The minor league report, and a quick game report

Just for good measure, I'll paste the weekly minor league report below. (And please note, this is a report on the real minor leaguers, not the 40-man roster's continued impersonation of them.)

In the meantime, the rundown of today's game includes...

* Another rough start by Shawn Hill: 3-2/3 innings, 10 hits, 7 R (6 earned) and 91 pitches. Second lousy outing in a row. And this is even with his side sessions. Concerned, folks?

* An eighth-inning homer by Dmitri Young, which came too late to be of consequence.

* Two hits each from Joe Mauer, Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel.

* A fielding error by Wily Mo Pena.

---

TOP BILL-ING : INF Bill Rhinehart was named the Star of Stars as he led the Northern Division All-Stars to a dominating 13-4 win over the Southern Divisio n in the 2008 Single-A South Atlantic League All-Star Game at NewBridge Bank Park in Greensboro, NC on Tuesday...Rhinehart, who started the game at first base, went 3-for-3 with a pair of singles, a home run and 3 RBI to earn the honor...he clubbed a 2-run homer in his first at-bat, and followed it up with a go-ahead RBI single in his next at-bat...in his third and final at-bat, the 23-year old laced a single to centerfield...Rhinehart, selected in the 11th round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, also earned All-Star honors last season with Vermont of the Short-season Single-A New York-Penn League.
BURGESS KING : OF Michael Burgess blasted a total of 16 home runs out of NewBridge Bank Park over three rounds to win the Home Run Derby at the SAL All-Star Game... after hitting 5 homers in the opening round, the left-handed hitting slugger clubbed 9 home runs in the second round to secure a spot in the finals...Burgess narrowly edged Charleston River Dogs' catcher Jesus Montero, 2-1, in the final round to take home the crown...however, the 19-year old Burgess outhomered Montero 16-11 in the competition...Burgess, the 49th overall selection in the 2007 Draft, leads Washington farmhands and ranks 2nd in the SAL with 14 home runs through the season's first half.

Triple-A Columbus Clippers
International League West Division
40-31, 3rd Place , 1.0 Game Back

SHELL SHOCKED: After a brief stint as a starter, RHP Steven Shell has fired 11.1 consecutive scoreless innings in 7 appearances since returning to the bullpen May 30...he has 11 strikeouts and only 2 walks in that span...Shell, 25, has excelled as a reliever, going 2-1 with a 1.83 ERA (7 ER/34.1 IP) and a 4.5 SO/BB ratio (36 K's and 8 walks) in 17 appearances out of the 'pen...in 4 starting assignments, he is 1-1 with a 4.09 ERA (10 ER/22.0 IP)...overall, Shell, who signed with Washington as a minor-league free agent in the off-season, is 3-2 with a 2.72 ERA in 21 games (4 starts).

MARCO? POLO!: RHP Marco Estrada allowed 3 runs, struck out 7 and did not walk a batter in 6.0 innings to earn the win in his Triple-A debut on Tuesday at Indianapolis (Pirates)...Estrada, 24, was promoted to Columbus June 16, after going 6-3 with a 2.66 ERA (22 ER/74.1 IP) in 13 starts with Harrisburg...overall, he is a combined 7-3 with a 2.80 ERA in 14 starts with Columbus and Harrisburg.

Double-A Harrisburg Senators
Eastern League Southern Division
38-31, 3rd Place , 3.5 Games Back

A 2 IN DOUBLE-A: RHP Adrian Alaniz tossed 6.0 shutout innings and allowed only 3 hits, but received a no-decision in his Double-A debut Saturday at Bowie (Orioles)...he is a combined 9-0 with a 2.40 ERA in 13 games with Harrisburg and Potomac...the 23-year-old was promoted to Harrisburg June 13, after going 9-0 with a 2.62 ERA (19 ER/65.1 IP) in 12 starts with the P-Nats...Alaniz, an 8th-round pick from the 2007 Draft, was selected to the Single-A Carolina League All-Star squad, b ut will not participate because of his recent promotion...the University of Texas product is scheduled to make his next start for the Senators tonight vs. Trenton (Yankees).

HE'S SMOOTHER THAN JACK DANIELS: OF Mike Daniel , 23, is batting at a .341 clip (28-for-82) with 4 home runs and 13 RBI over his last 21 games...Daniel, a 7th-round selection from the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, is 18-for-50 (.345) with 2 doubles, a triple, 3 home runs and 12 RBI in 15 June contests...in his first season at the Double-A level, he is hitting .320 with 7 home runs, 31 RBI and 12 stolen bases in 64 games.

LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER: C Luke Montz ranks 2nd in the Eastern League with 49 RBI and a .571 slugging percentage, and is tied for 2nd in the league with 13 home runs... Montz, selected in the 17th round of the 2003 First-Year Player Draft, paces EL catchers in extra-base hits (11 doubles, 13 homers), home runs and RBI...the 24-year-old is hitting .358 (24-for-67) with 9 home runs and 42 RBI with RISP.

Single-A Potomac Nationals
Carolina League Northern Division
First Half: 42-28, First Place , 7.0 Games Ahead
Second Half: 2-0, First Place , 1.0 Game Ahead

HOTS FOR BATS: OF Edgardo Baez leads the Carolina League with 50 RBI and ranks among league leaders in doubles (t-3rd, 21), total bases (4th, 121), slugging percentage (6th, .519) and home runs (7th, 11)...the 22-year-old is batting .365 (30-for-82) with 9 doubles, 6 homers and 24 RBI in his last 22 contests...Baez will represent the Potomac Nationals and the Carolina League in the Single-A California/Carolina League All-Star Game being played June 24 at BB&T Coastal Field, home of the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Braves).
DON'T DISS CHRIS: OF Chris Marrero has hit safely in 12 of his last 14 games, going 18-for-51 (.352) with 11 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 home runs and 11 RBI...overall, Washington's 2006 first round pick (15th overall), is hitting .250 with 15 doubles, 11 homers and 38 RBI in 70 games...Marrero, 19, entered the season as the top prospect in the Washington chain according to Baseball America .
WILKIE OR WON'T HE?: Beginning May 1, RHP Josh Wilkie has allowed only one earned run over his last 27.1 innings pitched (0.32 ERA) ...he has struck out 27 and walked 6 (4.5 SO/BB ratio) in those 18 appearances...Wilkie extended his consecutive scoreless innings to 14.0, after tossing 2.0 shut out frames yesterday at Winston Salem (White Sox)...overall, the 23-year-old, who signed as non-drafted free agent with Washington in 2006, owns a 1.00 ERA in 25 games.

Single-A Hagerstown Suns
South Atlantic League Northern Division
First Half: 34-35, 5th Place , 6.5 Games Back
Second Half: Games begin today

ROONEY TUNES: C Sean Rooney also participated in the SAL All-Star game, entering the game as a defensive replacement in the fourth inning...in his lone at-bat, the 21-year old switch hitter singled to right field...he has hit safely in 8 of 9 games in June, batting .394 (13-for-33) with 2 doubles, 2 triples and 8 RBI...Rooney, an 8th-round selection from the 2006 First-Year Player draft, is hitting .333 with 12 RBI in 34 games at the season's halfway point.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 19, 2008; 3:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Yesterday's news, today's lineups
Next: A 4-5 road trip, or: Life at 16 games under .500

Comments

Do you think Manny is still "content" with the Nats' record?

Posted by: ohplease | June 19, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Reason number 483 why MASN stinks: After the game there was a MASN radio ad that said, "Come to the ballpark and watch the Nationals battle John Hamilton and the Rangers." Um, I'm pretty sure that's "Josh" Hamilton. At least they didn't call him Alexander Hamilton. Idiots.

Posted by: Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

AAWON BURW!!!!

Posted by: Got Milk? | June 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing is Burgess leads ALL players in the Nationals organization in homers. Yikes. At least the future is bright.

Posted by: Patty | June 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

OK friends, the moment you've all been waiting for. The pitchfork brigade has a new home...

Inspired by the recent success of www.FireBillBavasi.com, I've launched a new site dedicated to the proposition that Washington deserves a winning baseball team and that for that to happen, JimBo must go:

FireJimBowden.blogspot.com.

You can do fun things like vote on who our next GM should be, sign the Fire Jim Bowden petition, chat about how great it'll be when we have a new GM and can start winning, and more!

Come say hello! Everyone's welcome (but no name-calling, please).

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

How many times will we have to read this announcement?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"Kasten's vision, which matches the Lerners' preference for slow, solid foundation building, is to suffer now, then win 950 games in a glorious decade. But is that what Washington wants?"

Yes, Tom. That's exactly what I want. I'll take a thousand gorgeous summer nights in Southeast with anyone on the field. I would be happy with a thousand nights of BP and shadow ball if that's all they had to offer me. I love the game, and I love the city, and I'm willing to wait for brilliance. I'm young. If they're not the guys for the job, I'm willing to wait past Kasten and JimBow and Ted. I'll be rooting for the Nats after those men are gone, no matter what kind of team they field. I promise.

If you don't find this entertaining, Tom, you're watching it wrong. I don't understand the fans who aren't happy with a pathetic disaster of a team. You know what makes me happy? Baseball. Winning is gravy. And there are plenty of teams out there for anyone who disagrees. (Although I do reserve the right to deride those bandwagon fans who flock to the top of the AL East--you know which teams I'm talking about.)

I've rooted for a lot of teams in my life. I know what it's like to start every game believing that you're going to win. I know what it's like to expect that win. And you know what? Winning's a lot more fun when you're in last place. Yes, I'd like to be at the top of the division someday. I'd like it as soon as possible. But I refuse to stop enjoying my favorite game in the world because the Nats just got swept... again.

That's the thing that I just don't understand about the pessimists on this blog. Why keep coming here, why keep watching this team, if it makes you angry or sad? (The cynics I can understand; cynicism is fun and altogether appropriate when you're in the position to laugh at your own misfortune.) I'm not offering an opinion on the Plan or the FO or the product on the field. I'm just asking you to rewind ten years to 1998 and tell me whether, after 24 years without any baseball at all, you would have been happy with a Washington, D.C. that is first in war, first in peace, and last in the National League.

Posted by: girl at work | June 19, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Ditto. Bottom line: It makes me mighty happy to walk into a MLB ball park. Regardless of where it is or who is playing. Everthing else is just icing on the cake.

Posted by: N@sfan | June 19, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@girl at work:

will you marry me? (I don't think my current wife would mind). Thanks for a GREAT post!

Posted by: e | June 19, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

girl at work, you put us all to shame. I humbly take my hat off to you.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Forget post of the day, I think I just read the post of the year. Thanks, girl at work.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | June 19, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Chico -- perhaps you should have expanded this a bit and said "Second lousy outing in a row, 5 out of the last 6."

He's had 1 quality start in his past 6:

6/19 ... 3.2 IP ... 10 H ... 6 ER ... 91 pitches
6/13 ... 5 IP ... 12 H ... 4 ER ... 110 pitches
6/7 ... 7.1 IP ... 7 H ... 2 ER ... 97 pitches (QS)
6/1 ... 4 IP ... 7 H ... 5 ER ... 70 pitches
5/27 ... 5 IP ... 5 H ... 2 ER ... 112 pitches (and 5 BB!)
5/16 ... 5 IP ... 8 H ... 4 ER ... 99 pitches

As I've said before, I really like him and hope he does well. I just think it might be time to shelve him for the year and then take a look at Balester or Mock or Clippard for the rest of this season to see if they're capable of being an MLB pitcher.

---------------------------------------

Posted by: e | June 19, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Girl, you are a woman after my own heart.

Posted by: Traveler | June 19, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Girl@work, you are my heroine.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 19, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

girl@work, you are my heroin.

Posted by: kwamesnani | June 19, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I second the posting by "e" ... Its time to invent a soft tissue injury for Hill and put him on the DL. Bring up any one of Clippard/Balester/Mock (all three of them have pretty similar whips, eras and K/bb ratios at AAA). Let him have a continued run in the rotation and move on.

Posted by: Sec131 | June 19, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I've been on the FireBowden bandwagon lately but I've decided to take a step back for second before jumping back on the bandwagon.

I think the better question is this:

Who is truly responsible for the positives that the Nats have seen over the last year or so?

-the improvements in the farm syste?
-getting Clippard which was a nice little move? Is that Bowden going out there to get him or the scouting department coming to him and saying get this guy?
-trading for Milledge? same as Clippard, who initiated

I'd love to know more of the inside workings of the draft and of these trades.

If it's Rizzo spearheading these moves and not Bowden, I say give Rizzo the job. We probably would see more success with him at the wheel.

Posted by: Expos Fan | June 19, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with using a blog to vent frustrations. Nothing wrong with using this blog to express one's satisfaction/happiness at having baseball in DC. Also I am not young, and I like to see a decent team in DC before I'm planted.

Posted by: Count Demoney | June 19, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Girl at work, with all respect, you know not of what you speak. Winning is not important? You "don't understand the fans who aren't happy with a pathetic disaster of a team"? Who knew that Cubs fans had migrated to DC to become Nats fans? You are the Lerners' and Stan's perfect fan!

Flynnie, nice job with those Boswell columns.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | June 19, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Worse schtick: O's Exec or the "comedian" Gallagher?

Posted by: Andrew Dice Clay | June 19, 2008 2:25 PM
==========================================

Andy I'm flattered, I didn't even know that I had a schtick. Awesome. Definitely gotta be better than your angry, leather jacket, slicked back hair, smoker schtick.

What I'm looking forward to is June 27, 28, and 29 when fans of the feathery fists of fury O's come down to your ballpark and chant 'O' so loud during the national anthem. Talk about heaven.

And to all the blogger guys who are pitching tents in their pants over a girl making a post on this blog. Calm down and save it for when you're chatting on your adult websites when your wife is out shopping or something.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 19, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Inspired by girl at work, I thought I'd mention how excited I am to go to the game on Saturday with my grandfather and father. This is the first major league game we've all gone to together since I was a little kid and - needless to say - the first major league game we've all ever gone to together.

In our family bible that dates back to the 1850s there's an old Griffith Stadium stub from when my grandfather used to skip work to see Cal Griffith's Senators lose. My dad, as a youngster, accompanied him to games at DC Municipal Stadium to watch Short's Senators lose. And I go to Nats park and have a terrible habit of showing up at games where they lose, too.

And I am so thankful that we're all going together to see them this weekend. And they're gonna win.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Girl at work,

You blended the past, present and future of baseball all into one dream. I read your post twice, savoring it each time.

Thank you for putting the stars back into the baseball sky.

Posted by: Dale | June 19, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"needless to say - the first major league game we've all ever gone to together..."

...in DC

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"FireJimBowden.blogspot.com.

It's an evolving clearinghouse of information about why Jim Bowden must be replaced in order for the Nationals to become a winner and a general community of support for long-suffering Nationals fans who each day cling to the hope that today may finally be the day that Bowden is fired."

Great! Does this mean you'll no longer be using this blog as your clearinghouse of the same old same old information and convening the meetings of your community (of one) here?

What? You won't be leaving us alone now? Don't make us create EvictSoCH.com now, y'hear...

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 19, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

girl@work, you are my heroin.

Posted by: kwamesnani | June 19, 2008 4:58 PM
===========================================

Really, marijuana is the way to go. It's non-addictive, you can grow your own, and out here in Cali, it's practically legal.

Puff, puff, give.

Pick it
Pack it
Fire it up
Come along
And take a hit from the bong
Put the blunt down just for a second
Don't get me wrong it's not a new method Inhale
Exhale
Just got an ounce in the mail
I like a blunt or a big fat cone
But my double-barrel bong
Is gettin' me stoned

Posted by: O's Exec | June 19, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

girl at work,

That was awesome. Talk about putting things in perspective.

I think even SoCH would have to respect what you said...well, at least for maybe 5 seconds before he continued sticking his Jim Bowden doll with a pin.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | June 19, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Expos Fan: I don't really know the answer, but looking at what Bowden did in Cincinnati would suggest that he's getting some help from someone, probably Rizzo.

Check out the track record: http://firejimbowden.blogspot.com/2008/06/terrible-drafts-year-after-year-after.html

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

@girl@work--You get a tip o the cap from me too. We need this voice in the tribe.

@505/203--nah, I'll still hang around the water cooler.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Ease up there Spicoli/O's Exec. Let's keep the hooch smoking talk off the NJ.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | June 19, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I think NatsNut and natsfan1a are going to start getting jealous at all the attention a single post is getting.

Seriously, what is going on here? It seems to me that a lot of us around here aren't happy with this pathetic disaster of a team. And why should we be? And why are so many of you saluting a post that says we should be happy with a bunch of (unlovable) losers? These guys don't even try hard for the most part, which is what I find most offensive and which makes it impossible for me to be happy.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | June 19, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Ease up there Spicoli/O's Exec. Let's keep the hooch smoking talk off the NJ.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | June 19, 2008 5:20 PM

==========================================

I was only responding because the one guy brought up sweet-lady-H.

But, I digress, Cheech and Chong talk will be left at the door, for the most part.

I'll just go back to talking about crab cakes, Boog's BBQ, the O's plus-.500 record. You know, the usual.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 19, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

'Cause you missed last night, Coverage

Posted by: Peanut Gallery | June 19, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, girl@work.

Because you know what makes it worth sitting through those 3 1/3 innings from Hill? Getting to see Jon Rauch pound the strike zone in the eighth. Thirteen pitches, twelve strikes.

You know what makes it worth having to stomach watching Hanrahan not only fail to hit the strike zone, but continuously fail to even get the ball across the plate? Watching Nieves do one heckuva job stopping those pitches from getting away.

And I know we weren't rooting for the Twins, but you have to enjoy Mauer's performance during this series. Yikes.

And hey, it beats work!

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 19, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

girl@work,

I totally agree with everything you said. It's like we're soulmates. I'm going to cancel my membership to eharmony.com, match.com, and all the other dating websites that I frequent. Please find a way to contact me or vice versa. I know we could be happy together, forever.

Lovingly yours,

Mike

Posted by: Mike J. | June 19, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Good, God.

Regressing to the mean of mood?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

So all it takes is Jim Bowden posting in cyber-drag to get you guys riled up?

Posted by: RH | June 19, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

This is my favorite post of the day. I want more than pathetic for poor D.C.'s 611M.
********************************************
To me, the worst part of this season has been the point you guys are tapping around. Most reasonable folks looked at the roster that broke camp at Spring Training and expected to see improvement from last year's surprisingly not-awful 71-91. The real tough part of this year has been the uncomfortable realization that a lot of the answers to the "plan" questions for this year (Can JP be healthy and good enough to be a #1? Can Hill? Can Lopez and Kearns be effective every-day offensive mainstays? Can Cordero be the anchor of the bullpen? Can NJ be healthy enough to provide "protection" for Zimm? Is Zimm one of the all-time greats at 3b?) seems to be "no." Don't get me wrong, there have been bright spots so far - Flores and Lannan for sure, Milledge and Dukes a little bit too, but between the injuries and the breakdowns, from a long-term development standpoint, this year has so far been a step in the wrong direction.

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | June 19, 2008 3:40

Posted by: flynnie | June 19, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey I just found this on Dave Sheinin's chat from earlier today. Interesting....

Baltimore: Hey, Dave, still think Washington will end up with a better record than Baltimore at season's end?

Dave Sheinin: I was wondering when someone was going to hold me accountable for this prediction. Right now, the O's have an 8 1/2-game advantage, so I'd have to say it's unlikely the Nats can catch them.

Wow, the O's have an 8.5 game advantage. Weren't the O's supposed to be one of the worst, if not the worst, teams in MLB this year.

Think I'll go out and get me some crab cakes for dinner along with some delicious black-and-tans.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 19, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

No, no, no I'm not jealous at all. Great post, girl@work!

Shoot, even *I* want to marry you and I like XYs!

Posted by: NatsNut | June 19, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Grab me a Clipper City Ale while you're at it, hon.

Posted by: RH | June 19, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Clearly there are too many posters around here with unfulfilled fantasies involving Annie Savoy.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

NatsBisquit - nice post on the last thread comparingthe 6/19 line ups. I am not sure the major league line up is regressing on talent so much as regressing on performance to date. As you point out, evaluating this line up without including Zimmerman is not quite fair to say it represents the talent on hand. Likewise, evaluating any of these lineups when Bennett played for Schneider or Nieves for Flores really does not represent what the every day line ups are.

I think a major difference between this line up and those line ups is that the core of the '08 regular line up is it is much younger and that these younger players have more "upside" than the prior line ups. The regular line up includes 4 players who are 24 or younger when you include Zimmerman. If you count Johnson as the regular '08 1B, then I think it is fair to say that his injuries look more like his profile and make up and less like freaky isolated events than they did in '05. Best left fielder might have been the Nats Supernova of '06, but the '06 line up gave us the worst performance so far for a complete season. Jamey Carroll, Marlon Byrd, Duane Ward all played well, so I'll perhaps grant that the performance may have regressed, but in terms of talent, I am more optimistic about Milledge and Dukes than I was about prior outfielders (OK, I thought Church had potential, too, but until this year his platoon splits were so bad he did not look like an every day player).

As for the pitching staff, I think there's been a regression since '05.

Posted by: PTBNL | June 19, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

FYI, the Nats have the SECOND WORST record in all of MLB.

Lets get down to brass tax here man. How much for the ape?

Posted by: O's Exec | June 19, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Would you get off of the computer and take out the trash already!

Posted by: O's exec's Mom | June 19, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

The biggest difference between this team and 05 isn't the lineup it's the pitching. We inherited a respectable group from the Expos and added a nice year of Loaiza. Patterson, Livo, Loaiza, plus the Majewski, Ayala, Cordero, all really having their best years ever.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Brass TACKS, genius.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

By "genius" I meant "hon", hon.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Dope will get you thru times of crappy baseball much better than baseball will get you thru times of crappy dope.

********************
Let's keep the hooch smoking talk off the NJ.
Posted by: Section 505/203 | June 19, 2008 5:20 PM

Posted by: F. Freddy Scat | June 19, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, to be fair, it doesn't have to be Bowden.

***************
So all it takes is Jim Bowden posting in cyber-drag to get you guys riled up?

Posted by: RH | June 19, 2008 5:40 PM

Posted by: Just sayin | June 19, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

SoCH: Saw the blog and I like it and bookmarked it! :)

That's my point. Bowden's history is not good BUT the farm system has seen great improvements over the last couple of years. My guess is that it is not because of Bowden.

If Rizzo is indeed responsible for that improvement, does he not have the acumen and baseball knowledge to succeed as the GM full time?

Plus, Rizzo seems to have respect around the league. Is that not a plus when it comes to signing free agents?

I would like to see Rizzo in place with the trading deadline coming up. I'm guessing he would be great at getting good value for some of the guys that have been thrown around this board as trade fodder.

Chico: I would love to know who's the driving force in the draft room and when it came to all of the trades. And by the way, welcome. I'm more of a lurker here but enjoy your articles and everyone's comments.

Posted by: Expos Fan | June 19, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope Girl@work can hang. The culture war here is getting lopsided, which was inevitable, considering the particulars.

Reduced to a glaze:
One side cares about winning, and cannot comprehend why everyone doesn't, or even *that* everyone doesn't. You know who you are.
The other cares about baseball, and winning *really is* beside the point, ultimately.

The "cares about winning" side will stay in the argument longer, because, duh, they care about winning. The baseball side gets frustrated with (what seems to us as) a pointless emphasis on non-essentials, and a general Captain Bringdown attitude when they can't have their way.

Posted by: Mohammed's Radio | June 19, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

What are they arguing *about*?

That's the funny part, they aren't, really. They're just talking at cross purposes.

You say tomato, I say either. Then we tell each other to stop it.

Posted by: Mohammed's Radio | June 19, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

But that's not the bad part. That's people.

The ones who come in here just to [AB] up some stranger's day, the thoughtlessly cruel or mean-spirited ones, the people whose only happiness in life is breaking some one else's toys, that's just wrong.
Sad, but wrong.

Posted by: Mohammed's Radio | June 19, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Same here, NatsNut, well, except for the marrying part, that is.

============

No, no, no I'm not jealous at all. Great post, girl@work!

Shoot, even *I* want to marry you and I like XYs!

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 19, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I only put it on my cereal.

--------------

Posted by: Spaceman | June 19, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Beer for me, and fresh dead horses for my men!

Posted by: New out Post | June 19, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think it's about time to call a close to the WMP experiment for now. I think he's got an option left, so let's send him down to either AAA or AA & see if he can recapture a power stroke & MAYBE learn how to play a rudimentary LF. If there are no options left on him, float him as a waiver & hope an AL team puts in a claim.

As a replacement, either A)toss PLoD out there (he obviously has no business at 1B) to "enhance market value", or B)stick to a Casto/Harris/Langerhans vs. pitching matchup to see if somebody gets warm, since getting hot seems to be beyond the reach of our current squad.

BTW: To Chico, nice update; girl@work, sweet post, stay with us. To Flynnie, John in Mpls, & a lot of others, keep the faith, it's nice to know there are still realists with a touch of optimism left. To SoCH, O's Exec, & the other "one-note" players... just give it a rest.

Posted by: BIM | June 19, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

That's great, 506. Hope you all have a wonderful time.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 19, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's time to turn Shawn Hill into a dominant reliever. He's got so many arm problems these days, there is no reason in my mind that we shouldn't turn him into something useful before he throws out his elbow and is out of professional baseball at 30 (see Patterson, John). Look at Hill's career splits. Over his career, he allows a .229/.286/.306 line against him for the first time opposing batters face him in a game. That inflates to .299/.364/.447 the second time around, and baloons to .282/.352/.492 for the third time around and after. Hill is ridiculously good in the first inning he pitches (.191/.248/.200 against) and pedestrian after that (opposing OPS' of .851, .806, .751, .792, .840 in innings 2-6, only 47 career PA against after 6 innings). Hill's chances of being something special are significantly better if he is converted into a reliever rather than staying as a starter.
From my blog (dcsportsplus.blogspot.com)

Posted by: Hoagie | June 19, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse