From all over the place

About later today:

We'll have our regular 2 p.m. chat. Please, leave your weapons at home.

About yesterday:

The one-paragraph Web summary of last night's game: "The lack of production from the offense nullifies a solid pitching performance from Collin Balester as the Nats lose to the Phillies, 2-1." Take away the proper nouns from that sentence, and you've pretty much got the most repeated phrase of the decade. Not just in baseball, either. The Post writes that sentence more often than Lil Jon says "Yeah."

Read the gamer here, the notes here.

About the future:

OK, it might be a little erroneous to associate Class AAA Columbus, the favored gathering point for 29-year-old outfielders, as a gathering point for Washington's future prospects. But at least some of the talent down there will soon be at Nats Park. Yesterday, staff writer Zach Berman took the quick drive down to Richmond, Va., for a feature story. In the meantime, he stopped by the visiting team's dugout and caught up with a few of the Clips.

Here's Berman's dispatch...

Ryan Wagner and Elijah Dukes are both down here, though Dukes declined comment when he arrived in the Clippers' clubhouse.

Wagner is approaching the final days of his rehab assignment for a shoulder injury that required surgery in June 2007. He last pitched in May 2007 before starting his rehab in earlier this month.

Wagner allowed one run in 7.1 innings while on rehab with Class A Potomac. In four innings with Columbus, he has allowed five earned runs in four innings.

"The rehab things get real old, especially all the things I've had done," Wagner said. "I mean, it was a long road back. I'm just excited I'm able to pitch again and get back to where I used to be."

Wagner said he does not have a timetable for his return, although he's closing in on a month since his assignment started on July 4. At this point, he is just waiting for the call.

"As long as I'm getting guys out, and I'm able to get on the mound whenever I'm called to get on the mound, then I'm back," Wagner said. "What exactly is, 'I'm back?' You know what I'm saying? As long as I'm able to get guys out, whether I'm throwing 84 or 94, who cares?"

The answer is many Nationals fans (and pestering reporters), who would be interested to know whether Wagner's fastball is close to what once made him a first-round pick by the Cincinnati Reds. Another man interested is likely Jim Bowden, the general manager who drafted Wagner in 2003 and traded him for with the Nationals.

"I'm basically back to where I was before I got injured -- 88 to 91," Wagner said. "Slider's back to the speed, working the changeup in there is good, everything is good."

About the past:

I present to you, simply for enjoyment, an excerpt from pg. 50 of Shirley Povich's anthology book. Gotta love the ol' candy vendor-to-ballplayer jump. Perhaps the Nats can invert such a conversion.

Anyway, here goes.

He's writing about Bob Feller's debut as a teenager in the big leagues...

"He was a pretty good pitcher, too, good enough to pitch his team into the national semipro tournament last season at Dayton, Ohio, where he struck out 18 in a night game and gained the attention of C.C. Slapnicka, Cleveland Scout. Cleveland signed him to one of their New Orleans farm contracts, brought him to the Cleveland lots, and gave him a job selling peanuts and candy (in the grandstands at Cleveland park) during the summer. As part of the show, during an exhibition game with the Cardinals last July 7, they called him out of the stands, gave him a uniform and let him pitch three innings. You know what happened -- how he struck out eight Cardinals in those three innings and found his name in screaming headlines."

By Chico Harlan  |  July 30, 2008; 8:01 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Philadelphia pregame
Next: Lineups

Comments

OK, Chico, this is like a brain exercise that I'm sure will stave off all manner of brainly ill. "The lack of production from the offense nullifies a solid performance from ______as the _______lose to the __________, ____." Take away the proper nouns from that sentence, and you've pretty much got the most repeated phrase of the decade. Not just in baseball, either. The Post writes that sentence more often than Lil Jon says "Yeah." You have to take away the baseball specific words like "pitching" and the score to get to football, where Washington has been doing its multi-sport salute to the Dead Ball Era since Marty Schttenheimer's West Coast "Offense" had John Madden exclaiming, "What are they trying to do here?!!!?! Isn't the object of the game to score?" Lil John is a rapper spoofed by Dave Chapelle in skits where his only comments on life are "Yeah!"

Posted by: flynnie | July 30, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Just one more trade. It's all I ask before Thursday, since asking for runs to be scored is unreasonable. Open up another slot on the roster.

Posted by: Positively Half St | July 30, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Sounded like the Philly fans enjoyed themselves last night. Attendance in the mid-30s all week. These are banner nights for the Lerners.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Next year the Lerners should offer Phillies and Mets t-shirt promotions when they come to town. DC is a tourist destination, so why bother with the hometown fans? Come on down to Washington, see the sights, and pay premium prices to watch your team get some easy wins.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

culture of losing is officially locked in place.

clear out these veterans fast before they do any more damage. they all knew why they were here. but they weren't ever supposed to be quitters. we call them "professionals" because they get paid, not because of their work ethic.

glad to see balester sticking it out.

Posted by: longterm | July 30, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

The team's recent performance confirms what was obvious to everyone except Bowden, Manny and Kasten ( I omit Lerner because the old man does not even know he owns a baseball team). Injuries are not the reason for this team's inept performance. The team not only lacks skill but it also has accepted losing. The team has quit, plain and simple. They are lost at the plate and on the base paths. As much as I like Dukes's effort, he will not make a difference when he returns. The team has no leader among the players or the coaching staff. To protect their jobs both Bowden and Manny blame the injuries. This team was miserable before the injuries and is just as bad with injured players back. Zimmerman reminds me of Pena swinging at outside pitches. Kearns falls over the plate every time he swings. Milledge over swings on every pitch. One could go on and on. We see the same thing every game and nothing changes.

Even the fans on NJ are beginning to accept losing. One can tell by tone of the posts. I guess everyone reaches a saturation point.

I think the team's bottom could be reached on August 15th. On that date we will have maybe 80 loses and we will have failed to sign our top draft picks making 2008 a lost year.

This team is on pace to be the worst Nats/Expos team in their 39 year history.

We will eventually cut Pena and Lopez and they will realize their potential. Pena will become the Mets starting left fielder and hit 40 home runs. Lopez will become an all star again. Cordero will save 50 games for someone else.

This team did not have to be this bad in order to implement the Plan. The team is the result of trying to cut corners at the major league level. We have created a loser's environment. Players do not like playing for a losing organization. They make this known every time they play.

Posted by: mjames | July 30, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Just a note that, according to the timeline in his posting last night, it would be Mark Viera, not Chico who is posting (although Chico's name appears in the byline).

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 30, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

New posted again... Drat!

I've asked here before and not seen an answer: If the Nats fire Lenny Harris, who is available to replace him? Is the ghost of Charlie Lau available?

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | July 30, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Six-word summary of last night's game...

Bowden's Binary Batsmen Barely Bruise Brett.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 30, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I would *never* work with these losers!

Spanky was deemed the "face of the franchise," and he's taken it to heart. Meaning he's lost, and may be lost forever.

Kearns is an unmitigated disaster -- have you heard the music he picks for his at-bats?

The only winner is Flores. And Jesus just told me *he's* in for an injury [due to a misappropriated name . . .].

I will not go back to work in DC

Posted by: Ghost of Charley Lau | July 30, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"You know what happened -- how he struck out eight Cardinals in those three innings and found his name in screaming headlines."

This gives me a GREAT idea for a promotion for any other team in the majors....

This is definitely Chico's post, since he's reading Shirley Povich right now, I suspect in an effort to even further better himself as a sports writer and also give him more history about baseball in DC. He's that kind of guy, we're really lucky.

Chico, on the next off day, what do you think of having a book recommendation post? We haven't had one for over a year and I'm interested in the baseball books that have interest to some of our "new" posters, even though I'm sure they're eligible for the blog pension plan already. What, they didn't tell you guys about that?

I hate the Phillies more than anyone and hate their fans even more, but let 'em come and fork over their money, it just goes into our coffers.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Ray Knight will be the replacement for Harris the rest of the season. He is an ex Red so that is good enough for Jimbo......Once Jimbo is gone, man what a house cleaning this will be......I can not think of an organization more in need of a fresh approach.

Posted by: JayB | July 30, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

The Philly fans' money goes in Lerner's bank account not into on-field talent.

"If the Nats fire Lenny Harris, who is available to replace him?" It will be hard to find someone willing to work for less.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Batting Buffoons Becalmed By Brett

(Couldn't fit the sixth word in, dang it)

Posted by: Dale | July 30, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Befuddled batting buffoons becalmed by Brett.

Posted by: samantha7 | July 30, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Hey Anon, where does the Red Sox ticket and concessions money spent last night go? I bet the dole it out to their on-field talent the next morning. They all huddle around the table and count it out.

One for Youk, one for Manny, one for Papi...

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Samantha7,

Brilliat!

Posted by: Dale | July 30, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

errr, Brilliant!

Posted by: Dale | July 30, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

In 12 months the Nats have gone from scrappy overachievers to a "culture of losing". The only three players that got significant playing time last year that are not here this year are Schneider, Church, and Logan. I'm guessing that most on NJ would not attribute last year's scrappiness to Logan or Church. I certainly wouldn't. Was Schneider that important? I was a big fan of his, but can one personality make that big a difference? Have their replacements Milledge, Lo Duca, and Dukes been that big a drag on the team's attitude. They all seem to play hard if not well. Maybe it's simply that there have in fact been a lot of injuries. Maybe it is that a full season of Lenny Harris has killed the offense. Maybe they were lucky last year and unlucky this year.

Posted by: #4 | July 30, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Rauch got AZ out of a bases loaded jam last night.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Diagnosing the problems at this point would be complicated and I am sure that better baseball minds than mine are trying. Sometimes you just need to shake something up - anything at all - to break the ruts and wake everyone up. A trade, a dfa, benchings.... something, anything....As a fan I am looking forward to call- ups, watching the minors ( Detweiler put it all together last night) and salivating over that first draft choice for next year.

Posted by: masnstinks | July 30, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

you know who is out there right. mr. dunn goes to washington sounds like a bad sequel to an already poor remake. any takers? odds?

Posted by: theraph | July 30, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Dale, I had a strong foundation to put the cap on the pyramid! (Perhaps inside the tomb is the key to the mystery of the befuddled batsmen's woes.)

Posted by: samantha7 | July 30, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

12 months ago we had a bad team on the way to an 89 loss season. Mark and Stan set the tone that losing now doesn't matter and the team has reflected their attitude.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

They've fallen and they can't get up.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

this year's team is also missing meat hook, cordero, shawn hill, and an effective bullpen. mostly though it is the offense. it's offensive. these guys don't trust the hitter behind them. and they don't seem to care about the pitcher. they just do what they do...

i'm afraid next year we are relying on Nick Johnson again.

Posted by: longterm | July 30, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The answer...a life alert necklace for each of them.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

#4,

Could it be that this is a team that has no power but is managed like it does? I see the batters taking full swings (except Flores and Harris) on every pitch, even with two strikes. We actually manufactured a run last night with an error by Utley, bunt sacrafice by Langerhans and ground out for RBI by Harris. I know that Manny does not believe in small ball but this team strands too many runners. I believe that we had the first batter reach base in at least 4 innings last night and failed to get into scoring position.

Posted by: Dale | July 30, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

@#4,

Good questions. I tend to think it is a combination of Jimbo being much more involved in daily roster and line-up moves as he feels the heat of Pena, Estrada, Young et all dragging down the team. I think this effect has dragged down Acta, to the point that he has not reacted to the likes of Lopez not running on dropped 3rd strikes and Milledge not calling balls, running into outs and swinging from his heals without a plan night after night.

All this and many many early season trends could have been reversed back in early June but when Jimbo came out with his "Harris is part of the solution, not the problem" crap this let this spiral down. Acta blaming youth when his lineup is full of vets and averages over 28 years old has caused everyone to give in. If your manager is out of touch and phoning it in........why should players focus on the real issues?

Again, a world class mess in need of a major house cleaning. I would say 5 Coaches and FO types need to be fired and be replaced with proven talent to have a hope of reversing this culture of losing by Spring Training.

Posted by: JayB | July 30, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"I'm hoping to post some info here later, so check back" says Intern Viera. I did.

Joke was on me, I guess.

Good one. You got me.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 30, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

To expand on my earlier comment - when things are going bad - just try SOMETHING different. It would be highly entertaining to watch everyone practice their bunting and tire out the infield. By the way - did you see Langerhansssssss execute when it was his turn last night? It was also kind of funny that Phila ( who, by the way should have beaten us to a pulp with the way we were non-hitting) kept trying to hit the ball out, mistakenly thinking they were in their very own band box.

Posted by: masnstinks | July 30, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, JayB, when has Meat Hook held the lineup back? Dmitri's problem has been NOT playing.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I don't see at this point how the blame cannot fall squarely on the hitting coach. I watched Myers last start against the Mets. I watched him walk 5 players in 5 innings, including walking in multiple runs. I watched him throw 46 balls out of the 95 pitches it took him to get through 5 innings. I also watched him make the Mets regret it when the swung at any of his pitches.

I don't understand how a hitting coach could watch that game film (assuming we still use fancy little things like game film) and still tell his hitters to be aggressive. Myers has trouble finding the zone, gets rattled, and then throws the ball over the middle of the plate. I am just a typical baseball fan and I can tell you the correct gameplan. How is the hitting coach unable to figure this out?

Either Lenny is not preaching a gameplan is so obvious that I could figure it out, or the players are not listening to a thing he says. Either way the solution is simple. Normally I preach that a player or front office exec should not be let go without a better alternative. Instead I propose that I am a better alternative, any one of you is a better alternative, I miss Capital Punishment so I can read Chris's favorite phrase: "FIRE LENNY!!!"

Posted by: VT Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Harris < Acta < Bowden < Kasten < Lerner

If someone is a complete failure, who is responsible to correcting the problem?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"would the angels trade for tex and not attempt to sign him? i think he is as good as locked up - so we can take our wishful thinking elsewhere?"
___________________________________

The Angels traded for 2+ months of Tex. Honestly, what were they offering us for the same amount of time with Soriano (who was playing far better baseball at the time)?

It looks like the Braves got good return for Tex, though gave up a lot to get him in the first place.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

So what are the consequences to the batter of not following a hitting plan? If Lenny has a plan that means taking a few pitches for every at bat and the player swings at the first pitch what follows when he returns to the dugout? Is it Lenny's place to tell him he failed to execute or is it Manny's job to tell him? Is anyone getting the message? Last night was an example of some of the meekist batting that I have seen. I think we had one line drive out that I recall.

Posted by: Dale | July 30, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Young has been a problem because Jimbo ignored the potential problems ahead, paid big $ ahead of time, ignored the weight problems in the off season, ignored them again in the spring. All this in ineffectual managing of the issues and the lost playing time, as well as Young just not giving a damn anymore has indeed dragged the team down. Young was the "leader", and this is where he led them....if you can not take care of yourself how can you lead others? This is all just another example of Jimbo's failure to admit mistakes and being paralyzed by the realization that he is not smarter than everyone else in baseball.

Posted by: JayB | July 30, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I think the Braves got burned on Teix. Salty was worth far more than a two half-years loaner.

The Angels would trade for Teixiera because they want to win the World Series this year. They wouldn't sign him, because they don't want to pay his free agent salary next year. Classic loaner.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Detwiler had a great outing last night! Gave up only one run on six hits and one walk over six innings. Zimmermann's throwing tonight, should be two good starts for the P Nats in a row.
I refuse to be dragged into the misery that is now the NJ norm!

Posted by: Section 138 | July 30, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

i think they are going to sign him. new mgmt, new aggressive style. signing hunter, trading for tex, trading a young great fielding under control for years 1b to get tex...

it might smell like a classic loaner. but i would not rule out a long term signing.

Posted by: theraph | July 30, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Losing is no fun, but there are worse things in life. For some perspective, a recent update on the Coolbaugh family.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 30, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I've got to say that ALL of you take yourselves WAY too seriously when we can get this far down in number of comments and NO ONE has pointed out the singularly greatest thing about this post.

Obviously it is the Cleveland scout's name:

C.C. Slapnicka

Friggin' spectacular!

Posted by: Ryan | July 30, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Acta is a company man who doesn't have any players to work with. He doesn't scream and shout, but what would that accomplish anyway? A team 10 games under .500? The FIRE ACTA crowd should be screaming FIRE BOWDEN. Managers can only manage what they are given. Manny wasn't given much. Bowden is a "fool for tools" like Boswell said earlier, who can't put together a decent team. There are no easy solutions to this problem. But the problem was created by Bowden.

Posted by: NatsFanMA | July 30, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

506 - I disagree on Texiera in LA. I don't think the Angles would have given up their 25 yo first baseman if they didn't intend to keep Texiera around. As far as I can tell they don't have anyone ready to fill that slot if Texiera leaves and they have more than enough cash to pay for an extension.

A lot depends on what Texiera's plan is, does he intend to test the market regardless of what happens this year in LA or what they offer?

They could annouce and extension any day, but more likely they will wait till after the post season to finalize a deal without waiting for him to file for FA, but again that assumes Texiera is willing to sign a deal before seeing what the market has to offer.

I think Texiera stays in LA, but I wouldn't bet the bank on that.

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

With Schnieder sitting on the bench for the Mets, the Milledge trade is looking good right now. Bowden had to try to piece together a team on a cut-rate Lerner budget. He should be fired, but that won't solve the real problem with this team.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

theraph-
Rosenthal thinks the halos will not attempt to resign Tex. They're high on AAA prospect Kendry Morales, they need $$$ to re-sign Vlad after next year, and since they have a *Plan*, would welcome the 2 compensation draft picks they would get if Tex (a type A free agent) departs. They will try, probably, so the Nats would have to pay over market to get him - but that was going to be the case anyhow.

OK, on the more positive side, how about the performance turned in by our YOUNG, TALENTED pitching last night? Balester (22), Mock (25), and Hanrahan (26) combine for 8.0IP, 9K/0BB, 2ER in the big leagues, while down on the farm:
AAA- Estrada (25): 7.0IP, 3K/0BB, 0 ER, W
A- Detwiler (22): 6.0IP, 6K/1BB, 1 ER, W
A- Cespedes (21): 6.0IP, 5K/2BB, 0 ER

Help is on the way! (I hope, and not soon, but still...)

Posted by: nat in beantown | July 30, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

isn't teixiera a boras client? if so (and i think he is), then you *KNOW* he's going to test the FA market and not sign a deal ahead of time. boras clients just don't do that. and guys that want to do that don't tend to be boras clients.

keep in mind that the angels have a few other guys in the minors capable of playing 1B. they've got brandon wood and kendry morales. not to mention quinlan. and there are rumors they plan on moving juan rivera to 1B next year.

i think teixiera leaves and goes to a big-market east coast team for big money.

Posted by: 231 | July 30, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Nat in Beantown - Cespedes pitches for Lexington.

From today's NFA;

"LHP Tommy Milone made his first start for Hagerstown, allowing only three hits over six shutout innings while striking out five."

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

estuartj - when you are grasping for a lifeboat, sometimes you grab the anchor :)

Thanks for the correction (but there's still a lot to like)

Posted by: nat in beantown | July 30, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

As estuartj states, you've kind of combined Milone and Cespedes' stats.

Tommy Milone(21):6.0IP; 5K/0BB; 0ER

Posted by: Section 138 | July 30, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I really doubt there will be an extension for Tex. 1. He has Boras and will go to free agency. They wouldn't even talk to the Braves about an extension. Poor Braves. 506, I completely agree with you. Salty and Andrus are going to be huge. 2. I don't think it's good baseball to negotiate with a new player when you're starting the pennant race (unless you are going to overwhelm them, and with Boras, that's not going to happen).

But regardless, I still think that with the year Soriano was having plus the fact that he had an agent not named Boras, made him more valuable than Tex was. Which begs the question (though we will never know), what was Bowden offered? What would Bowden have been offered if he didn't put off other GMs with such a high initial bar?

What other GMs have come out with grand trade requirements? "Unless you're going to offer 2 top-tier propects and a mid-level propect, don't even bother."

The Tex and Sabathia deals show that you can get good value for rentals. Maybe the trading deadline climate has changed in the past 2 years with parity...

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Crystal Ball reading of the day;

November 11, 2008

The Washington Nationals annouced today that all star first baseman Dmitri Young has decided to retire in order to deal with health issues. Young has suffered from Type 1 diabetes for several years, but after his all-star performance in 2007 he and the team hoped it was under control and Young signed a 2 year, $10 million extension that summer. Since then he has battled obesity and several naggin injuries culminating in his being put on the disabled list in July of 2008. Young had hoped to be back for the 2009 season, but his deteriorating health has finally ended his career.

Young is still owed $5 million on this contract, but several team sources have hinted that Young may be willing to renegotiate the terms of his contract and Nationals Jim Bowden all but offered Young the now vacant position of hitting coach vacated by now Nationals Associate Scouting Director Lenny Harris.

Posted by: MO Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

One good thing about baseball - another day, another game - perhaps after a couple of days at home, jet lag and west coast lag eases and we put together a good one against the contending phils . Even as lame as we looked last night we came close .... One good game and we're back to being giddy again like we were after Atlanta.

Posted by: masnstinks | July 30, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

before people get all carried away that bowden asked for the moon for soriano and because of that, nobody would talk to him, look at what atlanta asked for from LA first.

[quote]Initially, according to a source, the Braves asked for Kotchman, top pitching prospect Nick Adenhart and a third player in exchange for Teixeira. [/quote]

yes, they wanted not only kotchman, but the angels' top pitching prospect (the highly regarded adenhart) *AND* a third player.

the ended up with kotchman and the third player.

there's nothing wrong with asking for a lot. it's not uncommon. people don't necessarily get insulted by it and decide never to talk to you again.

Posted by: 231 | July 30, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I love the Tex trade, even if it turns into only a rental. The Angels plan to resign Teixeira, whether its before (doubtful) or during the free agency period. Teixeira's new contract will be outrageous with NYY, BAL & NYM as potential bidders. If Tex doesnt resign, Morales (big bonus Cuban defector) is the inhouse fall back option. Morales is considered a similar bat to Kotchman with less potential long term power and much worse defensively. Behind Morales, Mark Trumbo was just promoted to AA Arkansas. Big time power but lots of K's and poor defense. Rivera is a free agent after this season, and there isnt a consensus if he will resign. Quinlan is purely a utility guy with too many weaknesses exposed over extended playing time.

LAA has a ton of money coming off the books this season and Arte Moreno will spend, so there is optimism Teixeira will stick around.

It will be a busy offseason for the Angels...KRod, Anderson, Lackey, Guerrero, Garland, Teixeira & Rivera are all free agents (Guerrero, Lackey & Anderson have club options for 2009). Either way, the Angels will probably wind up with a boatload of draft picks next April and still have a contender in 2009.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 30, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Also, in any Soriano vs Texiera trade/non-trade comparison you have to look at what the team gave up in the first place. Salty vs Wilky (and Galarraga and Sledge - whatever!).

I think in the end Atlanta made themselves a worse team in the last 2 years, but I do like the adding of a AA prospect arm as part of the deal, keep collecting those and your bound to find a few diamonds in the rough (like Galaragga for instance).

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"now, if you persist and insist constantly and never lower your demands, that's different. but there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting high in your trade talks. it sure didn't hurt this deal."
__________________________

All indications point to YES. Bowden is that type of guy.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"Young has suffered from Type 1 diabetes for several years"

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | July 30, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"756* I'm not convinced that Texiera and Sabathia aren't going to end up staying with the new respective clubs. Not for sure they will, but I don't believe either club traded for them as pure rentals."

--Sure, they may want to resign them, but it's going to be after they tested the free agent market. The team has got to hope the player likes it there, etc., but there are no hometown discounts with Boras. Even if they resign the player in FA when every other team has had the same shot, how is it still not a rental?

--Why? I'm trying to look at what was received for two very similar guys (power, FA-status, etc).

--I agree. ATL gave up a lot to get Tex and they knew he was going to FA. I guess they thought that they could convince him otherwise.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

never said he wasn't, 756. just that people have to realize that *most* GMs start high. it's common.

Posted by: 231 | July 30, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Great game by Collin Balester last night. In other news a lot of fans in the stands last night so I bet the Lerners are sitting back counting their money smiling. Too bad we'll never see any of that spent on the team because all they care about is themselves.

Posted by: Cheap, Cheap, Cheap | July 30, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

This guy is a twofer - former Red and ALWAYS injured!!

Signed as minor league free agent by the Washington Nationals, Darryl Lawhorn has journeyed through the minor leagues. He was originally drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2004 First-Year Player Draft but was forced to miss the subsequent season because of a broken foot.

The 2005 season did not treat him any better as Lawhorn suffered a similar injury to his foot during the first game of Spring Training.

The 25-year-old then signed with the Cincinnati Reds in 2006 where again an injury halted his playing career. Due to a fractured left tibia in extended Spring Training he was released by the Reds

THREE years = THREE season ending injuries

maybe we should just sign healthy guys??

Posted by: Twofer | July 30, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Great point, Ryan, but does he use periods after his initials?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

It has been said many times that the way to build a team is first to stock it with pitching prospects. That mission is apparently deep down the road on the way to being accomplished. OK, next must come the bats. Where are they? I guess you can't do both at the same time. Hopefully, this can be accomplished before the arms go from riches to rags. If everyone was healthy I think we'd been 10 games better than we are now. That said, are the Nats really as bad off as they appear? Can good health and a couple of premium free agents turn the tide next spring? I don't know, but I don't think it's as bad as it appears long term. Am I crazy?

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

And to re-hash my only criticism of the Rauch-Bonifacio trade, I wish we had gotten a A or AA prospect are in addition to Boni, ARI has a ton of them and when you trying to rebuild your farm system you've got to take every opportunity to bring in more talent, even if most of them will be scraps.

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Cal Ripken should get him on a milk-drinking program.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"Wrong! DY has Type 2. There is a huge difference. Ron Santo had Type 1, which is typically known as juvenile onset diabetes. The difference is that Type 2 is much more related to diet and exercise than Type 1 (not to blame the victim)."

Hey, I only read the crystal ball, I don't do the Nats fact checking...

Posted by: MO Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

_________________________________

I'm glad you know the difference, b/c odds are the Nats' training staff doesn't.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

This whole season was lost when Dimitri Young was not given an off season weight program and his diabetes was not monitered by a physician,He(Young) came to spring traning overweight and out of shape I've blogged about this numerous times.Jimbo and Manny are to held be accountable for this huge oversight. Felipe Lopez was allowed to mouth off to the local press and media about his demotion during spring training with no concequences and has had a poor attitude throughout the season.The bullpen considered by many to be the one bright spot on this team has been average at best and the hitting? ABYSMAL!!! The Lerners should clean house at the end of the season and bring back Frank Robinson to run the day to day operations of the franchise at least the fans will know they are serious about turning this franchise into a winner.

Posted by: Dargregmag@aol.com | July 30, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Here's a question: Say you're a team FO flush with new revenue and a low payroll. Say you're dedicated to a longterm building process through drafts and scouting. You've got some extra cash lying around (but ONLY for use in the rebuilding process). Plus, it would be nice to put a few fannies in seats ($$) for the next two months of a lost season.

Would a Washburn

Posted by: nat in beantown | July 30, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

i like frank. i have good memories of frank here. but i don't really want frank running the day-to-day operations of this club. how about we actually hire up-and-comers who really know what's going on out there today? like i said, i like frank, but he's not the guy to run a franchise.

Posted by: 231 | July 30, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I loved Frank too, but letting him anywhere near our young pitchers is like giving vodka and car keys to a 18 yo boy.

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wonder about Manny's seeming passivity in the dugout. With most of the teams veterans either injured - meat Loaf, NJ -, ineffective - LoDuca, FLop, WMP - or both I worry whether a laissez-faire attitude has permeated the clubhouse. This team has no on-field spark. The body language is bad and I wonder if Manny has come to the realization that his team is so overmatched that there isn't anything he can realistically do to get better results?

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 30, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Re: scnatsfan -- It's amazing to me the tiny differences that are involved in a 10 game difference. Look at our recent losses -- the run differential is miniscule. One lucky ground ball with eyes, one close call going our way, one mental error - those are the types of things that are making the difference between wins and losses here. Surely at some point those things start going our way. We are almost always NOT getting beat by a large margin. Please --karma, voodoo, something......

Posted by: masnstinks | July 30, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"Can good health and a couple of premium free agents turn the tide next spring? I don't know, but I don't think it's as bad as it appears long term. Am I crazy?"

SCNF: well, maybe not "crazy" in a general sense, but I think kind of leaning towards insanely optimistic.

That's just nuts. That means that an average team has 4 to 5 hitters that are better than our best hitter (who, let's face it, could very well be having a career year).

Worse, it's hard to imagine where Nat's management is going to put additional bats, even if they're willing to go get them: virtually every position is filled with a player the Nats seem to be viewing as the future: Flores, Bonifacio, Zim, Guz, Dukes, Milledge, Kearns. The only really open position is first, which just happens to have our two best hitters when healthy (NJ, DY).

I just don't see the tide turning any time soon. It seems like we're perpetually locked in the same off-season -- if only this guy gets healthy; if only that guy returns to form; if only these guys realize their full potential, blah, blah, blah.

Posted by: joebleux | July 30, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Know what the difference between hitting .250 and .300 is? It's 25 hits. 25 hits in 500 at bats is 50 points, okay? There's 6 months in a season, that's about 25 weeks. That means if you get just one extra flare a week - just one - a gorp... you get a groundball, you get a groundball with eyes... you get a dying quail, just one more dying quail a week... and you're in Yankee Stadium.

Posted by: Crash Davis | July 30, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Something funny...the Atlanta Journal Constitution has a poll asking where the Braves will finish in the NL east after the Tex trade....can you believe that as of right now 267 have responded fifth? How the heck is that supposed to happen with the Nats standing in cement blocks?

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

BTW: Dukes went 2 for 3 with a double, a single and a walk last night for Columbus. It looks like he was also thrown out trying to steal second.

Sounds like his knee is doing much better.

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | July 30, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Bang zoom...its now 310 for the Bravos to finish 5th...huh?

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Dukes was picked off 2nd base in the 8th inning last night (so that's a PO not a CS).

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Crash, nice speech if you're giving a pep talk to some random rookie (let's call him "Meat").

But in reality, good hitters hit, bad hitters don't, and the luck evens out over the long run.

Posted by: joebleux | July 30, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, if we're looking for offense, our old friend Jose Guillen is looking for a new home, because he is unhappy in KC. There aren't too many players as offensive as him. Gee, could #6 help the club house chemistry as an added bonus?

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | July 30, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, thanks to everyone who helped explain the whole waiver-trade thing yesterday. There were several very nice explanations.

That poll about the Braves is too funny. If one were disposed to this type of reflection, one also might consider it as an example of how herd opinion can swiftly swing negative without anywhere near adequate reason to do so.

Not sure why I thought that appropriate to mention right now.

Posted by: Scooter | July 30, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"can you believe that as of right now 267 have responded fifth? How the heck is that supposed to happen with the Nats standing in cement blocks?"

Definitely the result of fans wanting to believe their team is special, either bad or good. Hmmmm, maybe said fans don't need to demand a hanging and arson because their team is just normally bad and is working towards improving.

There's only one serious explanation for what has happened this year, all mature, rational people will agree. Voodoo. Clearly the gods of baseball, who are just, but not merciful, are punishing us for not being historically bad last year by inflicting resounding mediocrity on us this year. We won't be worst in franchise history, or worst in baseball history, we'll just be bad. I suspect they will further cause us to not be worst in baseball, denying us the first draft pick.

Oh, ye fickle gods!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Is there a Crash Davis type out there somewhere??? Please. I think we all know that there are hitters on our team with the POTENTIAL to have good batting averages. I also think it's pretty obvious that if the hitting improves even a little our won/loss looks a ton better. Atlanta is pretty bad - we need a goal.....

Posted by: masnstinks | July 30, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey, when Da Meathook "renegotiates" his salary with Jimbo, does Jimbo get to "skim" some of the money off of it?

Posted by: Section 8 | July 30, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

aaahaaaaa...voodooo...I knew it!!

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

From MLBTR today;

"the Rockies are indeed interested in Washburn. Tim Redding and Josh Fogg are a couple other names on the radar."

Tim Redding for A+ SS prospect Chris Nelson and a similair level pitcher (Say Brandon Hynick) sound about right...I think those two are both in ARI top 10 prospects, but are number 7 and 9 or something like that.

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone go to the game last night? I'm a STH so its either go to the game or eat the ticket. I usually go since there are not many takers these days! 34K+ fools sitting in a suana, nad thing the majority
were Filty Fans, but what the heck they spend and sweat just as much as we do.

One of the perks of being a STH and going to the game is, with the Nats you are always pretty much guarenteed to be out of there in <2.5 hours. The amount of first ball pitches these guys swing at is incrediable. We make every opposing "dreg" pitcher look like Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Christy Matthewson, Bob Feller, Whitey Ford, Sandy Kofax, Bob Gibson, Thom Seaver, Steve Carleton, Jim Palmer, Nolan Ryan, Don Sutton, Doc Gooden, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana!

Paging Mr. Lenny Harris, please pick up the white courtesy phone located on the lower level airport concourse.

Posted by: Tippy Canoe | July 30, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tippy, if your afraid you'll have to eat Thursday's ticket I'm looking to get to a game since I won't be able to again for a while...

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

wasn't rick short the definition of Crash Davis? I mean, BA instead of HR, but it's the same thing. To be honest, I'm hoping for a few Nuke Laloosh's instead...

Also, Scooter: bless your subtlety. I laughed out loud.

Posted by: nat in beantown | July 30, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

didn't manny acta himself say bad teams find ways to lose close games. what does it matter if we lose 10-0 or 2-1?

it's not the youth, it's not the injuries. it's the attitude. mopey major leaguers are the worst.

Posted by: longterm | July 30, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

mopey majorleaguers make me miss my moms mmmmmm mmmmmmm macaroni.

Posted by: longterm | July 30, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

estuartj; Sorry but I actually sold all three tickets for Thurs vs Phillies (50% discount) to a guy in my office that (believe it or not) has never been to a Nats game. Poor guy is going to go there and wonder if he made a wrong turn on I95 and ended up at Citizens Bank Park. Go figure!

Posted by: Tippy Canoe | July 30, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

It's great to see the young nationals' pitchers doing so well. At the same time, it's extremely frustrating to see them pitch so well only to have zero offense support them. Short of a trade, there isn't really anything that management can do about that because there aren't any impact bats that are ready in the minors. I think they will give a few guys a shot in September, but for the most part, we're stuck with an anemic offense for the rest of the year.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | July 30, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Chico,

Tough beat huh?

Thank you for recently pointing out to us that Acta seems to have fallen into a false sense of reality in blaming youth for the troubles of the line up. Problem is, we know that, what would be helpful is IF YOU pointed out this to ACTA. I would do it but I don't have a daily meeting with him and you do.

Thank you for recently writing about Chad and Jimbo's poor handling of the contract issues. Again what would be helpful is if you confronted Jimbo on the false impression he created on at best and the outright lie he told you all. Again I would do this but I do not see him ever walking around the upper deck. You get to approach him daily on the field I am told.

Come on give us some help here. Things will not get better until the team leaders are forced to face facts and reality. Don't let Nats create a world based on false statements and half truths....please!

Posted by: Just One of many questions Chico will not take today | July 30, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"One lucky ground ball with eyes, one close call going our way, one mental error - those are the types of things that are making the difference between wins and losses here. Surely at some point those things start going our way. We are almost always NOT getting beat by a large margin. Please --karma, voodoo, something......"

Did you ever consider that this stretch might be the karmic payback for June 2005, the month of the one-run wonders? Karma ain't always instant, but it is gonna getcha, after all.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 30, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Karma police, arrest this man!

Posted by: Thom Yorke | July 30, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I think people are clamoring to bring up kids that probably are not ready because of the abysmal major league product running out there every night. It's understandable, but we need to keep some perspective and think about the development of these players rather than satisfying our own desires to see something, anything different from what we have seen this season.

Posted by: Give them time | July 30, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

agree, don't rush the minor leaguers.

Posted by: longterm | July 30, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, I'll be sporting a Vermont Lake Monsters hat around town because it's totally awesome.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy, but I don't think Adam Dunn would be a terrible pickup for this team in the offseason *depending on the money*. The Nats could use a high slugging/high OBP guy. An outfield with Kearns, Dunn, Milledge and Dukes all sharing time would be intriguing, no?

Posted by: Offense/offensive | July 30, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 12:25 PM

Last year Kyle Lohse returned Matt Maloney who is now considered the #8 prospect in the Reds' system. I would think that Tim Redding, given his injury history would not get as much. At best he might get someone comparable. I don't see how Nelson, the #4 prospect in a stacked system is parted with for Tim Redding. I'd love to see it happen, but think it would be a steal for the Nats. If the Rockies give up Nelson AND Hynick, their GM should be fired.

Posted by: #4 | July 30, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"Let's take a look at OPS (on base percentage + slugging), a decent stat for quick evaluation: you might guess that Guz is our top hitter in that category. Do you know where that ranks in the NL? Sixty-freakin'sixth. That's right, you have to scroll down past 65 other hitters until you get to the first Nat on the list."

Zimmmerman, Johnson, Kearns, Dukes, Milledge, Flores. Do any of these guys, all of whom have spent big chunks of the season on the DL or the bench, have enough ABs to qualify for the list you cite? Just asking, because I've got to think that all of them if healthy and not in some bizarre slump would have an OPS higher than Guzman - even in a career year for Guz.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 30, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder whether the people grasping for whatever change they can get their hands on (front office firings, minor league call-ups, lineup musical chairs) are the same people who are mad that we let Soriano go, lost Livan, and fired Frank. (Not saying they are the same people, just saying I wonder.)

There is no progress without change.

Not all change is progress.

Posted by: patience is a virtue | July 30, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"My question is whether there are some Type B's out there that would essentially be "salary dump" two month rentals, where we wouldn't really give up much besides absorbing the contract? It would essentially be like buying high draft picks without losing anything but cash. Would a Washburn-type qualify?"
_____________________________________

I think they're asking for a top prospect for him, which would negate any gains made through compensation picks.

The Brewers did something similar last year when they got Scott Linebrink from SD.

From scout.com
The Trade: The Padres traded eighth inning setup man Scott Linebrink, 31, for three Milwaukee Brewers minor league pitchers, Right-hander Will Inman, 20 and left-handers Steve Garrison, 20, and Joe Thatcher, 25.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Regardng Guzman and the teams OPS;

E Dukes .801
D Young .794
J Flores .773
R Belliard .766
W Harris .763
C Guzman .746

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

As one of the parties calling for change in the front office and limited minor league call ups (I'm not in favor of rushing minor leaguers, but there are a few players that I think should get a chance in September), I will say that 1. I am glad the Nationals did not give Soriano a crazy 8 yr/$130 million (or whatever it was) contract; 2. giving up Livan for 2 prospects was absolutely the right move; and 3. firing Frank was the right move, they just handled it quite poorly.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | July 30, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

RKGF: if you lower the number of required at-bats to 100, Nick would be 43rd in OPS, Dukes 65th, and Flores 88th (Guz would drop to 107; Belliard and Harris would also pass him).

Still pretty pathetic.

And Kearns? Are you kidding? Love AK, hope he gets it straightened out, but he's hitting .211 (with an OPS of .623).

Posted by: joebleux | July 30, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Section 506 (Before moving)-

I have a Monsters hat myself I bought a couple years ago. I was afraid they weren't going to re-up with Vermont, but happily they did. Great year last year, decent one this year as well.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ding, ding ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
The minimum plate appearances needed is 327 right now. Who qualifies?
Guzman, and........
NO ONE! The next closest is Flop with 322, and 3rd is Milledge with 315.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 30, 2008 1:12 PM

Posted by: Section 138 | July 30, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

The precautionary MRI performed this morning on SS Cristian Guzman's left thumb returned negative and confirmed the original diagnosis of a soft-tissue contusion at the base of the thumb. He is considered day-to-day.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I know you were joking, Twinbrook, but it allows me to mention the MLBTR write up on Guillen, which mentions a National:
"Guillen would even defer some of the $24MM owed to him for 2009-10, if it would increase the chances of a trade. He is hitting .260/.287/.446 in 408 plate appearances, which is actually pretty bad. 29 left fielders have been more productive this year, including Willie Harris."
********************************

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | July 30, 2008 12:08 PM

Posted by: Section 138 | July 30, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

From scout.com

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 1:31 PM

The problem, from the Nats POV on Washburn isn't the prospect price, its the 12m or so left on his contract. (I think he's signed thru next season). That's why the Yanks are holding out, they know they can get Washburn for just salary relief and the Ms would be smart to just let him go. Can't blame them for trying to drive a hrad bargain.)

The Linebrink deal should be a model for Nats moves. It cost a couple of low tier prospects and Linebrink's salary for two months and the Brewers got Type A compensation (I think I am too lazy to look it up).

It wouldn't hinder the Plan in any way all it would cost is MONEY. Money for the two months of checks and money to sign the draft picks. but this is the type of money the franchise should be spending.

You know, the Dodgers just lost Nomar for an extended period. Perhaps they's take Flop for Furcal? It would save the Dodgers about 3m and give them a starting SS for their Drive for .500 and the NL West Flag".

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | July 30, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

138: minor nit, but you're looking at at-bats, not plate appearances. Both Milledge and Lopez currently qualify.

And, nit to myself, I should have said "if you lower the number of required _plate appearances_ to 100", not "at-bats".

Posted by: joebleux | July 30, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

1) Section 506--favorite baseball book "Dock Ellis in the Country of Baseball" by Donald Hall
2) Trade--Austin Kearns, Paul LaDuca and our favorite young Dominican minor league shortstop to the Twins for Liriano.

Posted by: happytobeafan | July 30, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Brad Meyers had a pretty good outing today for Hagerstown;

Meyers 7.0IP 6H 2ER 1BB 8K 1HR 4.18ERA

Sadly he only got 1 run of support, the Suns loaded the bases in the 8th when Burgess stole 1b on a strike out, but the next batter hit into a double play.

Does any of this sound way too familiar?

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"You know, the Dodgers just lost Nomar for an extended period. Perhaps they's take Flop for Furcal? It would save the Dodgers about 3m and give them a starting SS for their Drive for .500 and the NL West Flag."
____________________

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"Can you trade someone on the DL?"

Negative

Posted by: Brian | July 30, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

This just came in over the wire; Nats traded veteran catcher Paul LoDuca for a bucket of balls and an ownership share of his race horse (Golden Spikes), to the Long Island Dukes of the Independent League. LoDuca will be joining former Nationals center fielder Nook Logan who was released by the Nationals at the end of the 2007 season. LoDuca was seen cleaning out his locker at Nationals Park just before noon today and was engaged in small talk with a few team mates, including Ryan Zimmerman, Austin Kearns and Pete Orr. When approched by several members of the media LoDuca dismissed his struggles this year as being the primary reason why he was traded to the Ducks. When asked what he thought of the trade, LoDuca said he was not surprised when Jim (Bowden) called him at home earlier this AM and told him; the good news was he was traded and heading back to New York but the bad news it was not to the Mets or Yankees but to the Ducks. Jim Bowden was reached by phone and asked why he made the trade outside of MLB and he emphatically denied rumours the Ducks made team owners Mark Lerner and Stan Kasten an offer they couldn't refuse. Buh-Bye Paulie!

Posted by: Tippy Canoe | July 30, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

To add insult to injury, the Suns loaded the bases again in the 9th, but couldn't get any runs across.

Besides Myer the other bright spot was Stephen King going 2 for 3 with a double and a BB and is now batting .283.

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"Can you trade someone on the DL? Or is just that you can't non-tender someone on the DL?"

Whether it's allowed or not, it would be pretty damn stupid for a GM to trade anything of value for a player who's on the DL, wouldn't it?

And obviously you CAN non-tender a player on the DL. Case in point: Chad Cordero.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 30, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Not to totally ruin everyone's day, but espn.com's Jerry Crasnick just posted his rankings of the nine worst midseason trades. The "winner?" Bartolo Colon from Cleveland to Montreal for Sizemore, Lee and Phillips among others.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 30, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to be dragged into the misery that is now the NJ norm!

Posted by: Section 138 | July 30, 2008 10:10 AM
---------------------------------------------

Was Zimmerman sent down to Potomac? I thought he'd made it all the way to Columbus...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

You cannot trade a player on the DL, the DL doesn't exist in the off-season so non-tendering a player on the DL is impossible.

You can of course announce your intentions to do whatever you want (no matter how stupid) anytime you want.

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 30, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"The "winner?" Bartolo Colon from Cleveland to Montreal for Sizemore, Lee and Phillips among others."

I'm not sure anyone here is surprised by that.

And RKGF, Chad hasn't been non-tendered yet, Bowden announced he will non-tender him after the season ends.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm just sucking at posting today. He's at Harrisburg, actually, so we are both off.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 2:27 PM

Posted by: Section 138 | July 30, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Nats have a young outfielder that's just tearing it up at Columbus -- Rogearvin Bernadina. They should call him up for a look with the big club."

Braaaaaaaan-don Watson!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

3 good starts for the P-Nats in a row.

Arneson's start on Monday was very solid.

Posted by: WebberDC | July 30, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"the DL doesn't exist in the off-season so non-tendering a player on the DL is impossible."

Does the 60-day DL not exist in the offseason? In other words, do you have to clear space on the 40-man roster for players who are on the 60-day DL at the end of the season if you want to keep them?

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 30, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

ps - Zimmermann is is Harrisburg.

Posted by: WebberDC | July 30, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

All players must come off the the DL oduring the off-season, both 15 and 60 day DL guys. They take a spot on the 40-man roster where they remain until the next season.

Posted by: Brian | July 30, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

All players must come off the the DL during the off-season, both 15 and 60 day DL guys. They take a spot on the 40-man roster where they remain until the next season.

Posted by: Brian | July 30, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Braaaaaaaan-don Watson!" 506

DO NOT put Bernadina and Watson in the same category. Watson was hitting very light .300 last year at AAA, but his OBP and SLG were terrible.

Bernadina's line in the minors (including AA, he only has 15 games in Columbus) is;
.332/.410/.489/.899 with 77/39 K/BB and 33 of 42 SB (79%) and he's only 24 years old and bats left handed. I'm not saying he's going to be a MLB all star next year, but he'll likely be a valuable team member soon, despite struggling in his very brief call-up this year (5 for 40 w/ 12ks and no BB).

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

ESJ:

Your stats make a good point, but Watson was only 25 last year and also bats LH.

Posted by: #4 | July 30, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

yeah, i think it's a bit early to condemn bernadina based on his first callup. it was a bit premature, in general, and too short to really come to any conclusions.

i doubt he'll be a star, either. but he could end up as a serviceable OF, even if just a bench guy.

Posted by: 231 | July 30, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

one day bernadina could be willie harris

Posted by: if only | July 30, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I thought Watson was older, and I completely forgot he batted lefty.

BTW his numbers for last year in Columbus;

.313/.347/.386/.733, 51/21 k/bb and 17/25 (68%) on stolen bases.

The .410 vs .347 OBP and .489 vs .386 SLG really jump out...

and just for fun here are Bernadina's number in Columbus (only 15 games, but fun);

.377/.468/.566/1.034

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Quad A -- or -- AAAA

Either way you spell it people, the heartburn is the same.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

One thing this Bernadina/Watson discussion brings to mind is that the Nats really have zero power hitting prospects. Bonafacio and Bernadina have almost identical offensive skill sets. These other guys who are hitting some HRs at Harrsiburg aren't really hitting for any kind of average. It makes you think at the big league level, they won't do much. I'm not giving up on Marrero by any means, but his .250 batting average pre-injury wasn't too encouraging. Columbus has been out-homered this year 112 to 56. Yikes!!! I think they have enough of the punch and judy type guys. They need a couple guys with pop. Adam Dunn anyone? OK maybe not, but a proven HR hitter, not one with potential, would be nice to lock up for about three years.

Posted by: #4 | July 30, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

How about Quad-AAAA?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The real Rosenthal is reporting the Marlins and Red Sox are talking about a deal that would send Manny Ramirez and the $7M he is owed to the Marlins for either Jeremy Hermida or Josh Willingham. As part of the deal, the Marlins would decline Ramirez's 2009 option and Manny would decline the Marlins tender offer meaning, the Sox get rid of the headache of Ramirez and get a more affordable player under team control for longer. Manny gets his freedom from Boston and the chance to go out on the free agent market. The Marlins get Ramirez for the stretch run with the worst case scenario of two draft picks when he signs elsewhere.

How about Kearns + bullpen help?

Posted by: (fake) Ken Rosenthal | July 30, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

What is Willingham or Hermida's contract situation? I see that as a very un-Marlin's move unless it's big money for short years. They're too into homegrown -- baseball's crazy hippies.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

No Power-hitting prospects? What about a bionic Willy Mo Pena?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

(sort of)Off topic, but Buster Olney says the Yankees just got Ivan Rodriguez. Interesting. I guess LoDuca isn't going there?
::sniff, sniff::

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

For real on I-Rod to the Yanks? My Red Sox roommates won't like that one bit, especially if the Sox are dumb (or nuts) enough to dump Manny...

Chico called the no LoDuca to NYY thing early in the week, maybe LoDuca and cash to FLA for a PTBNL?

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

As an original STH, I am appalled at the lack of effort, hustle, and the overall malaise that seems to have settled over this group. I purposely did not say team because they aren't.

I find it downright sad that in our brand new state of the art ballpark, we seem to continually be outnumbered by out of town fans.

Does the FO care? Tough to say but I'll tell you one thing, if for no other reason than GP, someone's head should have been rolled down SoCap by now. Whether it be Bowden, Harris, Acta, someone should be fired for the debacle they've put on display. Injuries happen all over the place to every team. Youth is no excuse either. At some point, you've got to admit a mistake and move on. Let's start with Flop, then Kearns who simply can not hit!

Is it LH's fault? I could care less at this point. Can we lay it all at the feet of JimBo? Or have his hands been tied by the higher ups? Are the Lerners simply trying to squeeze every nickel and dime out of us? Of course, they're business people, not baseball people. At the same time, if they really were simply in it for the $$, they would have signed Bonds just to put butts in seats and generate even more revenue. Fortunately, they haven't gone that route.

Yes, the Frank Robinson situation was a fiasco. Unfortunately, it became simply one of many PR gaffes for this group.

I know, I'm all over the place but I just felt like venting. Anyone care to continue this discussion in person, I'll be in the Stars and Stripes in about an hour. The bar in front of the store.

One last note - going to the games used to bring about great anticipation because we actually believed we had a chance to win. Too often these days, I hope for rain. And this coming off a one run loss to one of the top teams after nearly 3 weeks without baseball.

Bummed in 210
"FRANK 20"

Posted by: FRANK 20 | July 30, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Went last night. If the fly (Harris's?) down the RF line that cleared the wall about 6 feet foul with a runner on had been fair, we'd be talking about Hanrahan's first save.

Did they change the 1/2 St Metro entrance? I think there used to be a couple of express pass gates on the side closest to 1/2 St. I used to line up there and go through quickly. Last night, there were regular ticket gates. I guess that is better for the out of town fans, but I thought the Nats and Metro pushed the Smarttrip passes earlier in the year. You'd think they'd want to encoruage that.

Oh, LDO - nice deal. Los Angeles de Los Angeles de Anaheim are clear favorites now.

Posted by: PTBNL | July 30, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

This Pudge for Farsnworth trade makes no sense to me, there must be another player involved or something. Does Detroit need to save money so bad they'll basically give up 2 draft picks (Pudge is a Class A FA) for Farnsworth?

All you out there who think Bowden is the worst GM...and this after trading for Willis and Cabrera in the off-season too, maybe Bowden can go to Detroit and we can finally promote Rizzo...

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse