"It's a little disrespectful"

Chad Cordero is quite unhappy with what's happened in the last day or two. All along, he knew he was probably going to be non-tendered in December. That decision makes sense, he acknowledged today. But he called the announcement's timing "a little disrespectful" -- especially because it comes just two weeks after his right shoulder surgery.

Here are the key points of what he said in our phone conversation today.

* Before Bowden revealed the team's intentions (during an AM sports talk interview) to non-tender the closer come December, the GM had not spoken about the move to Cordero or his agent, Larry Reynolds. "My dad called me," Cordero said, explaining how he received the news. "He had received a phone call from a friend who heard on the radio. My dad got the call, and then he called me and told me. That's how I found out. Bowden never once made contact with myself or my agent before he announced it on the radio."

* Cordero confirmed that Bowden and Larry Reynolds spoke this morning.

* Cordero said, "I knew this was probably going to happen. For me, that's not the issue. The issue is how it went down. Five months away [from the non-tender deadline], only two weeks after I had surgery, that's what made this upsetting... Right now, I'm just upset at how it's all been handled. We couldn't get a call before, but I understand it's part of baseball. I'm just upset that we weren't informed... It makes me kind of sad in a way. It's a little disrespectful."

* Cordero also pointed out that his recovery from surgery will not be as massive as many think. Though it often does require 12-18 months to recover from labral surgery, Cordero said he'll begin throwing in November. He plans to be fully ready by spring training 2009.

* As for whether this announcement closes the door on Cordero's return to Washington? Tough to say. At one point in our conversation, he said, "Yeah, I would love to come back." But he also said he hadn't thought too much about it yet, that the news has yet to really settle.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 24, 2008; 10:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Milledge back, Estrada gone
Next: Leaving San Francisco

Comments

Bowden couldn't run a hot dog stand. What a loser. Why go public with that now? There is a reason smart GMs don't do that, but it's probably the same reason Bowden did it.

Posted by: Dave 22101 | July 24, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that if anybody in the NL East makes any kind of halfway decent offer to Chad, he'll take it in a heartbeat and look forward to sticking it right back at his old team. Let's just say, if it was me, that's what I'd be thinking.

Posted by: Doctor Joe | July 24, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Cordero's kidding himself about Spring 2009.

Posted by: Suicide Squeeze | July 24, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BofG | July 24, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

very, very classy way of handling this, Jimbo.

we all knew it was coming, and we all know that non-tendering Cordero is the right move.

but even then you manage to fudge it up by grandstanding on the radio about it before you even bother telling him.

You stay classy Jimbo.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 24, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I've been really fighting to stay off the "fire bowden" bandwagon, but earlier today I said that if Bowden spilled the beans on the readio without talking to Cordero or his people first that it would be a firing offense, and I stand by that.

We can all fight till were a bloody mess over good and bad trades and moves by Bowden, but behavior like this is simply unacceptable.

Rizzo for GM, now!

Posted by: estuartj | July 24, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Bowden sucks. Plain and simple.

Posted by: Alberto | July 24, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

You think Bowden is done. You might be right, but I hope they take into account the full ledger, i.e. not just the mistakes but also the successes. Of course you throw out $2.75 million, but a complete evaluation would include all the right moves as well. Going back four years I think you'll find there were quite a few, which means it's not as simple as "2.75 million mistakes." Maybe someone who wants to present a rational, objective picture can do so -- lord knows I don't have the time, and lord knows you haven't, BoG.

"I think Bowden is done. If he was close before this could be it. After having to outright Mackowiak and Estrada, basically admitting $2.75 Million mistakes."

Posted by: BofG | July 24, 2008 10:24 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

...sorry BofG, that response was from me.

Posted by: MountieNatsFan | July 24, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

What a great week to break in a new closer.

-playing against his old team and old friends.
-thrown into closing role after less than a year in the pen
-his best friend on the team is told he will be non tendered and guess who is taking his spot.
-said friend will be at the games.

Posted by: slappy | July 24, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't just vent. Sign the Fire Jim Bowden petition. We have 50 signers so far. If all the people who have vented on this blog about JimBo in the last 48 hours sign, and get 1-2 friends to sign, we'll be over 2-300 in no time.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | July 24, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

JimBow really blew it with the Chief. He should have traded Cordero at the peak of his value and this would be someone else's problem.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 24, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

'Cause it's always better to be ignored en bloc.

Sorry, Bowden was an ass to you, Chief. Use it to leverage yourself a few extra bucks and come back with your cardiac ways. At least when you lost the game it was an exciting loss rather than a predictable one. And, oh, that flat bill!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 24, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

It's really hard to believe even Jimbo could sink so low. Commenters over the past few days on this have been right: he loves to hear himself talk and can't contain his self-indulgence even when it's clearly the wrong thing to do--both with respect to Chad's feelings and the team's best interests. With one stupid, self-centered move, he virtually ensured that Chad will never pitch for the Nats again, no matter how well he recovers from this surgery.

Of course, the chances that Chad would be back were under 50-50 anyway (there's no way he's throwing a baseball by November by the way, mark my words), but still, this was a seriously bush league move. There was simply no reason to make this announcement now, and even less reason to do it publicly without first telling Chad and his agent. Jimbo must go. Enough is enough.

Posted by: Section 222 | July 24, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

50 signers of the fire bowden petition. Fantastic. Thats like one signer for every 146 times the blog has been advertised on the NJ. Keep up the great work! Only another 30,000+/- mentions and the self serving blog will reach its goal!

Note to self: Do not hire SoCH as campaign manager if I run for office.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 24, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I am not part of the Bowden pitchfork brigade, but I must say this was a clueless move. It is almost as if Bowden blurted this out just to show how important/big/active he is.

Cordero is right - it was a little disrespectful.

Posted by: Count Demoney | July 24, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

"wow. look, i like chief. and i think jimbow should have kept his trap shut. but that's just foolish. and i'm sure kasten's minions reading your letter will chuckle when they read it."

Section 231 - Here's your note and I have to respond even though I should ignore you. It's not foolish - the only leverage we have as fans is our money. That's how we communicate our desires to Kasten and his "minions" (nice word choice), not by blog rants. That's why I'm going to be writing Stan a letter tomorrow.

Here's the problem with what Bowden did:

It's classless and mean and it reduces our Nationals from laughingstock, which is bad enough, to incompetent boobs - especially Jim Bowden.

Chad Cordero, more than any other National, made 2005 a special season, he signed autographs every game I attended (15), he pitched till his arm ached, he made June 2005 a great time to be a baseball fan in Washington. He was extraordinary. He closed the final game at RFK, beating the Phillies, who were in a pennant race, he pitched hurt this year, gutting it out when JimBo and his minions should have rested him. He is someone even casual fans know and identify with. He is a class act and gave up lots of his time here and in his home for charitable causes. He is a credit to the organization and well worth the $4.9M - if nothing else than for goodwill, which this team now has none. It's not like the Nats are going to go spend the money on some other solid, professional pitcher. So why not keep Chad in the fold --- or at least soft peddle this and keep it private so he can re-sign with a shred of dignity.

This move makes the Nationals look mean, stupid and foolish all at once. Believe me, the fans will notice -- by not showing up. Chad will notice -- by signing with another team, Free agents will notice -- by not signing with the Nats (as if they would even offer) and, worst of all, Ryan Zimmerman will notice -- by not signing a long term deal and going FA himself.

It's not hard to see why this team is so dismal. It's rotten, if not at the top, than at the GM level.

So, I'll let them know by spending my money elsewhere. When attendance barely breaks 20K -- if that -- next year, you'll know many did the same.

Posted by: steve | July 24, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I am 98% resigned that Jimbo must go. Though I think his performance has been better than some on here, the treatment of Cordero really strikes me as classless and as we say in my neighborhood--bootleg. You don't treat people like that. Period.

Get your resume ready Mike Rizzo.

Posted by: joNAThan | July 24, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry to see Estrada go. He was always good for a laugh or two. I now can no longer ask "Who wears the biggest jersey? Dmitri or Estrada?" That game is absolutely no fun anymore.

Estrada's closing remarks are ominous and should strike fear in the eyes of many. Why? Not because he could return as an opponent for a MLB team (highly unlikely - more likely...Estrada catches up on his daytime soap operas), but because if The Estrada is upset, he may pull his Uncle Eric from the 'Safety Night at the Pfitzner Stadium' promotion, which is a big draw.

Fear the Wrath of The Estrada!

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 24, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps he was sending a subtle message that players have an obligation to be in better shape? If one were to look for a pattern, one might see three ostensibly less than fit professional baseball players from the Nats who find themselves in different circumstances over the past week.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Uhoh

Posted by: Fake Pat Corrales | July 24, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

It could have been a message. Generally, you like to send that message in spring training, not after the all star break.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 24, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll echo the major sentiment. I understand the decision to non-tender Chad. It's the right move to make. The question is why make the announcement today? I haven't heard or read one explanation that makes sense to me. My attitude is a simple one. Wait unti December when you have to make a decision, talk to Chad and his agent between now and then, and finally either agree to a incentive based contract or wave goodbye. In December a non-tender would have been minor news, in July it shines an unwelcome spotlight on the team and GM. Unforgivable, in my opinion.

Posted by: grf15 | July 24, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

The aura about this whole organization is simply terrible. TV ratings are abysmal, the perception of the Lerners (by and large) is poor, the new stadium is decidedly average, the team that plays there is awful, and its general manager can't get out of his own way to keep from making more waves. It's stunning.

This hole they are digging is getting deeper by the day, and it's gonna take more than a Plan to get out of it. We desperately need some positive energy.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | July 24, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Bowden continues to tarnish the image of this franchise. The Nats are considered inept and a third rate organization. The Codero move only serves to cement this view. This guy is nothing more than an overindulgent, self-centered loser. As long as as he is part of the organization this team will continue to spiral downward. The organization is in the worse shape of its 39 year history.

The treatment of Codero will have a negative impact on the team in the future. You watch.

Posted by: mjames | July 24, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

The issue is not whether non-tendering Chad for the 2009 season is the appropriate thing to do. It is how the decision was made public.

For Chad to learn of this from his father, who learned of this from a friend who heard on the announcement on the radio -- Bowden didn't just throw Chad under this bus, he backed it up and parallel parked on top of him. It's inexcusable, and I hope it is the last move Bowden makes in his capacity as general manager for the Washington Nationals.

Posted by: 422 | July 24, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

So you are surprised this is how Bodes treats his players. I thought you were warned when you were knowledgeable fans three years ago when you were posting all those old Cincy stories about Bodes. The GM of last resort for any player to play for.

Posted by: Cincy fan | July 24, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm still not on the "Jimbo must go" bandwagon. For every Estrada there's a Willie Harris, he's made some snazzy trades and the farm system is better than most people on this blog seem to understand. But I'm now on the "Jimbo will be gone before next season" bandwagon. This is sloppy and inexcusable. and if Kasten, et al, were looking for a last straw, this should take care of it.

Posted by: Eyewitness | July 24, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Chico talks about a lost gem in Friday's Post (Redding's stellar outing), seems that the Nats FO just keeps 'losing' gems left and right: Frank Robinson (who remembers how well that was handled), and now Chad Cordero? Sheesh!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WN | July 24, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

So are you guys saying that the problem isn't the non-tendering, it's the way it was announced by Bowden?

My god.

Posted by: new reader | July 25, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

There's a pretty strong consensus that non-tendering Chad is an obvious move to make, but that Jimbo totally botched it by inexcusably announcing the decision in the media before telling Chad and his agent. Perhaps there's an explanation for this behavior. Will a professional journalist with access to Jimbo, or to Kasten, ask the question?

Posted by: Section 222 | July 25, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Not offering Cordero arbitration is a no brainer (double negative?). The arbitration deadline is December 1st. Cordero may be throwing by then, but that seems unrealistic. I'm not positive of the rules, but I think the least amount of salary he could make through arbitration is 80% of this years salary ($6.2 mil). There is absolutely no reason to offer arbitration (and $4.96 mil minimum) to a guy who may not pitch in 2009. Similarly, there is absolutely no reason this should even be a story right now.

I have a feeling Cashman's cell # may be programmed into the phone of Lerner & Kasten by now.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 25, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Pick your reason:
4 catchers
Hanging Cordero out to dry
No first baseman
Not enough for Rauch
Too much for Guzzy
FBI investigation
10m for fat Dmitri
On pace for 100 losses

You may not agree with all or even most. You only have to agree with enough to think...

It's time to sign the petition:

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | July 24, 2008 8:07 PM

Yes, of course that's it. Jump on a bandwagon, beat a war drum. Rant and rave but don't look at these points individually.

4 Catchers: A lot of people on this blog thought Flores should spend 08 in the minors and that we should have two veteran catchers for this season for fill ins. Who predicted that both veteran catchers would have injuries after signing and that Flores and Nieves would be so good this year? Raise your hand if you predicted this. BTW we now have three catchers and I am sure that Lo Duca is being shopped around so that he may be gone in 10 days.

Hanging Cordero out to dry: Non tendering Cordero was the right move, the timing of the announcement of it was bad. Cordero will be well compensated counting the money he made this year and a settlement that he will get next year. By these standards I would like to be "hung out to dry" to those dollar amounts.

No first baseman: Go ahead SOCH, tell me you predicted that Boone, Johnson and Young would all be on the DL at the same time. If you did then you are real good at foretelling the future. But perhaps we should have been carrying four first basemen on the roster.

Not enough for Rauch: How do you know what other GMs were offering? Has any GM said that he would have traded a named player of caliber that the Nats wanted for Rauch? When the Nats were finally offered a player that they desired then the value of Rauch is determined. In the absence of a comparable offer from another GM then it is a matter of hearsay and speculation on your part.

Too much for Guzzy: I did not see another free agent ss on the list that was superior to Guzzy for less money for two years. Did you?

FBI investigation: I believe that Bowden was the first to answer questions. There will be many others questioned. Does being questioned constitute guilt? Are all who are questioned guilty? You are certainly implying so by including this on your list.

10 million for Dimitri: When this contract was offered he was batting near .320 and leading the team in average. He had dramatically turned around his life and career and was an inspiration for many. He was a very positive influence in the clubhouse. Who knew that he would become diabetic? Was Dimitri aware at the time and did not share that information? Based on the Dimitri of 2007 the offer of 5 million a year for two years this seemed an appropriate reward for his turn around.

On pace for 100 losses: Are all the injuries that have happened to this team this season Bowden's fault? Only a team loaded 3 levels deep can go through this season and not have it be disasterous. The Nats have not had the time to stock themselves through 5 years of drafting and scouting so they are going to be thin after the starters.

This team may be at the lowest point that it will be in a decade to follow. We have good starting pitchers and players like Dukes, Milledge, Zimmerman and Flores who have been brought in by Bowden that are young and will improve. This team will be better in 2009 than it is now and it will be better in 2010 than it will be in 2009. I will wager on a bet on that statement.

...and one other thing, I will never sign your stupid little petition.

Posted by: dale | July 25, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

SoCH....looks like you'll need 30,001 +/- mentions to reach your goal since I don't think Dale is going to be signing your petition.

Maybe you could bring in Jerry Lewis and turn your goal of 300 signees into a marathon. I'm sure the French would at least support you. They love them some Lewis.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 25, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Class. Tact. Empathy.

I for one hope Jim Bowden reads his contract has not been renewed in the newspaper. He's earned it.

Non-tendering Chief makes sense. Grandstanding for the press is disrespectful.

I want the Nationals to be a team people want to play for but Bowden's grandstanding runs counter to that objective.

Posted by: f bowden | July 25, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, would like a few paper copies of this much-discussed petition.

I am out of toilet paper.

Posted by: SOCH hater | July 25, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I wouldnt want to use hard copies of the petition...I imagine they hold little substance.

Where's good ole dk when you need him? At least he occasionally varies his posts. And trying to decode his ramblings is always fun.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 25, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

This is absolutely something that Chico should ask Bowden: why announce this now?
I'm sure he'll get some bs answer, but it would be nice if someone with access could question Jimbo on his reasoning for this highly questionable decision.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | July 25, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

As a fan with no financial interest in the Nats at all and a smidge too much web-surfing time on my hands, I rather enjoy the dramatic subplots furnished by Jim Bowden. He certainly provides more conversational fodder than, say, a GM or coach who's mastered the art of saying absolutely nothing with bland, generic, tactful language.

Posted by: 1 of 9,000 | July 25, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree with all the concerns about Bowden noted above, to which I would add:

1) His credibility with other teams has been badly eroded, which limits his ability to strike deals.

2) He seems not to have adequately integrated the lessons of sabremetrics into his decisions. He's attracted to players that look good and are fast or strong, even if their key statistics (esp. OBP) are mediocre. E-Bon is just the latest example. Baseball is a game more of skill than athleticism.

3) He seems to hold grudges or give up on players for no apparent reason. Church is the most obvious example. Schroder may be the most current.

4) He devalues character. I'm not going to argue that better character necessarily makes better baseball teams. But it makes baseball teams more worthy of support.

Posted by: Red Porch | July 25, 2008 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Don't post anymore-just read. However, I had to compliment you, dale, on your excellent post.

Posted by: Jeeves | July 25, 2008 5:49 AM | Report abuse

This organization is barely recognizable from the one just a year ago.

This utter lack of class in dealing with Cordero, one of our original hopeful drafts, plus the investigation, plus the losing, plus Dmitri's mysterious problems and odd references to the lack of fun or cohesion in the clubhouse, all of it, leaves me with a nasty knot in my stomach.

The shiny new baseball team, shiny new owners, shiny new everything that offered so much hope of really doing things the right way has completed its 180 for me. It's become so ugly and so unlikeable so soon.

It makes me so sad.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 25, 2008 6:51 AM | Report abuse

There is nothing mysterious about Dmitri Young's problems, he has diabetes, which makes it hard for him to keep weight off, which causes all iind of other issue.

As for the clubhouse, remember when Frank cut off the players music? This hasn't been a happy team since July of '05. Why? Because they keep losing, if they start winning it will be another 180 degree turn.

Posted by: estuartj | July 25, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

"Bowden didn't just throw Chad under this bus, he backed it up and parallel parked on top of him."

Brilliant. I laughed out loud.

I'm *totally* stealing that.

[NOTE: not sarcasm]

Posted by: Not Really a Beat Writer | July 25, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

The team continues to pay Chad $6.2 M this year. Chad had had his heart broken once before when his best friend Tex Majewski was traded. He showed a little less of the exuberance that won our hearts in 2005. Now it is broken once again. That's hard to watch in the one player who gave us so much pleasure and an astonishing chance at the playoffs. But the most prized quality in a g.m. is honesty. Even when he was on the DL, Chad wanted to travel and stay with his teammates. It meant everything to him. He was going to be REALLY MAD whenever he got the news, and it's better he got it now than at Christmas. He can make financial decisions accordingly. He can make constructive use of his rage to work hard through a difficult rehabilitation and come back to surprise the world. Everyone of us, every single one, is rooting for him, and those of us who pray are praying that he comes back to be the next Mo Rivera. If there's some way the team can keep him on the payroll while he rehabs with a lot of incentives if he can pitch again, the front office would win our hearts. If anyone can pull off something that creative, it's Jim Bowden.

Posted by: father flynniegan | July 25, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

As usual, I don't get the furor. Let me outline the arguments:

1. The GM is making a sound baseball decision that any sound GM would, even though it involves conflict with one of his favorite players that he himself drafted and talks about as a success and a model for the future all the friggin time, so much so that it's widely believed he asked WAY too much for him because of his overestimation.

2. He broke the news in a doofus way, like a kid that can't keep a secret.

Therefore, he should be fired.

Not because of his skill or lack of skill as a general manager, note, because he has a big mouth. I just don't get that. That sounds like you call him into the office and chew him out, make it a little uncomfortable for him to sit down, so that he remembers that next time he's about to open his mouth.

If he were a dog (and many think he is) rub his nose in it. You wouldn't take him out back and shoot him, since what he's doing is fundamentally smart baseball.

And where is this desire for candid talk you all have been griping for? You finally get it, the GM is fed up and is "sending messages" like you all have been whining for and now all of a sudden you want to go back to the "coddling" approach? A few weeks ago we took a poll and everyone was sure Chad was going to be gone anyway.

Seems like people just want to be mad.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 25, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm with those who think that this was handled with a total lack of class and humanity on Jimbo's part.

I also keep thinking of the signing anecdote in Svrluga's National Pastime, where the Expos reps sat around the Corderos' kitchen table with Chad and his parents - and no agent. An excerpt:

The Expos' offer was for a bonus of $1.35 and an assurance that Chad would be invited to spring training with the major league club the following year. Edward Cordero looked at his son.
"Chad, what do you think?"
"Dad," Chad said, "that's more money than I ever thought I was going to get." He looked at Siegle. "Where do I sign?"
Siegle showed him the line.
"It was," Siegle said, "one of the most electrifying experiences for me to hear a young kid say that. I knew we had something."
Cordero scribbled his name. He was a professional ballplayer. He was an Expo. "If nothing else," Sigle said, "we had a quality human being here."

(p.s. Hey, NatsNut, good to see you!)

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 25, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Also, it's not "a little disrespectful," Chad, it's a lot disrespectful, and it's okay to say that.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 25, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I tend to try to stay positive about things but this year has been particularly trying -- I hope the clubhouse has a revolving door - does anyone know how many players have come and gone on a daily basis? Lots of instability. Problems with DC and the FBI- news about tv ratings ( and please try to remember that this is only our second season of even having tv coverage, the first year we only had occasional coverage on my20) even a new beat writer! Hoping that these things are growing pains and realizing that a lot of these things were NOT ANYONE"S FAULT( especially the apocalyptic injuries).It would be great if we could spend the rest of the year getting the rest of the shake-ups out of the way so that we could get an idea of what next year might look like. There is still plenty of dead wood that needs to be dealt with...

Posted by: masnstinks | July 25, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Sect. 506 ( if that was actually you), I believe that Minaya, not Bowden, was GM when Chad was signed.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 25, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I know Dmitri simply has diabetes. The mystery, to me, is why he's had so much trouble with it recently.

Finding the right insulin dosage doesn't take over a year. There's something else going on. Others have hinted at it too.

He had a renewed energy last year after hitting rock bottom and spending time with the eager, enthusiastic minor leaguers in ST. Where'd that renewed energy and commitment go?

Posted by: NatsNut | July 25, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

i don't think this cordero situation is a big deal. it happens all the time in all sports. in this town we should be used to people sticking their foot in their mouths. it could have been handled better but we have bigger problems.

if bowden stays or goes i'll be happy with whoever is the gm. you don't get that job by being an idiot. you certainly don't get it twice by being useless.

i'll never sign a petition to fire anyone. i want a good team, you want a role in politics. please separate the two.

Posted by: longterm | July 25, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm not going to sign the petition (because I think it silly and self-aggrandizing), but I will no longer harbor any reservations about firing Bowden.

Chief deserved better. JimBo lied (or at least misled) Chico yesterday when he said he had already talked with Jerry Reynolds. In my mind, this begs questions about his integrity in the FBI probe as well.

Furthermore, Estrada's comments are unsettling. He is someone who has been around the big leagues for awhile - he has seen standards of professional conduct and doesn't have a reputation for being a clubhouse troublemaker. I'm pretty sure that he knew what he was saying. And it sends a strong message to the Sabbathia's and Sheet's of the league about playing in Washington.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 25, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

hi 1a, and everyone. I'm still 7,000 miles away but can't stay away from ya'll. ;) Back next week.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 25, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see him pull this on Elijah Dukes.

Posted by: Just sayin | July 25, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Lowcountry, Estrada certainly does have a reputation for being a clubhouse troublemaker or cancer. They couldn't wait to get him out of Milwaukee for one. The guy was bad news from day 1.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | July 25, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

D'accord, mon ami.

C'est plus qu'un crime, c'est une faute.

******************
I'm sure the French would at least support you.
Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 25, 2008 12:25 AM

Posted by: Tallyrand | July 25, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

This has been the most depressing, embarrassing season in the history of Washington baseball. And we have the Lerners and Mr. Bowden to thank for it.

But what's most depressing is that next year will likely be worse if Mr. Bowden is still the GM.

Is there anything we fans can do -- besides just not going to the games anymore?

Posted by: ohplease | July 25, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

When dog bites man, that's not news.
When man screws the pooch, that's Bowden.

Posted by: section 3, my couch | July 25, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

ohplease, letters to the FO, perhaps? (I'll let SoCH handle promotion of the other alternative, to which I've not yet succumbed ;-)).

(and safe travels, NatsNut)

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 25, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

You're new around these parts, ain't ya?

******************

Posted by: ohplease | July 25, 2008 8:42 AM

Posted by: Ohplease, indeed | July 25, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Typical Bowden, classless, clueless. Another nail in the coffin. Can you say "Ciao, Senior Jeembo?"

Posted by: 425 | July 25, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

CiL, I'm unaware of Estrada's problems in Milwaukee. I was familiar with his time in Atlanta. But I gladly recant. Did he say that he would look forward to playing the Brewers when he left?

In any event, it doesn't change my thinking on Bowden at this point. I've been patient. But my thinking is that there are more people in baseball qualified to be a GM than there are GM positions. Bowden has been successful but he certainly isn't a hall of famer. I'm pretty sure that we can find someone else to do the job. (506BM, for instance!)

I can root for a team that loses 100 games a year. I can even cheer for a perrenial losing team (heck, I grew up rooting for the Senators and have been a Gamecock fan for more than twenty years). But I have a hard time supporting an organization that is characterized by brashness, arrogance, and carelessness. If this season is about identifying core personal to go forward with - I now believe that the GM position is up for legitimate discussion.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 25, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Dale, great post.

Chad should thicken up his skin a little bit. This wasn't a surprise to anyone. I don't see why Bowden has to handle every player with kid gloves.

Posted by: G-town | July 25, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Lowcountry I'm no fan of Bowden's either. He never should have brought in a punk like Estrada to begin with. But embittering Johnny Estrada is not one of the many strikes against JimBo, because he was simply a bad guy to begin with.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | July 25, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I think Chad deserved a little better than finding out through the media, no doubt.

Jimbo made a mistake in tact here so, Flame away but, this is not something you fire him over. However, Kasten and the Lerner's should have a sit down with him about this.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | July 25, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Dale: wonderful post. One minor factual correction: the team actually knew about Dmitri's diabetes before this season - he discovered it before the 2007 season, but had managed to control it to some extent last year, including the first half of the season where he became an All-Star and created the foundation for his Comeback Player of the Year candidacy.

Apparently, that ability to control the diabetes didn't continue over the past offseason and continues to plague him today. That being said, your point remains valid about Dmitri's extension. Even if he doesn't play for us again (and I think he will), the decision was certainly justifiable at the time. Obviously, that justifiability failed to satisfy some.

Posted by: faNATic | July 25, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

i agree that this team needs to toughen up. these fringe players sense of entitlement is a joke. drop the kid gloves.

bowden was not being disrespectful. he spoke out of turn, not surprising with 24 hour news cycle.

i'll cut some slack for cordero but estrada was the biggest waste of time i can remember. he made a cool million, he should just thank us and leave. "i just want to go home...i have a lot in the tank". what a loser.

Posted by: longterm | July 25, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I've generally been mildly OK with Bowden up until now, but firing the Chief on the radio is bad for two reasons.

1) It's wrong on the merits. You just don't do that to people, whether they're ballplayers or ushers.

2) It's dumb. In the era of free agency, players sometimes make decisions based on how they perceive they have been/would be treated by that organization or in that city and not just the bottom line (e.g., Guzman taking a two-year deal). Think this encourages someone to sign with the Nats during the off-season?

The way to handle it would have been to wait until the end of the season & offer a contract with a low base and enough incentives for Cordero to get closer pay if he meets them, plus a club option for the following year. Bet he would have taken it. Incentives can be a face-saving way out of contract negotiations even if no one really expects to meet them. If he can't pitch, it's chump change in the bigger scope of things & if he can, its a good deal. In any case, everyone keeps their dignity whether or not he takes it.

Posted by: 307/418 | July 25, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Times like these, I turn to Springsteen:

"Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Got his car door flung open he's standin' out on highway 31
Like if he stood there long enough that dog'd get up and run
Struck me kinda funny seem kinda funny sir to me
Still at the end of every hard day people find some reason to believe "

Dog = '08 Nats.

Thanks Tim Redding for providing a reason to believe yesterday.

Posted by: PTBNL | July 25, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

You can trash Bowden all you want that's fine but please don't defend that loser cordero.

Posted by: DJ 26 | July 25, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

No GM lasts forever. They're all replaced at some point, even the really, really good ones. Bowden is not a really, really good GM and he's not a class act. This is not any new information.

What is Bowden good at? Wheeling and dealing to make something from nothing. What do we need at the major league level? Wheeling and dealing to make something from nothing. I would be surprised if he is still the GM when the Nats' major league business model changes. A lot of people want that to be right now, but a lot of people want a lot of things to happen right now, that doesn't mean they're going to or they should.

1a, you're right on about Minaya drafting Chad, good memory. Bowden has been higher on Chad than any player except Zimmerman and in my morning sluggishness I got confused about years.

Finally, to NatsNut: keep the faith, the Nats will come back. Every team has its ups and downs. 2005 was glorious enough to overshadow all the many, many rotten things going on (who remembers the furor at no TV coverage now, or the manager publicly trashing his players from 2006?). Right now there's nothing good to overshadow all the bad, but we know that that will change.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 25, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

An important consideration when we're talking about bringing Sabathia here:

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 25, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

506, CC must be a veggie dog if Prince wants to eat him.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | July 25, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I also liked the one about the appealed strike call and the touting of the Mariners of being 8 games over .300 (though it could just as easily have been our team that they chose for that one).

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 25, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I think the Nats stupidly assumed that Dmitri -- an alcoholic -- would stop drinking. They should have learned their lesson with Mitchell Page.

Posted by: listen | July 25, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

au contraire, 506. Redding pitched another gem yesterday. A tragic one, to be sure - but one that provides hope for the weary.
____________________________

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 25, 2008 9:29 AM

Posted by: lowcountry | July 25, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I just can't stop laughing at that picture.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 25, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Great reference PTBNL.

Jim Bowden's record judged solely on the basis of the baseball moves he makes is decent. The Plan has dictated that in the last couple of years he needed to scour the scrap heap of MLB to find some serviceable big leaguers to tide over this franchise until their drafted prospects reach the majors. When you are dealt that hand it's inevitable that some of the guys you bring in are going to be jerks and underachievers. His record is probably better than 50-50 with that type of player, and that's pretty good.

Having said that, a winning organization in any business has people in leadership who represent it in a way a professional way. Jimbo's maturity level has always struck me, albeit from afar, as somewhat low. All the stories about how he runs his mouth inappropriately and conducts his personal life lend credence to this impression. The last straw for me though was when I attended a Nats game in Phoenix and arrived in time to watch the Nats take batting practice. Leaning on the cage was Jimbo, dressed in raggedy jeans hanging half way down his posterior, an untucked t-shirt, and flip-flops. He looked like a frat boy on spring break. I thought to myself, "This is the guy who represents the team I root for?" Yikes!!! While I know that fans sometimes get frustrated with GMs who simply spout no-news bromides during interviews, at least in those cases, they are generally trying to act in an adult way to protect the people working for them. Jimbo has done damage here with the Chad situation, not just with the Chief, but with all the other players in baseball. Immaturity begets immaturity. It makes me wonder how much discipline Dmitri or any other National is going to have when their boss has none.

Posted by: #4 | July 25, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

It *is* a funny pic. This piece, which I just stumbled on in the archives, is pretty funny, too, IMO.

May 17, 2007
Mothers Lose 10th Annual MLB Mother's Day Game 24-2

COOPERSTOWN--Mothers of current major-leaguers lost their 10th consecutive Mother's Day game by a score of 24-2 Sunday, the most resounding win by MLB players in the yearly matchup since 1999. "My mom and I haven't gotten together in a quite while, so it was so nice to see her, especially when I blew a 95 mph fastball past her to win the game," Josh Beckett said following the game, in which he recorded 13 strikeouts and one walk. "We always go easy on them, but when A-Rod's mom was showboating after she hit a double in the sixth, I had to plunk her the next time she got up. Just a part of the game." Though the mothers' team put up subpar numbers, Mrs. Weaver's solid seven-inning pitching performance caught the attention of Mariners' GM Bill Bavasi, who is reportedly considering her as a possible replacement for struggling starter Jeff Weaver.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 25, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I think there's more of a consensus on this issue than on just about anything I've seen discussed here. Not unanimity, but general sense of being appalled at Bowden's not having spoken to Chad first(and later in the year) before talking to the media. And as several folks have said, it isn't just a matter of disrespect to a more-than-decent guy who has done a great deal for the team; it's also a matter of how other players and potential members of the team might expect to be treated. If Bowden isn't fired for this, I hope there's an incentive clause in *his* contract under which he cd be docked bigtime for lowclass behavior detrimental to the team. I hope Kasten or Mark Lerner will at least make a public statement that this should have been handled differently.

Posted by: Section 109 | July 25, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I've been on the get rid of Jimbo bandwagon for over two years he hasn't got a clue and after he and Stan the Plan stabbed Frank Robinson in the back I knew he and his buddy were both clueless. If the Lerners want to retain a solid fan base than they had better make plans to get the three stooges (Manny,Jimbo, and Stan) OUTTA HERE AND I MEAN OCT. FIRST don't fiddle f@#k around just do it and oh yeah the coaching staff too. Where do I sign the petition.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | July 25, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

While we all know baseball is a business, but there are right and wrong ways to do things. Bowden's bush league antics are going to make free agents, especially top tier ones, think twice about coming to the Nats. Yes, money talks, but if you are a quality free agent at this point why in your right mind would you choose to play for this franchise in chaos?

Posted by: Sec 214 | July 25, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I have neither been for or against Bowden. However, in light of what's transpired over the past couple of days, I feel that he will be let go once the season is over.

I don't care that they've decided not to tender a contract to Chad. I don't care that they decided this in July. I *DO* care that he announced this decision over the public airwaves *BEFORE* contacting Chad or his agent. In a previous post from Chico:

"Bowden said this morning, "We have told his agent, Larry Reynolds, that we are not going to do that, based on the surgery he had. His agent acknowledged that no team in baseball would do that. He certainly understands. We explained to Larry Reynolds very clearly that we have interest in keeping Chad here at a very low base salary with incentives to protect us from his shoulder. But certainly we want him here. So that's what's taken place. That's our position. I've been very clear about that."

Bowden is flat out *LYING*! He says he contacted the agent, Chad and his agent say they were not contacted by JimBo. If nothing else, this major lack of judgment by JimBo tells the rest of the MLB players that he has no clue how to handle his players, so why should they play in DC?

Again, I don't think he'll be fired before the season ends.

Let's start the countdown to the day DC is rid of JimBo:
September 29, 2008
66 Days Left!!

Posted by: e | July 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

wait a second. agents don't lie? come on now.

besides, it's negotiating, not lying. cordero is not that good anyway. we need bats.

Posted by: longterm | July 25, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I don't care if this was about Chad, or Estrada or Zimmerman. You do not discuss these things over the airwaves! That was just poor management by JimBo ...

Posted by: e | July 25, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, really? No one can think of any other examples of players finding out news from the media instead of from the man himself? Again, with the exceptionalism of our team. It's tacky, but not uniquely so. We really want to believe we're special, one way or another, but the truth is worse. We're just normally bad.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

as i said earlier, it could have been handled better, he spoke out of turn. okay, now what. fire him? you hold yourself to those standards?

Posted by: longterm | July 25, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: longterm | July 25, 2008 10:38 AM

No, but patterns, my friend, patterns.

Posted by: #4 | July 25, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Section 506, perhaps you are right, the Nats aren't special, they are just normal. But the thing is, "The Plan" has always been premised on the idea that the Nats organization *would be* special, and better than other organizations. Otherwise, "The Plan" is just a wish that the Nats get luckier than other teams--because every other team is trying to do what the Nats are, and with a head start to boot since the Nats had to start from ground zero.

Even if these guys running the Nats are average, that's a strike against them, because they need to be a whole lot better than average to turn the Nats into a world-class organization. And isn't that what the Lerners said they aspire to? Isn't that what we should want for our team?

Posted by: Lerners ARE | July 25, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

i guess i just have no idea who would be any better at implementing this slow unfolding debacle that we have such high hopes for.

as of now i'd say if not cashman then we stick with bowden.

i'm still more interested in signing these top picks. most of the rest seem to be, just not the top 5. wrap it up please. i'd prefer to talk about player performance.

Posted by: longterm | July 25, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks that personality doesn't play a part in the business side of baseball is not paying attention. And let's face it, our GM is an ass who people don't like to deal with. Most *of us* don't like him, and we barely ever hear from him. How do you all think other GMs like having to deal with him? (SoCH will remind us that at least Kevin Towers has stated he refuses to do so.). People want to do business with people they like, players who have a choice want to play for people they like. This is just human nature, whether logical or not. Why should we want a jerk for a GM? It's not as if he is so great in other respects that there's a case for ignoring his awful personality.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | July 25, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cincy mole | July 25, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Of course it's what you should want for the team. But I'm not sure it's realistic to expect. I mean, it's called "average" for a reason.

We're delving into cynical realms that I usually don't plum in posts, because, frankly, cynicism is flooding the market. It takes so little courage or mental ability to sit back and claim you're just calling it like you see it and everyone's an idiot, but you. So when I deal with something inconsequential, like sports, I really make an effort to take a risk and look for the positive, because, well, why not?

My love for the Nats is a long-term relationship, and over that long-term, they're going to be mediocre. Sometimes great, sometimes bad. Good GMs, bad GMS. For the rest of my life there will be cycles of winning and cycles of losing. They're always going to be planning to win and, let's be honest, most of the time they will fail at that. Most teams do. Only one out of 30 wins the world series every year. And nothing accounts for the 2007 Colorado Rockies. But, I'm in for that suffering.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm not on the fire Jimbo bandwagon; neither am I a strong supporter. I think he's made some good choices and some bad ones and I don't really know how some of his moves will eventually pan out. I didn't comment yesterday pending clairification of whether or not Chad or his agent knew in advance. Seems pretty clear now that neither did.

I have over 100 people working for me, and I have never, nor would it ever occur to me to, essentially fire one of them, even the very least among them, without the simple courtesy of letting them know before announcing it to the world. A phone call from someone within the Nats organization would not have been too much to ask. That, folks, is just basic decency. That doesn't mean Jimbo should be fired himself, but it is a totally rude and bush way to behave.

I have a Chief Bobblehead on my office bookshelf to remind me of all those wonderful Cardiac Cordero moments and I would have expected him (or the batboy, for that matter) to be treated better than this. Non-tender, yes and I won't even quibble with the timing of the decision. But show some professionalism, please. Having behaved stupidly, Jimbo should at least personally contact the Chief, own up to the dumb deed and say 'I'm sory'. Its the right thing to do.

On the Demitri front, diabetes is strongly present in my family and claimed the lives of both my Mother and Grandmother years before their times. I've watched people struggle with this nasty illness, and it isn't easy. One of the reasons diabetics all have to take blood sugar regularly is that the meds are unpredictable in how they interact with lots of different factors (diet, weight, exercise, heat etc) and sometimes just stop working effectively for reasons that are hard to detect. Demitri will struggle with this the rest of his life; we shouldn't judge but should rather wish him well in his fight. DaMeat gave us some great memories, didn't he? Here's hoping he gets a handle on this thing and gives us a few more.

Posted by: NatsFly | July 25, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey, what's next for the players' and fans' morale? I think this statement about Chad sums up the whole front office - they have no loyalty or concern for any of us. Look what they did to Frank Robinson, look how they put the whole franchise on a 23 year old and won't sign him to a long-term deal, look how we are paying major, major league prices at the stadium for a AAA team. Cheap, cheap and cheaper that's what we have and I don't think it's going to change. Disgusting!

Posted by: cadeck | July 25, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I cant believe that some of you guys are still hung up on Frank Robinson. He was crusty and difficult as a player and not a very good manager. Seriously, not a good manager. Never won a division title. Never.

Posted by: Milt Pappas | July 25, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

OK Section 506, then let's stop pretending that "The Plan" is something more than a crapshoot and cover for the Lerners to be cheap until some mystical (mythical?) future time.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | July 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

New post...

Posted by: I'm up | July 25, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I am guessing that this comment may be a re-hashing of all the other comments made here, but I need to write it down:

Short term: Bowden looks like a classless ass and makes management in general look like the Keystone Cops;

Longer term: Free agents (if ownership is willing to spend the money) will think twice about signing here and then having to worry about being thrown under the bus.

Longer long term: Zimmerman sees the crappy way ownership treats the players and leaves the first chance he gets (his free agent year).

Only solution: Fire Bowden now. Do not wait for the end of the season. Kick him to the curb ASAP

Posted by: TimDz | July 25, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"Jim Bowden is such a jerk that his oldest son--now being raised by JimBo's former boss/Reds owner--won't even talk to his dad."

The kid's a teenager, right? 99.9% of teenagers would like to not ever talk with their fathers if they could get away with it. It's just that Bowden's son has it easier by virtue of not actually living with his father. Point being, just because your teenage son won't talk to you doesn't make you a jerk.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 25, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

To Milt Pappas: Frank was not crusty just demanding as a manager, and he should be the avg. salary in the majors is two million dollars today's players are pampered and good many are fundamentally unsound the average major league pitcher can't or won't complete a nine inning game.Frank never had the roster to win a division,Joe Torre never won either until he went to the Yankees so don't go there. Frank had a ragtag bunch(05 Nats)in first place after the all star break until he couldn't get personel help to bolster his roster.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | July 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Hey Milt - i'm hung up on Frank Robinson, just the way he was treated by the FO - the Lerners took ownership and no one ever talked to him until September....just saying seem to be a pattern w/ the FO on communication. Soriano & his agent said the same thing - no one ever talked to them.

Posted by: cadeck | July 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I still find it naive for SoCH or anyone else to believe that Jim Bowden does things like this without the approval of the Lerners and Kasten. My guess is that they wanted to get rid of the Chief to save more money off the payroll, and decided making him mad by announcing a non-tender in the media at an inappropriate time was the perfect way to shed some more salary off that already miniscule payroll.

Posted by: Ray | July 25, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

cadeck has it right, it's not who is being mistreated, it's the way the FO is/and has been handling the situations. It's a really disturbing pattern.

Posted by: WN | July 25, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Chad Cordero = Class

Posted by: Tom | July 25, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Did Cordero ever bother to tell Bowden about all the times he went to McDonalds? Cordero is eating himself out of baseball.

Posted by: Frank | July 25, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Bowden has apologized to Cordero:

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Having been a Chad Cordero fan since the 2005 season; having been a Nats fan since the 2005 season...this year is so disappointing, for so many reasons. Ownership treats both players AND fans with such disrespect. Why should I renew my full season tickets next year -- having been a full season ticket holder since the inaugural season -- when this ownership discards players who bring in fans, when they offer a small handful of comp tickets to those awfully expensive behind-home-plate seats to military personnel...what about Little League teams, season ticket holders, fans really dressed up in Nats gear...If I can think of such ideas in just a few seconds, why can't the Nationals marketing team? And what kind of ownership does nothing about these empty seats? Guess the Lerners think that is smart. Another gripe: We baseball fans also like fan-friendly players, despite the awful layout of this new stadium .... there's not much to miss about RFK, but one of the joys of coming early to a game at RFK was to hang out near the dugout, chat with players, and get an autograph or two....try doing that at the new stadium. The Sunday autograph sessions are a very poor substitute. Unfortunately, there is way too much to complain about, but the fault lies with this ownership. The only ace in the non-player group is Manny Acta....and given the recent moves of this management team, I wonder when he will be let go. Manny, YOU are a class act....but it must be quite frustrating to have the carpet pulled out from under you by Bowden, the Lerners and the rest of the ownership group.

Posted by: NatsFan312 | July 26, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

In reference to my comment above: Please note that I was not criticizing the fact that military personnel have been given comp tickets to Nats games...the emphasis in that sentence should have the SMALL number of comp tickets given (heard on the radio that it was less than 10 per game). There are so many empty seats in those home plate sections, the number of comp tickets easily could be quadrupled and offered to a number of deserving groups in this region.

Posted by: NatsFan312 | July 26, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse