Let's make plans

Two notes about members of the Tim Kremchek Rehab team.

* Aaron Boone will be eligible to come off the DL right after the Atlanta series, the first after the All-Star break. So he will only miss seven games, if his rehab goes well. "I think we're going to try to push it," Boone said today, "but I think realistically I wasn't going to be back by this weekend. By retroactive, when the time's up, I'll be ready to go. A strain is new to me. I'll work to get it right, and hopefully I'll be ready to work when the time expires."

* Jim Bowden said two things today about Ryan Zimmerman that, at first glance, seemed to conflict. First, he said Zimmerman will likely begin a rehab assignment early next week. Second, he said that the team will know for good by August 1 whether Zimmerman's shoulder has responded to rehab; if all signs are good by August 1, season-ended surgery can finally be ruled out. So, here's what this means: Zimmerman can conceivably return to the Washington lineup in late July and STILL face a hurdle in his recovery. It's a strange scenario, but that's what we're dealing with here.

Now, for the red meat entree here.

This is a heartfelt invitation, really, and everybody who reads it can consider himself or herself invited. On Sunday night, around 7:30 p.m. or so, I was hoping all who are interested can head over to the Capitol Lounge (229 Pennsylvania Ave. SE)... I'll be there, ready to buy some beers for the blogosphere, talk about coverage (or lacking coverage) of the team, field complaints, and perhaps even share some ideas about where this blog can go in the future. Stop by for a beer or two -- or more, if that's what watching a half-season of Nationals baseball has necessitated.

Listen, I know this journal has potential, passion and power. Most days, it's the first place I go when I wake up and the last thing I think about when I go to sleep. Maybe it's a statement on the reality of online interactivity -- the kind of thing that might be worth, say, 1,300 footnoted words from Chuck Klosterman -- but the Nats Journal feels not just like an extension of a workplace, but also a community. Much of the strength of this forum comes from the ideas and knowledge and creativity and humor of those who read and post. But I think strength also comes from familiarity. So here's a start.

My apologies if the date doesn't work for those who would have otherwise been interested. Perhaps we can do more in the future. We'll see how much the Post company credit card can bend before it breaks.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 10, 2008; 7:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's lineups from Nats Park
Next: Arizona 7, Washington 5

Comments

If I can get a babysitter, I'm there. *starts making calls*

This is a gutsy response to all of our complaining(and much, much better than Dan Steinbergs weak excuse of an insulting response that he posted yesterday), and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is on this.

I'll do my absolute best to make it.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 10, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

addendum - though I don't plan to drink, so you won't have to worry about spending money on me.

the invitation was enough.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 10, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd be there, except for the small detail of distance...

Awesome idea, Chico...

Posted by: Wigi | July 10, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Chico, that is some offer. I appreciate it and am going to do what I can to make it, though as of now I can't commit for certain.

As to Zimmerman, is there any risk that the partial tear can worsen into a complete tear during his "rehab"? If so I don't understand why they would risk it given what a complete tear entails.

Finally, I am at the game tonight. Can anyone tell me why there are 4 cameras perched above the batter's eye? Unless my memory is betraying me, usually there is only one.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | July 10, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm there! Hooray Beer!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

And Hooray Bergmann!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh man Flores got a real good piece of that one... about 380 feet. Still an out, but signs of his swing coming back into form.

Posted by: Jason | July 10, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Also, I feel that Bergmann's performance since returning from injury has gone a bit understated around here, the guy has been pretty brilliant. He's still kind of a wildcard, due to his inconsistency, but I definitely consider him a part of the future, possibly a long term number 3 starter.

Posted by: Jason | July 10, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

It's as if WMP is content with just making contact. WMP as a threat is such a distant memory. Unfortunately

Posted by: McNatland | July 10, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

while im not there, nor do i comment here ever, i think this was something pretty impressive by Chico. by the amount of garbage he gets from other commenters, im surprised he'd meet you all in a public place.

i'd say, remember, i dont think these guys get paid any extra to blog, and are doing this on top of their actual job. So i'd cut him some slack.

bravo, chico.

Posted by: jon | July 10, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I think I got new-posted. So here it is again for those interested:

------------------------------------------

As best as I can tell from http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Washington has indeed put the most players on the DL.

Following is my list, and any interesting facts:

WAS 20 Released John Patterson
OAK 18 Eric Chavez began on the 60-day, activated, and is now on 15-day
PHI 9 MVP Rollins spent almost a month on the DL
PIT 4 Nothing interesting
SAD 16 Chris Young on DL after a Pujols line drive broke his nose
SAF 7 Nothing interesting
SEA 5 J.J. Putz has been on DL twice
STL 16 Major questions about Chris Carpenter and Mark Mulder (on DL)
TAM 9 Rocco Baldelli on DL - mitochondrial disorder
TEX 17 Hank Blalock on DL since late April
TOR 7 Released Frank Thomas

All I can say is Billy Beane is good, and Kansas City stinks.

Posted by: BF | July 10, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Chico, I'm impressed. Even if it's on The Post's dime and not yours, it still takes cojones to meet with some of us nasty bloggers.

That being said, I have to pick a friend up from Dulles, so I won't be able to attend. Thanks, though.

Posted by: DCSportsPlus.blogspot.com | July 10, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

WMP with a running catch? To quote the late Jack Buck "I can't believe what I just saw!"

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 10, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

That run is on the rookie Bernadina. The double by Drew - Bernadina didn't even move his feet.

Posted by: 6th and D | July 10, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

For God's sake could they get a pitcher to play left field? It is better than big boy waving at curve balls and topping fast balls back to the mound.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

And that, friends, was a hell of a performance from Bergmann. It's a quality start, sure, but what I'm so pleased about is

1) Manny left Bergmann in, even with 100 pitches having been reached

2) Bergmann conquered his mental demons, and got out of a bad place with very minimal damage

Bergmann's biggest problem has always been getting in the way of his pitching ability and tonight, I think, is an important indicator that he may be overcoming that. If he does, who is STOKED about Lannan-Bergmann in '10?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of using alcohol to quell complaints about coverage.

Posted by: DBKAlum | July 10, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Did I just see that? We let a .143 hitting rookie stay in the game as the tying run at the plate, so he can ground into a DP? Chico, can you buy me a drink right now???

Posted by: baltova | July 10, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Haren for Cy Young!

Posted by: SF Fan | July 10, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, why take the dude out. You can't be mad at them.

Gives me even more desire to win it in the 9th!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO NATS!!!!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

angel hernandez is full of poop, i said it poop. what an unprofessional ass

Posted by: love | July 10, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, even Charlie and Dave can't understand why Manny didn't lose it with Hernandez on the non-call for obstruction of Guzman.

Posted by: CE | July 10, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

AHHHHHHHHHHH What is happening?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Explain, explain! Panic attack!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

506

On the Kearns hit/Reynolds misplay, Hudson apparently (inadvertently?) blocked Guzman's progress to 3B. Manny discussed with Hernandez, who didn't allow the advance and Guzman is on 2B.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 10, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I think he blew that call. You've got to give the runner the benefit of the doubt there. How can Guzman decide to try for third if Hudson bumps him and slows him down? I think Angel Hernandez should buy Manny a drink after this one (to keep the drinking theme going here).

Posted by: baltova | July 10, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Jesus! This is a professional at bat!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Ronnie, please!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

reynolds makes his THIRD error at 3B and the bases are loaded with two outs. maybe he should take up a sport where he doesn't have to use his hands - like soccer.

Posted by: natsscribe | July 10, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Reynolds is the Nats player of the game tonight. Someone should buy him a drink, except I think he would drop it.

Why is Bernadina batting, again????

Posted by: baltova | July 10, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

No Manny, you couldn't possibly have kept Bernadina in there...

Posted by: SF Fan | July 10, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, Bernadina, make us look like judgmental jerks (why not Bells to take over at 3B?)

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

What about those of us who live in Idaho and don't drink?

Will you FedEx me a Pepsi?

Posted by: The Beltway Boy | July 10, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Free extra-innings baseball.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 10, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Beltway Boy, you live a long way from any beltway, don't you?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Boy, you guys are missing a great ride of the peleton on the rebroadcast!

Posted by: Poster to be not Lance | July 10, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I knew only looking at earned runs and projecting over 9 innings was to much of a simplification. Kudos to BF.

Posted by: PTBNL | July 10, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Section 506,
I live a long way from anywhere.
Seriously, 25 years inside the DC Beltway was enough for me. It's a little more quiet here, but I still have my ties to home through the internet.

Posted by: The Beltway Boy | July 10, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Chico, I'll be sure to make that date. I'll wear a Nats cap so you'll know it's me.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

oy!

Posted by: natsscribe | July 10, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Dammit, Rauch. Why can't you be never off?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Was Young's hit deep enough to center to have scored a Guzman tagging from third base?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's just give it all up. Stupid Wookie.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

The wheels have come off the cart. The lads have some work to do to pull out this one.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 10, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

chico,

can some of us meet you for that beer tonight?

Posted by: natsscribe | July 10, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Angel Hernandez is fixing games. What a douche.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

When Melvin replaced Reynolds with Ojeda, we lost our offensive advantage.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 10, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

How does Manny bat a .143 rookie who is clearly overmatched with the game on the line and Belliard, Orr, and Nieves on the bench? What possible justification could there be?

Posted by: springfield, va | July 10, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope Chico beats some of you whiners up.

Posted by: big fish | July 10, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

This is an old school Nats game. Never say die.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Whats with the Lady with the "We Believe: sign behind home plate I didn't know this was a playoff game and we were down 3 games to none.

Posted by: junkbucket | July 10, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I think I like the sign lady. And how about some props for Tim Tolman sending Guzman?

Posted by: baltova | July 10, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

AUSTIN I STINK NO MORE KEARNS!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Young - IBB

You fools.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Paging LAC....Headline in tomorrow's Post

Nationals Withhold Rent on Ballpark
Hundreds of Items Are Incomplete, Team Owners Say

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 10, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

oh god, luis "gasoline alley" ayala in the game? think i'll get ready for bed now.

Posted by: natsscribe | July 10, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope Chico beats some of you whiners up.

----

why don't you show up on Sunday and do it yourself, tough guy.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 10, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

good night, gracie.

Posted by: natsscribe | July 10, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

This bullpen is pathetic. I feel like swearing so badly right now. I am going to go hit something. This offense shows so much fight out of nowhere, and Luis(expletive)Ayala goes and blows it (again). The only exciting part about watching that half inning was listening to the amazingly drunk guy screaming in the background. Unbelievable how a starter can be so good and a bullpen can just (expletive) it all up. Let's hope they can do magic again. (Really, really doubt it)

Posted by: Jason | July 10, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

natsluck, dammit!

Posted by: natsscribe | July 10, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Ayala just can't handle pressure. Keep him out of tough situations.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice offer by Chico and the Post. Quite a contrast to the filth that is the Lerner family.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Jason, Colome and Manning did just fine tonight. Manning is by no means a stud, but he's shaping into serviceable. Colome seems to have settled a lot, too, though I'm less convinced of that.

It's Ayala that has turned into a basketcase. Rivera, too, in tight situations is looking shaky. Here we see the pain of losing the Chief. There's no one between the 7th and the 9th (not that Rauch had it tonight).

Finally, would Guzman have scored on Dmitri's centerfield fly if Angel Hernandez was not the king of all rooster gobblers?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Ayala stinks. That was a fun 9th and 10th though. Props to Bergmann, he pitched great, glad he didn't have to get the loss.

Posted by: Jason | July 10, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey maybe if Bowden talks a little more sh*t about Angel Hernandez, then he'll shape up. It always works to fight with the umps, and if calling them MF on the field doesn't do it, then trashing them in the paper after the game always works.

Come on JimBo, show him what a big man you are.

Posted by: FireJimBowden.Blogspot.com | July 10, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there MrMadison. I'll look for the dork without a beer.

Posted by: big fish | July 10, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there MrMadison. I'll look for the dork without a beer.

-------------

I'm not hard to find, and I don't hide.

see you there.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 10, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Cool! I'll be there. What a great invite!

What a great game! (Ayala, overworked though he is, still is nicknamed Gasoline Alley in my book, though. Bring him in, more often than not, and he sets the place on fire in a bad way.)

Posted by: samantha7 | July 10, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Pardon for borrowing Ayala's nickname. I'll have to come up with another option (like optioning Ayala to a faraway ballpark so he can torch other teams' games), but Gasoline Alley is so right.

Can't say I agree at all with Manny's keeping Bernadina in, although he showed some poise at the bat. What was Manny thinking? Practice makes perfect??? Pffft.

Posted by: samantha7 | July 10, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

What is this bullsh*t about not paying rent? The Lerners must really be DC tenants!

Posted by: kwamesnani | July 10, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Love the offer, Chico. I'll try but can't promise either. 7:30 is right at that perfect time that's too late for me to hang out after the game and too early to go home and come back out again.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 10, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

The Lerners are withholding their rent payment of $3.5 million from DC contending that the stadium is incomplete.

Time to vent. What cheek. They field a cheap weak team and nickle and dime the city on numerous expenses. And they still want more. Just mindboggling!

Posted by: Count Demoney | July 10, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Gee whiz, Lerner morons, let it go already!! Your team's not doing well overall, you got a stadium for free, and you're being beyond petty. Disgusts me. You're pissing on the city that made it possible for you to buy what's currently a cash cow for you.

Posted by: Lerners are stupid as well as cheap | July 10, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Okay so I come home after missing most of the afternoon's comments and the game.

Hard loss, but damn the recap on gameday looked good.

re: comments. My gawd the humor in this place is ratcheting up. Scooter, you cracked me up calling me an impudent whelp (!). LDO, you did me in on your "comments recap" and your "crap complaining scale". 506, your little roller coaster ride had me rolling. 9:26: Yippee! 9:30: confusion sets in; 9:32: panic attack; 9:37: euphoria again 9:38 back to anxious anticipation.

And OMG, big fish hoping Chico beats us whiners up (LOL!), then Mr. Madison telling him to show up "tough guy." I don't know if ya'll were being serious, but I'm dying here.

I'm often accused of laughing too long at stupid things, and i know i say this all the time, but that sh*t was hilarious. Thanks for the laughs!

Posted by: NatsNut | July 10, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Count Demoney | July 10, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm still rather pleased with tonight's game, despite some very real gripes. There's something satisfying about forcing a team to beat you three times in one night. They played like the plucky, underdog Nats of old.

And, hey, how about Bergy?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 10, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

A second to Count Demoney's post about the city standing firm to the Lerners' uber-stinginess and to 506 re: the way the team and Bergmann played.

Posted by: samantha7 | July 11, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Home from the game, and I see the point has been made by a few commenters, but if there's a professional journalist in the house, would he please ask Manny Acta how in Hades he could let Bernadina bat in the 9th and Pena in the 10th with the winning run on 3rd base and Ronnie Belliard (and Will Nieves in the 9th) on the bench. I thought perhaps he was injured or something, but lo and behold there he is playing first base in the top of the 11th after Pena weekly grounds out once again.

The game was very entertaining and the Nats certainly fought back. But for goodness sakes, we had the winning run on third base twice and sent up a .125 hitting rookie and the eternally disappointing WMP (now batting .209) in those two innings while Ronnie Belliard, who WINS GAMES for us sits on the pine. I felt sick. It would have been better to send up Odalis Perez than Bernadina and Pena in those situations. (And come to think of it, what a great FU to Angel it would have been to have OP win the game for us.)

Chico, very nice offer, even if the beer weren't free. I'm tied up on Sunday evening, but please do it again sometime. Would be great to meet you and the other talented writers we have on here. Meantime, please ask Acta about his logic here. I believe we lost this game because of our manager, and I don't feel that way very often.

Posted by: Section 222 | July 11, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna try and make it Chico. Your offer is outstanding and well appreciated...at least by me.

Free booze makes the Nats coverage much better. But be warned, I drink a alot....you better bring the WP corporate Amex card.

And for anyone wanting to pick a fight, I'll be the guy wearing the Nats hat.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | July 11, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Could someone in the know (Chico?) pass this along to Stan? I simply guessed at his e-mail address this evening...

---

Dear Mr. Kasten,

I read in the online edition of The Washington Post this evening that the Lerner ownership group is withholding rent from the District government over claims that Nationals Park is incomplete. I've attended many home games this season in the new ballpark and had no idea I was enjoying baseball (though not the woeful team being passed off as a major league club on the field) in an incomplete park. As such, I won't make the same mistake of attending a game in such a horribly incomplete venue, and I'll just wait until the venue is complete to attend again (I'm sure I'll be able to tell when it's complete by when the rent starts actually being paid). I also wouldn't want to witness the eyesore that is an incomplete ballpark, so I'll be sure to skip the games on TV as well (Why not? Everyone else is, apparently.) In the meantime, perhaps you could put the money the club is saving on rent toward signing players who hustle slightly more than my grandmother, who is, in fact, dead.

Posted by: natswriter | July 11, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

"I really hope DC shows some backbone here for once. DC needs to demand its own penalties for the Lerner's failure to pay rent. Can you imagine how the Lerners would behave if one of their tenants tried the same crap."

Interesting you should say this. How about a situation where the tables are turned, and the Lerners are building an office building that the DC government will rent from them. The construction deadline arrives, the city moves in, but there's an outstanding punch list of hundreds of unfinished items and it appears that the Lerner landlords have no intention of finishing them in a timely fashion. Would you suggest that the city just say ah, never mind, and forget about it? Or would you say the city should use whatever legal rights it has under the terms of the contract to get its landlord to finish the job it contracted to do - things such as withholding rent, demanding penalty payments that are spelled out in the contract, and ultimately going to arbitration to resolve the contract dispute? You don't think the city would behave in that situation in exactly the same way that the Lerners are behaving in this situation?

This is a contract dispute. It will go to arbitration or to court. The arbiter or the judge or the jury will make a decision, and the Lerners and the city will abide by it. Only if one or the other parties ultimately goes against the court's or the arbiter's decision does anyone have any right to disparage them for what they are doing now. This is a nation of laws, contracts are a foundation of the law, and the law and justice will play out. Get over your agitation, relax, and enjoy the game. This contractual dispute is irrelevant to basebal being played here in DC.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | July 11, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

I guess it's impossible to, you know, keep paying your rent while you dispute the contract.

I don't think the ownership deserves most of the criticism leveled at them for being cheap (i.e. payroll), but some of this shti is le redonk. Paying for the uniforms? Not paying rent? WTF is that? Don't you have any pride in yourself and how you are perceived by the outside world? What did you expect out of the DC government? Don't you realize that, economically, it is not in your best interests to create an image that makes people not want to give you any money?

Posted by: kwamesnani | July 11, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Wow Chico, Beer on the Post? I'm tempted to make a joke about what that would do to the Post's budget for covering the team (see extended discussion on the Bog today). But for all I know, someone has already commented on the budget implications of meeting at the watering hole ... I didn't read all the entries today.

But really, that's a nice gesture. It would be great to meet you and to associate a face with some of the various characters who post here. I'll stop by if I can.

Posted by: dcbatgirl | July 11, 2008 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Chico -

I'll be there dressed as Arthur Mercante, as it looks like we'll be needing a good professional to referee the fight between Mr. Madison, a knowledgeable baseball fan respected in these parts, and some stranger named Big Fish, who does not know that Mr. Madison looks and fights like Kimbo Slice only he's in terrific shape and has never had to go more than one round.

Posted by: flynnie | July 11, 2008 3:55 AM | Report abuse

Chico - Thanks very much for the invite and I will try to be there, The team shows such heart that they are impossible not to root for, and have given us 35 wins - more than the Redskins in 3 years. What drives me to drink are the Lerners, who today are busily confirming our worst fears. Also, coverage that does not focus on beautiful plays on the field but either on "look-at-me the artiste writing" like Andy the Intern's gamer before it was hewn by the editorial ax or Joseph White's AP gamer from the 5-0 win that pronounced the game a waste of time.

Posted by: flynnie | July 11, 2008 4:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie | July 11, 2008 4:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie | July 11, 2008 4:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry! The old man doesn't have alzheimer's. We do, however, have an overhappy trigger finger on the submit button.

Posted by: Flynnie's daughter | July 11, 2008 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the offer, Chico. Your willingness to address coverage (and to meet with the NJ crowd) is admirable. I doubt that I'll make this one due to the timing, but I will anticipate the possibility of a future gathering. Like Mr. Madison, I wouldn't be drinking either, though I can't say the same for my hubby. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

p.s. Perhaps those of us who can't attend might submit questions in advance, as for a chat? :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

RKGF - Whatever.

I went to the game last night and, sure enough, some of the food stands had run out of certain items by the 5th inning. No cheese pizza (2nd time for me). No chocolate sauce for the helmet sundaes. Minor things and you can go elsewhere to find these items - which I did. Still I dont understand why they can't restock in the middle of the game from other on site food vendors.

Despite the loss and the Lerners, I did enjoy the good game last night.

Posted by: Count Demoney | July 11, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Impressive offer and look forward to meeting you!

Posted by: misschatter | July 11, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

People on this forum picking fights with other people? How low can you go? I'm surprised.

Oh, it's MrMadison. Not surprised, after all.

Posted by: I'll Referee | July 11, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh, it's MrMadison. Not surprised, after all.
-------------

hi richnats. haven't seen you in WNFF in a while. what gives? was your personal vendetta against me satisfied, so you don't have anymore reason to post? or are you following me from board to board now?

and lmao @ me "picking fights". I'm not the one talking tough about "beating up you whiners" on a message board.

so go figure.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 11, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

_____________

i'm not richnats. i'm assuming he's not following you around from board to board for the same reason i don't: you're too boring and predictable to expend too much effort over.

Posted by: I'll Referee | July 11, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I can see letting Bernadina hit in those situations - but I cringe thinking of Wily Mo. Why the difference? The future is now, and Manny can learn something about Bernadina by letting him hit in that situation. And yes, that makes it look like winning a game is not #1 priority.

But I think we know what the future holds for Wily Mo. At least I hope I know - and I see the Nats eating his $2M option for '09 and kicking him to the curb.

Regarding Sunday - I'll try to make it. Chico, can you bring name tags so that we can wear our NJ Names, so that we can see who the crazies are, and avoid confronting them.

Posted by: Sec 114, Row E | July 11, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the invite, but I can't make it this time either. A little more advanced notice on the next one.

The NATS are notorious for planning things and not letting the public know until a a day or 2 before.

A week or 2 would be great!

Regarding Stadium Issues. It does appear that the Lerners are doing sour grapes. There are a lot of people who opposed the building of the stadium. Its a no-win situation which a judge will have to have the final say. Of course there can be appeals. It all depends on what's in the fine print. I myself don't pay the contractor the full amount when work is done on my house until every little detail is finished. I put down half and the rest is when its done! I'm curious what details are left, since it obviously is habitable.

Posted by: CALSGR8 | July 11, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand either Bernadina batting in the 9th or WMP in the 10th. As 222 said, someone in the media should have asked Manny about that, but apparently no one did, judging from the snippets of Manny's PC on Nats' Xtra and today's WaPo. Anybody know about the Times?

And the Nats' Xtra last night was embarrssingly bad. No pictures or discussion of the Rauch and Ayala conflagrations. The whole focus was on Haren and Bergie's performance. They totally mishandled the drama of the last three innings. Not pointing out and discussing the strategic decisions that the managers made is a disservice and insult to the viewing audience. But then again, maybe they were thinking, the 9,000 households watching are already baseball cognoscenti--no need to bore them with this stuff. Who needs bigger audiences?

Posted by: CapPeterson | July 11, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of coverage, Steinberg posted another response within this morning's comments over in the wading pool or whatever you kids are calling it these days. :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 11, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse