Zimmerman: "It's going to be taken slowly."

Still Adam Kilgore here, still posting as Chico Harlan. Below is a full transcript of Ryan Zimmerman's meeting with the media this afternoon.

The abridged version: He's not sure how long the shoulder injury will keep him out, but he will be cautious. He does not want to have surgery; if he needs it, he'll want to rehab, play the remainder of this season and get cut on at the end of the year. The Nationals have not heard back from the three second opinions they are seeking. He'd like to come back faster, but he understands why caution is necessary and knows it's best not to rush back.

His full thoughts:

HURT MORE CONSIDERING HOW MANY TEAMMATES ARE OUT?
Yeah, I think it's tough. I mean, I think there's four of five of us out from opening night on the DL. It's unfortunate. It's kind of all freak injuries, too - hit by pitch, sliding into bases, you know, things like that. The important thing is none of us are rushed and don't come back too early and cause more problems on our rehab.

WHAT ARE YOUR EMOTIONS?
Upset. Frustrated. It's hard for not to play, and now to not be able to play for even longer. It's not upsetting or frustrating for me; it's more the team. We've worked hard. To have so many people get hurt, it's really not where our team is. We don't want to be portrayed as the kind of team like we've been playing lately. We have a lot of pride. I think it kind of takes a hit out of you.

DID YOU SEE IT COMING TO THIS?
Maybe. Maybe not. I obviously played with a little bit of pain before, playing every game last year. I like to believe that I have a pretty good threshold for playing with pain. This is just a little different. I know, and that's one thing Jim (Bowden) has told me over and over again, he wants me to be here for a long time. You guys know I want to be here and play here for a long time. There's no reason to maybe go out and do something to make it worse. We just took a couple weeks off, rehab it and get it healthy so everything will be better. It just makes sense to do what we're doing and take it slow. It's nice of them to do that.

ANY IDEA ON A TIMETABLE?
Not really. I think we're waiting for the other opinions to come in. (The Nationals are getting second opinions from three outside sources.) See what they have to say and go from there.

SURGERY?
I don't enjoy it, so ...

DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU'LL KNOW IF YOU NEED SURGERY?
I don't know. We haven't talked timetables or anything. I think avoiding it would be the best. If we can rehab and get to the point where, if I I'm going to have to get surgery, if I can get to the point where I can play the rest of the year and be sure that I won't hurt anything, I think that would be the plan that I would go. But I think we want to avoid getting cut on as much as we can.

HOW CONCERNED ARE YOU THIS MIGHT BE LONG-TERM?
Ah, I think I want to come back a lot quicker. But I think it's going to be a little bit longer. I don't know weeks or anything like that. Like I said, I think we're going to talk later. It's going to be taken slowly. It's hard for me to do that, but I think they're going to be pretty strict about it.

HAVING NOT BEEN ON THE DL BEOFRE, IS THIS HUMILIATING OR HUMBLING?
I guess you could say humbling or humiliating. It's not that I needed to get my eyes open or anything like that. But you just ... it happens to everyone in their career. It's hard to find one player who hasn't been on the DL besides Ripken or Tejada for a while. You know, it's tough. But you've got to realize it's better for long run for the team, for everybody. I'll swallow my pride and be humiliated.

DONE SLIDING INTO BASES?
Well, that's probably about the 5,000th time and I've only got hurt once. So I'll probably keep doing it.

CAN YOU STILL BE A LEADER?
Yeah. The one thing I've learned during the week is you notice a lot more sitting on the bench. Although it's very boring and tough to sit there, but I can help out a lot, too. We have a lot of young guys. (Blogger's interruption: This seems like a mature point for a player all of 23 with fewer than 2 ½ years experience). Sitting and watching is like a side game; you can kind of see things you don't usually see because you're out there concentrating on what you have to do. I'll try and help out as much as I can that way. I'm going to stay with the team, travel and be there for the guys. They would do it for me if they were in the same situation.

THINK IT WOULD BE THIS BAD WHEN YOU FIRST GOT HURT?
After the game when I did, we had the 20 or 30 minute rain delay, I got a little stiff after that. Then I played the next two or three games, and it didn't really bother me to tell you the truth. I don't know if I did something to maybe trigger it or set it off a little bit more, but a couple games after that, that Saturday game against Milwaukee, was pretty painful. I was getting Sunday off, so I just figured I would play Sunday, kind of just battle. It didn't really start to feel better after that, so I knew something was a little bit wrong. Any time I take a day off, the next day I usually feel pretty good.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 3, 2008; 6:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups, one of which Kory Casto is in
Next: Man Bites Dog

Comments

@LDO--You're clearly right, Hall has been at least bit of a disappointment, or else he'd be playing more and wouldn't be available. But he's on pace for 27 dingers, despite losing PT. So I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't come close to his past production. He's also been jerked around from position to position like crazy, and a lot of people in Wisconsin seem to think it's affected him at the plate, which makes sense to me.

Besides, I'm not convinced that Ned "Gagne's my closer" Yost is infallible. Russell Branyan is terrible. I'd be really unhappy with what's happening there if I was a Brewers fan.

I just don't agree with your point that "we have enough underperforming guys," so don't bring in new guys.... When you have a bad team, you need to bring in new guys to improve. The alternative I guess is to just stand pat with a crap load of crappy guys who crap the bed every night?

@faNATic--On the VORP stats, that's just copied from Baseball Prospectus. I just shared "for what it's worth," which I think is more than nothing. PECOTA projections should be taken with a healthy grain of salt, but they are as good as any I've seen.

I agree Nieves is probably a preferable backup, but only cuz you'd want a better defensive catcher as your backup. If forced to choose a starter I don't think many people around baseball would take Nieves over LoDuca. The BL though is that LoDuca, Estrada, and Nieves all stink--those are all basically replacement-level guys.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 3, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and re: the Guzman VORP, I think it's pretty clear that PECOTA doesn't factor for Lasik surgery. But from 2005 to mid-2007, he was perhaps the least valuable position player in MLB.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 3, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

One day, in the middle of a 10-game homestand in 2005, Barry was on the way to the stadium when he noticed a school bus on the side of the road with two flat tires. The summer heat was sweltering, and a bunch of kids on their way home from summer camp were suffering. Barry, needing to be at the stadium to follow up on a story going in the next morning's paper, ran three blocks down to Pennsylvania Avenue SE, stopped at Starbucks, bought 30 mocha fraps and 30 bottles of water, borrowed somebody's laptop to update Nationals Journal with lineups (after confirming them over the phone), ran back to the bus, distributed the goods, and then proceeded to change the tires of the bus, all in the span of 20 minutes.

He then made it to the stadium for the tail end of BP, got his quote, finished his story, updated Nationals Journal yet again with breaking news on the current Nick Johnson injury of the day, and he still had time for his daily meditation in the press box, where he recited the following gayatri mantra to the Lord Sri Krishna for spiritual success:

Aum Devkinandanaye Vidmahe
Vasudavaye Dhi-mahi
Tanno Krishnah Prachodayat.

Posted by: Ron Burgundy | June 3, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

...and joe mather as the beaver.

Posted by: natsscribe | June 3, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

It's bad enough that this team has been the Nats Without Bats, but the what's going on with the defense. I blame Bob Carpenter's return.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 3, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Mark my words--we are about to learn the meaning of the phrase "regression to the mean" with Mr. Odalis Perez. I'll stick my neck out and predict at least a 5.50+ ERA from here on out.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 3, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

SoCH,

are you taking any bets tonight whether the nats w/o bats will score?

Posted by: natsscribe | June 3, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

OK, Mr. on Capitol Hill, stick out any body part you like; wake me when you stick your wallet out.

Posted by: Odalis' primo | June 3, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

@natsscribe

Oooh geez. You know I would think they would at least scratch against Lohse, but with Langerhans and Casto, I'm not sure.

You going to give me odds?

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 3, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

and speaking of saving your money, you could come to any adult rec league game for free to see this stuff.

Posted by: not that I'm bitter | June 3, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

These bums have gotten into my wallet plenty.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 3, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

yeah, that's what I thought.

Posted by: OP's cousin | June 3, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

What on earth is going on?

According to the CBS Sports Glogger:

"Ludwick hit a blooper to the left fielder, who lost focus and let the ball bounce behind him, allowing a run to score. Molina batted a 3-run home run while Perez was struggling to get batters out. Defensively, Washington looks slow and not alert. The second baseman Miles underestimated the speed of the batter and threw the ball to first base late, when he could have reached in time if he were quicker."

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 3, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I just thought I'd share:

Aaron "The F-ing ANSWER" Boone in the last 14 games:
.158 BA
.233 OBP
.342 SLG

So he's moved down in the lineup today... to 5th.

Bowden's boys are terrible.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 3, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Is it not Acta's job to get his team ready to play? That first inning shows that nobody in listing to Acta or he is doing nothing. Either way Acta needs to get their attention NOW or go back to being everyone's friend and the 3rd base coach on someone elses team.

Lopez as always has his head up his ass......not covering 2nd base.....come on.......how can you keep putting him out there? Bring up Pete Orr and cut him PLOP now.

Posted by: JayB | June 3, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Gret throw, Kory for the 9-3 DP!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 3, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

at least casto is in the game defensively tonight.

Posted by: natsscribe | June 3, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does this sound funny:
"three second opinions"?

Posted by: NatsNut | June 3, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

NN,

does that mean six total opinions? lol!

Posted by: natsscribe | June 3, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Bob Carpenter can't tell the difference between Odalis Perez and Rob Mackowiak? Shoot me, shoot me now!

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 3, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

More to the point, who the AB is writing that crap?

******************
What on earth is going on?

According to the CBS Sports Glogger:

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 3, 2008 7:34 PM

Posted by: CE | June 3, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

i wonder if this game would have ever started if st. louis made more than one trip here this year? one of the disadvantages of the unbalanced schedule is that there is very little wiggle room for games that start in or are delayed by bad weather because of lack of makeup dates.

Posted by: natsscribe | June 3, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

NOW they go to a rain delay? It should have started an hour ago.

Posted by: leetee1955 | June 3, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

OK so who was it that took my action on the Nats not scoring tonight?

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | June 3, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Okay, quick. What are the rules for calling a game mid-game?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | June 3, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

pray that it keeps raining and that the nats don't get to bat in the fifth inning if the game resumes and they're still trailing. then it won't be an official game.

Posted by: natsscribe | June 3, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

New post. (come on, rain...)

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 3, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

For just one night let's not be Co-bloggers. Let's be Co-people.

Posted by: NR Ron Burgundy | June 3, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

"I just don't agree with your point that "we have enough underperforming guys", so don't bring in new guys....When you have a bad team, you need to bring in new guys to improve. The alternative I guess is to just stand pat..."

Shockingly, my point has been misconstrued. "We have enough underperforming guys" does not equal "Don't bring in new guys" or "Just stand pat".

I think it is fair to say Hall hasn't come close to his past production - OPS of .837 in 2005 & .898 in 2006...OPS of .740 in 2007 and .710 in 2008. Use whatever stat you want...OPS+, walk/K rate...his stats now are much worse than 05-06.

Those 2005-06 numbers, by the way, were his most productive, even while playing SS, 3B, 2B and CF.

But hey, he may hit 27 homers this year(while striking out 150+ times) and earn almost $20 million until 2010.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | June 4, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse