Tonight's lineups

Young -- 3
Belliard -- 5
Lo Duca -- 7
Lopez -- 4
Lannan -- 1

By Chico Harlan  |  June 28, 2008; 3:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reports (major and minor)
Next: Hagerstown stats, trivia, and other assorted notes

Comments

flop mouths off about manny and the organization and then gets a start, hopefully this is just the O's wanting a try out before they pull the trigger, if its not that, its a mystery...

Posted by: love | June 28, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh give me a Boone,
Covering ground at 3d base,
and not deer in the head lights at 2d,
Where seldom we drop,
a left field pop,
Because Harris is playing out there.

(I can't rap)

Posted by: PTBNL | June 28, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me the Nats are only showcasing Lopez tonight, not rewarding him with a start after his ridiculous comments last night. I can't wait til we ship his whining butt outta here!!! I want GAMERS on my ballclub, not some overpaid jackass who jogs to 1st base half of the time!!

Posted by: Hondo | June 28, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 28, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"Don't you think we're overplaying the problematic nature of Felipe Lopez just a leeeetle bit?"

No. If there was any chance that we were overplaying it, it was erased by his comments in the paper today. He needs to be gone, ASAP.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was just me. This team has so many other problems. So, why has it become so fashionable to whine about Felipe Lopez?

Posted by: Ed | June 28, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a big Flop fan anymore, but I'm not sure his comments were all that bad given the topic. He was asked about being hte subject of trade rumors and about being on the bench. Here is what was quoted in the paper:

"I don't know; I don't know what's going on," López said regarding rumors about a possible trade to the Baltimore Orioles following this weekend's series. "I haven't even heard that since spring training. I heard the same thing there."

"Nobody communicates around here; everything's a mystery," López said. "Nothing's wrong with me. I'm fine. . . . I just came off an 11-game hitting streak while I was on the road, and now I'm on the bench. Take a guess. I don't know what happened. Because I made an error? I really don't understand it."

Those are tough topics for anyone to deal with. Now the not playing hard thing -- that is a huge problem. For $4 million you run out every groundball, cover your bases, and PAY ATTENTION!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 28, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

That was me.

Posted by: NatBisquit | June 28, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

There are a number of problems with this team:
1) Bowden
2) Need for a new batting coach
3) Lopez
4) Trying to showcase 'assets'

Posted by: Expos Fan | June 28, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with FLops comments.

Should we be happy with a guy who doesn't mind getting benched? Should FLop be happy that he has no idea what his status is with the team?

Maybe Manny doesn't talk to his player enough, or maybe he doesn't have good answers for them because JimBow is making too many of The Managers decisions and Manny is smart enough to not undermine his status with his players by telling them he doesn't know why they aren't starting, or why in God's Name Paul LoDuca is playing Left Field?

Posted by: estuartj | June 28, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Expos Fan, you left out "we need better players". If our hurt veterans weren't all hitting in the low .200's when they were healthy, this team would be right there with the rest of the teams in the division. Pitchers got virtually no run support in the first half.

Question: How much does a .300 hitter rely on a batting coach? As Manny says, Dimitri is a professional hitter. Bottom line, we need a new hitting coach, but we also need some new hitters.

Posted by: Ed | June 28, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm still a believer that on this team there is an understanding that you don't share your beef with the media. In that context, Lopez's comments are the only ones he can make, unless he wants to fess up to his own failures. If he has any pride - which he seems to, though it seems linked too closely to what other people think - then he can't be happy at the benching.

Let's see how he plays tonight. Not a soul commented here, but his pinch hit appearance was amazing last night. I kept asking, "is this Lopez?"

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 28, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

For hanrafan in IA, Joel was on the radio pregame just now talking about the fundraising effort and there is also a blurb about it on the team site.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 28, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm delusional, but I'm liking our line-up tonight. Let's go Nats, a win tonight clinches a tie in the MASN Cup race!

Posted by: PB | June 28, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Lets hope Lopez doesn't have 2 errors and keeps the Orioles interested in him. He needs to go asap.

Posted by: Pablo | June 28, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

"I really don't understand it."

see, i find two problems here.

first, why wouldn't he understand it? he doesn't realize he's playing poorly? doesn't understand that he's not playing hard? problem #1. second, if he doesn't understand it, why is the communication problem all on the manager? while i won't excuse manny if manny isn't communicating, communication is a two-way street. if i'm unhappy w/something my boss does and i don't bother to go talk to her about it, isn't it on me as well for not doing my part?

while he may have pride, it's in his ego not in his play. if he had pride in his play, he'd be playing harder. if you have pride, when things go poorly, you work harder.

eh. sorry, i'm unimpressed.

and it's not just flopez people whine about. if that's what you think, you probably aren't reading this blog that much. he gets his fair share (and deservedly), but others get bashed, too. it's just that what ails flopez is a microcosm of what seems to be affecting the team as a whole. malaise.

Posted by: 231 | June 28, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm here, I m there, and everywhere.

Posted by: new post | June 28, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse