Lineups

Tonight's lineups

(And by the way, check the NatCast before heading out. Looks gloomy here at Nationals Park right now.)

Philadelphia

Flores - 2
Belliard - 4
Lo Duca - 3
Lopez - 6
Redding - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  July 30, 2008; 4:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From all over the place
Next: Tradeability, signability

Comments

This Pudge for Farsnworth trade makes no sense to me, there must be another player involved or something. Does Detroit need to save money so bad they'll basically give up 2 draft picks (Pudge is a Class A FA) for Farnsworth?

All you out there who think Bowden is the worst GM...and this after trading for Willis and Cabrera in the off-season too, maybe Bowden can go to Detroit and we can finally promote Rizzo...

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Chico, and the weather looks bad too!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 30, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Despite the obvious short hand we've been dealt (AK's .313 SLG at cleanup, the presence of PLod and FLop), it's amazing to see how much Lastings and Zim alter that lineup. That's an MLB lineup.

And I guess there was really ZERO interest in PLod for the Yanks. They had their sights set a wee bit higher.

Posted by: nat in beantown | July 30, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Do does Detroit need a catcher now? I can think of one they can have (and we'd throw a middle infielder in too).

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | July 30, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

estuartj--

Detroit's GM Dave Dombrowski is widely regarded as one of the best in the game

Posted by: Sal | July 30, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Detroit's GM Dave Dombrowski is widely regarded as one of the best in the game"

Not anymore!

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

If Timmy has a good outing tonight, what are the chances he's packing up his apartment this time tomorrow?

Posted by: Corey | July 30, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

So I just read on the mlb trade blog site that the Twins are looking around for additional infielders after Alexei Casilla went down.

I propose Lopez and Kearns (they want a right handed bat) for Boof Bonser, who's down in AAA, or the equivalent of ace in our rotation.

Takers, anyone? John in Mpls, is this worth it?
hahaha
ok, seriously, would the Twins take Lopez off our hands, or do we have to deal Kearnsy straight up.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | July 30, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Dombrowski built a perfect post-drug testing team for Detroit - good mix of youth and veterens, fast, good fielding, ability to play small ball. It was a great fit with Comerica. Then, when they decided to up the ante in the AL Central, they went all Steinbrenner on us. They added big contracts for guys on suspect career trends. They may be in a quagmire for awhile, unless this is the beginning of a fire sale.

Posted by: nat in beantown | July 30, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Just because Pudge is a type A FA doesn't mean they'll offer him arbitration. He's making like $13 mil I think...if my thoughts are correct they can only offer him a 20% pay decrease through arbitration, which would be $10.4 mil. If that's the case, no way they offer him arbitration, especially with Posada there anyways.

Posted by: Hoagie | July 30, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

And Redding doesn't have to have a great start to be moved, he's got pretty decent value as is.

Posted by: Hoagie | July 30, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

well, who knows how much posada will play C in the future. he's a long-term 1B/DH guy at this point. i think that's why some of the other catchers they were looking at were guys they could keep for at least a couple of years (like laird), even if it meant resigning them.

estuartj, are you sure pudge is a type A FA? i'd be surprised to see that. he hasn't been the pudge of old for a few years, and even with a slight resurgence this year, is only middle-of-the-road offensively.

Posted by: 231 | July 30, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the Yanks will offer Pudge arbitration, Pudge will likely decline so he can seek a multi-year deal. If he does accept they can move Posada to 1st (or DH) and Giambi would DH full time.

Lord knows they can afford it...

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I suppose the Tigers are content with Inge as their primary catcher for the rest of the season. With Zumaya hurting (again), Rodney and Jones question marks in terms of performance, they probably said "Farnsworth has pitched well as a set up guy the past few months and has closed before." This may push Rodney back to set up, where he's done well. I can see this one on the merits.

As for a Casilla replacement, our old friend Alejandro Machado (a/k/a, the Beta test version of E-Boni) is back after his labrum surgery and playing in Rochester. He almost got the job in 2007 before he hurt his shoulder.

Posted by: PTBNL | July 30, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

DET has Inge to catch.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

From MLBTR;

"Talked to Eddie Bajek, who is working on reverse-engineering the Elias formula. He has A.J. Burnett on the Type A/Type B borderline. Ivan Rodriguez and Edgar Renteria should both be Type As."

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Farnsworth will be a FA too.

Posted by: 756* | July 30, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

MLBTraderumors mentioned Tim Redding today, but only to say that the Mets aren't interested in him.

I have to temper my desire for a trade with the reality that Redding is a good pitcher. However, after resigning Meat Hook, I have to pause before worrying about keeping who we have.

I suppose we should have traded Belliard as well, but I like him too much, and he was really cheap.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | July 30, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Belliard is a valuable backup, and priced correctly for that role.

I've said all along I think Redding is more valuable in the off season than he is right now. If we decide to keep him as the stabalizing force and sage veteran we can sign him to an extension to cover his (2?) arbitration years and keep him at reasonable cost until our Zimmermann, Detwiler and Crows (sign him please before my ulcer burst!) are ready.

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Looking at tonights line-up and forseeing the pending return of Dukes and Guzman plus the eventual call-up of Bonifacio and maybe Bill Rhinehart the striking thing is I can't decide who should hit clean-up, or who Manny will likely bat in that spot. My best guess is;

1. Guzman (SS)
2. Milledge (CF)
3. Zimmerman (3B)
4. Flores (CA)
5. Dukes (LF)
6. Kearns (RF)
7. LoDuca/Rhinhart (1B)
8. Harris/Bonifacio (2B)
9. Pitcher

Manny can basically move around any of the 3 in the 4-6 holes (although I would never, even tonight, have Kearns batting cleanup).

Posted by: MO Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Acta would do it, but I would hit Dukes 3rd and have Zimmerman bat cleanup. You could also have Harris or Bonifacio lead off with Guz in the 2 hole and bump Milledge to 3, Zim to 4 etc.

Posted by: estuartj | July 30, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree, it could look...
Bonafacio
Guzman
Zimmerman (Manny won't move him out of the 3)
Dukes
Milledge
Flores
Kearns
1B

Posted by: Corey | July 30, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a link to today's chat? Thanks.

Posted by: clueless | July 30, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

This I-Rod/Fransworth trade is interesting. I don't think Dombrowski is as stupid as some people think. Over the week end when the Yanks were on TV, Girardi said that Jose Molina was the team's MVP because of the way he had handled pitchers and thrown out runners. Steve Phillips just said on ESPN that the Yanks had picked up I-Rod for protection in case Molina got hurt. He also said that the Tigers wanted to play Inge anyway and that it had caused friction with I-Rod because they had been sitting him more and more. Considering how difficult their bullpen situation has been lately, they might have shored up a weakness and jettisoned a problem. I-Rod really has been fairly ordinary this year.

Posted by: #4 | July 30, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

click news, then discussions...you can get to it that way.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 30, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

clueless: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2008/07/25/DI2008072502626.html

It's linked off the Sports main page, and then only updated on the rotating banner on the Nats page a day or two later.

That said, on the coverage issue, there are some seriously easy things that WaPo could do to make the Nats coverage work better:

- How about an obvious, direct link to NJ from the Nats page? (right now you have to wait for the rotating banner to get there)
- How about listing the date of Chico, Boz and Sheinin's chats with the link, so you know if it's been updated?
- How about a direct link to sortable team stats, rather than the MLB-wide "basics" link?
- How about a list with links to the most recent NJ postings, Nats-related Bog postings, to interesting comment posts, or - God forbid - interesting posts on non-WaPo blogs?

There's no new content needed here, just some redesign of the site to direct people to new content. The Nats page should be the jumping off point for all the recent coverage. Right now, any story more than a day old gets bumped to the archive search ether. There is certainly screen space to spare - I'm not sure that one of the most visible parts of the Nats page needs to be the seven stale features that have been on the page for months (and even years).

I'm not casting a "coverage is lacking" vote, but presentation and organization sure is.

Posted by: nat in beantown | July 30, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: here you go | July 30, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Echo on the Pudge not being some extraordinary coup. In fact, 5 HR and 32 RBI through 82 games played sounds like the definition of ordinary for a catcher.

Heck, Jesus has 6 HR and 42 RBI through just 64 games, not to mention a clutch hit or two... and he's still just learning the ML ropes and had to split time with the other 3 catchers we've had on the roster.

Posted by: faNATic | July 30, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm calling it now: Flores will hit a homerun in tonight's game. I don't know why, I just have a feeling that he's going to crush a soft Moyer-ball.

Posted by: Jesus (Flores) saves | July 30, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

On the question of Pudge's status as a Type A free agent, I did see the projection at MLBTR that he would be one. But the formula is heavily weighted towards counting stats, including ABs. If Detroit kept Pudge but started playing Inge more, there is a good chance this would result in him dropping out of Type A status.

Taking as gospel the other comments above that indicate Detroit did want to play Inge more, they were quite possibly faced with the following decision tree:

A. No trade, Pudge starts, Inge stays as a reserve = 2 draft picks for compensation, no improvement to the team.

B. No trade, Inge starts, Pudge is a reserve = 1 draft pick (Pudge falls to Type B), improvement in the catcher position.

C. Make the trade, Inge starts, Farnsworth joins the team = 0 draft picks, improvement in two positions.

Posted by: Fibi | July 30, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jesus (Flores) saves | July 30, 2008 6:47 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Please make another prediction... (Flop will be traded perhaps?)

Posted by: Twinbrook, MD | July 30, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Nice work, 6:47 mystery person.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 30, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

If any of you drink, now is a great time to have one. If you don't, now is a good time to start, unless you are like my friend James' Uncle Fate (LaFayette), who, if he had just one, would wake up in a Pullman car in Chicago and not know how he got there.

Posted by: flynnie | July 30, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse