With the jinx no longer in play...

I'll mention that Collin Balester, in his major league debut, didn't allow a hit until the fifth inning.

Right now, the Nats lead 2-0. An Elijah Dukes solo home run provided the lead. A little unlikely bat work from Paul Lo Duca and Felipe Lopez -- one doubled, one singled -- in the fifth gave Washington its second run.

Balester is looking sharp. He's fearless, throwing his fastball inside. He's hitting the corners. He's overcome errors. At one point, he set down 10 in a row.

Let's see if those comments jinx him, too.

His pitch count is in the mid-70s right now.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 1, 2008; 8:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Health news, and not altogether bad
Next: Chat reminder

Comments

Your comments won't jinx him but Felipe Lopez might. How about a little agressive on the play at the plate? You don't have to clobber the catcher but at least try to slide around him. And then on the popup, how about hustling out there to be ready to make a throw home? He's gotta go.

Posted by: baltova | July 1, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

RBI single aside, thanks for slowing up as you approached the plate FLop. Oh, and thanks also for appearing surprised that the runner tagged at third when you went out to catch that flair to shallow right. Way to not prepare to throw and lob it in off-line so that the Marlins could sneak in a run.

Great attitude, great hustle, great preparation and concentration, FLop.

Posted by: GP | July 1, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Can't blame Lopez for either of those, IMO.

Bases loaded, no out, lets please make something of this.

Dukes, btw, is locked in.

Posted by: Jason | July 1, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

BELLIARD!!!! GRAND SLAM!!!!

Posted by: Jason | July 1, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Our bats have come alive in Florida...

Posted by: Jason | July 1, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Does Lopez have naked photos of Acta? He is one lazy SOB. There is no way in the world that a major league player should not be alert for someone tagging at third on a play handled by the second baseman. He belongs at Harrisburg or on some other team that needs an idiot.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

..shudder..

Posted by: mrm0to | July 1, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

can someone please buy the tom emanski baserunning video for flop?

Posted by: natsscribe | July 1, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Wait, was Jim Bowden sleeping? Awesome.

Posted by: mrm0to | July 1, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Felipe:

Your objective as #8 hitter with 2 out is to reach base SAFELY so the pitcher gets up. Good grief Charlie Brown! The man has NO baseball sense.

Posted by: NatMan | July 1, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Umm... Agree with mrm0to. Can we stop it with mentions of naked Acta photos. I like hte man and all, but that brings up disturbing images.

Posted by: SF Fan | July 1, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

"Let's see if those comments jinx him, too."

Looks like they did... all those walks and out after five...

It's a shame, too, cause I was really loving watching him pitch :)

Posted by: Collin fan | July 1, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

DAGGGERRR!!!!!

Has anyone else noticed how Florida has totally ripped off our 3rd base coach hand off on HRs?

Posted by: Jason | July 1, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

..gulp..

Posted by: mrm0to | July 1, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Apologize if this has been discussed already and I missed it:
Watching the Nats, switching over to MASN1 during breaks (even O's baseball is better than the same Southwest airline commercial over and over and over and over again) - and I noticed that, and I'm sorry I don't know the official name for it, on the on-screen score bar (showing score, men on base indicator, inning, bat count and outs from left to right); when the bat count flashes over to pitch speed with each pitch, the O's telecast on MASN1 also shows a pitch type. So you're looking at |2-1|2 outs| and it flashes over to |88mph|Slider|
So how come I've never seen this before during a Nats game? Is this something brand new and not available on MASN2 just yet - or have people noticed this before on MASN1 or MASN2 for O's games before?

Posted by: AJ | July 1, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm really confused. Is O's Exec posting as his own conscience? My head hurts.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 1, 2008 6:22 PM

======================================

By now you should be able to tell the difference between my posts and those who post as fake me's.

Posted by: O's Exec | July 1, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I will admit that I am on my fourth beer but am I hearing things? At least three times I have heard either Carpenter or Sutton say the same word twice in a sentence like a record that is stuck. The picture is fine and doesn't freeze but their voices do. Am I going nuts?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I have viewed many hot singles' videos and photos at a club---------- ++++++ u k i n t e r r a c i a l m a t c h . c o m +++++++ --------- where many black and white singles who are seeking for ideal match seriously...

Posted by: kelly | July 1, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was interesting listening to Sutton & Carpenter talk about how Lopez could have taken fewer steps when the run scored. Why do people listen to Sutton talking about how someone should field a baseball?

Posted by: Ed | July 1, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 9:45 PM

==========================================

4 beers? Talk about lightweight.

Posted by: O's Exec | July 1, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I also like how now on the blog someone is advertising for adult "dating" sites.

What's wrong with U.S. interracial singles mysterious dating site poster?

Posted by: O's Exec | July 1, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Good choice to go easy tonight. Not much to gain...they're winning, we already won. I really, really wish their vaunted top pitching prospect had gotten rocked tonight.

Looks like I've earned back some goodwill with them. Play it nice, with some light-hearted teasing and joking. That'll give me some time until I decide to blow it up again. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Posted by: O's Exec's Conscience | July 1, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

he/she said it's interracial, but he/she didn't say if it was intersexual...

Posted by: 231 | July 1, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

No, but we do. Just leave a credit card and your address.
------------

Does Lopez have naked photos of Acta?

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 8:49 PM

Posted by: Molly, Kelly, and alice | July 1, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

We're not playing half bad lately...

Posted by: Jason | July 1, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, that was fake Molly, kelly, and alice! where can a girl from the UK go to post . . .

Posted by: Molly, Kelly, and alice | July 1, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

finally....Y E S

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 1, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Atta boys!! Great game. Had me sweating a couple of times. Lots of clutch hits. Lots of hits period. Now those are the Nats I know and love.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 1, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

The Marlins are harder to kill than roaches. They just keep coming until they make 27 outs.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 1, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

The pitch type on the O's has been like that all season. Angelos' prejudices.

Posted by: Mary | July 1, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

How'd you do?

Score: 9-2
Half credit for getting one number right

Stolen bases: Florida gets 3
X, Florida gets 1

Errors at 2nd: 1
X, E6 and E9 (Lopez and Guzzie are now tied for most errors, which makes sense, since they get the ball most)

Strikeouts by Fatass: 2
X, WMP, 0 for 3, K

Strikeouts by the King of all Flop: 1
X, Lopez, 3 for 4, 2 RBI

Popups by the King of all Flop: 1
WW, I missed how he got his out

GIDP by the King of all Flop: 1
X, no GIDPs

So either .5 or 1.5. At the best your .214, better call for yourself to be fired!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 1, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Honestly would not mind seeing FLop's pictures of a naked Manny Acta.

Posted by: Molly, Kelly, Alice & Emma | July 2, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

506-

Awesome! Actually, I have to eat crow for the way Flop hit tonight. Kudos for his accomplishments despite two bonehead baserunning plays and an aloofness on his throw home.

Can I get some credit for Pena though? Acta stole my opportunity to be correct when he yanked him out the lineup with the bases juiced!

Posted by: Natsman | July 2, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

what a great night for the nats future. balester looked very sharp at times (10 straight set down). and dukes is settling into that 3 spot nicely. very inspiring for me too see potential turning into success, at least in some small measures.

by the way the gamer should be titled "nats beat ramirez" he does it all by himself

Posted by: love | July 2, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

How do you pronounce Balester? I just watched Sportscenter (they actually showed highlights from the game!) and the guy pronounced it 'Bale'(rhymes with 'pale')-'ster.'

Posted by: John | July 2, 2008 2:12 AM | Report abuse

A high scoring affair! Belli Buster night at the Balester Family Reunion! A white knuckle win for a cool summer morning in the Nats' home town! AND THE"Y PLAY AGAIN AT NOON! Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaah! In Dulci Jubilo! We sing with hearts aglow!

Posted by: flynnie | July 2, 2008 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha, Natsman, doesn't it feel great to be wrong? I was so delighted when I was wrong about Nick Johnson earlier this year, until I was right again.

We'll just overlook your impending accuracy on Pena, because the win felt too good. You missed predicting Ayala giving up a handful, though. Shhh, we'll overlook that too. A win is a win is a win.

Thoughts on Balestar? I give him a thumbs up. It actually reminded me of the debut of another certain young pitcher last year against the Mets who bumped along for a full season before suddenly turning into a genius. Could we have two, please?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | July 2, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: N@sfan | July 2, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

In honor of Chad going on the DL, Rausch has been giving us his best Cordero imitation. Putting two on in the bottom of the ninth was nothing if not reminiscent of all those times Chad made it more exciting than he had to.

Posted by: Art in Olney | July 2, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Inappropriate punctuation is one indicator:

Posted by: NR Grammar Lady | July 2, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Late to post but that was an exciting game to listen to last night. My six-word gamer headline would be: Dude, you're gonna get a win.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 2, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse