Yesterday's news, today's lineups

I'll leave the choice to you. Rehash the miseries of last night, or check out the latest lineup. The Nats are 4-4 on this road trip.

Washington

Kubel - DH
Young - 7
Buscher - 5
Harris - 6
(Perkins - 1)

By Chico Harlan  |  June 19, 2008; 12:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Odds, ends, canned goods
Next: The minor league report, and a quick game report

Comments

Dang, newposted.

Man, last night was tough. So many aggravations - too many to list, in fact.

I stayed through all eight and a half innings of terrible baseball. It was a hard thing to do. I know we're looking toward 2011, but it's hard to see past the 11-2.

I'm glad I don't run a professional sports team, because last night I would have pulled a Minaya and fired someone at midight. It's frustrating to watch such a dismal performance knowing there will be no repurcussions, no visible corrective action taken. Just me, walking home, miserable.

But baseball is nothing if not forgiving. It's a new day, there's a new pitcher, and I'm pretty sure he won't have to face Mauer (and the .750 OBP he's posted this series). I'm going to grab a beer and a scorecard - my first attempt at it - and enjoy the day.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 19, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Double dang. Mauer's playing.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 19, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

2011 talk again....go back and read the Plan V 1.0 and it says 2008 is going to be competitive 2009 ready to win the division.....someone has to keep track of this scope creep......Someone has be held accountable for missed benchmarks. I vote for Jimbo, Lenny Harris, Tim Tolman all fired this year...and Acta traded for prospects from the Mets. That could put us back on track for 2009, but 2011...that is just giving up even trying to build a team.

Posted by: JayB | June 19, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I like the lineup. Flores gets the day-game-after-night-game seat on the bench, probably the right move after wearing the collar last night. Also AB at 3 and Belly at 5 should help the D. Now if only WMP can find a way to break out.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 19, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Look on the bright side, John. You're on your way to a baseball game. I, for one, am jealous.

Oh, and good luck keeping score. Good move starting with AL games... double switches are a real pain.

Posted by: 3434 | June 19, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

JayB, I agree that there has been some Plancreep. For ever player we've gained (Flores, Milledge, Dukes, Lannan), another one has taken a step back, or at least failed to take a step forward (Nick, Kearns, Lopez, Patterson). The Plan 1.0 had Patterson as a #1 starter, Lopez and Kearns as borderline all-stars, and a .400 OBP Nick. If we had that, plus the young guys we have brought up, plus a healthy Zimmerman, then we might be two free agents away from contending. Unfortunately, things haven't gone as Planned. Hence, Plan 2.0, which involves the draft. The Lerners took over in mid-2006, after the draft that year. That means that the 2007 draft was the first year in which we were allowed to draft and pay guys over slot, without signability issues. We had a lot of picks, and signed them all, hence the jump up to the 9th best farm system in the majors. But it's going to take 3-5 years for those guys to get here, meaning, 2010-12. Now, I've been a Planista all along, but I have to admit that with the carnage we've endured this season, some free agent reinforcements may be in order. I'm still opposed to any Soriano-type contracts, but I'm intrigued by Teixeira (since he's only 28), and I would certainly look at guys like Hudson and Furcal (if healthy) and see if we could sign them for reasonable contracts, both in terms of length and dollars.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 19, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"I'm going to grab a beer and a scorecard - my first attempt at it - and enjoy the day."

Today is a great day in baseball, if only for this. Cheers, John.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Carrying over:

Nice post, John. Thanks for hanging in there and being our man in Minneapolis for this series.

Have fun with the scorecard (and beer). As long as you can hear the announcements (or a like-minded row-mate fills you in), the double switches aren't so bad. My own least favorite thing to fill in is when they bat around the order (but I like it when our guys do it).

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 19, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Good luck scoring, JMpls. Glen Perkins = home town boy makes good (born in St. Paul). Let's hope Shawn Hill can pitch into the 7th.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 19, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned Boswell in the last post with a familiar "where is he?" refrain. You know, I think it's very interesting to see that Boz has written six columns about golf in the past week alone. So clearly, he still has it in him to be prolific when he wants to be (leaving quality aside for now).

While I'm not suggesting that Boz should be writing six columns every week about baseball or the Nats (and clearly the US Open is a special event), why is he writing so infrequently about those subjects? Why not two or three columns a week during the season? The choices I see are either a) he's not very interested in writing about the Nats, or b) his editors don't want him to write about the Nats regularly.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | June 19, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Boy, reading that previous blog entry and all the petty, childish bickering that was going on was very entertaining. Thanks for the laugh guys.

So, how bout those Nats? What are they, 15 games under .500?

And how bout those feathery O's? 2 game OVER .500. How sweet it is.

You all really need to dump that zero (Nats) and get with a hero (O's).

The crab cakes, beer, and Boogs BBQ are getting sweeter by the day. Plus, the O's don't cancel promotional give-aways like the Nats do. I encourage everyone to drive up to Camden Yards and watch a real team, a team with heart play some baseball. Go O's.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 19, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

On mlbtraderumors.com, there was a post on replacing Seattle's GM. Rizzo's name was mentioned although it was speculation.

I'd hate to see them lose Rizzo. Perhaps it's time to ship Bowden down to AAA and bring Rizzo up to the majors.

Posted by: Expos Fan | June 19, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I say we burn it down for the insurance, ideally with the trolls inside.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I say we burn it down for the insurance, ideally with the trolls inside.

Posted by: | June 19, 2008 12:57 PM

==========================================

No need to be upset and calling for posters deaths just because you know the Orioles are a much better team than the Nats.

That's pretty sad on your end.

Posted by: O's Exec | June 19, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

506--

Nice job! A whole post only about baseball, no personal attacks or name-calling, just a conversation about baseball. Wasn't that more interesting than telling me to shut the F up?

And better still, all your facts are correct. I concede every data point you present. I don't deny them, and I don't intend to conceal them.

Keep it up!

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, O's Exec. You're the most appropriate person here to sniff out the "pretty sad" posters among us. (Hint: got a mirror nearby?)

Now don't get angry. I, like Chico, kid because I love. As long as you don't get vicious (see NJ thread last night), you're welcome to push crab cakes on us as long as you like.

Posted by: girl at work | June 19, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: girl at work | June 19, 2008 1:19 PM

========================================

Ah, c'mon you know I provide the comic relief on this blog, just like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now.

You guys need it after the season the Nats have put together so far.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

With all the Bowden bashing here, does anyone ever consider that Bowden may be operating under instructions of the Lerners and Kasten? When Bowden was retained, Kasten said he liked him because he was 'resourceful". So do you really think someone that values 'resourcefulness' and markets a team based on the 'ballpark experience' rather than the team itself is unaccountable for providing such an inferior product on the field?
Bowden is a nice target but by firing Bowden, you're only addressing the symptoms, not the disease itself.

Posted by: Ray | June 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

What's the point of Os Exec? Is there a purpose to someone coming to a Nationals discussion board and comparing them unfavorably to Baltimore? After waiting 33 years for a National League team to come to DC, am I supposed to 'see the light' and suddenly drop the Nats for Baltimore because its pointed out that they are five games ahead of the Nationals in the standings?

Posted by: Ray | June 19, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Two points in response, Ray:

1) I see plenty of Kasten and Lerner bashing on this blog. JimBow's not alone. You might have gotten that impression from our friend Steven, who is remarkably prolific at times and disenchanted with our GM in particular.

2) I think people are the most tolerant of Kasten, because he has a history of actually making the Plan work. In theory, he ought to know what he's doing...

Posted by: 3434 | June 19, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Sure it very well might be a Stan and Ted problem at the heart but many other GM's have gotten a lot better results with less resources....look at Rays, Marlins, Twins, A's the list goes on and on and so does the losing for the Jimbow verson of the plan.

Posted by: JayB | June 19, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@Ray--you may be right that Kasten needs to be replaced, and maybe we're just cursed with a terrible owner, like the O's, in which case we're totally f-ed for life. Even I don't want to go there.

I focus on Bowden cuz he has the longest, clearest track record of lack of success. The Braves were very, very successful when Kasten was there (but he had Shuerholtz--sp?). The Lerners have only had a couple years, so I give them more time to figure it out. Bowden is the most fair-minded choice for a fall guy.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"What's the point of Os Exec? Is there a purpose to someone coming to a Nationals discussion board and comparing them unfavorably to Baltimore?"

Nah, he just likes the sound of his own voice. Or whatever the blogging equivalent of that phrase is. If you don't find him amusing, just ignore him. No harm done.

Posted by: girl at work | June 19, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

That, and Bowden is actually the guy in charge of the baseball side of things. Not that the ownership isn't relevant, but Bowden's the guy calling the shots. I haven't seen any evidence or reporting of Dan Snyder-esque meddling.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

burgess and marrero are roping the ball. flores is our catcher. we have more pitching than we had any right to expect in the minors. dukes and milledge through 1/3 of the season are settling in fine. we are all but guaranteed a top 5 pick next year. our owners pony up cash for signing bonuses. mets are embarrasing themselves daily.

i can think of more, but the point is to see if you all want to even try...

Posted by: longterm | June 19, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"We can not change ownership but we why can ownership get market performance from there GM?"

Maybe because they talk like you do here whenever they tell him he needs to up his game?

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 19, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

(crying in a corner)

Posted by: proofreading fairy | June 19, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Crap, there goes the game. That's over our 1.8

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

So it looks like the deity who hates us is on an East Coast schedule and slept through the Seattle series entirely. Unfortunately, after that long and refreshing nap, (s)he is now back in top form.

Posted by: Jack | June 19, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

You people crack me up.

Posted by: Rob | June 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Guzzie! Elijah! (and Wil and Flippie!)

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZ

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKES

Okay, new Plan. Only pick up players with the "oo" sound in their names, and then all fan responses sound positive. There's nothing for fans to yell from the stands to express disapproval.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

How about Chris Cooley? He catches and is built like half our players. And there are no cheerleaders.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Compare and contrast the June 19 lineups since 2005.

June 19, 2005

Boone - 3
Belliard - 5
Lopez - 4
Pena - 7
Nieves - 2
(Hill - 1)

What it says to me is that while the Nats have significantly strengthened the farm system, the day to day lineup is at best holding its own and possibly regressing in terms of MLB talent. Granted there are more injurries this year and if Zimmerman, Joinhson, and Kearns were also in the lineup right now it would be the best of the 4 years but as it is, the lineup is not competitive.

Necessary step in evolution? Failure to evolve? Try to restrain yourselves from placing blame and fighting over whose fault it is. I would appreciate some other perspectives and analysis but keep it friendly please.

Thank you.

Posted by: NatBisquit | June 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

WMP's defense is as offensive as his offense. We need LangerHANDS out there.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

hill must be muttering to himself paraphrasing casey stengel who once asked of his nascent mets "can't anybody here play this game?"

Posted by: natsscribe | June 19, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

This getting ridiculous; in an inning where we get several hits and score two runs, Perkins (Twins P) barely breaks a dozen pitches in the inning. Meanwhile, Hill is averaging about 24 pitches per inning.

I don't think they can hide behind Livan's rubber arm (as Lastings did after Tuesday's game), we need to preach patience. First pitch strike? Let it go by, see what else the pitcher has, it'll help the batter, as well as teammates on deck, in the dugout, and in the clubhouse to see the opposing pitcher's full repetoire (sp)....

Posted by: CN | June 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think it's the lack of depth, NatBisquit. We got lucky the last two years and cthis year our luck caught up to us. I imagine, what would the Red Sox do in this situation? Well, they'd call up Justin Masterson. What would the Cubs do? Well, they'd get journeyman Micah Hoffpauir.

What do the Nats have to call up?

There's still a gap between the low level talent and the major league team. We can get by with the starters. But the starters aren't here, so what is there?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Wily Less Pena is about due to get himself Pattersoned to make room for Mock. Why wait til Kearns is ready to come back? Put him on waivers now. Surely no other team would claim him. When they don't, then sign him back to a minor league contract and let him find his swing in Columbus. And if some other team does claim him? Hey, no big loss.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@natbisquit--I think the answer is "maybe."

506's response is probably the "best case" scenario. We won't know for a few years whether it's really true that the minors have gotten better but the guys are just a couple years away. Maybe that's true. There's some evidence it is, but there's some evidence that a lot of these guys are overhyped or totally unproven.

2 things I would add however: there's no reason that a well run organization couldn't improve it's major-league roster at the same time you improve in the minors. This isn't the NFL where you have to just turn over your roster and suffer for a while to rebuild. In MLB you can carry a good big league squad and develop your future at the same time.

Then the other thing that really concerns me is that Bowden's record of drafting and developing players, especially pitchers is SO bad, that in order to buy into the best case scenario, you have to assume a total reversal of his past performance. To me, that's a huge stretch.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If this offensive defensive display by WMP isn't enough to get him either demoted or cut, I don't know what will. JimBow, you OF's need to play DEFENSE in the National League.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 19, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Mariners have fired their manager John MCLaren ... Any manager that lets his team get swept by the Nats better be watch out ...

Posted by: e | June 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Worse schtick: O's Exec or the "comedian" Gallagher?

Posted by: Andrew Dice Clay | June 19, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: e | June 19, 2008 2:23 PM
------------

Does that mean Gardenhire's going to get a guaranteed multi-year extension at 4:05 today?

Posted by: CN | June 19, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Is that two MLB officials we've gotten fired in the past week? Man, we're on a rollll...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

is it time to say bye-bye to Shawn Hill this year? besides the SF game nearly two weeks ago, when else has he had a good outing? I really like the guy and think he can be a decent arm, but I just think they need to shut him down for the year and bring up Balester or Clippard for the rest of the season.

Posted by: e | June 19, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

e

ask sam perlozzo, who was the manager when the O's got swept by the nats at home last year and was fired and saw the nats sweep the m's last week. beware the curly "w"!

Posted by: natsscribe | June 19, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call the M's an MLB team ...
-------------------

Posted by: | June 19, 2008 2:25 PM

Posted by: e | June 19, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hill just doesn't seem right and I think it's more than not being able to have in-between starts throwing sessions until recently. His ball just doesn't sink like it did last year. Did Barry appropriate the sinker when he left the beat?

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

beware the curly "w"!

Posted by: natsscribe | June 19, 2008 2:26 PM

========================

That's like saying "beware the Dark Lord Voldemort." Sure, he's the most deadly wizard in the history of magic, but I see no evidence to convince me that he (or magic) actually exists.

Posted by: Jack | June 19, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

e

pretty soon, we may the saying the same thing about the home team. whatta revoltin' development this is!

Posted by: natsscribe | June 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Jack, that was so beautifully dorky and snarky combined that it has to be a nominee for post of the day.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 19, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ultimately, this Shawn Hill thing just isn't going to work out, and that's a shame.

Posted by: Jimmy Tango | June 19, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

It has got to be time to put Hill on the DL or move him to the bullpen. According to Gameday, he was throwing almost entirely fastballs and obviously, that is just not going to get out MLB hitters consistently over multiple innings. He might be able to move to the bullpen where batters would only be seeing him once, but he can't continue as a starting pitcher until he is healthy enough to throw something other than a fastball for strikes.

Posted by: brewer | June 19, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"In MLB you can carry a good big league squad and develop your future at the same time."

Really? So if you start with the mediocre big league squad the Nationals had in 2005, even with unlimited money where do you go to get a good big league squad while you're developing your farm system? You can't buy EVERY free agent, and even if you could there haven't been enough out there the last few seasons to combine into the kind of big league squad you Red Sox wannabes think we should have. You can't trade for a good big league squad because you have nothing to trade, either on the big league squad or in the minors. And if you had prospects in the minors, trading them for a big league squad would mean you're not developing for the future.

In an early episode of The Simpsons, Marge says to Homer "Do you want your son to become become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, or a sleazy male stripper?" Homer's response is "Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?" That answer is a lot more grounded in reality than you Red Sox wannabes claiming that the Nationals could have been fielding a competitive major league team over the past three years while still building for the future.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | June 19, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

take a look at the pitch counts. this is awful.

Posted by: :( | June 19, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Three Pitches, Three Swings, Two Outs, and hopefully a LOT of bus rides in Wily Mo's near future.

Posted by: Pitch Counter | June 19, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, the reality is that it will be some time before the Nats are a decent team. 2011-2012 time period is probably about right - as we may, by then, have a number of decent players coming up thru the farm. I think we need to put aside any hopes of signing any legitimate free agents. Too expensive for the current ownership. So alot patience will be required for the next couple of years dealing with weak, patchwork teams.

Posted by: Count Demoney | June 19, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"I think we need to put aside any hopes of signing any legitimate free agents."

Bastards like LoDuca are well within our budget, though.

Posted by: jimbo's brain fart | June 19, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"If Washington doesn't field a competitive team in '08, a winning team by '09 and a contender by '10, the Lerner family should consider shaking up its executives. Granted, Kasten and GM Jim Bowden will make mistakes. (We all make mistakes. After consulting Rule 4, Section 66, Article 4 (a), I no longer think Jeff Green traveled against Vanderbilt, although I'm pretty sure he balked and grounded his club in a hazard.) Still, the Nats' brass should be held to a high standard. And soon."

By Thomas Boswell
Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Posted by: flynnie | June 19, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"Even if this season is a mild surprise, don't be satisfied. Hold their feet to the fire. For the next several years, the Nats should improve at one of the most dramatic rates of any franchise in many years. A blank canvas and a blank check should be enough."

By Thomas Boswell
Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Posted by: flynnie | June 19, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Delmon must be secretly pleased to have watched that hit go over his head.

Posted by: Count Demoney | June 19, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Now if FLop can get on, WMP can hit a grand slam ...

Posted by: Bob L. Head | June 19, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

if anyone is listening on XM or has MLB.TV, you may want to check the Blue Jays/Brewers game. Interesting stuff going on through 5 innings over there ...

Posted by: e | June 19, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"The Nationals should rethink what now appears to be their plan for radical inactivity in '07. You don't damage a team's fundamental morale or ruin your relationship with your fans by losing 91 games. But there is some number of defeats -- and it's a lot less than 119 -- that may cause the Nats far more damage than they imagine possible. When you're building -- long-term or short -- penny-wise is almost always pound-foolish."
By Thomas Boswell, December 6, 2006

Posted by: flynnie | June 19, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

@Ray King's Gut Feeling--Bowden's had since November of 2004 to make progress. I'm not saying we should be the Boston Red Sox now, but I think it's completely realistic to expect better than this. And if you asked Bowden in November 2004 if fans would be reasonable to expect him to be at least 1 game over .500 at some point between then and now, I would hope even he'd have said yes.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"Few in Washington blame the Nats for not competing on Soriano's $136 million contract. However, for one-twentieth that amount, the Nats could shore up their pitching. If they don't, the Nats are playing a high-stakes game in which they bet that Washington fans are sophisticated or patient enough -- or gullible enough -- to embrace a horrible team that didn't have to be bad. The Nats have a respectable everyday lineup and a solid bullpen. If the Nats go 56-106, it was a war of choice."
By Thomas Boswell, December 6, 2006

Posted by: flynnie | June 19, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff flynnie!

I just wanted to let you know that with his 2 hits today Guzman now has 100 hits on the year, tops in the majors and 2 ahead of Chipper.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | June 19, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Nice digging, Flynnie. I often think Boz is out to lunch, but those quotes are right on. The trend line should be there, and not just at the minor league level. And it's not. It's just not.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so now, having pilloried Boswell for weeks for not writing enough on the Nats, he's the reknowned expert on how good they should be?

To me, the worst part of this season has been the point you guys are tapping around. Most reasonable folks looked at the roster that broke camp at Spring Training and expected to see improvement from last year's surprisingly not-awful 71-91. The real tough part of this year has been the uncomfortable realization that a lot of the answers to the "plan" questions for this year (Can JP be healthy and good enough to be a #1? Can Hill? Can Lopez and Kearns be effective every-day offensive mainstays? Can Cordero be the anchor of the bullpen? Can NJ be healthy enough to provide "protection" for Zimm? Is Zimm one of the all-time greats at 3b?) seems to be "no." Don't get me wrong, there have been bright spots so far - Flores and Lannan for sure, Milledge and Dukes a little bit too, but between the injuries and the breakdowns, from a long-term development standpoint, this year has so far been a step in the wrong direction.

Boz couldn't have seen that on March 28, when he was using his foam finger to promise a World Series in 2011. Development isn't a straight-line proposition - injuries happen, guys don't pan out, or get cut and pan out for somebody else - and if he bothered to actually think about baseball anymore, rather than just use Auto-Text to auto-file the standard "Hey they might be good" opening day column, he would have considered that.

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | June 19, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Kasten's vision, which matches the Lerners' preference for slow, solid foundation building, is to suffer now, then win 950 games in a glorious decade. But is that what Washington wants? Nobody asked us. Stan's playing poker, and has gone "all in" by slashing payroll to $36 million, with our hopes as his ante.

Maybe Washington would rather have a competitive .500 team as soon as possible. Perhaps we'd settle for a thousand summer nights in a gorgeous park in Southeast with an entertaining team. And if a couple of world titles arrive someday, that would be gravy
By Thomas Boswell, Paying the Price for a Plan, May 10, 2007

Posted by: flynnie | June 19, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Gah- I'm an idiot - 73-89 last year. Stupid, stupid.

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | June 19, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"I know you don't understand the concept that 'Money once spent is gone forever,' " Kasten said, "but it is true, nonetheless. If you waste millions now then you don't have it later when it can help win a pennant."

True if you are under-funded or cheap. Not true if you're the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Phillies, the Mets, or an organization that is not under-funded or cheap.

Posted by: flynnie | June 19, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I might be wrong but I thought Kasten was part of the ownership group. If so he might not be so easy to remove/replace as president

Posted by: mjames | June 19, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Kasten's grand plan overlooks one disturbing problem . . .[Wh]at if Kasten is wrong? What if he, Bowden and their scouts blow the draft selections that are crucial to The Plan? What if the first few crucial free agent signings blow out their arms or get old in a hurry? Can you say "Carl Pavano"? What if, in five years, Washington still has a losing team, a ballpark that's no longer brand-spanking new and Kasten is simply a smart guy who couldn't make magic happen twice?

In that scenario, he still has his Braves memories. But what happens to baseball in Washington? The Nats' local support may have shallower roots than the stunning attendance of '05 would indicate. Generations grew up here without the sport and the local media, through nobody's fault, still knows far more about icing, goaltending and pass interference than the infield fly rule.

Thomas Boswell, Paying the Price for a Plan, May 10, 2007

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

OK friends, the moment you've all been waiting for. The pitchfork brigade has a new home...

Inspired by the recent success of www.FireBillBavasi.com, I've launched a new site dedicated to the proposition that Washington deserves a winning baseball team and that for that to happen, JimBo must go:

FireJimBowden.blogspot.com.

It's an evolving clearinghouse of information about why Jim Bowden must be replaced in order for the Nationals to become a winner and a general community of support for long-suffering Nationals fans who each day cling to the hope that today may finally be the day that Bowden is fired.

You can do fun things like vote on who our next GM should be, sign the Fire Jim Bowden petition, chat about how great it'll be when we have a new GM and can start winning, and more!

Come say hello! Everyone's welcome (but no name-calling, please).

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 19, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

...and it is over. By the National's standards a 4-5 roadtrip is pretty fantastic.

Posted by: Count Demoney | June 19, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

11-2; 7-2; but, hey, I'm sure we'll shut down the Rangers, Marlins, O's and Angels so that "2" will be a winning number. I'm glad that I gave my buddy from the Dominican my tickets for he and his son to go see Garrett Mock shut down the Rangers on Saturday night. The guy's best friends with more MLB players than I can name, and I'm sute that he will enjoy the product on the field Saturday night.

Posted by: flynnie | June 19, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

He lost it the 8th, according to the team site.

...