Sneak Peak: Who Takes the Most?

Hopefully by now, all faithful NJ readers know that washingtonpost.com has a sleek new format for Dave Sheinin's weekly MLB Sunday package. It's a great collection -- Dave's centerpiece story, the related giant, info-packed graphic, 3 Up/3 Down, The List, When It Clicked (with audio of Dave's interview with a major leaguer) ... it goes on and on.

The reason I bring this up? I thought I'd give you a sneak peak at the big ol' graphic now -- The Art of Taking Pitches. Best so far this year? Nick Swisher of the ChiSox, who sees an average of 4.52 pitches per plate appearances.

Anyway, check it out, and look for the whole package later this weekend ...

By Jon DeNunzio  |  June 20, 2008; 5:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: About the story
Next: Lineups sans Boone

Comments

Aargh! Got newposted. From previous thread...

Great post, Wigi. I was at the last Senators game on 30 Sept 1971 and it ws pandemonium. All throughout the game it was as if some great force was being restrained until it no longer could be. I didn't dash onto the field or vandalized anything. I just walked through the stadium in a melancholy mood before leaving and walking home. I always though MLB would never put another team here in my lifetime, but was pleasantly surprised when the Nats came to town to coincide with n\my 50th birthday. In the 34 years that Washington didn't have a team. I turned to the National League ater having two AL teams leave the city in my lifetime and became an SF Giants fan. II'm going tonight and I'm booing the stRangers, who've returned to DC after a 37-year road trip.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 20, 2008 5:34 PM

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 20, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Cool idea, Jon! I like feeling special. The graphic is broken for me, does it work for anyone else?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 20, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Jon! The gnu ate my post!

Shirley e- last time i got this many solicitations was walking down 3rd and e! Business must be slow on other blogs. Does no one in contention need a catcher w/a lifetime obp.337 slg.412 avg.286. The guy is well, he seems to have lost the arrogance, he's trying very hard to be a good teammate, and he is due! I even remember him throwing someone out at 2d. It's not like your ol' granny is behind the plate. Come on, MLB! Do we have to send a DVD of Lo Duca singing "Where is Love" from Oliver Twist?

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 5:38 PM

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I also cannot see it, even when I right click and select "Show Picture."

I do like Nick Swisher, man. But I will say that Casto is starting to prove himself to be one mean pitch-taker. I don't think he had a hit in either game he appeared this series, but he had very good at bats.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 20, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

No, the link is bad. Maybe it's not up yet?

Posted by: CE | June 20, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@Dave of Bottomfeeder Baseball--I'm just explaining why the community of bloggers is dropping like flies, why the stadium is empty, etc. I don't have to tell you that the current Nationals are bottomfeeders.

I'm not endorsing the idea that people shouldn't go to the games or blog or root for the Nationals.

In fact, I'm hoping my new blog, firejimbowden.blogspot.com, will pick up some of the audience!

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 20, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Can't get the graphic, but I'm at work, and our security is adamant. I think we need to show lots of respect to an Expos fan since 1970. mjames - were you one of the fans featured in the PBS show about the Expos last season? There was a wonderful woman who kept score and really counted on the small community of fans who attended every home game. It made me love Montreal and the fans there, and it broke my heart.

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Deserving of a re-post:

I have question. Why does this team get a free pass from the Washington press as well as the MLB.com team? The Expos, and I have followed them since the early 70's, were never this bad, except maybe their first year. We have Acta blaming the club's performance on youth and injuries. Hey this is an old team. Secondly the guys who are injured had tanked already. Where is the passion from the Washington fans. Maybe there are no fans? Maybe it is just too brutal to watch. Why do you accept this garbage?

Posted by: mjames | June 20, 2008 5:34 PM

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

The Rangers are staying at the Mayflower Hotel.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 20, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

jon:

Thanks for the heads up but what about the team? I am not interested in graphics to be honest. I want to know what management has to say about the state of this team. Why the silence? Everyone is ignoring the dead person in the corner. This is team is dead. I can tell by the tone of posters that apathy is seeping into the fan base. Three years of crap is enough.

Posted by: mjames | June 20, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

flynnie, the answer is that the Expos were this bad over small periods of time, mjames' memory is playing tricks. There's still most of the year left, with time to even out into solidly mediocre and only a small chance of historically bad.

Further, the guys who had injured had not all tanked. Zimm was doing pretty darn well at last, and Johnson and Kearns could have rebounded easily. A slump at the beginning of the season is a lot harder to hide than a slump in the middle of the season.

Not that everything's swell, there are a lot of good questions that need to be asked, particularly of poor Lenny Harris. But to say fans have no passion when the opposite is exhibited here every day or to say this is the worst team ever is just to give in to hyperbole.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 20, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'm very offended I didn't get picked for Steinberg's team. Grid knows I post as much as anyone here.

Posted by: maybe I should stick with one name? | June 20, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Grant Ballfour pitch to Swisher. Sorta like an immovable object and an irresistible force meeting ...

********
I do like Nick Swisher, man.
Posted by: John in Mpls | June 20, 2008 5:44 PM

Posted by: Section 3 of my couch | June 20, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

My favorite ad on this site was the twinkling city lights - you got to look at them and reflect and feel wonder - and then the Air Force blacked them all out. Now there's a smaller gem: "Drop 9 lbs of Stomach Fat every 11 Days by Sticking with the 10 Rules." Geez, that's 298.63 pounds a year? I haven't weighed 2.37 pounds since I was a fetus! Where do I sign up? What could the rules be? I bet they involve not eating!

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't working for me either, maybe it was my ad blocker?

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 20, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

OK I took a quick glance at this headline and I thought it said "Sneak Peak: Who gets it the most" and I thought it was a really dirty joke.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 20, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Me, too. harrumph. [stomps out of virtual room]

---------------

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 20, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

If flynnie drops 9 lbs. in 11 days using 10 rules, how many rules would RKGF need to drop 50 lbs. in time for spring training?
Be sure to show your work.

*************

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 6:16 PM

Posted by: This is only a test. | June 20, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

maybe i should stick to one name - I'll sell you my audience with Steinberg for a frozen custard at the Dairy Bar on Route 50 in Falls Church. I bet that breaks one of the 10 rules of how to get down to your fetal weight, though.

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"NJ: If you don't get the creeps in here, you don't get the creeps in here."

**********

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 20, 2008 6:19 PM

Posted by: Our Motto since 2005 | June 20, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you, 506.

flynnie, you are a riot today!

John, thanks for the Nieves story a few posts back.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 20, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

OK, meet me at midnight in the Washington Post parking garage, and be alone.

********

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 6:20 PM

Posted by: No, wait, that wasn't Steinberg, it was the other guy | June 20, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, by all 25 of us.

********
But to say fans have no passion when the opposite is exhibited here every day ... is just to give in to hyperbole.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 20, 2008 6:10 PM

Posted by: To be fair, B'more isn't a baseball town either. | June 20, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

1A- you can have my audience with Sternberg! Just in gratitude for keeping this place civilized!

506- mjames thinks it's time to unfurl a banner at NatsPark - Lerners are Liars! a la the Philly fans mentioned by Les Carpenter in his last article with the Seattle Times. He's wondering why NJ is not like the bile-soaked shores of Philly or Shea.

Posted by: flynnie | June 20, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

That's sweet flynnie, but I think that he really needs to meet you!

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 20, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Serious question for the LaC folks: If the Lerners have an obligation to put out a winner, and are defaulting on it, what does that say about Abe Pollin, who did build his own facility, and is apparently a genuine icon of civic commitment, but whose teams are never much good? If winning is what counts, what about him?

Posted by: CE | June 20, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll ask the people at the website who are smarter than me (they are legion) why some of you are not getting the graphic. It works for me in Firefox and IE, but obviously, others are not having the same luck ...

Thanks for the feedback!

Jon

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | June 20, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

On the theory that it may be useful for them to know, I am using Firefox.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 20, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

One of our graphics experts is quite surprised that this would not show up on any browsers. Those of you who can't see it -- I woukld love it if you would shoot me an email at jon-dot-denunzio-at-wpni-dot-com and let me know if you were using a computer with any blocking software, what browser you use, etc. Thanks.

Jon

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | June 20, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I would suspect that it is more a function of blog software than of reader software, as I am able to view the full graphic via the Nats area of the sports section on the Post site.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 22, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse