesday night, hitting 16 HRs over three rounds. Teammate Bill Rhinehart, a 1B, was named the game's MVP. Burgess, who was selected 49th overall in the 2007 draft, leads the Washington organization with 14 HRs this season.
* As you perhaps heard, the jersey giveaway for kids planned for Sunday's game has been canceled. Instead, the first 10,000 children 12 and younger will receive a voucher for two tickets to any upcoming home game this season. Also note the Thanksgiving in June food drive promo. (Message from team: Bring those canned goods.)
The comments to this entry are closed.