On new teams and new starts

Just a smattering of items from the notebook here:

*Before today's game, Paul Lo Duca sat on a sofa in the clubhouse watching the final outs of the Yankees-Sox game. If Lo Duca had a chance to land anywhere, he thought, it might be in New York -- especially given the injury to Posada.

Asked about the possibility of pinstripes, Lo Duca said, "Yeah, sure [I'd like it]. I live there. I've got a home there. Yeah, definitely. You have to stay even keel, because you don't know what's going to happen. I'm happy to be here, but sure, I would love to be in a pennant race. It's one of the best franchises in sports, and to play in the last year in Yankee Stadium, yeah, it would definitely be neat."

Well, a familiar source says the Yanks have no interest in Lo Duca. Zero. If Lo Duca wants to catch in a pennant race, it'll have to happen elsewhere.

* Ahead of schedule, OF Elijah Dukes began his rehab assignment today with the Nationals' Gulf Coast League affiliate. According to assistant general manager Mike Rizzo, Dukes already feels capable, physically, of rejoining the Nationals. Dukes has been on the disabled list since injury his right knee on July 5 against Cincinnati. Originally, the team had expected that Dukes would miss four to six weeks.

* The Dodgers have a new third baseman in tonight's lineup.

* And before he even comes to bat, LA has a 2-0 lead. Five pitches into the bottom of the first, Odalis Perez has given up two hits, including a homer to Matt Kemp.

* Oh, and one other guy in the house tonight? Former Nat Robert Fick, spotted on the field before the game yakking it up with his former manager and teammates. Fick is currently out of baseball, and looking for a team.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 26, 2008; 10:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guzman out of tonight's lineup
Next: Guzman medical update

Comments

hmmm... does anyone remember who our defensive replacement at 1b was last year?

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | July 26, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

"OF Elijah Dukes began his rehab assignment today with the Nationals' Gulf Coast League affiliate"

I am SO happy! Let's hope he has no setbacks.

FYI ... in that GCL game, Destin Hood played abd went 2-2, scored 2 runs and stole 2 bases. Great debut!

Also, Josh Smoker pitched 6 innings of 1 hit ball with no runs allowed.

And in AAA, Bonifacio went 2-3 with a double and 2 walks, scoring 4 runs and stealing one base.

Since the major league team ain't got much to cheer for, I'm holding onto whatever bright spots I can.

Posted by: e | July 26, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I feel you e, gotta look at the bright spots, wherever they are. Can't wait for Dukes to get back and for Boni to be playing 2B.

Posted by: joNAThan | July 26, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh... Dukes back in Florida, albeit for a short rehab stint. Johnny Law, get your guns ready.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | July 26, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Dukes did 6 weeks in FLA with no incidents in Feb/March.

Posted by: joNAThan | July 26, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Man, the Nationals can make ANYONE look like a Cy Young candidate on a given night.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | July 27, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

and Steven can make Jim Bowden look classy

Posted by: Fake Chad Cordero | July 27, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Dukes = The Anti-Nick Johnson

Posted by: Jason | July 27, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

going back a couple of posts (i was playing a show w/my band tonight):

[quote=ptbnl ]On the other hand, his declining steal totals suggest that he's an old 30 and if he finishes this year with more than 120 games played and a 700 OPS, he'd be doing it for the first time in his career.[/quote]

this is from hardball times? really? do they not have access to actual stats? (a) 06 and 07 were the first time since 2001 he hasn't played at least 142 games. and only once before 06/07 did he play less than 120 games, and that was 2001. (b) his OPS has been above 700 three times. 2001, 2007 (granted, 46 games), and this year (100 games). you'd think baseball times would actually know real stats, if you quoted them accurately.

Posted by: 231 | July 27, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

They are saying that he has never done both in the same season, which a quick check on baseball-reference.com will confirm. Yes, he has played more than 120 games multiple times and yes, he has posted an OPS over 700 multiple times. However, these two things have not happened in the same season. Hitting well isn't worth much if you aren't healthy (see Johnson, Nick) and being healthy isn't worth much if you can't hit (see Lopez, Felipe).

Posted by: Anonymous | July 27, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

The dog days, like global warming, are here already. At least when September gets here, maybe we get a look at the junior nationals.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 27, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

eh. you can cherry pick stats to make them say all kinds of things.

Posted by: 231 | July 27, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | July 26, 2008 11:27 PM
______________________

This isn't me. Someone posted as me, and I don't appreciate it. Especially since I consider a lot of the Dukes criticism out there to be tinged with not so subtle racism. I'm totally rooting for that guy. Whoever thinks they need to post under my name needs to get a life.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | July 27, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Not a surprise that the Yanks don't want LoDuca, to be honest with all the injuries to out firstbasemen I'm fine with him sticking around, as long as he isn't behind the plate or till Boone is back (any updates?).

We didn't give up anything to get him (except the money of course) and we won't get anything in return so we might as well use him.

If absolutely nothing else he's better than starting Robert Fick, though I do miss him - can we sign him to work in the booth?

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Just kidding guys it really was me. I am THE Steven on Capitol Hill. Accept no imitations.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | July 27, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Steven

I trust that wasn't you--I have admired (for the most part!) your contributions to this forum and was shocked to read something like that. Someone posted under my name the other day, so it happens. (Chico-is there any way to register our names???). At any rate, Go Dukes (and I agree about the subtle racism latent in the discussion of Dukes and others).

Peace and blessings

Posted by: joNAThan | July 27, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I was miffed when someone posted as me about ten days ago.

Posted by: Annie Savoy | July 27, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Me, too.

Posted by: Annie Savoy | July 27, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

see, this is why I don't use the same name regularly. They can't steal your identity if you're anonymous.

Posted by: yeah, you'd like me to sign this, wouldn't you? | July 27, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I hate when that happens.

Posted by: yeah, you'd like me to sign this, wouldn't you? | July 27, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

and anyway, it would have been at least theoretically funny, if they'd posted as "Stephen on Capitol Hill" or "Steven OF Capitol Hill" or even "Steven on Capital Hill" (although then JayB would've gotten blamed, probably).

Posted by: Section 3 of my sofa | July 27, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

laughing, 2:42 pm

Posted by: yylmtstwy | July 27, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

[chuckles]

Posted by: 2:42 pm | July 27, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

f Een plaatje zegt alles, toch ? g Het volledige rapport is hier te vinden. Lees natuurlijk d de blogposting. v v
паркетная доска 3l