GM: We're "concerned" for Dmitri's health

Before we get to today's lineups, I wanted to pass along some news about Dmitri Young. It appears the first baseman, who hasn't played since the all-star break after dealing with complications of diabetes (a high blood-sugar level), hasn't had the hoped-for improvement since returning to DC. When Young was originally placed on the DL, the team had a two-pronged plan for his rehab. First, they wanted him to control his diabetes. Second, they wanted him to fly down to Florida and get into shape at the team's Viera complex.

Well, so far, Dmitri hasn't felt well enough to travel.

Here's what GM Jim Bowden said this morning: "He's not doing very well. We had hoped he could go to Florida to continue the process but his agent, Adam Katz, called and said he was not well enough to travel. Obviously we're concerned and we're going to meet with him tomorrow back in DC. He's still in DC. We're praying for him. We'll do everything we can to get him healthy."

Now, looking toward this afternoon's game...

Washington

Loney - 3
Garciaparra - 6
Blake - 5
Ethier - 9
Kershaw - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  July 27, 2008; 3:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guzman medical update
Next: Same old (with an emphasis on old)

Comments

like i asked before, who's this team's chief physician, dr.vinnie boombatz?

Posted by: natsscribe | July 27, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

DY may be past the point where the Nats have to worry whether he can play baseball and help save his life. Diabetes can lead to stroke, heart disease, kidney failure, and blindness. If DY can't travel, it might mean that his condition is worse than earlier believed.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 27, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Not to sound apathetic, but is he on the verge of death? If so, maybe he should be in the hospital. Not well enough to travel? I've dragged my butt through an airport and onto a plane sick-as-a-dog before....and I'm sure D.Y. isn't fighting for the aisle seat in coach.

Give me a break. I like the guy for what he did last year, but this organization needs to get a spine. Granted, I'm not very educated on diabetes, but still. They showed a lot of grit with Patterson, and if Young is in the shape he is in and is so bad that he can't even get onto a plane then there's no way he'll play professional sports again...time to cut bait.

I never thought I'd say it, but Elijah Dukes might be one of the more dedicated guys on the team...the guy is fighting to get back on the field. D'mitri can't even fight to get on a plane.

Posted by: Corey | July 27, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope DYoung gets it under control. This is obviously serious.

They answered the "Why Debbie Taylor?" question today. She's the wife of a Nationals scout.

On a completely unrelated note - I was wondering Chico what you and the Post would think about promoting an online chat room for us 9000 who watch the games on TV and read the Post's coverage? It'd be kinda cool to "watch" the game with other computer-bound fans realtime...

Posted by: DanD187 | July 27, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The Nats' hitters are treating this rookie lefthander like he's the deity Koufax, rather than Kershaw.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 27, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

And for all you kids watching at home, this is the point where a pro who realized didn't know what he's talking about would stop talking.

And if it turns out Dmitri is, in fact, on the verge of death, how low is this?

And the word you wanted was "unsympathetic," not "apathetic." I'd give you a break on that, but I'm not feeling particularly compassionate, I guess.

****************************
Granted, I'm not very educated on diabetes ...
Posted by: Corey | July 27, 2008 4:22 PM

Posted by: CE | July 27, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

You could use this blog as a game time chat room...it was once common practice on the NJ but has sadly diminished in favor of other forms of expression.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 27, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

LDO, maybe the hi-def TV has drawn off the blog posters??
D'ohhh!

*************

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 27, 2008 5:15 PM

Posted by: Section 3 mc | July 27, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

and LDO, by "you" did you mean Chico, or us?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 27, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

LDO

maybe in this case misery doesn't love company since the games seem all the same now - opposition scores first, nats lose.

Posted by: natsscribe | July 27, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

It appears that NatsNation has forsaken the journal to attend church services where they are offering much-needed prayers for the team.

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I found the team doctor:

Posted by: Bergmann on Man | July 27, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I am 100% sure now that Lenny Harris must go.

I am at least 85% sure that Bowden must go.

I am 90% sure that no more players on the team will go before July 31, because they stink too bad to be traded.

This is as bad as I have ever felt about this team.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | July 27, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

theraph said months ago that even when Dmitri was hitting well, he appeared to be sick. When Debi Taylor interviewed him, there was a new note of anxiety in his voice that I'd never heard before. He has sounded really scared, which would explain the rumors of drinking - an old port in a storm.

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

At least the West Coast losses have been quick, with the team batting an astonishing .122 since they got to San Francisco, and that number has gone doesn't count today's performance.

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Did I hear Carpenter say at the beginning of the game that the Dodgers average 45,000 fans per game? That place is empty!

Posted by: section 222 | July 27, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

The Braves were up 5-0 against the Phillies, and are now down 12-6. I think we have our explanation for the Nats' 28 runs against the Braves - it wasn't the Nats' hitting, it was the Braves' pitching. Got my hopes up only to be crushed.

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Six-word summary....

Nats Hit Road; Road Hits Harder

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 27, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

father flynniegan,

we need some words of encouragement...fast!

Posted by: natsscribe | July 27, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid that this is more than diabetes.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 27, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Dmitri's condition does sound serious. Hope that the docs are able to get the diabetes under control.

I, too, await Father Flynniegan's words of faith and hope. Perhaps some home cooking will help our Nats?

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Words of encouragement: Letee's last post was really funny. Boswell says that even the worst teams will have a 13 or so game win streak. So all of us who have seen every pitch of all 15 shutouts will be rewarded, soon, since we're running out of summer!

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Flynnie (disclaimer: I heard rather than saw most of those pitches).

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

...because I was Charlie and Dave-ing it, not because I was covering my eyes. :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

the official chaplain of NJ.

Posted by: natsscribe | July 27, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

To me the most depressing thing about watching that game was the performance of Clayton Kershaw. He was the 7th overall pick in the June 2006 draft and is 20 years old. He has electric stuff. I'd like to think with all the high draft picks that Nats have had in the last three or four years, they'd have one guy like that. I haven't seen it yet. Sorry to pour salt on the wounds, but I'm feeling quite grumpy after this road trip.

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Certainly a downer of a trip (at least the West Coast portion).

On another note, has anybody seen footage of the HOF inductions? I didn't find anything new on the MLB site a little bit ago.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else sick and tired of the frickin' announcers? Every pitcher doesn't have OUTSTANDING stuff when they play the Nats. Maybe it's because the Nats hitters are too incompetent to hit them.

I can live with a team that doesn't win a whole lot. What gets to me is that this team is totally incompetent when it comes to basics. That is something that gets to me. Milledge's base running gaffe today would have gotten him pulled from a little league game. Instead we get "Well, that was an aggressive mistake, so its OK".

Posted by: FP | July 27, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

This isn't right. Dmitry Young should get in shape and quit being a fatso, and I don't appreciate his wasting the team's money. Especially since I consider a lot of the excuses made regarding his health out there to be tinged with not so subtle racism. I'm totally rooting for that guy. but fatso needs to get down to camp and start working out.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | July 27, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like to think with all the high draft picks that Nats have had in the last three or four years, they'd have one guy like that. I haven't seen it yet."

Does the name Ryan Zimmerman sound familiar?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 27, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Not to gainsay your perfectly sound point, #4, but the Dods took Kershaw 7th, passing by (and the Giants took 10th overll) Tim Lincecum. Wait, that makes me feel even worse...
Worse? You want worse? I got worse: Joba Chamberlin #41 overall.

(The Nats drafted Marrero @ 15, and Willems @ 22.)

**********

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2008 7:03 PM

Posted by: FWIW | July 27, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman doesn't pitch, which was the point, and he is starting to look over-rated, while we're on the subject.

Posted by: CE (for what it's worth) | July 27, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman is the only player we've taken remotly close to kershaw's draft spot and he was in the majors the same year.

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

FP- definitely a key play. If Milledge stays on 2d, he scores on Nieves' double and the game is tied. But then we wouldn't be setting a world record for being on the wrong end of shutouts.

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I don"t think it was really a bad play. He almost beat it, it was a perfect throw, and Nomar almost didn't get back in time. Based on our recent offense, there was no reason to presume that Nieves could get a hit, he hasn't had many lately. And just because he got a hit after the out doesn't mean he would have gotten a hit with a runner in scoring position. A WP would have been just as likely.

If it were Kearns or Zim, people would have thought it was a good idea.

Posted by: natty bo | July 27, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Then Bergmann had the "at bat of his career" according to Vin Scully, and nearly got a single. Scully spoke very highly of "the young man from the Jersey Shore, the former school teacher, Jason Bergmann."

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Diabetes is no joke. One of my best friends didn't wake up one morning because of his diabetes. We all thought he had it under control and now he's gone.

This is one of those times where the Game of Life is bigger than the Game of Baseball. DY needs to take care of himself.

Posted by: Expos Fan | July 27, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Here's my whole problem with the Dimitri situation, team management let him come to spring training overweight and out of shape,Jimbo gave this guy a new contract and granted based on his performance last season he deserved one but certain caveat's should have been tied to the contract for example his weight,his blood/sugar numbers in relation to his diabetes illness. His diet should have been monitored on a daily basis the wrong foods can trigger harmfull and possible life threatning results.Diabetes is running rampant in the US especially in minority communities how team trainers and doctors let Dimitri get to this point is beyond common sense,Dimitri also shares blame in this situation he is not a child he more than anyone else put himself in harm's way but Jimbo and Manny have not managed this dilema well.I hope for all concerned he(Young) gets the medical help he needs.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | July 27, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Spell it with me everyone....Dmitri

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 27, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

One of my buddies w/diabetes did everything right and was dead at 38. It's time to wish Dmitri well, to pray for healing if you pray, and remember the July 4th, 2007 grand slam, the voodoo fingers from 2d, and the gasping clown act after he ran out a triple. Also the big arm around Elijah after the dustup in the dugout with, "He's got nothing to say" to the approaching press. How many celebrities and politicians have needed come to grief for want of such a strong arm! Get well, Dmitri, you've got a post-baseball gig!

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had a recording of Vin Scully's tolling the woes that have befallen the Nats. Luis Ayala, "Lucky to be here after Tommy John surgery, was wounded by a shotgun in Mexico while hunting last winter. One of the pellets lodged against a nerve, causing an inflammation of his throwing arm." And then, before the 9th, the statistical woes, which ended with "the worst record in Major League Baseball for comeback victories. The Nats have a lot standing in the way of a game-winning rally in the 9th."

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Right. Also, Dmitri, stop drinking, or at least be smart enough to not do it publicly, like in the bars of Pentagon Row. Shots are probably not the way to go, either.

Posted by: he's a grown-up | July 27, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

In the face of death, none of us are grown-ups.

Posted by: flynnie | July 27, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Enough of this. Let's start anew.

Posted by: NEW POST | July 27, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Time to root for Dmitri the person, not Dmitri the player.

This is serious and can lead to a great many of things, including slipping into a diabetic coma and dying the way my friend did at the age of 27.

Let's hope Dmitri can work with doctors to get this under control to save his life.

Worry about him as a baseball player later folks.

Posted by: Ryan | July 28, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Time to put Steve in the same boat as the lame talk show host who made the idiotic statements about autistic kids.

Our prayers are with Dimitri and his family.

Posted by: Type II | July 28, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse