Two injuries: one minor, one major

John Lannan, whose right hand was injured yesterday by a line drive, does not have a serious injury, a CT Scan confirmed today. A team statement said that all tests "returned negative for serious injury." So, looks like Lannan ought to be able to start Saturday against Baltimore. The team said that Lannan is being treated for a "soft tissue contusion."

This second bit of injury news is a few days old, breaking on my off day over the weekend, and Yanda put something in the paper about it. But it's worth mentioning in the blogosphere, too, because it's another tough break for the Nats -- and it doesn't even involve a member of their current roster. Chris Marrero, the team's first round pick from 2006, is done for the season. He's going to have surgery to repair ligaments in his ankle and the fibula bone. (Info per GM Jim Bowden.)

Bowden said this about Marrero, who'd injured himself Wednesday while running the bases: "It's a serious injury. His season is over... He's on the fast track to get here, and it's a setback, no question. When you have a setback like this, it obviously sets back his timetable to the big leagues."

The injury short-circuits what had already been a challenging season for Marrero, performance-wise. He'd entered the season (with Class A Potomac) ranked by Baseball America as the Nats' top prospect, but this season only pointed in moments at his potential.

His numbers (now final) from 2008.

AB: 256
Avg.: .250
2B: 15
HR: 11
RBI: 38
OBP: .325
SLG: .453

By Chico Harlan  |  June 23, 2008; 3:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Needed: Cordero
Next: Johnson -- possibly out for season

Comments

our team's history of ineptitude with diagnosing injuries says to put Lannan on the DL right now before it gets any worse.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 23, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Guzman
Milledge
Young
Dukes
Flores
Belliard
Lopez
Casto

DO IT.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 23, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

new posted

Posted by: 231 | June 23, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

i'll repost here, having been gnuposted...

brue, i have to disagree that "lack of emotion is just another way of expressing fear." that's a very narrow view. some guys just aren't lou pinella. now, if you want to argue that's not the best kind of manager for this team right now, i think that's a fair argument (not sure i agree, but it's fair). but i don't think it's fair to say that acta is managing from fear, which is how i interpreted your comment.

Posted by: 231 | June 23, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chico, what was that bit in the gamer about Lannan putting ammonia on his hand?

Posted by: better than rubbing dirt on it... | June 23, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Brue's assuming, too, that Lenny Harris is Manny Acta's call. I think Acta has little control over his coaches. That's all Bowden's doing, a power he centralized after that first season in Washington when he dumped McCraw and Frank's other cronies.

I don't think I've read too many kind words about Lenny Harris coming from Manny's mouth, and I don't think I've ever seen them interact in the dugout the way Manny does with St. Claire.

Posted by: Chris | June 23, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Ammonia's a disinfectant, right?

Posted by: SF Fan | June 23, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Chris - the question needs to be asked, exactly how much does Manny have control over, realistically? Because I think he's being forced in many issues here, like Wily Mo Pena for example. Jimbo's forced a manager to play Wily Mo before, so I have no doubts that he'd do it again.

I have no doubts that Acta has a bunch of players on his team that he doesn't want.

that sounds like excuse-making, I know. But that's just my gut feeling.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 23, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"Ammonia's a disinfectant, right?"

Yeah, the kind used to clean glass and bathroom tiles. It's an irritant when it comes in contact with skin or (especially) eyes.

Posted by: wikipedia | June 23, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

But that's just my gut feeling.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 23, 2008 3:33 PM

-------------

Who do you think you are, Ray King?

Posted by: p2spru | June 23, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I've held back as long as I can, but...

FIRE LENNY HARRIS!!!

It isn't working. Half a season is long enough when most of the team is in or has been in a slump. They are no more patient at the plate, the results are getting worse, not better, and we are making scrubs look like all stars. We have to make a change.

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | June 23, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"what was that bit in the gamer about Lannan putting ammonia on his hand?

I'm no doctor, but that seems really weird to me. I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could shed some light on it."

I heard that Moises Alou pees on his hands to make them tough. Pee, I believe, has natural ammonia in it, so maybe Lannan is trying to toughen up his hands with ammonia without having to pee on them.

Who knows, but a thought.

Posted by: Nats320 | June 23, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: better than rubbing dirt on it... | June 23, 2008 3:27 PM
______________________

Sounds to me like a misguided rookie prank...LoDuca!!!

What's next, replace shaving cream pies with anti-freeze?

Posted by: 756* | June 23, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Madison -- Bingo. I think you see that in a few of the roster decisions. Manny wants a lefty-only reliever and Bowden keeps trying to take it away from him. There have been a few other things like that where Bowden's talked about a player, but Manny's used him in a different way.

It's an imperfect roster with a lousy bench and shoddy construction. That's on Bowden. Manny's not perfect, but he's got a bunch of crap he's trying to work with.

Posted by: Chris | June 23, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Moises Alou pees on his hands to make them tough.

---------------

Thaaaaaat's juuuuuusst naaaaaaaasssstyyyyyyyyy.

Posted by: Cleveland Brown Sr. | June 23, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Ok, that didn't make sense.

take 2: What's next? Putting liquid heat in their jock straps???

(Ummm..Revenge of the Nerds) ANyone?

Posted by: 756* | June 23, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

For anyone curious about hand-peeing major leaguers... this should clear that line of speculation up.

Posted by: relax. it's sterile. | June 23, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Guzman
Milledge
Young
Dukes
Flores
Belliard
Lopez
Casto

DO IT.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 23, 2008 3:20 PM
__________________________________

I love all of this direction, however, at the end of the game, it is still the worst lineup in baseball. There are three terrible OBP middle-infielders, 3 outfielders who are hitting like middle infielders, and a 1B who can't see his toes.

Posted by: 756* | June 23, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

--------

well, yeah....

who has any delusions of it being otherwise?

Posted by: MrMadison | June 23, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"who has any delusions of it being otherwise?"

Lenny Harris seems deluded enough.

Posted by: Chris | June 23, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Why am I going to the game tonite? It's hotter then hell out there, it's a Monday night, it's the SoCal Angels who just spanked the Filthy Phils and of course we ain't got a chance as long as Lenny Harris is sitting in that dugout!

Posted by: tippy canoe | June 23, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I had a coach in HS (local but I won't say his name). He got so tired of us losing that, one game, he showed up in shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals, carrying his toddler on his shoulders. Didn't even bother to fill out a line-up.

One day, I fear Manny might do the same.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

People used to pee on leather armor to toughen it up as well, an old Mongolian trick if I remember right.

This year's Acta is not last year' Acta. He sat Lopez after not running out a ground out last year and from what I've read this year, Lopez is not running ground outs on a consistent basis.

Atca is a manager that everyone seems to like and respect for the most part but obviously his hands are tied.

It's obvious Harris needs to go. No consistent plan at the plate and the worst offense around should be enough to get him fired.

I've said it before but I would love to see Rizzo in before the trade deadline to see what he can do. His track record is excellent with regards to drafts.

Posted by: Expos Fan | June 23, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

One big positive note that you Washington fans may not realize is...

It's refreshing to not have your draft dictated by who you may or may not be able to sign. The Expos passed over better players in the draft because they may not have had the money to pay for the signing bonuses. Now they're drafting players regardless of the signing bonuses. It's great.

I still love the Nats even though they relocated from Montreal. I suffered through worse with the Expos and stayed with them. I'm not about to jump ship because there are some guys I like on the team.

Posted by: Expos Fan | June 23, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

aw, come on 756*. at least give dukes a break. he's hitting like a real OF this month. his june numbers are 313/402/488/890 and he's 5 for 6 in SBs. i think those are pretty respectable corner OF numbers.

Posted by: 231 | June 23, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

On Marrero, it is a little bit dated news, but it's not the end of the world. The toughest part of it was he had started to hit a lot better over the last few weeks and was showing signs of life. Hopefully, he'll be back in time to play some winter ball. I think the lesson here is this is why you don't pencil "fill-in-the-blank-position of the future" guys into the lineup until they are actually on the 25 man roster. Folks who thought they'd see Marrero at 1b next September are mistaken. But ultimately, he's 19, he had (best case) at least two more years in the minors, and now he might have 3-4. Tough day for him, but really he's just another one of a lot of young guys who are on the horizon, though now maybe a bit further away.

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | June 23, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Baseball is different from any other sport, very different. For instance, in most sports you score points or goals; in baseball you score runs. In most sports the ball, or object, is put in play by the offensive team; in baseball the defensive team puts the ball in play, and only the defense is allowed to touch the ball. In fact, in baseball if an offensive player touches the ball intentionally, he's out; sometimes unintentionally, he's out.

Also: in football,basketball, soccer, volleyball, and all sports played with a ball, you score with the ball and in baseball the ball prevents you from scoring.

In most sports the team is run by a coach; in baseball the team is run by a manager. And only in baseball does the manager or coach wear the same clothing the players do. If you'd ever seen John Madden in his Oakland Raiders uniform,you'd know the reason for this custom.

Now, I've mentioned football. Baseball & football are the two most popular spectator sports in this country. And as such, it seems they ought to be able to tell us something about ourselves and our values.

I enjoy comparing baseball and football:

Baseball is a nineteenth-century pastoral game.
Football is a twentieth-century technological struggle.

Baseball is played on a diamond, in a park.The baseball park!
Football is played on a gridiron, in a stadium, sometimes called Soldier Field or War Memorial Stadium.

Baseball begins in the spring, the season of new life.
Football begins in the fall, when everything's dying.

In football you wear a helmet.
In baseball you wear a cap.

Football is concerned with downs - what down is it?
Baseball is concerned with ups - who's up?

In football you receive a penalty.
In baseball you make an error.

In football the specialist comes in to kick.
In baseball the specialist comes in to relieve somebody.

Football has hitting, clipping, spearing, piling on, personal fouls, late hitting and unnecessary roughness.
Baseball has the sacrifice.

Football is played in any kind of weather: rain, snow, sleet, hail, fog...
In baseball, if it rains, we don't go out to play.

Baseball has the seventh inning stretch.
Football has the two minute warning.

Baseball has no time limit: we don't know when it's gonna end - might have extra innings.
Football is rigidly timed, and it will end even if we've got to go to sudden death.

In baseball, during the game, in the stands, there's kind of a picnic feeling; emotions may run high or low, but there's not too much unpleasantness.
In football, during the game in the stands, you can be sure that at least twenty-seven times you're capable of taking the life of a fellow human being.

And finally, the objectives of the two games are completely different:

In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home! And to be safe! - I hope I'll be safe at home!

Posted by: RIP George Carlin | June 23, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I fear, if Bowden and the Lerners and Kasten control so many strings, Manny will take the first leap possible once his contract is near to expiring.

Posted by: bagoverheadfornextyear | June 23, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think I've ever seen them interact in the dugout the way Manny does with St. Claire."

Manny has a reason to interact in the dugout with St. Claire - moment by moment decisions on what the pitcher should be throwing, whether or not St. Claire needs to go out to the mound to talk with the pitcher, who needs to start throwing in the bullpen, etc. In contrast, what reason does he have to interact with Lenny Harris during the game? The hitting coach has no input on batting strategy during the game (i.e. putting on the bunt, hit and run, etc) and it's not like the hitting coach can make a visit to the batter's box to check on the batter mid-inning like the pitching coach can. The hitting coach's role in the dugout ought to be to talk with the batters before they go up, remind them of mechanical stuff, etc. He doesn't need the manager interrupting while he's doing that.

Trying to decipher the clubhouse chemistry of a team by peering into the dugout during games is akin to what the old Kremlinogists used to do by analyzing photos of the Moscow May Day parade, and probably every bit as accurate.

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | June 23, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"In most sports the team is run by a coach; in baseball the team is run by a manager. And only in baseball does the manager or coach wear the same clothing the players do."

GC is classic. Great idea to post that. It reminds me that on throwback days, I'd love to a manager wear a suit like some of the old-timers did like Connie Mack.

Posted by: 756* | June 23, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"But that's just my gut feeling"

No gut feelings are allowed here without the expressed written permission of Ray King's Gut Feeling. My lawyers will be in touch, just as soon as I dig up the number of The Cochran Firm I got off the TV commercial.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 23, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"In contrast, what reason does he have to interact with Lenny Harris during the game?"

You may be right mid-at bat. You can signal from the dugout to change a hitters approach or something. But if you are a hitting coach and you see that a hitter is not making adjustments (or who isn't practicing the "mechanical stuff" that you've been going over) in AB after AB, why shouldn't the hitting coach confer with the manager?

What I think we forget here often is that these players are known quantities. Their tendencies, hitting charts, pitching charts, etc., are all scouted ad nauseum. Granted, large majority of the prep work is done beforehand, in terms of match-ups, insertion of pinch-hitters, etc. But don't you think the hitting coach (who theoretically should have the best knowledge of the hitters, their tendencies, what they have been doing in the cages, drills, and in games, who knows the scouting report on the opposing pitchers) should have some input during the game?

Posted by: 756* | June 23, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Manny's not going anywhere until the Nats are good. That should take him to late 2009 at the earliest probably 2010. After that, they'll dump him and bring in a fiery type guy just to try to see if being tough doesn't get better results. (Gee is 75 too old to manage? Frank anyone).

Posted by: NatBisquit | June 23, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Ammonia is put on the impacted area to cool it down because it evaporates very quickly. It serves the same function as ice but allows the player to continue playing.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 23, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, SP63!

Posted by: the formerly confused | June 23, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Meant to say "You CAN"T signal..."

Posted by: 756* | June 23, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

You have been most gracious allowing me to state my opinion, this is the first time I have been contibute any knowledge.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 23, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

that's "been ABLE TO contribute"

Maybe ought to just play one!

Posted by: slowPitch63 | June 23, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

"But don't you think the hitting coach (who theoretically should have the best knowledge of the hitters, their tendencies, what they have been doing in the cages, drills, and in games, who knows the scouting report on the opposing pitchers) should have some input during the game?"

Sure, but his input should go to the batters, not the manager. It's not like for every batter there are multiple possible replacements who could be pulled in mid-game, like there are with the one pitcher. Once the lineup is fielded, the only real opportunities for substitutions are pinch hitters, double switches, etc. Those are manager's decisions, and if he wants input on them from the hitting coach he can always ask for it. But I'd bet that any manager would talk it out with the bench coach before even thinking of asking the hitting coach for input.

Posted by: An Briosca Mor | June 23, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

There's no time for Lenny and Manny to interact, because Lenny is too busy interacting with the TV cameras. "Someone got a hit? Amazing! Better simulate a swing while standing on the top step. Looks like I'm the one who taught the guy to get a hit."

Watch for it. He does it every time. And Carpenter/the MASN people are stupid enough to feed into it.

Posted by: Henry Mateo Fan Club | June 23, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Goddurnnit, SOMEONE has to get fired before Thursday!

Posted by: Pitchfork Wielder | June 23, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Two injuries: one minor, one major

-----

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I get it! Heh, that's funny, Chico.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 23, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

If you check Lenny's lifetime stats - .318 OBP, .349 slugging, .667 OPS, 3.27 pitchers per plate appearance - you will understand why he's the PERFECT hitting coach for the Half Street Hackmasters.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 23, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

The ice water kept in the dugout has ammonia in it to "wake 'em up" on a hot day. The training staff did the exact right thing - plunging Lannan's hand in ice water to clean it out of all the junk that produces bruises and swelling.

Posted by: flynnie | June 23, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The O's have now lost 11 straight games played on Sunday (yes one of those losses is to the Nats) after winning their first Sunday game of the year agains the Mariners. The Baltimore Sun has a poll up asking their readers:

The Orioles have now lost 11 Sunday games in a row. When will the club's Sunday slump end?

June 29: @ Washington Nationals (879 responses) 88.0%

July 6: Texas Rangers (48 responses) 4.8%

July 13: @ Boston Red Sox (25 responses) 2.5%

July 20: Detroit Tigers (26 responses) 2.6%

July 27: Los Angeles Angels (21 responses)
2.1%

999 total responses

These results really speak to those who answered the poll and how they view the Nats.

Yikes!!

Posted by: O's Exec | June 23, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

That is some real imagination. Only thing I'd do differently is to keep Milledge/Dukes back-to-back to create permanent synergy. And Guzman's 100 hits are wasted singles that die a horrible death every time he leads off.

Guzman
Milledge
Young
Dukes
Flores
Belliard
Lopez
Casto

DO IT.

Posted by: Brue | June 23, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I just read on the Wash. Times blog that N. Johnson is going to have surgery and might be out for the rest of the season.

What is the deal with this team? I mean, the number of injuries is ridiculous.

Posted by: res21 | June 23, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

big surprise there. Johnson has always been a ridiculously slow healer. I'm not surpriseed that he's going to shut it down completely, and in fact I expected it.

we need to proceed without considering NJ a significant piece of this team. time to move on. he just can't stay healthy, just like john patterson.

Posted by: MrMadison | June 23, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I can just imagine how that got started.

Teammate: Whoa, Moises! Dude, watch where you're pointing that thing! Geez, you're peeing all over yourself.
M.A.: I meant to do that!
Tm: How many beers did you have?? Why would you pee on yourself, anyway.
M.A.: Uhhh... 'cuz it toughens the skin. Yeah! That's the ticket! It toughens the skin. My dad and uncles taught me that. All the old time tough guys did that.
Tm: I guess it must toughen your shoes, too, huh?

************
I heard that Moises Alou pees on his hands to make them tough...
Posted by: Nats320 | June 23, 2008 3:44 PM

Posted by: section 3, my couch | June 23, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

A fond fairwell from this corner of the Post to the Executive Editor who is resigning after a 17 year tenure. brave advocate for the littles, the poor, the powerless, and the oppressed. Leonard Downie, Jr. Thank you, may you enjoy your well-deserved retiremtent! Fair winds and following seas!

"Downie's mantra -- reflected in routine stories as well as such Pulitzer-winning efforts as the 2007 expose of shoddy conditions at Walter Reed Army Medical Center -- was "accountability journalism."

Posted by: flynniie | June 23, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

M.A. No, we use Shinola for that.

Tm: ummm, that's not Shinola there ...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse