Bernadina down, Langerhans up

The era of untimely and reliable out-making known as the Roger Bernadina Experiment ended today when the Nationals announced that Bernadina is heading down to Class AAA Columbus, a swap for OF Ryan Langerhans. Bernadina lasted just less than two weeks in the big leagues, hitting .125 (5-for-40) and striking out 12 times. Even his professed virtues looked shaky. He was caught stealing in both attempts on the basepaths, and from the outfield, several of his throws home sailed off like plastic bags in the wind.

He's only 24, so this is hardly a stamp on Bernadina's future. But right now, he simply isn't ready.

Langerhans you're familiar with. He's already appeared in 23 games with the Nats this season, hitting .200 (6-for-30). I'll get a little more info on this soon, but I'm guessing this means that Willie Harris will keep the CF spot open until Lastings Milledge returns.

Tonight's lineups.

Young - 3
Casto - 7
Flores - 2
Belliard - 5
Redding - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  July 11, 2008; 3:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Day 5, Blame and Solutions (Blame me and Luis Ayala)
Next: Moves and shoulders

Comments

What I like most about this move is that Bernadina still got a promotion, even in his demotion. He'll be back, I bet, but I would also bet it'll be as a Langerhans-type.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Bags ... in the wind ... all my throws are bags in the wind ...

Bernardina - latest entry in the Chavez/Logan/Langerhans (sorry, Ryan) pantheon of Fast Guys Who Were Otherwise Underwhelming?

Discuss.

Posted by: Not Really the Band Kansas | July 11, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

BernAdina, not BernaRdina.

Sorry, Roger.

Posted by: Not Really That Bad of A Speller | July 11, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I didn't want Bernadina to be sent down, I wanted to know why Manny didn't pinch hit for him last night with the game on the line. If Bernadina was so close to being deemed "not ready" how could Manny possibly think he was a better choice than Belliard for that situation?

I know I'm Johnny one note here, but this move just makes last night's loss even more painful.

Posted by: Section 222 | July 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hypothetical: If Bernadina had gotten the winning run, then would he not have been sent down?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Sweet. Langerhans again. I think this call up is going to be the time that he finally sticks in the big leagues.

Honestly, can't we give someone, anyone else a chance? Seeing new minor leaguers up in the majors is all we have to look forward to this season.

Posted by: John | July 11, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

It's a good thing the Lerners -- under the steady hand of Stan Kasten and Jim Bowden -- have stocked our minors so quickly that we can call up kids like this Langerhans fellow. They really put their money where there mouth is when it comes to this plan thing!

I hope they call up other kids too! We don't need these dead weight veterans!

Posted by: Chris | July 11, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The reason you let Bernadina hit in that situation is to see if he can.

The reason you send him down now is that he's clearly lost and the current team situation is so bad that you risk stunting him forever. [This is different from WMP, who is is the walking talking definition of "sunk cost" right now.]

Bernadina may be the next Ryan Langerhans - but if that's the case let him develop a bit more and the real deal take the nightly beatings that is the Nats' 2008 season.

I'm guessing he's back in September regardless.

Posted by: Not Really Manny Acta | July 11, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

From what I can tell, Bernadina certainly has the ability to become a very good defensive ceter fielder and a plus baserunner. I'm glad we got the chance to see him up for a bit.

Here's hoping he sorts it out offensively in AAA. Something tells me he his woes with the bat infected his other talents. He looked a little overwhelmed.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 11, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Great. Bernadina couldn't cut it in 40 AB's, so he gets sent down. Langerhans couldn't cut it last year (160+ AB's) or this year (30 AB), and he gets called up.

Bernadina: 12 K in 40 AB
Langerhans: 9 K in 30 AB (63 K in 162 AB in 07).

And before we get all "but Langerhans is a better defender" here, I just don't see the rationale. He is not THAT much better.

If they're going to send down Bernadina, why not bring up Escobar? At least until he hurts himself getting out of the car? Maybe a call up for Alex would spark him into hitting the crap out of the ball like he did in 06.

Langerhans is not the answer. I don't know what is the answer, but I know it's not him.

Posted by: e | July 11, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Newposted:

""And really, it's not like the Nationals brand had really been burned into our collective unconscious - we wouldn't have been that angry about a change, would we?

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 11, 2008 3:51 PM "

Hrmmm... I wouldn't have stormed the gates (unless it was something other than the Senators they changed it to), but (being a curmudgeon - and very, very old-school) I think that they should keep the Nationals as the name since it WAS the name of our team for 50+ years (even if they were popularly called the "Senators" for years before the official name change in '56).

So there, consider me burned in. :)

Posted by: OldGuy | July 11, 2008 4:06 PM "

Oh, but then...

"I would have loved to have the Washington Grays, personally.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 3:54 PM "

Okay, fine I would have been good with that too. Even if they only played in DC for about 10 years out of 40. But THAT'S IT!

Posted by: OldGuy | July 11, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Langerhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnns!

Posted by: GIbby | July 11, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Center fielder. I don't want him fielding ceters.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 11, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 4:14 PM
_____________________________

I was just wondering that myself. Last night's failure to pinch-hit could have been Acta's final attempt to give the kid a chance to show something exciting.

By the way, I'm thinking about becoming a one-issue poster. I can constantly agitate for Mr. Harlan to include the handedness of the pitchers in his lineup posts. That could be my thing. Sound good?

Posted by: Scooter | July 11, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

By my count, the Nats have 6 players who could play the outfield:

WMP
Kearns
Langerhans
Harris
Casto
Orr

Only 2 are right-handed hitters. I'd like a little more balance out there.

Posted by: e | July 11, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Pete Orr and Langershlongs- if this team ain't joined at the hip with Atlanta washouts and Cincinnati blow-outs I don't know who is!

My confidence level has just risen to 5% that Langershlong stays above the Mendoza line before the other shlomps in the current lineup do.

Posted by: tippy canoe | July 11, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

True Old Guy, but they won for almost that whole decade and amassed a better record than the Senators, though they never got to face the Yankees.

Whoever is in centerfield is a wash, right now. Langerhans is as good/bad as Escobar or Bernadina. Chico's right, Harris is going to be starting at 8 anyway.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Escobar is tempting - I almost wonder if the team simply can't stand to see anyone else get hurt.

The other explanation is that Escobar is next year's WMP and they don't want to advance his service time any further.

Posted by: Not Really The Lerners' Landlord-Tenant Attorney | July 11, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Plastic bags in the wind - ouch! I like it, though. :)

Good luck to Roger in his continued development. Hope that we'll see him in the bigs again some day.

Also, RIBS??!! in DC???!!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scooter | July 11, 2008 4:23 PM

------

Only if you make it seem like a matter of life and death.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Nats can run Paul Lo Duca out there in center field?

"Put me in coach, I'm ready to play......"

Posted by: O's Exec | July 11, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

e, like some of the other folks have suggested, I don't think this is as much a move to get somebody better (Langerhans vs. Bernadina) than it is a recognition of Bernadina not being ready for the big city yet - they gave him 10 games or so (maybe even a bit more than your standard cup of coffee) and he wasn't ready yet and didn't seem to be catching on. So down he goes, and up comes somebody else to fill the hole on the roster. That's what veteran AAAA guys are all about...shift them around to fill gaps. That said, is Escobar hurt again? If not, why isn't he coming up again? We seem due for one of his 55ABs of .340/.430/.490 hitting that makes everybody say "If only he could stay healthy...."

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | July 11, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"Scooter, you'd need a moniker for your handedness issue. Lefties are lacking, perhaps?"

I propose Talk [About] The Hand.

Posted by: Not Really [WHATEVER] | July 11, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Not "Talk to the hand"? :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

::rolls eyes::

They just traded one guy who can't hit for another, older, guy who also can't hit. Brilliant!

At least pretend that you are trying to improve offensively and call Escobar up. Sure he will get hurt, but let's just enjoy having a major league caliber hitter for a week or two before the inevitable return of Langerhans.

Posted by: Escobar's mom... | July 11, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Bernadina: 12 K in 40 AB
Langerhans: 9 K in 30 AB (63 K in 162 AB in 07).

Posted by: e | July 11, 2008 4:20 PM

I had the same thought then these two reasons came to mind:

1. Langerhans line at Columbus

.310/.418/.446

Escobar's Line

.265/.322/.402

2. Doesn't require a 40 man roster move.

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | July 11, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree that diehards probably would only accept Nationals, Grays, or Senators (they would have had to purchase the naming rights from Texas in this case) as the team name.

However, the Kasten era hasn't really been that interested in the diehards, right? Case in point, all the attention on the "entertainment experience" at Nats Park instead of focusing on the baseball experience. Could ownership could have decided to try to generate some excitement by changing the name to something more, I don't know, dynamic? Perhaps. Would it have increased area interest in the team? Possibly. Would it have provided fodder for Steinbog? Undoubtedly.

Remember when Pollin announced a poll to have fans decide the new name of the Bullets? This may not be the best example, since the options were clearly slanted to Pollin's favorite choice, Wizards (really, the Washington Sea Dogs?), but a similar ploy may have created a sense of investment in the team by the community.

I should make clear that I like the name Nationals (although I wouldn't mind a change to the logo or uniform). I just think the decision to not make a change is an interesting one.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 11, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

e-

I figured I wouldn't be the first to wonder why Escobar doesn't get called up. He is better, period.

Tippy-

I am laughing at your nickname for Langerhans, but I am feeling really guilty about it.

Finally, nobody could be worried about Escobar's service time. You would think that with 2.5 years spread over 10 years, even the baseball union would have lost track of whether Escobar is eligible for arbitration or not.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | July 11, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I just loved Boswell's insightful column today. This is why they pay him the big bucks. He's figured out that run differential actually correlates pretty well with won-loss record. Who'da thunk it?

I wonder if point differential has any correlation with a team's record in football? Or basketball? Perhaps, the goal differential in hockey or soccer might also match up pretty well with a team's record? Perhaps, even in tennis, the players that win more points win the most matches.

For his next effort, Boswell will note that the direction of water flow correlates nicely with downward slopes. He will also note that it is a good predictor of which way the water will flow tomorrow.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 11, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice song refs, Not Kansas and O's Exec. Speaking of music, I picked up a great CD of baseball music at the P-Nats game last week (it came out in the Cannons era). My favorite track (there are 10 - not bad for $4) is a spin on Jerry Lee Lewis "Great Balls of Fire" featuring a batter's reactions to a pitcher. Centerfield is on there, too. I think that there's a law about that or something...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"2. Doesn't require a 40 man roster move."

And we have a winner

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I think the only better yardstick of a team's caliber might be it's won-loss record.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 11, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Can't pull up anybody that is not on the 40 man roster!!!!! Do you see Escobar there!!

40-Man Roster
* 30 Justin Maxwell R/R 6-5 245 11/06/83
* 44 Lastings Milledge R/R 6-0 205 04/05/85 15-day Disabled List
26 Wily Mo Pena R/R 6-3 270 01/23/82

* Not on Active Roster
** Not on 40-Man Roster

Posted by: Learn the rules on call ups | July 11, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, I totally missed the Langershlong moniker. Must be Friday.

Posted by: Lili von Shtupp | July 11, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Fine. Move Hill to the 60-day DL and call up Escobar! Happy now?! Could you use any more exclamation points?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: e | July 11, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I think there are more concise and also productive ways of making your point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BANGER!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the input, y'all. Although lefties are indeed lacking -- we do lack certain necessities for such tasks as running straight and carrying on an adult conversation -- I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to this one-issue thing as would apparently be necessary. Lemme get back to y'all on this one.

Posted by: Scooter | July 11, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Haven't posted for awhile, don't intend to, still love the Nats and watch them every chance I get (I'm viewer 9,002).

I just can't let the comments go about this being a bad baseball town. Look, DC has had three teams win more than 85 games in the past 75, that's seventy-five!!! -- years. NO MARKET with that record of losing, plus 33 seasons with no team at all would become a good baseball town unless the new team WINS.

DC has the disposable income and education level and demographics that mark out other good baseball towns (Boston, SF, St. Louis) but those towns have had winning teams at least a few times the past 75 years. Washington has not - when they did (1969 for example, they drew well - DC has the 6th highest attendance in the AL for an 86 win team NEVER in the pennant race in 1969 and drew more than a million in the 40s when they had a pennant-race team.)

Look at 2005 - with NO TV, a sniff of a pennant race and the team nearly hit 3 million fans.

If and when the Nationals win, the interest will spike, just like any other town in the same boat. It won't be Boston or St. Louis, but it will be a decent baseball town...I just hope we get a chance to show it someday.

Posted by: natswriter | July 11, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Out on a limb here, lets pick up Richie Sexson.

There I said it.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | July 11, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Exclamation points rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Punctuation Lady | July 11, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Pick up Sexson?

Sure.

Right after he clears waivers, and not a moment before.

Posted by: WebberDC | July 11, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I know this is late compared to the discussion earlier, but to use Penas stats from two months last year is an example of misleading statistics. You could use his 2004 season stats as well. It just shows that he is good in stretches, excellent in some, and terrible in others, all while striking out in bunches. Maybe it is a pressure thing or maybe it is a technique thing. Can he do it for a "full year"? We are going to find out.

Extra BP. Throw at least 500 breaking balls to him a day, everyday, for the rest of the season. Please.

Posted by: theraph | July 11, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

A lineup not including the Wasteland of Microscopic Production is, indeed, a beauty to behold.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 11, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this 48 hours after Jimbo said that you need patience with young players like Bernadina?

Posted by: Sec 317 | July 11, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

So put Escobar on the 40 man roster and take Langerhans off. No big loss there.

Put Cordero on the 60-day DL.

Put Hill on the 60-day DL.

Take your pick really. It can't be that hard to actually bring up a guy who _might_ be able to hit the ball occasionally.

Posted by: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 | July 11, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

In this case, would changing the name to "Devil Nats" reverse the curse?

Posted by: Why are we talking about the team name here? | July 11, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"The reason you let Bernadina hit in that situation is to see if he can."
_____________________________________

You already knew he couldn't. .128 BA before that last at bat, 0-3 in the game, including a strike out, an unsuccessful bunt, and grounding into a double play in the 8th after WMP actually got a single. Anyone who thought he could hasn't been watching for the last two weeks.

But more importantly, Belliard was on the bench and available to pinch hit. Remember him? The guy who hit a walk-off home run in the last game of the Orioles series after coming in in the 10th inning as a defensive replacement?

I will repeat. Is there anyone on this board who thinks that the "go with youth" plan now that the season is lost should include sticking with an inferior bat in a key situation late in the game, when a clutch veteran is available to pinch hit? If that's what we're in for, it's going to be a very, very long season.

Posted by: one issue poster | July 11, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget to bring toys to donate if you'll be at the park from Friday through Sunday. From the team site:

Toys for Tots Come out to the games on July 11, 12, and 13 as the Washington Nationals take on the Houston Astros and support the 3rd Annual Christmas in July Toy Drive. All toys collected will benefit Toys for Tots Foundation. United States Marines will collect new, unwrapped toys for all ages at the Collection Bins located right outside Center Field Plaza Gate. Collection will begin once gates open through the bottom of the 4th inning.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, don't make me go off on Sexson again - I'd rather they just spend however many $100,000s they'd have to spend on Sexson and buy DC lottery tickets with it and use whatever they win to add to the signing bonuses of the top five draft picks and have a lawn chair play 1b.

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | July 11, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

We're just being silly because it's Friday, Scooter. No offense intended.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

"You already knew he couldn't. .128 BA before that last at bat, 0-3 in the game, including a strike out, an unsuccessful bunt, and grounding into a double play in the 8th after WMP actually got a single. "

You mean the Belliard that is hitting .212 in 151 AB's this season? That is 7 for his last 32 (.219)?

No matter who was up in that instance, chances are there was not going to be a base hit. As much as I love Flores, he is my main culprit for losing the game. He was up with one out and a runner on third. Just needed to hit a sac fly to win the game and he didn't.

Posted by: e | July 11, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natswriter | July 11, 2008 4:57 PM
---------------------------------------------

You hit on the heart of it. In 2005 there was not TV, so we all had to go to the ballpark.

Now, we all can stay home and watch it on TV, if we can figure out what channel it's on. All 9,000 of us.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 11, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"I know this is late compared to the discussion earlier, but to use Penas stats from two months last year is an example of misleading statistics."

So why isn't his sample this year an example of misleading statistics too? Oh wait, its because it makes your point. Recency effect?

Pena was a decent gamble that did not work out. It happens . . . a lot. Be glad it wasn't a Richie Sexson sized gamble.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Wrong, RKGF, that's not what you said. Here is what you said, in this blog entry alone. I could go back and dig up more from you/your alter ego 419 if you want, but I think this should suffice:

"you know how I know for sure that the Lerners never asked the city to pay for Ryan Zimmerman's uniform?"

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 11, 2008 11:45 AM"

You obviously don't get jokes. That demoralizes me almost as much as a clogged drain in their clubhouse shower demoralizes the Nationals.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 11, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

We're just being silly because it's Friday, Scooter. No offense intended.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 5:17 PM

-----------------

Offense? My dear friend 1a, I took as little offense as the Nats have provided. Rats, I thought I was playing along.

Posted by: Scooter | July 11, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I do get jokes. The second quote from you obviously was a joke. But the first one--which you now conveniently omit from your snippet above--was not. Why don't you just give this a rest and stop trying to deny what you said? This is what you wrote and that you now want to ignore:

"The Lerners pressed the issue, the arbiter ruled against them, and they're living with that decision. I seriously doubt that they ever asked the city to pay for Ryan Zimmerman's uniform."

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 11, 2008 11:33 AM

___________________

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 11, 2008 5:27 PM

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | July 11, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 11, 2008 5:26 PM

------

The previous poster was making the point that Wily Mo's non-production now is more consistent with his career stats (it's not, it's 50 points lower AVG and 170 lower SLG) so we shouldn't be surprised that it's not what we saw last year.

The argument for Wily Mo has always been, though, that he didn't get a fair shake before, because he never was able to get in a groove since he was constantly jerked around to replace injured players, then sent down again or platooned. He was a 26-year old prospect.

When the Nats played him every day last year, it looked like they were correct. It doesn't look that way anymore.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 11, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Okay, then, and thanks for the laugh below!

------

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

The Bernardina move makes sense. Rather than letting him flail over his head with a 2 level jump mid-season, let's see if he can be successful at AAA, playing every day, for half a season. Let him build up his confidence. His 2008 in Harrisburg is the only time he has had sustained .300+ hitting in his career. We are almost guaranteed to see him on the AAA/MLB shuttle for the next 2 - 3 seasons as a cost controlled extra with options, something that has value to the organization. That is probably all he is.

Posted by: PTBNL | July 11, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Is it too late to join in the beating of the dead-horse-should-Manny-have-pinch-hit-for-Bernadina debate? I agree with 222; should have pinch hit Belliard. Sure, he might only be hitting .212 but he's a major league hitter, as he proved against the O's. Bernadina had already been given enough opportunities to prove he's not yet ready, either defensively or offensively (he butchered a single in Tuesday's game, among other misplays).

It is OK to second-guess Manny here, isn't it? Or shall we just agree to use JimBow (and his complexion, as one blogger yesterday pointed out) as the ritual scapegoat for all Nats' problems?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I just learned of the firing of Phil Wood from WTEM. On of the first moves by that little ahole Snyder. I guarantee you that he will replace him with some syndicated crap. I know that boycotts are a dime a dozen aren't worth a damn but I fervently hope that he runs that station into the ground like he has done the Redskins and Six Flags.

Posted by: Jay | July 11, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Please Stan, hire Phil to do something on 3WT (is that Stan's call?). Phil is fab, Snyder is the successful version of O's Exec. Hire Phil to do something pertaining to the Nats. And get him a hair cut!

Posted by: joNAThan | July 11, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

With you all the way, Jay and joNAThan! Phil Wood belongs on local radio, and the Nats could pay for an extra daily show. I don't want one second less of Charlie and Dave, though, just more. I'd love to know why it happened now. Perhaps Len Shapiro can do the same stellar journalism that brought to light the shabby treatment of Bob Carpenter last year.

Posted by: flynnie | July 11, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse