The Fully Contextualized Jim Bowden Q&A, trade deadline ed.

Q: What do you think of Gonzalez? Why do you like him?

Alberto Gonzalez: Major League defensive shortstop. Mike Rizzo, (and scouts) Kris Kline, Bill Singer, Ed Durkin know him really well. They scouted him since they signed him. Major League shortstop. .250 or .260 hitter, but can really play shortstop with a gun. Hard to get middle infielders that can do that. So we feel now that with Gonzalez and (Emilio) Bonifacio and with Cristian Guzman signed, with (Ian) Desmond and Smiley (Gonzalez) coming, we feel like we've really stabilized our middle infield for the short-term as well as the long term. It was tough to trade Jhonny Nunez; he's one of my personal favorites. We acquired him in the Marlon Anderson trade (in 2006); I think Nunez will be a seventh-inning set-up guy down the road. I really like him. It was hard to do, but at the end of the day, I was convinced -- because all of our baseball people unanimously felt that Gonzalez was an everyday shortstop. Not just an extra player.

Q: Is he coming here because you're going to play Guzman on the DL?

I don't think that Cristian needs to go on the DL. We do think, according to Lee Kuntz, that he's 3-5 days away. So Gonzalez is gonna come up here and will report later tonight and he'll be here tomorrow.

Q: Were you looking for a first baseman throughout the day?

It's interesting, because what we accomplished the most at the trade deadline is beginning trade discussions for the offseason. There are some clubs in the pennant race that we had good discussions with but at the end they couldn't make moves because to trade those major league players would affect their season this year, and they have interest in continuing those discussions in October. We came a long way on those discussions. We feel pleased that we have some things going for October that we plan on discussing.

Q: Was there any legitimacy to talk about trading John Lannan to the White Sox?

I never had a discussion with the White Sox regarding John Lannan or Joel Hanrahan. When it was reported by ESPN... Kenny Williams sent me an e-mail, and his e-mail said, "I heard I'm getting Lannan. Can you just fill me in on what I gave up for him." So I said, "Just Quentin, Dye and a couple pitchers." There's no truth to any of that. We know what we're doing here. We're building for the long term. We've been consistent with that. So we weren't talking about trading our young players. Unless we're looking for other young players.

Q: How will this affect playing time of other young players?

We'll clarify that tomorrow or the next day, not right now.

Q: What about the offensive potential of Gonzalez, Bonifacio?

We think Gonzalez has a chance to be a solid .250, .260 hitter that can really play shortstop. Plus-plus defense, plus arm. Bonifacio we think will develop into a lead-off hitter in the major leagues that steals 40 bases. Bonifacio right now is a very exciting defensive second baseman, great speed, tremendous range, can turn a double play. You know, immediately help us. ...

Q: Can you honestly go into the 2009 season with just Dmitri Young and Nick Johnson as your first basemen?

Well, obviously you're concerned when they're injured. The doctors will certainly assure us that both will be healthy and 100 percent next year. But we've heard that before. You never get enough talent. All of those (here) are watching with great interest Chris Marrero's ankle as he comes back, because he was really starting to get hot. The whole world is asking us about Bill Rhinehart, who continues to hit .300 with 15 home runs, and everywhere you put him he just keeps hitting .300. ... Certainly we have some guys coming in our system; certainly we are always looking for impact bats in trades. There wasn't a discussion we had with a team where we weren't looking for one of their best young hitters, preferably a left-handed hitter. At what position wasn't as important as, How can we get middle-of-the-order bats? Every trade we've been working on is trying to accomplish that.

Q: How is this going to affect Felipe?

No comment.

Q: Jim, 2006 you made some serious trades after the deadline. Do you think you can do it this year considering your veterans are not having good years?

I think it's possible. I wouldn't say we have a large number of players that are going to have a market value. But certainly there are one or two players on this team that are a potential August 30 deal, yes. You know, but we talked about a couple of our players with other teams all the way up til 3:50 this afternoon. We just came to the decision, We don't want to give anybody away. That didn't make sense. We need to get a piece back that was helpful, that had a chance to help us in the big leagues someday. Those kind of deals made sense to us. But to give somebody away to a contending team and not get talent back? That didn't make sense.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 31, 2008; 6:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Felipe Lopez's future
Next: Zimmerman does not have a broken hand

Comments

They should hold onto FLop until after the playoff rosters have been set. He gave us nothing, why set him free to join another team?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

. . . Bowden sounded pretty reasonable. Almost human, even.

Great reporting, Chico -- must have been a crazy afternoon.

Posted by: I never thought I'd say this but . . . | July 31, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

What a weasel. He reminds me of that shyster character, Nathan Thurm, played by Martin Short on Saturday Night Live. Always ofuscating, never giving straight or honest answers.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 31, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Looks like there's another writer over at nationals.com. Already he's better than Ladson, he spelled everything correctly and used discernible prose.

We'll see if he's a lapdog later I guess...

Posted by: NattyDelite! | July 31, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Q: How is this going to affect Felipe?

No comment.
------------------------
Q: What are you going to do about Cordero?

We're gonna dump him like a used rag.
------------------------
Why protect Flippy but not Cordero's feelings?

Posted by: SF Fan | July 31, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"Q: How is this going to affect Felipe?"

"No comment."
----------------------------------------

He said too much! He said too much!! Rabble, rabble, rabble!!!

Posted by: Angr E. Crowd | July 31, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I might be too easy to please, but I wanted to see some measure of progress today. Jhonny Nunez was a Bowden acquisition, and he flipped him, as well. I could even see Marlon Anderson for Alberto Gonzalez right now.

I still have little faith left in Bowden. Why would I have any? However, the team has obtained a few kids to play on the major league team now. If they manage to sign the draft picks, too, I might find myself mollified against my will.

It would still be good to promote Rizzo in the off-season.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | July 31, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I'll say it again, Hair Dye Bowden must go.

Posted by: Stro | July 31, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

@AEC: Good for a giggle on my end.
@SFFan: The reason for the difference in comments between the radio comment on the Chief & the WaPo comment on FLop - maybe 'cause he got a chunk taken out of his heinie by Stan & the Lerners after the former?

Posted by: BIM | July 31, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

We should have dealt Lannan when we could have.

(kidding)

Posted by: Lannan's getting shelled | July 31, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Lannan is on the way to another "quality start" loss. **Sigh**

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 31, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

That's stringing some hits together!! Sure, one was hit by pitch...

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 31, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

So is Zimmerman hurting? What happened?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 31, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

This is not looking good...not good at all.

Posted by: Nooooo | July 31, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

It's looking more and more like a movie night. The play by Flores was just idiotic. The following play was either the most perfect bunt or three players were out of position in covering it. (Pet peeve #1: Why does MASN continue talking in the interview while important action is taking place on field?)

Posted by: Dale | July 31, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

This team needs some kind of "new age" adjustments to get into alignment - Good hit, no SP, or no BP; Good SP - no hit or no BP; Good BP, no hit & no SP. Can someone come in & give us a reading? Bad team chachra, Lousy shung fei on the ballpark, crappy astrology, what? Somebody throw me a biscuit, I'm starving out here!

Posted by: BIM | July 31, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Im not holdin back ok? Im not playin and sittin back here in the club n watchin on tv cause acta not gonna play me. Im tired of u peoples talkin bout me all the time. I cant wait to get the hell out of DC to a real team so hell wit u all.

Posted by: Felipe | July 31, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for getting the scoop, Chico.

Posted by: CharlottesvilleNat | July 31, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Felipe

Firstly, your parents spelt your name wrong when you were born. Correct it. Secondly, your last sentence is something all of DC can get behind!

Posted by: Au Revoir | July 31, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

So --- The PlanTM means getting young one-dimensional players? Good field, average hit? We're WAITING for this? We can't this kind of player NOW?

The only team I can recall that one with a one-dimensional player was the Mark Belanger O's. He was the ONE good-filed, no-hit player. I'm sure there are others, I can't recall them. It's hard to beat nine with your eight and a half.

By the way (a) the only organization that rates Gonzalez above average is the Nats (yay?) (b) what does JimBo have against pitchers? I thought we were trying to ADD 22 year olds who struck out a batter an inning? Did a pitcher steal his lunch money when he was a kid?

Thank God I'm not invested in this train wreck of a team.

Posted by: gbooksdc | July 31, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

It must be late. Try again:

So --- The PlanTM means getting young one-dimensional players? Good field, average hit? We're WAITING for this? We can't get this kind of player NOW?

The only team I can recall that won with a one-dimensional player was the Mark Belanger O's. He was the ONE good-field, no-hit player. I'm sure there are others, I can't recall them. It's hard to beat nine with your eight and a half.

Thank God I'm not invested in this train wreck of a team.

Posted by: gbooksdc | July 31, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

chris marrero!chris marrero!chris marrero!

Posted by: nate | August 8, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse