Washington 3, Baltimore 2

Greetings from Reagan National, where in a few minutes I take off for Miami (via Atlanta)...

But before the wheels leave the ground, let's take a last opportunity to recap the final drama of an earlier series. One of my friends said yesterday that, five years from now, if ever Nats-O's can become a legitimate rivalry, the Belliard homer game might still be its most enduring image. That Washington managed to win yesterday with the lineup it used was stunning; there's no other way to say it. Sure, in the course of a losing baseball season, one victory can only mean so much. But sometimes, victories should be appreciated just because they were good for one memorable afternoon. And it came in front of a record crowd at Nats Park.

(By the way, you can read the gamer here, notebook here; Andrew Astleford, one of our summer interns -- he's a Mizzou guy, if you want ammo -- covered things from the O's side with this and this.)

So now seems like the time to ask: Do you consider Washington-Baltimore a rivalry? Already? Ever? I know this... at least once yesterday in the 11th, a lot of orange T-shirt-wearing fans managed to rock the stadium with a "Let's Go O's" chant.

These teams won't play one another 'til 2009, but here's the final tally from 2008.

* The teams split the series, 3-3.

* The O's outscored the Nats, 25-18.

* Despite Saturday's game, a 9-1 loss, Washington pitched well against Baltimore all year. Final staff ERA against B'More: 3.27.

Now, on to Florida. I won't be thinking about Baltimore again until August 12, when the Wire Season 5 comes out on DVD.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 30, 2008; 7:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How the pieces fit
Next: Cordero -- torn labrum, out for year

Comments

A guy behind me kept calling centerfielder Roger Bernadina "new guy", as in "nice catch, new guy!"

And one of the things I'll remember for a long time about yesterday's game was that.

Welcome to the club, new guy.

Posted by: i hate walks | June 30, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

It is a rivalry because the cowardly Peter Angelo$ tried to stop the franchise from coming here, took away the team's TV rights, kept the Nats off TV for almost two seasons and treats MASN as a stepchild on MASN. Angelo$ is a horrible owner, the worst in all of baseball and perhaps all of sports since Bill Wirtz died.

Posted by: WFY | June 30, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it is a rivalry, cemented from the start by Peter Angelos. My distaste for the Orioles only grows every time a Nats "home" telecast has ads for Orioles ticket sales (but not for the Nats) scrolling under the score. It grows further when I have to hear an Orioles broadcaster give excited commentary when the Orioles go ahead in extra innings (again, Nats "home" broadcast).

The funny thing about the rivalry is the way the crowds are working. O's fans come to Nationals Park, but Nats fans don't want to go to OPACY, since it puts money in Angelos's pocket. Of course, there is also the fact that OPACY is too far away, no matter how Angelos thought Northern Virginia was Orioles country.

I have enjoyed the Nats having a better record than the O's the first 3 years, but that good feeling has dissipated when the O's chose higher in the draft. Nonetheless, I would like nothing more than a horrible swoon by Baltimore, and improved play by the Nats to allow them to catch up.

Austin Kearns had a homer and 4 RBI for Columbus yesterday. Hopefully he can bring that success here soon.

Posted by: Positively Half St | June 30, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

For me it will become less of a rivalry once Angelos is gone. I've dealt with him & his firm professionally and I've had to deal with him trying to sabotage baseball in DC - and in Baltimore with his mismanagement. Just don't like him.

Now on to the Marlins. Uggla is probably out tonight so that helps the Nats. Looking forward to watching them in Miami. First time I get to see the Nats outside of DC, OPACY, Philly and Shea - should be interesting.

Posted by: Count Demoney | June 30, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Re. comments on the "new guy," IHW, after his first appearance (and first MLB hit) my tagline for his subsequent plate appearances was "Roger that."

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 30, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the O's I don't think are likely to keep getting better.

Why? because MacPhail aggressively did what Bowden didn't when he got here: commit to rebuilding, use his most marketable trading chips to get back caches of younger, improving players under team control. The Orioles are a good case study on why people who want to exonerate Bowden for the current mess shouldn't.

Read more firejimbowden.blogspot.com.

Posted by: firejimbowden.blogspot.com | June 30, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Re. the rivalry, PHS encapsulated my own feelings about it quite nicely. We moved to this area long after the original Senators had left, so I had no background with them. I never felt that Baltimore was my home team (too far away, for one thing). I embraced the current Nats as my own from day one (and booed Angelos).

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 30, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Here's the banner I would have brought to the game yesterday if the Nats allowed banners:

Mister
Angelos
Screwed the
Nats

Posted by: Sec 419, Row E (when somebody isn't sitting in my seats!) | June 30, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen me this morning?

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't care about the O's enough for it to be a rivalry.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

That was the least likely, back-against-the-wall, down-to-the-last-swing win I can ever remember seeing. That Ronnie Belliard, a hero in the Dominican, did it spitting and strutting and slamming fists and chests with the whole Nats squad from Manny to the bat boy made it all the sweeter. I have watched it 50 times, savoring the glad surprise in Bob Carpenter's voice, the roar from the home-team crowd, and Ronnie's and the team's macho Dominican celebration. This is why we watch baseball. The fact that it is for a last place team whose best days are before it makes it all the sweeter. We didn't have an Eric Bedard to trade for great prospects and a closer. We are THE UNDERDOG in baseball, easier to root for and with each win more joyous. I have a feeling we are going to see more, as our youngsters get their sea legs under them.

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the energy of the crowd Saturday night, at least before the rains came. It was fun to have a lot of Os fans interspersed among the Nats faithful. I think the rivalry is legit and it is a good thing. Sure, I don't like Angelos for a lot of the reasons already stated. However, he finally did one smart thing the Nats didn't do and that was hire McPhail. Maybe we can trade Kasten and Bowden for Andy.

Posted by: Wallpass | June 30, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

NatsNut- I agree. That win would have been better against the wealthy and the powerful, like the Mets, Phils, Braves,Cubs, or Cards. Or against a non-expansion team loaded with young talent like the Rays or Marlins. The O's are a small-market franchise that will need Twins-like management to contend. But having gone to the game on Saturday night, we are in the minority. There was a lot of orange (1 in 3) in the crowd. That Mary Feeney hasn't scheduled them to play again until 2009 shows the same arrogant indifference that keeps us from having baseball in the Nation's Capitol on the 4th of July.

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

I agree completely that the Belliard homer should be an enduring image of any rivalry that develops. One has to wonder, then, why the only picture of the feat in your paper is a small one buried on E8? Meanwhile, there are huge pictures of Michael Phelps on A1, E1, and E9. And your really well done gamer doesn't even get an above-the-fold placement. So if Belliard's homer does become an enduring image, it will not be thanks to the Post. The editorial disdain that your paper continues to show to the Nats and baseball in general is really sad.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | June 30, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"because MacPhail aggressively did what Bowden didn't when he got here: commit to rebuilding, use his most marketable trading chips to get back caches of younger, improving players under team control."

Of the 5 players he got for Tejada, how many have functioning arms at the moment step forward . . . not so fast there Mr. Patton and Albers.

The two best plpayers McPhail added this winter are Luke Scott who's 30 and George Sherill (from the Bedard trade) who's 31. Lots of youth there.

Adam Scott's numbers look a lot like Lastings Milledge's or Elijah Dukes numbers. It didn't cost JimBo a Top 10 lefty starter to get either of those.

I wouldn't go running up AL East flags in 2012 for the O's just yet.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

My guesstimate (based on my observations as I walked around and later sat in the park) on the percentage of O's fans in the crowed on Sunday would be perhaps 25 percent. For those who listened on the radio, I hope that Charlie and Dave continued their tradition of ragging on those who left a tie game early with "bragging rights" on the line. They missed one heck of a finish!

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 30, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

hmm, I meant to type crowd not crowed. Sigmund Freud to the white courtesy phone?

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 30, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

My wife made the early-morning jaunt down the driveway this morning and asked, "Where are the pictures of the big home run?" Where indeed? Buried in black and white on E-8! Too many O's fans that the Post panders to? Where are the pictures of Belliard pounding Manny as hard as he could, knocking him backwards, and Manny just grinning? That celebration would've ended Bobby Cox's career! Maybe the Times has it.

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

And what got front page coverage? Olympic swimming, an event that could not draw 40,000 if they gave the tickets away. The big story for the Olympics is going to be the black cough that everyone gets when visiting Beijing, with it's Victorian London air-quality. You cannot see the sky from the Forbidden City in broad dayight, because the daylight can't get through the smog. Yet the Post ignores the biggest local sporting event of the summer, one that packed the house, to shill for the Red Chinese showcase that will get a bunch of elite athletes sick, along with the reporters who cover them.

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

O's Exec made this a rivalry

Posted by: Jason | June 30, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

i think that, for now, it's more of a rivalry from the nat's side than the o's side. but there is definitely long-term potential, once the two teams begin to win again for a few seasons. right now it's got some rivalry aspect to it, but nothing makes a rivalry like two winning teams going for bragging rights. neither of these teams is good enough to really make a real rivalry yet.

Posted by: 231 | June 30, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Andrew Astleford, one of our summer interns -- he's a Mizzou guy, if you want ammo"

Raaaaahhhhhk Chaaaaahhhlk, Jaaaaayhawk, K UUUUUUU!

Posted by: jweb | June 30, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I too liked the energy at the park - and at the Red Loft - during the rain delay Saturday. I think alot of fans are in the same boat as me: the Senators left when we were kids, we rooted for the O's because it was the team closest to us and the only one we could get on TV (HTS), and once our club came back we jumped on board.

Heck, I was a Sunday season ticket holder in Baltimore, saw Cal's last game. I gave a damn about the O's....it was the only game in town.

I think it's kinda cool the organization is finally getting over Maier's deflection:

Only took 12 years.

While I'm still not a fan of inter-league baseball (exhibitions during the regular season, and they're canceling the Hall of Fame game in Cooperstown?), yeah - this is fun to watch. It gets the fans together and that's where the rivalry is.

Posted by: DanD187 | June 30, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

For once, I would like the radio guys (Charlie and Dave and whomever the dolts are that do the call-in show afterwards) would stop making comments about people leaving the stadium early. Especially on Sundays. Or at least offer up one solution as to why so many people leave early on Sundays ... there are a LOT of kids that come to Sunday games. And Sundays are the "Kids run the bases" promotion. We have to line our kids up outside the stadium in the 7th inning. And there is always a LOT of kids (and parents) waiting outside the stadium while the game keeps going. Perhaps this is one reason?

Also, there are tour groups that make it to the games on Sundays, and they need to leave to catch their buses back to wherever it is they came from.

Posted by: e | June 30, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

MASN has made me hate the O's. The way they treat the Nats is ridiculous. We are treated as second class citizens. The O's announcers cheering on their team during the broadcast. The O's extra after the replay of the game and them complaining and putting down the Nats. MASN and the O's suck. Also, O's fans are obnoxious.

Posted by: BRothbart | June 30, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Except that it's not just on Sundays. FWIW, I do not recall observing a lot of children in the stream of people leaving via the CF gate (from my upper deck seat, I was well positioned to see them). Then again, I wasn't looking for them either.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 30, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

So.....have they traded FLop yet? Something tells me that it might not happen now since Cintron had a pretty decent series against us.

Posted by: Pablo | June 30, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I don't get the FLop rumors. I always assumed the O's had scouts, too. Besides, they might even watch MASN from time to time. How they would take the guy for even a bag of balls, assuming the Nats paid his salary, is beyond me. He appears to be a poisonous guy to the team.

Posted by: Ira | June 30, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

This is more of a diversion than a rivalry because the AngelO's can't win the NL East and the Nats can't win the AL East. Now if there was ever realignment where the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, AngelO's and Nats played each other 18 times a season, then it could become a rivalry.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 30, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

This is a rivalry, but not of the heated type that is seen between the Redskins and Cowboys or the Yankees and Red Sox. To me this rivalry is friendly. I hate Angelos as much as anyone else in the world. I wished for nothing more then a DC baseball team from age 8 to age 18. When I was 12 I officially threw out all of my orioles gear and refused to root for the team again (except when they were playing the Yankees) until a team appeared in DC. Now that we have our team I am content to root for the O's (providing they're playing someone besides the Nats). I savor the games when the two teams play because it provides good natured competition and ribbing without fierce hostility that can be seen during redskins ravens games. One day I hope to see a Nationals vs. Orioles world series, with the Nats coming out on top of course. I only hope that by that time our fans will stay in their seats until the game is over, that they will travel only 50 miles to support their team on the road, and that I can watch a Nationals broadcast that is owned by our team and not another.

I owe my love of baseball to the Orioles, among others. I grew up with BJ Surhoff, Cal Ripken, Tony Torrasco, Mike Timlin, and Brady Anderson. I remember when those players were replaced with the likes of Luis Matos, Mike Bordick, and Geranimo Gil. The orioles introduced me to baseball and for that I thank them, but man it feels good to beat them with a 12 inning walk off bomb!

Posted by: VT Nats Fan | June 30, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Chico - on the Felipe rumors. Did he fly with the team & check into the hotel?

Investigative journalism wins Pulitzers.

Posted by: PTBNL | June 30, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I am sure that the Olympic story was set to run Monday morning, regardless of what happened to the Nats. They have Barry going to China, and he and the other person were doing feature stories on the preparations as part of the coverage.

If I were to have a complaint here, and I can't get too worked up about it, then it would be that there was a picture of DC United celebrating a goal instead of the Nationals celebrating a walk-off homer. The picture of the Nats is bigger, though, which I like.

All-in-all, I'd rather think about tonight's game.

Posted by: Positively Half St | June 30, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"These teams won't play one another 'til 2009"

Well, unless they meet in the World Series.

Hahahahahaha hahahaha hahahaha. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Tee hee ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Posted by: MVM | June 30, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Oh, this is a rivalry, at least on the O's side. Did anybody catch Rick Dempsey's totally classless remarks on O's Xtra postgame? It was beautiful to see and hear his anger--clearly he resents these upstart Nats taking away a huge chunk of the O's fan base. (Probably behind O's Exec's postings too.) Of course, these guys either don't know any baseball history before they were say 5-6 years old or don't care that Clark Griffith and the old Senators were part of MLB long before Bill Hagy was a gleam in his mother's eye. Deal with it, O's fans.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm one of those jerks who roots for both teams, so rivalry? I mean, as far as hating Angelos goes, Baltimore fans have at LEAST as much reason for that as Nats fans. With so much common ground on that front (and mediocre-to-terrible records) it's hard to feel one way or another about it. Of course, I wasn't at the games and didn't have a cathartic sides-choosing moment, either.

Posted by: shekb | June 30, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The preliminaries are over. Now, to see if the Nats can get something done under the Florida sun/moon. If they can squeeze out a series victory down there it could bode well for the 2nd half. GO NATS

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | June 30, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

No rivalry, I just want the Orioles to leave us the hell alone and let us have our team in peace. No "mixed" broadcasts from MASN with the unprofessional weasel named Jim Hunter talking about how cool it would be to steal Guzman in free agency and Don Sutton acting as if he's auditioning to replace Jim Palmer. No "both our area teams" from the likes of Boswell. No side-by-side Baltimore coverage with the Nats in the WASHINGTON Post. Put "Baltimore" back on the Oriole road jerseys and market the team to Towson and York, PA.

The Baltimore Orioles are in the AL East, so wny don't they worry about the Yanks and Sox and their own local fan base like every other major league franchise.

Posted by: Ray | June 30, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

What did Dempsey say?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm late joining the fracas about the O's rivalry, but I do want to pose a question for O's Exec and all the other irritating O's fans out there.

If you're so proud of your Baltimore hometown, why is it that the Orioles are the only Major League team I can think of that doesn't include their city name on their visiting jerseys? Seems like pride in "Baltimore" is relegated to throwback days.

Posted by: Brant Alyea | June 30, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I didn't catch it. What did he say?

Posted by: | June 30, 2008 11:29 AM

Posted by: Pablo | June 30, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm back on the O's road jerseys in '09.

Posted by: "Baltimore" | June 30, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I have lived here my whole life and had the Orioles rammed down my throat as we were blocked from our own franchise. I rooted for the Orioles like an earlier poster said but only because they were the only team around.

It was great to see the air leave the bodies of the orange clad fans with 2 outs and 2 strikes on Ronnie! This was barely better than the sweep I watched in their park last year with mostly Nats fans in attendence

Posted by: 219 | June 30, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

this more of a rivalry of nats fans and angelO's fans against peter the grate, who has ruined one franchise and tried to block another from coming into this area.

Posted by: natsscribe | June 30, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Re Dempsey:

After complaining about the "missed" third strike call on Belliard, a visibly annoyed (red-faced) Dempsey said condescendingly, "Well, we'll give them (Them???!!! you moron--you're broadcasting to both markets) that one. Things are going so badly for them down there, we'll give them that one." Or words to that effect.

Posted by: CapPeterson | June 30, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

During the celebration at home plate, I saw Acta seek out Young and deliberately congratulate him while Belliard was getting mobbed.

Young drew a two-out walk and was the tying run.

But that's just Manny being Manny.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

What Rick Dempsey doesn't realize is that is that the Orioles had more than three decades to become a strong regional franchise like a Boston or a St. Louis and totally blew it. Even with the splendor that is OPACY, people would only come to marvel at the stadium for so long. Lacking a competitive product on the field for the better part of a decade turned fans off despite the stadium and opened the door for the Nats' arrival. Demper is like most ex-players, all he can remember are the glory days when the pre-AngelO's were odds-on favorites to win at least 88 games per season, and sometimes snag the AL East crown. But while the Birds stewed in the juices of ownership and front office misdirection and incompetence them on-field mishmash alienated fans both in Baltimore and Washington. But, of course, Dempsey would never say that on a network whose acronym is Mean Angelos Screws the Nats.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 30, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks flynnie, I actually didn't disappear because of that comment. I didn't even consider it a "flaming" to be honest. It's just tricky because I recently moved, and the time difference is about 6 hours from National Standard Time.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | June 29, 2008 8:04 PM

==========================================

Looks like once again flynnie is wrong. What else is new. Trying to create conflict where there is none.

HAHAHAHA. Take that flynnie.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Chico - today's WaPo is case in point why so many think of the WaPo as a bad baseball newspaper.

An extra inning, walk-off homer against our "anointed" rivals - and the front page of the paper and the sports sections features pictures of a swimmer from Baltimore - covering the Olympic trials - did any of the Nats Spring Training games get above-the-fold, A1 treatment?

Posted by: Sec 114, Row E | June 30, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec made this a rivalry

Posted by: Jason | June 30, 2008 9:59 AM

=========================================

I'm so flattered by this statement.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, for all of you still crying like little babies because "Angelos tried to keep the Expos out" who are you mad at for MLB rewarding teams to Denver, Phoenix, Miami, and Tampa Bay?

Oh that's right, that's Angelos' fault too.

Granted Angelos is a huge douchebag but all of your misguided anger is rather funny.

P.S. The Nats may have taken 2 of 3 from the O's but guess what that still makes them a whopping 17 games UNDER .500.

Holy toledo, batman.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The O's announcers cheering on their team during the broadcast.

Posted by: BRothbart | June 30, 2008 10:14 AM

=========================================

This is a joke right? Yeah, the Nats announcers don't cheer for the Nats during the broadcast. The Yankee and Red Sox announcers don't cheer for their team during the game. The Cubs announcers don't cheer for their team during the game. The White Sox and their "You can put it on the board" announcers don't cheer for their team during the game.

But the bong down buddy. Celebrate one of the few highlights in an otherwise dismal season for the Nats.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"Young drew a two-out walk and was the tying run."

When this happened I said "WOW" very loudly. Bottom of the twelfth, down one, two-outs, you're the closest thing your team has to a slugger and you've been saved precisely for the purpose of belting a ball here.

Raise your hand if you have the patience to take a walk and hand off the job to your teammate. My hand is down.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Point well made, leetee.

That being said, file this one away. Let's hope the same won't be said about the Nationals in 2018.

-----

Even with the splendor that is OPACY, people would only come to marvel at the stadium for so long. Lacking a competitive product on the field for the better part of a decade turned fans off despite the stadium...

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec-

You missed the point about the O's announcers. This broadcast was a Nats home game. We shouldn't have to listen to another team's broadcasters openly rooting for their team on a Washington Nationals broadcast. It would be like John Sterling slobbering over A-Rod during a NY Mets broadcast.

Posted by: Positively Half St | June 30, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Apologies if someone posted this in another NJ thread, but here's a cool NPR story about contributors to a Yankees blog who got together at a minor-league game:

My P-Nats July 4th ticket is bought. Anybody else going? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 30, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

My P-Nats July 4th ticket is bought. Anybody else going? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 30, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brant Alyea | June 30, 2008 11:46 AM

==========================================

Well Brandt, as someone earlier was nice enough to point out, the Orioles will have "Baltimore" on their road uniforms starting next season.

As for the second part of your statement where you say you can't think of any other team in MLB that doesn't have it's city/state on their away jerseys, well I guess you didn't think very hard (or were just looking, desperately, for something to try to "slam" the O's about).

The Tampa Bay Rays, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals, and Milwaukee Brewers also don't have their respective cities on their away uniforms.

Ooops, back to the drawing board I guess. Eh Brant?

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't a Nats broadcast, it was a joint broadcast of both teams. Everyone in DC and Baltimore saw the same broadcast on MASN and MASN2. There wasn't a separate Orioles broadcast.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm going Juan-John. Email me at natsnut@gmail.com if you want.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

However, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, and Milwaukee do feature hats that allude to the home city, however (TB, interwoven STL, and a wheat-underscored M, respectively).

One could argue that the P on Phillies hats stands for Philadelphia, but I think that'd be a losing proposition. I do think that the Angels should be exempted from this dictum, however. It'd be impossible to fit both cities on the jersey.

I think that the reason Angelos chose not to have the city-specific uniform was to bolster his claim that the Orioles were a regional team.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

S506BM: While a bomb by Dmitri would, admittedly, have extended the game, in this case, a walk is just about as good. You need baserunners! And, you can't make an out in that situation. This is why 'I Hate Walks' exists, I suspect. Except in extra innings, I prefer solo homers to walks. Walks turn into multi-run homers, like yesterday.

Kidding aside, the key for Dmitri is to not make an out to end the game. Too many times, if you go up there swinging to tie it all by yourself, you swing at bad pitches and give up the at bat or even strike out to end the game. Moneyball extols the virtues of players who don't make outs.

Posted by: Ira | June 30, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

LOL at O's Exec. Only took 3+ seasons for him to be able to trot out the "better record" argument. 2005-2007 must have been hell for him.

Back to watching him wallow in defensiveness and insecurity, like the rest of the O's fanbase.

Posted by: The Truth | June 30, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

andrew astleford calling the sherrill hr a tragedy was a little bit over the top. youd think an editor would catch that. a tragedy??? ahh no. theres real stuff goin on in the world. a homer aint even on the radar screen of a tragedy. get some perspective dude.

Posted by: dk | June 30, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Oops.

The better move was 1) saving Dmitri for this situation 2) pinch hitting for Wil Nieves in that situation (no chance Sherill IBB's Nieves).

So give Manny his props today. Smart sound game management.

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | June 30, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey said, "Let the Nats fans enjoy it. They've had very little to celebrate down there." Sort of like some creepy troll, can't remember the name:

"Hope taking 2 of 3 from the O's at Nats Park is a highlight for the Nats and the Nats fans in an otherwise very disappointing season."
Posted by: O's Exec | June 29, 2008 5:01 PM
*******************************************
Disappointing to who, O's exec? Don't project your disappointment on the fans of an expansion team that had nothing to trade and just took two out of three from your uninjured A-team. Why don't you come over 3000 miles in your private jet and we can play leggos and make s'mores to celebrate the victory? In the meantime, we Nats fans will luxuriate in the cool of an evening where heavy-set baseball players, Dmitri and Belly, criticized all year long on this blog for not looking like storm-troopers, gave Our Beloved Nats victory before the year's biggest crowd! To throwback, Ruthian players! To the best 3rd baseman in the Dominican-El Tigre de Licey! To Dmitri, the reigning comeback player of the year! To JBerg! To Manny! To Mr. Bowden, who assembled this team! To Our Nats!

Posted by: flynnie | June 29, 2008 5:48 PM

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"Belliard alluded to it in his post game interview . . . Sherill intentionally walked Dmitri. I think even Don Sutton woke up long enough to say that Young was the only guy the O's had to fear in that situation from a tie the game with one swing perspective so walking Young was a good move."

But they didn't JUST intentionally walk him. It was the old intentional unintentional walk. Meat Hook had to hold of swinging and given the needs of this team, that was some powerful resisting he did.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

In honor of the attention-starved, poser-good-sport O's exec, here he is in one of the least gracious moments to ever pollute this Journal.
*******************************************

And guys, not to be the moral compass here, but let's avoid flaming people, even O's fans. I happen to find O's Exec to be pretty witty and funny. Just laugh with some of the inane things he says, and then laugh at him for living in or around Baltimore.

And then really laugh hard because of the owner of that franchise.

I also confess to still following the O's ever-so-slightly (basically until they don't have Roberts or Markakis anymore). You may commence raising my effigies.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | June 13, 2008 4:16 PM
*****************************************

Thanks for sticking up for me buddy, pal. Wanna come over tonight and make smores or play legos?

However, I do live about 3000 miles west of Baltimore. You got your own personal plane right?

Posted by: O's Exec | June 13, 2008 5:46 PM

And, in the best practice of O's exec, the essence of NattyDelite's response:

Thanks flynnie, . . .For the record, I too dig lego's and smores. Although I'm not sure how long that would hold up if I was doing them with O's Exec...

Posted by: NattyDelite! | June 29, 2008 8:04 PM

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday's score,3-2, bottom of the 12th, blown save by Sherrill, Nats take 2 out of 3 in the series. Did I get that right? Loved Belliard spitting at Sherrill, admiring the home-run halfway down the baseline, and then the Dominican mayhem at the plate! Just loved it!

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"So now seems like the time to ask: Do you consider Washington-Baltimore a rivalry?"

Some of the fans seem to be starting to try.

The players never have, up to now. They might be starting, but now they won't see each other until next April, and that'll be preseason, tuneup games, so any sparks there might be won't get fanned. Belliard may well not still be here by then. Given natsluck, any collection of players on this roster may not be playing then.

Posted by: Elwood, from retirement . | June 30, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, is the timestamp thing out again??

Posted by: WTAB | June 30, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Nats fans, I think we have a lot to look forward to:

"It doesn't seem to me that there's any complicated formula to building an expansion team. . . You go for young players and understand it's going to take time. . . [They] get their brains beat out early in the season, [and are] doing fine now."
Jim Bouton, Ball 4, August 23, last paragraph (1970)

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

flynnie, I notice I don't see you addressing that fake controversy you tried to get going yesterday. Especially since it was shot down by the guy on your side.

hehehehehehehehehehhe

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, so what is your alls double-standard excuse for the Nats having record attendance numbers this weekend?

Cause it must have nothing to do with the BALTIMORE ORIOLES being in town, now does it?

hehehehehehehehhe

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he meant it in the dramatic sense, as a narrative depiction of the breakdown of order.
__________

Posted by: dk | June 30, 2008 1:26 PM

Posted by: Just a guess | June 30, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Nats fans, I think we have a lot to look forward to:

"It doesn't seem to me that there's any complicated formula to building an expansion team."

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 1:48 PM

===================================

That'd be an excellent point flynnie, if the Nats had actually been an EXPANSION team.

Too bad they aren't.

hehehehehehehe, wrong again. But than again, when are you ever right?

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 1:41 PM

=========================================

Just like you love having players on your team who smack women around, have sex with underage women, and also choke women.

You stay classy, flynnie.

Meanwhile your precious "expansion" team is 17 games under .500 while the feathery fists of fury from Baltimore sit 2 games over .500.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, to be fair, the O's fans have to have somewhere to come to see the game. They obviously won't go to Camden much.

Posted by: Just sayin | June 30, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, flynnie's point was about building a team from the ground up, "expansion" was Bouton's word. No one then imagined the circumstances here. As an expansion team they would have had far more assets to start, so I think flynnie gets (or "get's" as you might say) this one.

Posted by: You lost. | June 30, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

and flynnie, quit poking the corpse.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

IMO, all of this hostility (on both sides) stems from:
1. Scarcity of baseball fans. Let's face it, this Balt/Wash area is pretty weak in this department. For instance, there are only slight twinges of football-related animosity, but nothing like this O's/Nats (or Nats/O's) debate.
2. General frustration about constantly losing. There is so much anxst on both sides, which I feel seems from our dissatisfaction of our respective on-the-field products. What happens when both teams suck? We argue about which sucky team is better. Why? Largely because we're bored and frustrated.
3. Feelings that other fans are turn-coats. O's fans feel that Nats fans (who grew up watching the O's) should remain O's fans. Nats fans show resentment towards fans living in and around DC who still prefer the O's. IMO, we should start supporting each other and hating teams who deserve scorn, like the yankees, red sox, and cubs.
4. "O" during the national anthem. For the O's fans who do this at Nats Park (when the O's aren't playing), this is similar to Boston fans who start "Let's go Red Sox" at Camden Yards when you're playing the Rays. It makes no sense and is annoying.

I have very fond memories of the O's from growing up, but I enjoy being able to metro/walk to games and I also like the style of National league baseball. But I have no animosity.

Posted by: 756* | June 30, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had another argument besides the 2008 records. Maybe I can distract them and make them think I'm cool by telling them I smoked weed at a 311 concert!

Posted by: O's Exec's Conscience | June 30, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Angelos sucks!
Lerners suck!

Posted by: 756* | June 30, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay, alternate topic:

When Kearns comes off his rehab, who goes down. Waah, waah, Wily Mo sux, blah, blah, blah. Okay, now back to thinking about it rationally and objectively, who gets the ax?

1. New Guy (in keeping with the spirit of i hate walks experience) because he has options, assuming no one else can clear waivers.
2. WMP, even if it means trading him or accepting cash. (Bonus points to anyone who can come up with something original)
3. Orr, even if it means trading him or accepting cash.
4. Write-in
5. Just keep Kearns on the max 20 days of rehabbing, someone else is bound to get hurt.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period.

Posted by: Rafael Palmeiro | June 30, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

A ghf argument might be these are 3 players who have quit doing that. No one is in favor of them continuing to do that. Redemption is good. c.f. Luke 15, IIRC.

------------
Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 1:58 PM

Posted by: not that I took that to be your point | June 30, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I used steroids, but they never found out!

Posted by: Brian Roberts | June 30, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Steroids? That was B-12, mang!

And while half our team then was on ster...B-12, we still sucked!

Posted by: Miguel Tejada | June 30, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Nice post 756* although I couldn't care less what Nats fans jumped ship from the O's. However I have found your statement "Nats fans show resentment towards fans living in and around DC who still prefer the O's" to be right on the money when it comes to discussing alot of Nats fans. Like all the ones who cry about The Post still covering the O's.

Good post though. And yes right now the O's do suck less. How sweet it is.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Orioles?

More like OriLOLes.

Posted by: Section 138 | June 30, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"But Angelos DID NOT stop MLB from giving Denver, Phoenix, Tampa Bay, and Miami baseball teams before moving the Expos to DC."

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"The other thing I don't get (as I've previously mentioned) is the hatred towards Angelos. Okay, I do get it because the guy is a huge douchebag. But Angelos DID NOT stop MLB from giving Denver, Phoenix, Tampa Bay, and Miami baseball teams before moving the Expos to DC."

Angelos did his best in the mid-90s, but then absolutely gave up shortly thereafter giving us great joy then ineffable woe.

Posted by: 756* | June 30, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh that's right, that's Angelos' fault too.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 12:38 PM
___________________________________________

So O's Exec, you don't think that Angelos, an attorney, who made millions on law suits, threatening law suits on MLB if they awarded a franchise to Washington had anything to do with those decisions?

Of course it did.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | June 30, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

i don't think most intelligent people think angelos single-handedly prevented MLB from putting a team in DC while franchises were awarded in denver, ariz, tampa, and miami. but i also think it's naive to pretend that he didn't work hard to influence those decisions and protect what he saw as his territory in DC. so while it wasn't *all* him, it certainly was at least partially due to his influence.

and i think many baseball fans (whether nats fans or not) were insulted by his comment that "there are no *REAL* baseball fans in washington."

Posted by: 231 | June 30, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"The thinking is that teams would have not gone to Denver, Phoeniz, Tampa Bay, and Miami before DC if Angelos hadn't objected. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that this is true, but the negotiations were, of course, secret."

ummm... Angelos bought the O's in 1993. The expansion that brought teams to Miami and Denver was announced in 1991.

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | June 30, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Plan for today: rip on Angelos, throw in a big "but" and try to sound smart, cite the 2008 records again.

Posted by: O's Exec's Conscience | June 30, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't have any enmity towards the Orioles (and I do their Bird is cute). Since I started paying attention to baseball approx 4 years ago, I came to dislike Angelos' way of running his team into the ground. It's nice to see MacPhail start to turn things around. But, it was also very nice to get a win yesterday, at home, and to shut up the cheering Os fans. (And it was even sweeter when Ryan Z hit his walkoff against the Yanks the first season to shut up those very numerous and loud Yankees fans at RFK.)

Posted by: samantha7 | June 30, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say, "feathery fists of fury" is pretty funny, O's Exec. BTW, in case this hasn't been mentioned, I was told that Manny and Dave Trembley both had very nice things to say on the radio about each other's team after yesterday's game.

Posted by: Section 109 | June 30, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

How about you stop beating me and comment on the 506(bm) post ( who is going down?) -- AND how about we dfa FLOP? Our clubhouse is going to need a revolving door soon. Really - let go of the old, tired subject and think about something new - it won't hurt , I promise.

Posted by: deadhorse | June 30, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! I made a Nats fan laugh with one of my funnies. I think I'll stick around longer.

Posted by: O's Exec's Conscience | June 30, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I second answering my question! It really is a bit of an interesting dilemma, unless you're a knee-jerker, in which case it's only a question of can we ditch two players instead of one.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, New Guy is the most likely to be sent down. Kearns is serviceable in center, and Dukes might get a chance there as well. New Guy has options. That's easy math.

However, the team has basically been playing injury musical chairs all season. When the music stops, the guy without a chair goes on the DL. While the team would probably benefit from a Kearns callup, don't be surprised if Bowden waits an extra game or two for someone to come up limping.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

(I haven't yet read all of today's comments, but wanted to toss this in for now.)

My dad and I attended Sunday's splendid contest. Had such a great time that he actually came back to my house afterward so we could watch the entire 12th inning again (I taped it; he didn't). I don't really have anything to add in that regard. What I'd like to say is that, thanks to reading this blog and its comments, I was able to ...

a) better know who is on the Nats' roster and who would be available to pinch-hit, -field, or -run, as needed.

b) know who Roger Bernadina is, and actually have seen him on TV, thanks to hearing about the recent broadcast of the Harrisburg/Reading game.

c) speculate that Felipe Lopez might be on punishment, thus explaining his limited role on Sunday. (It may or may not have been *true*, but unfounded guessing is always fun.)

d) refer to the season-long series as the Gladys Noon Spellman Cup -- a name that my dad and I both really hope will catch on.

So thanks, y'all.

My contribution to actual discussion: in Friday's game, Wily Mo twice grounded out to third, both times sharply pulling the ball. Sunday's second-inning single was similarly yanked. According to his splits on b-r (I didn't know they had such detailed splits till reading this blog's comments), his stats over the last 14 days are quite nice. 14 days mean nothing, of course, but it's just something I noticed.

Posted by: Scooter | June 30, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Chico,

Do beat writers no longer travel with the team? Is this normal these days?

Posted by: jindc | June 30, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

"Wily Mo twice grounded out to third, both times sharply pulling the ball."

That's pretty much his standard approach at the plate. Ground an outside fastball to 3rd base. It would work nicely if the defense used a left-handed shift against him, but then again, he'd probably try to go the other way with an inside fastball.

Posted by: 756* | June 30, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

On top of Kearnsie coming back, who is going down to make room for Balester? Unless I'm missing something, we're at 25 right now even after Hill went on the DL.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but I have: Jason Bergmann, John Lannan,Tim Redding, Odalis Pérez, Luis Ayala, Jesús Colomé, Charlie Manning, Saúl Rivera, Joel Hanrahan, Steven Shell, JOn Rauch, Jesús Flores, Wil Nieves, Paul Lo Duca, Ronnie Belliard,Aaron Boone, Cristian Guzmán, Felipe López, Pete Orr, Dmitri Young, Roger Bernadina,Elijah Dukes, Willie Harris, Kory Casto, Wily Mo Peña.
What am I missing??

Posted by: Section 138 | June 30, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

At the end of the game yesterday, Sutton said it would be un-American not to not have enjoyed the weekend. Yesterday was, as you put it, splendid.

Regarding Lopez, I was wondering how much was punishment, how much was rewarding Harris for his play of late, and how much was what I like to call reverse-showcasing.

I mean, if the Orioles are interested in Lopez, it would stand to reason that seeing him commit four errors in the series might sour McPhail on the young infielder.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

To the poster who asked about beat writers not travelling with the team now: from their comments during broadcasts, I think Charlie and Dave travel with the team. I think they're regarded as part of the team's marketing arm as well as being the radio broadcasters. I remember comments from Barry Svrluga on here about his travelling separately from the team. The beat writers are independent of the team.

Posted by: samantha7 | June 30, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Good catch, 138.

At risk:

Orr, Casto, Pena, Nieves, I would guess.

Manning's left hand protects him. Don't I wish Colome was at risk, but we need that extra arm in the bullpen.

Crazy hunch: Casto gets it. I don't see them changing their minds about who he is as a player and he's an outfielder.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday, Chico wrote: "Given the latest -- Lasting Milledge's injury and DL trip -- here is what Manny Acta has decided.

* Roger Bernadina will be given every chance to play regularly in center field and bat leadoff."

This does not have the sound of being sent back down. Front office also says they will take a long look at Colin Ballester, even if he pitches badly at first. Has Trader Jim got something a'borning?

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Also posted by Chico a few days back (6/28):
* Once Kearns returns to the team, by the way, Manny Acta said that Elijah Dukes will move to left field. "He's a natural in the outfield; he can play anywhere," Acta said. "He's not even picky about that."
So, could Bernadina be safe with that scenario? Casto/WMP would seem to be the odd men out, but I can't see WMP going. I could see PLOD, but I fear Nieves would go before they would just eat his $5MM.
As for the pitcher..who has options left? Manning/Shell? 506 (before moving) is right about Manning's left arm. It just happens to be the only one in the bullpen! (On a side note, I'm so happy with his LOOGY performance vs. Ray King's. To be fair, however, Manny didn't use Kinger as a LOOGY a lot of times, though.)

I guess Shell makes room for Balester, and Casto for Kearns.

Posted by: Section 138 | June 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Probably, but you send Shell down and you have a smaller bullpen, something the team doesn't need. Which brings us back to Pete Orr.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I went back and re-read the same line, flynnie, and I think you're right. 506 is probably on to something with Casto. Obviously, he and Orr are similar types of players, with Orr getting the nod due to his speed and his ability to play other infield positions.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"That's pretty much his standard approach at the plate. Ground an outside fastball to 3rd base."

I had thought Wily Mo wasn't getting around that well, but a check of his hit chart shows that most of his groundouts are indeed to the left side, just as one would expect. Right you are, 756*.

Posted by: Scooter | June 30, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I believe the radio guys are employed by the team, so they travel with the team. Not sure if that's the same for the TV guys, since their paychecks are probably cut by MASN. The newspaper writers travel separately so that no questions can be raised about the team paying for their travel.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

If you asked me the media are far too concerned with the appearance of impropriety at the expense of actual, you know, news reporting.

But that's a Howard Kurtz issue.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I think 506 answered his own question - Casto's the clear choice for Kearns and probably Shell for Balester - having 7 relievers is a nice thing (especially with our high burn rate), but isn't completely necessary.

I'm thinking the Lopez thing may have just been a Rosenthal rumor.

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | June 30, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

What I never understood was why the Orioles would need a ss/2b in the final few months of his contract. Maybe closer to trade deadline if Roberts goes.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

If it is Shell, I'll sure miss him and his pink backpack as he heads to the clubhouse after the game.

Posted by: Section 138 | June 30, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I have the impression that Bernadina stays until Milledge comes back. Period. I would say Casto goes down just because he has options, not because he's got anything over Orr.

In fact, I'd almost say, options aside, Casto would win out over Orr just because he's coming from our own system. You know, give 'em every chance, patience, etc.

I doubt very seriously Nieves is in any kind of danger.

But then there's always Pena and the waiver wire (could be happening as we speak); a Lopez or LoDuca trade for PTBNL or cash; or another injury.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

That's a rookie thing, right? I saw a Twins pitcher - Bass, I think - casually sporting the pink backback during the Nats series.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the need for an independent press is overrated.

Posted by: cheney | June 30, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree. During the broadcast yesterday, several different announcers made the blunder of proclaiming the Nationals had no backup catcher in the dugout after Flores was used as a pinch hitter. Nieves has edged out LoDuca on the depth chart, for sure.

-----

I doubt very seriously Nieves is in any kind of danger.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 4:22 PM

-----------------

Yeah, sounds a lot like generic rookie hazing to me.

Posted by: five4f | June 30, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

At the baseball clinic at the ballpark the other day, Corrales said all the TV and radio folk travel with the team, including Debbie Taylor.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, 138, Balester will probably have a "My Little Pony" one.

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | June 30, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"But then there's always Pena and the waiver wire (could be happening as we speak)"

I would guess that he's already been pulled back from waivers. Any idiot would have tried to send him to the minors by now, and - despite the feelings of a number of our posters - I don't think Bowden possesses any sort of special or unique idiocy.

"That's a rookie thing, right?"

As I recall, Maxwell, Chico and Detwiler had to wear backpacks last year.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Good one, JiM.
_____________________

"Not sure about the idea of trading LoDuca or Lopez for PTBNL. NJ should hold out for more if we're going to give up one of our best posters."

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 4:25 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's another question, since it looks like we're leaning towards Casto taking the bus home:

You have the ability to DFA one of the following players:

1. Wily Mo Pena
2. Lo Duca
3. Lopez

Who do you pick? Haters, take your stand!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, I LOVED that we pulled a kid up from AA ball (Bernadina). I imagine him working his heart out, thinking he's got another year or two before he's even considered. The big leagues were probably still just a fuzzy possibility, and then BAM, within a few hours he's actually there. It must have been such a rush for him yesterday.

AAA guys are that much closer so they are probably a little more mentally prepared and just ready and itching to come up. Not that AA guys aren't itching either, but there's probably a much bigger element of surprise at that leve. AA callups are just way cool. That is all.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

506,
I'll bite. Easy. Wily Mo. Not a hater, just pragmatic.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

generally speaking, the real talent is mostly at AA. the very best players don't spend a lot of time at AAA (if any) unless they're blocked in the major leagues.

Posted by: 231 | June 30, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | June 30, 2008 2:36 PM

==========================================

Ssssshhhh. Some on here don't like having factual evidence presented to them.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

That's an interesting assertion.

If he's been pulled back from waivers, then some team out there made a claim. Pulling him back would signify 1) that Bowden isn't willing to part with him for nothing, and 2) a trade with the team that claimed him could not be finalized.

Either of these possibilities lead to interesting discussions. What role would a AAA-assigned Pena have in this organization's future? What does Bowden consider fair compensation for WMP? Heck, what team has the roster space to take a hack at Veinte y Seis, and what does that team's hitting coach see that Harris doesn't?

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Really, NatsNut? I pinned you for a Lo Duca cutter. He'd be my choice, because he has almost zero up-side at this point in his career. Wily Mo could be a late bloomer, though unlikely, while Lo Duca doesn't even have age on his side.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'd pick LoDuca.

Because I really, really dislike the guy.

It's why I should never be in the position to make these kinds of decisions.

NatsNut is right, though. WMP is the pragmatic choice, right? He's had a few chances, and it hasn't worked out. I agree that LoDuca probably has less to offer overall (did I mention I don't like him?), but that's a lot of salary to eat.

In terms of trade value, do you see WMP having the potential to bring more in than LoDuca?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

JiM, here's my working theory. It probably needs some help.

"What role would a AAA-assigned Pena have in this organization's future?"

The same role he is functioning in at the majors now. Hoping that something clicks based on the siren song that we saw last year.

"Heck, what team has the roster space to take a hack at Veinte y Seis?"

One of the other hopeless NL cellar dwellers. If you're a GM how would you be able to resist taking a crack at a guy with as much potential, who clearly isn't performing. At the very worst, you offer next to nothing and get turned down, forcing Bowden to pull him back.

"What does that team's hitting coach see that Harris doesn't?"

He thinks that Harris isn't very good, perhaps, and he could at least make a better try at it.

What do you think?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

506,
I'll bite. Easy. Wily Mo. Not a hater, just pragmatic.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 4:39 PM
****************************************
Affirmed. On top of his hitting not coming around, he's really limited to just one position, as well. At least Flop and LoDu give the team options. LF/SS/2B and LF/CA/1B respectively.

Posted by: Section 138 | June 30, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Interesting, I just saw this posted on The DC Sports Bog....

"The Orioles this year have outdrawn the Nationals among D.C.-area TV viewers, with the Orioles' averaging a 0.8 rating on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network -- co-owned by the Nationals and the Orioles -- in D.C. so far this season. That's up 60 percent from last season and now surpasses the Nationals' average local rating of 0.5, down from a 0.7 last year."

Hmmmmmm........

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Nah. Like I said awhile back, LoDuca's earned a little respect from me.

I fall short of sympathizing or liking the guy, but I do have a little respect for him for several reasons. And he actually, ahem, caught several fly balls in LF on Saturday.

I'm being facetious of course. WMP isn't THAT bad, but he's sure not making his mark.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 30, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg is trolling for us to hit the SportsBog again:

"Of course, it's possible that Washington fans express their abiding love for the Nats via the radio dial, Internet broadcasts, Strat-o-matic or silent meditation at home in front of a shrine of Dmitri Young bobbleheads, but they don't seem to be expressing it via television viewership. Or WaPo clicks, for that matter."

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Remember, condescension is EVERYTHING. Also, don't, don't, DON'T reference anything about ANYTHING before 2008...I can't open that door. Just pretend it never happened. These rubes will never know the difference.

Posted by: O's Exec's Conscience | June 30, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Good question 506!

I think I hit Lo Duca. Personal feelings aside I view it this way:

WMP: LF (ONLY) Poor Fielding, Low Average, Massive Power Potential (which the organization lacks) and Big Papi, who is similarly structured, was a late bloomer as well.

Lopez: 2B/SS (LF if needed) Low Average, Middling Power (circa 2004), Poor Fielding, Clubhouse Cancer, Effort Issues YET still garners trade interest in the dreams of Ken Rosenthal.

Lo Duca: C (and please never again LF), Low average, low power, terrible arm, low fielding pct., calls poor games, no reported interest, body falling apart after steroids, history of being capable in good lineups (ie not ours) history of winning (which is not our thing right this moment).

Perhaps I colored it a little with personal conjecture, but them's the cards I see.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | June 30, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"One of the other hopeless NL cellar dwellers."

maybe he'd be better with an AL cellar dweller. at least then he could DH and only sabotage the offense, not the defense as well...

Posted by: 231 | June 30, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg also calls Belliard's home run celebration "childish." Steinberg is shallow, but I guess that goes with his e-territory. Belliard's home run celebration was an act of defiance against Tony LaRussa and everyone else who said that he was damaged goods not worth keeping, even after he helped the Cardinals win the World Series. It was manly, violent, declarative, emphatic, and loaded with adrenaline after a masterful game-winning at bat. Belliard made sure that Manny was included - Manny, who expressed confidence in him in the pinch. Belliard's celebration told the world, "I'm still a force - my manager knows it, my at bat shows it!" but words are too weak to capture such an intense, distilled scream, compact as his swing, that he is not a piece of junk. Complicated, but not at all childish.

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"maybe he'd be better with an AL cellar dweller."

But they can't claim him on waivers. But you're right.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 30, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg is a douche. Ronnie Baseball 4 Lyfe!

Posted by: Ronnie! Ronnie! Ronnie! | June 30, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec is clicking plenty to represent Nats fans on Nationals Journal. Thanks for helping the virtual cause, buddy!

Posted by: Nats Exec | June 30, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm still a force - my manager knows it, my at bat shows it!"

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:11 PM

==========================================

Hmmmmm, really how much of a "force" can you be when the only team that will sign you is the Washington Nationals. And when said team signs you it's not even to a major league deal, it's to a minor league one.

Wow, what a force!

You keep pimping your boy there flynnie. Good for you.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Can Lopez first: that attitude is terminal and affects everything he does.

Wily Mo next for lack of fielding, lack of positions, lack of hitting. He tries, though. Poor guy. That said, there are numerous reasons the Sox didn't see a need for him.

I don't think Nieves is going anywhere except with this team. He's out of options and would be claimed on waivers. The team likes him and he's done very well, and he has a pistol for an arm. LoDuca is obviously the odd catcher out and, to his credit, he knows it.

Posted by: samantha7 | June 30, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

ummmm, what's a "backback"? That's not a Brokeback joke, is it?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 4:22 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Manny Ramirez shoved George Costanza's Boss to the ground!
from mlb.com: Manny apologizes for shoving
Ramirez reportedly pushed traveling secretary to floor
"According to a report in the Providence Journal, Ramirez pushed long-time team traveling secretary Jack McCormick to the floor in the visitors clubhouse in Houston this past weekend following a spat over a ticket request."

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Just my guess, but I think the move when the Nats activate Balester is to drop a position player rather than Shell. He's been effective. 7 man bullpens are the norm in the NL, last I checked. We'll need some support in case Balester has problems adjusting to the majors.

They are saying Kearns active by the next series? My guess is that they try to deal Lopez before then. Failing that, Casto and LoDuca are kind of being used the same way (PH, LF, 1B, with Casto playing 3d, too). Both I think are contact hitters. Sounds like Casto goes before Lo Duca, if not when Balester is brought up, then when Kearns is.

WMP? In all the speculation about whether he has been waived and claimed, doesn't his contract contain a big disincentive for anyone grabbing him? Doesn't he have a player option at $2 million for next year? If he is waived, can he refuse assignment and still get his money for this year and next? Or must he accept assignment to Columbus?

Posted by: PTBNL (not gone yet) | June 30, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Between Peña, Lopez, and LoDuca, gotta be WMP. Lopez is the only real backup SS, and LoDuca is the second-and-a-half catcher. Guzzie could, G-d forbid, go down anytime, as anyone could, and if Flores or Nieves gets hurt, you have no backup. Outfielders who can't hit or catch the ball, otoh, are plentiful and cheap.

Posted by: CE | June 30, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats Exec | June 30, 2008 5:13 PM

=========================================

Oh please, if it wasn't for me and my usual, comical anecdotes, you know this blog wouldn't be as fun as it is.

Just admit it, atleast 50% of you wake up everyday wondering "Boy I wonder what O's Exec is going to say today."

I'm a god amongst men.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

CE's reasoning makes a lot of sense (and the comment about outfielders is pretty funny).

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, we know O's Exec has a sense of humor.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I think I can! I think I can! I think I can claim Wily Mo once if he is waived through the NL. I think any player waived goes through his league first and then goes through the other before he can be sent down. Of course, he's not DH'ng ahead of Billy Butler or Milton Bradley / Marlon Byrd. Maybe north of the border, eh?

Posted by: AL Cellar dweller | June 30, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, we know O's Exec has a sense of humor.

Posted by: Or delusions of grandeur. | June 30, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Belliard is enough a force to bang zoom your big, wide grill-hole O, Boy! Bottom of the 12th, 0-2, walk-off! Sure tastes sweet!

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Somewhat overwritten, flynnie, as is your style, gby, but in the main exactly right.
I (and my wife, fwiw) saw that look as from a guy who knows he's done most of his best work already, and was 0-for-13 going into that AB, as "OK, ONE for FOURTEEN. How do you like me NOW?"
Baseball is predicated on failure, and scorn in the face of mortality is appropriate.

***************

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:11 PM

Posted by: CE | June 30, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Belliard helped STL to its first World Series Championship since 1982, starting 14 of 16 post-season games at 2B after being acquired from CLE in exchange for INF Hector Luna, July 30, 2006. In the postseason: Hit .240 (12-for-50) with 4 RBI and 2 steals in 14 games in first career post-season experience . He went combined 12-for-38 (.316)in the NLDS and NLCS.

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I really should pick nits with a regular blogger and try to be as smug as possible. While I'm at it, I gotta get some digs in on the player that just sent us home a loser. God forbid they figure out we signed Alex Cintron to a minor league deal and started him twice this weekend at shortstop. Shortstop! Good God. Hope they don't figure that one out. He's been starting for us for awhile now? Crap.

I should probably mention the 2008 records again.

Posted by: O's Exec's Conscience | June 30, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

OK, so we're agreed: we like Belli.
We're split, and maybe not evenly, on emotional macho celebrations.

Posted by: our story thus far | June 30, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

geez, Conscience is getting to be as big a trollturd and the original.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

" 'maybe he'd be better with an AL cellar dweller.'

But they can't claim him on waivers."

Yes they can. When a player gets put on waivers, every other team in MLB gets a shot at claiming him, in order from worst record to best.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 30, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

" 'maybe he'd be better with an AL cellar dweller.'

But they can't claim him on waivers."

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 30, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

as the original.

Posted by: Correction | June 30, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:31 PM

======================================

Oh man, you almost had all the facts straight. But, almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grennades. If I remember correctly, the count was 1-2, not 0-2.

Keep trying though flyn, soon enough you'll have a post that is 100% factual.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Nah, I like the Conscience. Funnier than the original, to be sure.

Posted by: samantha7 | June 30, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to think flynnie is somehow related to Belliard. Flyn, next time you see Ronnie at a family function tell him I said "Hello."

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Nah, I like the Conscience. Funnier than the original, to be sure.

Posted by: samantha7 | June 30, 2008 5:48 PM

==============================

Come talk to me when O's Exec Conscience has opened up for Paulie Shore and Tommy Chong.

Yeah, buuuuuuuuuddy.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Horseshoes, hand grenades, and your relationship with the English language.

***********

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 5:46 PM

Posted by: you lost. you always lose. | June 30, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

While strolling through
This Baseball Blog
To savor victory,
A rare,come-from-behind,
Heroic win, A once-in-a-lifetime find!
Seeking fellow feeling and comradarie
What did I smell, then see?
Upon my shoe
While strolling through
Before all the Nat's Nation,
Was O's Exec's
Strained little wreck
Of insane blovination!

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

You say that like it's a bad thing. Got issues with color, eh?

********

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 5:48 PM

Posted by: you lose. | June 30, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Or fetid blovination.

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

He seems to have issues with most everything.

Flynnie had a nice poem there.

Posted by: O's Exec's Ex-Wife | June 30, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I really need to keep pounding away at this small, insignificant stuff with flynnie as long as I can. But I need something else, and quick...

I know! I can start namedropping and being vague and make these clowns think I'm actually really important. They already know I live in southern California. God, I'm good.

Posted by: O's Exec's Conscience | June 30, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I think it was an act of defiance against that orange-clad Orioles fan with the white fro behind home plate. His reaction to the non-strike was so emphatic, I'm sure Belly's reaction was directed at him.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpl | June 30, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

ooooooo, "fevid blovination"!! I like that.

Posted by: He lost | June 30, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey, only I can use the term bloviate or any variation thereof.

Posted by: Bill O'Reilly | June 30, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Two strikes, two outs, thuhhhh pitch, it is long, it is far, it is a walk-off home run for Ronnie Belliard! Nats Win! Nats Win! 3-2!! 2 out of 3!!!

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Tonight we face a real team with all the wealth of talent that trading Beckett, Dontrelle, and Cabrerra can buy. These games against the Marlins are a real test. Go Nats!

Posted by: flynnie | June 30, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Advantage flynnie, and Nats (the latter since 2006 in re. the O's).

Posted by: Nats Exec | June 30, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I honestly don't know how much lower WMP's stock can fall.

When Bowden took a flier on him last season, I think he paid a fair price to give him a shot. After his misadventures on offense and defense for a basement team, it's hard to imagine another team giving up much to put up with the same growing pains.

But for free - or at a price even more reduced than the one Bowden paid - you might be right. This lineup, this hitting coach, this environment - none of them are helping WMP succeed. Perhaps there is a GM who wouldn't mind inheriting this project.

After all, that GM could attempt to sign him to a minor-league deal next season. Some time with a creative hitting coach may help him snap out of it. An offensively powerful Pena makes up for a defensively suspect LF.

-----

What do you think?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 30, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"And with that exciting walk off homerun by Belliard it brings the Nats current season record to a respectable 33-50. That's right fans, you're Nats are only 17 games under .500, 11 games out of 1st place in the NL East, and only 14 games out of the NL Wildcard. Wow what an exciting day, what an exciting season, and what an exciting team."

Posted by: O's Exec | June 30, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'm going to go watch Belli's walk-off and celebration again. P-south

Posted by: The truth hurts, especiallly when you aren't the one telling it. | June 30, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Nats.com is reporting that Chad Cordero will undergo surgery for his torn right labrum and will be out as long as 12-18 months. If JimBow hadn't overpriced his closer on the trade market, this would be some other team's problem. Now, he and the team are stuck with the dreaded natsluck trifecta - Cordero is of no use to the Nats, he wasn't traded for any assets to bolster the farm system and this could be some other team's problem if he had been traded.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 30, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Ow. More bad news.

Posted by: samantha7 | June 30, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

"Won-Loss records are important to shallow people. The real truth in baseball is in the drama, the human struggle for meaning against inevitable mortality, and our defiance of entropy, of physics, and of the gods themselves. That's why this is the greatest sport there ever could be, the perfect allegory for life itself. If Rome had baseball, the Empire would still be in power today."

Posted by: Cicero | June 30, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

But, honestly, not unexpected.

Do other teams underreport injuries as much as this one does?

Posted by: samantha7 | June 30, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and You Lost.

Posted by: Cicero, again | June 30, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Even I know you lost, and I've got a lot of [stuff] going on.

Posted by: Hu Jintao | June 30, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"if Rome HAD had baseball..."
Subjunctive mood, past tense.

Posted by: Pre-emptive grammar thingie | June 30, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

It's not uncommon, Samantha.
And sometimes, they just don't know right away.

Posted by: CE | June 30, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I said it when they first announced the injury: I'm **really** gonna miss "Hail to the Chief" on Charlie & Dave.

Posted by: CE | June 30, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

It's the Curse of the Bobbleheads.

Posted by: samantha7 | June 30, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 30, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

anyone there want to chat with a girl who likes sports? Let's mingle here at +++++(((((((-----u k i n t e r r a c i a l m a t c h . c o m------)))))))+++, where many black and white singles who want to meet and seek fun & love seriously! Join us to begin our connect!

Posted by: Maggie | July 1, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

My best team of MLB is The Baltimore Orioles . This why I always fallow their games especially whenever I have some time. I'm always trying not o miss any of their game and hear about the team's news. But The Baltimore Orioles tickets get more pricy especially when there are some hot games. But, if we're really good fans we should try not to be mean when we're talking about a favourite teams. It's not only the Orioles tickets that got pricy, but there are other major teams too, so the team needs our support and we should provide as much as we can.

Posted by: Ashley | July 7, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse