Against the best

Even before yesterday's game, we knew that the Nationals struggle with dominant pitchers. There's no real shame in that, of course; pitchers prove dominance not just by reliably beating a few teams, but by reliably beating most teams. Still, the Nationals fall more easily than most. They fall almost automatically.

At one point before the Nationals tried their luck against Rich Harden, hitting coach Lenny Harris received a small stack of white CDs -- video of the three pitchers Washington will face in its next series against Los Angeles.

Derek Lowe.

Greg Maddux.

Clayton Kershaw.

"It's the money men from now on," Harris said. "These guys are paid to shut us out."

Money men, at least as Harris explained it, are the kind of pitchers good teams throw at you during a stretch run. CC Sabathia is a money man. Rich Harden is a money man. Harden finished yesterday's game with one of the dominant pitching lines of the year:

7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 11 K.

There it is. Contemporary pitching excellence. Put a frame around it, find wallspace in the Guggenheim.

Harden's dominance against the Nats further emphasized a point, perhaps unnecessarily, that money men absolutely earn their wages on days when they face Washington. Since the all-star break, the Nats have beaten two starting pitchers with winning records. (Jair Jurrjens of Atlanta and Aaron Cook of Colorado.)

This morning, I tried to plug through the statistical abyss for a way to calculate Washington's success rate against "top starters" -- however arbitrarily you want to define that. I settled on this. I sorted through the Nats' record when facing starters who have 1.) an ERA of 4.00 or less, and 2.) more than 75 innings pitched this season. (I'd provide more elaborate numbers here, like team avg. and slugging, but everything below had to be hand-calculated.)

Anyway, that produces a list of 33 pitchers. Among them: Tim Hudson, Matt Cain, Johan Santana, Brandon Webb, Cook, Dan Haren, Oliver Perez, Carlos Zambrano and Adam Wainwright.

Against that group, the Nats have an 8-33 record.

The pitchers on that list that Washington has beaten? Cook, Mike Pelfrey, Oliver Perez, Jeremy Guthrie, Cole Hamels, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jurrjens, and Paul Maholm.

The 33 pitchers meeting the aforementioned qualifications have pitched a combined 359-2/3 innings this year against the Nats. The combined ERA: 2.28.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 25, 2008; 7:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rebuilding the bullpen
Next: About three things

Comments

Chico, I think you are making this worse on yourself. Can't you just plod through the rest of season in mindless fashion like the rest of us?

Posted by: CajunD | August 25, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

So does this mean we suck?

I'm guessing our on base average is particularly weak against these pitchers. One reason guys like Milledge and Zimmerman do not have more RBI this year is that no one is ever on base. This causes two problems: 1)they don't get good pitches, and 2) you can't knock anyone in.

Not that Milledge and Zimmerman are particularly patient themselves. Zimmerman has completely forgotten how to work the count. Take a pitch occasionally. If not for yourself, then for the guys batting behind you.

Posted by: NatBisquit | August 25, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

Nice work,

Now how about the other 100 pitchers we've faced.

Get to work!!!

Posted by: junkbucket | August 25, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Ok -- the facts. Now - if we ever want to be any more successful than we are right now don't we need to learn to hit these guys?? Hate to join the broken record but don't we need a really good instructional hitting coach? What would our record be like if we had been able to hit some of these guys? Another question for Chico -- who has the high batting averages against the elite pitchers? Bet we can guess by looking at the top of the standings. It's sad that I have gotten to the point where I am satisfied to have taken one game each from the Phils and Cubs.

Posted by: masnstinks | August 25, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Some praise is drifting back for one Nats pitcher. The Cubs blog "Bleed Cubbie Blue" mentioned Lannan in yesterday's gamer:

"Incidentally, I'll give one bit of praise to one of the Nats -- John Lannan, the winner on Friday despite giving the Cubs five runs when the Cubs' bullpen collapsed. The Cubs didn't take BP any of the three days and the Nats loafed onto the field for a rather low-key BP session. But on both Saturday and Sunday, Lannan was the first Nat on the field, running laps in the outfield. He's got talent and obviously works hard, and at age 24 next month he might be someone that the Cubs could put their eye on to acquire for next year's rotation."

If only the Cubs had some kind of low hitting scrappy speedster to add to the Bowden collection...

Posted by: Cubs/Nats Hybrid Fan | August 25, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

C/N Hybrid:

Problem for that potential trade - While they have many speedy guys, unfortunately, all of the Cubs starting players are currently hitting better than .280. Those hitters are far too adept to fit in here.

Posted by: faNATic | August 25, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Chico - if you're going to fan the flames, at least give us comparative data (i.e., Nats' pitching breakdowns against said pitchers). Were these games lost by the starters, the bullpen, were the hitters overmatched?

Posted by: BIM | August 25, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Managing a network is like managing a baseball team, you need speed to win." - Ryan Zimmerman, Third Baseman

-----

Did Ryan become a network engineer while on the DL? Is Ryan even capable of managing a baseball team? For that matter, how would we know that Ryan knows what it takes to win?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"The Nats loafed onto the field for a rather low-key BP session"

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

is now 30 with both San Diego and Seattle. Any combination of Nationals losses and Padres/Mariners win that sum up to 30 will guarantee the #1 overall pick in 2009.

Posted by: Washington's "Tragic" Number | August 25, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind so much getting shutout by the likes of CC Sabathia. What I hate is that the Nats seem to be just what the doctor ordered for struggling pitchers with high ERAs - like Brett Myers, Barry Zito. Now that would be an interesting statistical analysis.

Posted by: CoachD | August 25, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

While I agree with BIM i'd would have appreciated more of a breakdown. Esp. when figuring is that record just against the starters or in games where they started. For instance opening day Hudson started but the bullpen blew it. I see Hudson's name not mentioned among the pitchers we beat but are you still using his ERA ect.? I honestly feel like we should look at those numbers both ways, Hudson def. shut down the Nats well enough for the Braves to win that night luckfully he couldnt go the whole way since it was Opening day.

But I think to answer BIM question, it was almost always a failure of the hitters. I mean we are statistcially at the bottom in just about every offensive category. Also Chico does mention the ERA in those 41 games is 2.28, so i feel pretty confident in saying that hitting is the problem.

Posted by: Steveo | August 25, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Zimm was looked lousy yesterday and has basically been a singles hitter since he returned from the DL. Chico, any status on whether his shoulder is still bothering him?

Posted by: 756* | August 25, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BIM | August 25, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Nice work Chico.

It seems to me that step one is for the Nats to consistently hit mediocre and poor pitching. Step 2 is to hit good pitching.

Your data dive shows how far they are from step 2. The overall stats we see day to day make us all aware of how far the Nats are from step 1.

Posted by: Cabraman | August 25, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"756 - I think it's still the hamate problem. When he had the surgery, someone mentioned it would probably take a full year to get his "power stroke" back.

Posted by: BIM | August 25, 2008 10:51 AM "

But that wouldn't explain why he hasn't hit a homer since May when he was able to hit eight before then.

Posted by: bet he wishes he'd signed that contract now | August 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

When I say "singles hitter", I actually meant hitter of ground balls which occasionally make it through the infield. Look at the Cubs on Saturday.

It just concerns me. The season, for all intents and purposes, is over, so Zimm might as well have shoulder surgery now and rehab for next year (instead of playing injured, if indeed that is the case).

Posted by: 756* | August 25, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris | August 25, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Nats Fans,

I broke down the video of Lowe, Maddox, and Kershaw. After countless minutes I have found the answer to the riddle that its the Dodgers picthing staff. Ready?

Go the other way.

Lenny Harris

Posted by: Lenny Harris | August 25, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Willie Harris fake mom | August 25, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

"Right, 756. If we're going to contend for the Wild Card next year, we're going to need a fully healthy Zimmerman.

Posted by: Chris | August 25, 2008 11:11 AM "

And which team will the Nationals be trading Zimmerman to so that this comment could actually be in touch with some concept of reality?

Posted by: most other good teams already have a third baseman, don't they? | August 25, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

But wait, there's more:

Posted by: mom | August 25, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Chico,
Good gamer today, and I enjoyed the post. I shorter study might be, which starting pitchers we beat, and how they fare against the rest of the league.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 25, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

why doesnt zim have more rbi? Because he's a glorified singles hitter. Kids still had a month of school left the last time he has even homered

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Read in SI today and article by Jon Hayman, which concerned Jimbo and our recent #1 draft pick. It says that after the draft, Jimbo didn't contact the Crow family for over a month. Don't know what is true, and which story/side you believe. I DO know we are all tired of re-hashing this over and over. It just shows JImbo is a loose cannon. Whatever he is, he needs to project class in all his dealings with the public in general.(media, fans, draftees, etc) He is none of these, and is just a problem for the franchise. When you are in a position that we are (like an expansion team), you need to do it better, faster, more thoroughly, more professionally than anyone else to get better. Like many of you have stated, we will not get better until he is gone. He is bad PR for the franchise. An embarassment. We should say thank you for your time here, and move on to Rizzo, or someone else with the ability to open his mouth at the appropriate time, without putting his foot in it! I try to keep an open mind, and keep my eye on the long term without getting mired in the rut of frustration andn losing. It is difficult when we keep stubbing our toes because they are attached to Jimbo's foot, which is a permanent addition to his mouth. Thank you for allowing me this soapbox!

Posted by: 307 | August 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"I DO know we are all tired of re-hashing this over and over."

Posted by: yet tired as you are, you soldier on with more rehashing | August 25, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yoink! | August 25, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

...taking soapbox away...

Posted by: yoink! | August 25, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I knew it would happen. But it does constitute a new low for the Nats. The Nationals' ad in today's Post for the upcoming LA series uses Manny Ramirez as the main draw.

Like I said, inevitable. But shame on you Lerners. If I wanted to be a fan of such a team, I would've just bought a 20-pack to the Os instead.

Posted by: Softball Girl | August 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Lenny Harris' problem is that he has a lack of viable talent to teach. Give the man something worthwhile to work with and he'd have more success. Hamburger isn't steak.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | August 25, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"The Nationals' ad in today's Post for the upcoming LA series uses Manny Ramirez as the main draw."

The Nats are the new Bullets. Look for Wes Unseld to be hired to replace Bowden.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

such a team? The Os are much better to watch than the nats. They actually score runs

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Cat Daddy,
That may be the thinking but it doesn't seem to be working very well.
My feeling is that the pitcher makes big bucks to pitch and the manager makes big bucks to win. They are doinng neither. I don't take a pitcher out if he is cruising.

Posted by: Jerry Soriano |

There may be stats somewhere, but I couldn't find them, on relief pitcher effectiveness in their second inning of work. It's all about the situation and the individual, of course, and probably too much to go into here. When the concept of a closer (as opposed to a stopper) developed, the setup guys and their one inning of use followed. And managers, using this formula, had an easier time of keeping their jobs.

Posted by: cat daddy | August 25, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

To quote Snoop Dogg, "Guess who's back in the mother f#%$ing house......"

I know you all have missed me during my month long absense of globe-trotting adventures. I'm sure you all are curious to hear.

I was in Amsterdam for a few weeks and all I can say is that the Red Light District just isn't the same as it once was.

Than I flew home to go cage-diving with great white sharks off the coast of Mexico. I'd highly recommend everyone do this.

Than I flew back to Maryland where I hung out with friends/family and also attended a few baseball games. I actually went to a Nats game at the new Nats stadium (a very nice stadium, by the way) but of course the Nats lost. I also went to Camden Yards, where low-and-behold, I saw the O's win.

So, now that I'm back lets take a look at the standings. The O's are still pretty much where they were before I left, a few games under .500. They traded one of their best bullpen arms to Tampa for the infamous PTBNL.

Meanwhile, the Nats, wow, the Nats are now closer to 40 games under .500. Yikes, when I made a joke about the Nats being 40 games under .500 back in July I really didn't think it'd come to reality.

Even when the O's were at their worst (not that long ago) they finished at 35 games under .500

Anyone think the Nats may finish 45-50 games under .500?

Great-googa-mooga Nats fans. But everything will be better next year, right Nats fans? Since the Nats will definitely sign Mark Teixeira. hahahahaha

But hey, on the plus side Redskins season is gearing up. Go 'Skins!

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

speaking of goats' kin

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Where did the BPG forum go? I know it was nearing its end, but I thought it was possibly being rescued.

Posted by: Question | August 25, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

No worries though, the O's are getting some of these losses out of the way now (you can't win 'em all, Nats fans know that for sure) so they can make a real good run post-All Star break. They're going to rocket up the AL East standings like a Patriot missile.

Posted by: O's Exec | July 11, 2008 12:57 PM

Oh good, you're back. I've been wanting to ask you about how that whole rocketing up the AL East standings thing worked out?

Posted by: Nats Exec | August 25, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: O's Exec | July 11, 2008 12:57 PM

Posted by: Nats Exec | August 25, 2008 1:35 PM
=================================

The O's are still in the thick of things, just getting ready to gear up for their big assention up the AL East standing. It all starts tonight.

Now, let me ask, how's it going with the Nats sky-rocketing DOWN the NL East standings?

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris could make O's Exec funny.

Posted by: Willie Harris Facts | August 25, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I see, and the recent sweep by the Yanks was all part of The O's "Assention" Plan?

I was also wondering how Loewen's been doing. If I recall correctly, you mentioned him as a Cy Young candidate last spring.

Posted by: Nats Exec | August 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I could make Willie Harris look like nothing more than a AA-player.

Oh wait, he is, yet he's on the Nats roster.

Yikes!

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

That made zero sense and, worse yet, wasn't funny. Try again.

Posted by: Sorry | August 25, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

While I was at OPACY twice this weekend (attended once to root against EE#1, dumped my tix the other), I can assure you I am not on your team.

The Nats do not fade. They cellar-dwell. Welcome, O's Exec.

Posted by: PTBNL | August 25, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats Exec | August 25, 2008 1:49 PM

--------------

Adam Loewen will make Rick Ankiel look like Willie Harris.

Boo-Yah

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

re: Lenny Harris not having any talent to work with -- I beg to differ - there is definitely potential there. And anyway - success is only 10 % talent, the rest is instruction and work. A good teacher can get the best out of his students. He may have been a great pinch hitter but does not seem to be able to teach hitting. Sometimes the most naturally talented people don't know how to teach what they do. I sincerely hope that the organization does something to resolve the hitting situation in the off- season.

Posted by: masnstinks | August 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 12:41 PM

----------

Other than my posts, this is by far the best post on here today.

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad I'm not a fan of that other Washington team....

Posted by: Lerners? Snyder is worse | August 25, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"I DO know we are all tired of re-hashing this over and over."

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling/419+1 is an assho1e even when he posts | August 25, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

In that case, Loewen may want to look up Ankiel's* doc to pick up some HGH. Or did you mean to say Lenny Harris?

"Adam Loewen will make Rick Ankiel look like Willie Harris."

Posted by: Nats Exec | August 25, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Given our inept offense, hard to believe the scout who said the bullpen was the weak link. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Posted by: Geezer | August 25, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

bowden didnt contact his first round pick within a month of drafting him? WHAT? Did he think they'd go contact him? NO.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Ok, enough baseball talk... Chico, who are the best golfers on the team?

Posted by: natrat | August 25, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

bo-ring

Posted by: golf = | August 25, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Translation...He was in jail on possession charges and I just now decided to post his bail...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: O's Exec Mom | August 25, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Concerning Bowden not contacting Crow and agent in the month following the draft:
This would be disconcerting considering Bowden's expressed desire to sign draftees quickly and get them in the system.

But I guess it all depends on the definition of the word "contact"...

Posted by: 756* | August 25, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, forgot to ask, how'd that signing of the Nats first round draf pick turn out?

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Why do you ask, do you have an extra $9 million that you want to throw away? Speaking of draft picks, how's Adam Jones doing? Oh, that's right, he was bitten by that injury bug that you gloated about the O's having avoided this year. How's that going?

Posted by: Nats Exec | August 25, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats Exec | August 25, 2008 4:23
-----

Well, for 1 Adam Jones was never a draft pick by the O's.

But if you want to talk about draft picks in the O's organization, lets talk about Matt Wieters who is already better than probably 3/4 of the players on the Nats MLB roster.

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec,

You are somewhat confused. The Nats and Orioles have different goals this season. We are currently in a race for the #1 draft pick of which we hold a narrow lead. Your team, once again is in pursuit of fourth place in your own division. If we are successful we will obtain a once in a generation pitcher. If you are successful you will obtain your usual mediocrity.

Posted by: Dale | August 25, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Stop feeding him. He's not funny and gets off on the attention. It's an absolute shock his comedy career failed.

Posted by: Stop | August 25, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Dale but the O's future is already leaps and bounds brighter than that of the Nats.

If you're hoping to build through years and years of #1 picks than the Nats won't be competitive for around 15 years or so. Or however long it took Tampa to finally be competitive after years and years of #1 draft picks.

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention, Dale, that there are lots of high draft picks that completely flop.

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Darnell McDonald, Rick Elder, Mamon Tucker, Mike Paradis, Rich Stahl, Keith Reed, Beau Hale, Tripper Johnson, Chris Smith, Adam Loewen, Wade Townsend, Brandon Snyder, & Billy Rowell

Posted by: Lots of high draft picks that completely fail | August 25, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, O's Exec, and just how "competitive" is your team at the moment? To answer this rhetorical question, you are 13.5 games out of wild card contention with scarcely one month of play left. I think that you may only sniff "mediocrity" before you will once again sink back into the hope-sucking ooze that is your fate in Baltimore.

Posted by: Dale | August 25, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I would defer to O's Exec on this one, as he has many more years of experience with high draft picks than I do.

Posted by: Nats Exec | August 25, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

... and with seven teams ahead.

Posted by: AL wild card | August 25, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Stop feeding him.

Posted by: Again | August 25, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Go to

BPG is down until at least the 31st. Jeff says it'll possibly have more options on it too. Not sure whether he wants donations or not, but the latest was that he wasn't asking for any.

Man I wish I was 08 Cubs

Posted by: Brue | August 25, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

You guys really want to pull out the "where is your team in the wild card standings?"

Sure, I can play that game too. Let's see (flipping through the newspaper)...

Oh it looks like the Nats are THIRTY (thats 30) games out of the wild card

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Wow, I'd never thought that I'd have to go there, but there ya go.

But to say it again....

NATS = 30 GAMES OUT OF WILD CARD AND 39 GAMES UNDER .500

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec,

It just goes to show that you do not see the logic. We are in a race for the number 1 draft position. Who cares if we are 20 or 50 games out of wild card contention? We don't care. We just want the number 1 draft spot. So your braying laughter rings hollow. Actually, it is rather pitiful since your season will end with you looking up at 4 teams ahead of you in your division and nothing else to show for such a lousy effort.

Posted by: Dale | August 25, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

You keep telling yourself Dale. You think the Yankees or Red Sox go 1/2 way through their seasons are looking at where they'll draft?

Talk about some backwards logic.

Posted by: O's Exec | August 25, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

masnstinks, ol' bear, with all due respect, that's the dumbest thing on this page today (no small trick under the circumstances).
If success were 10% talent, 90% instruction and work, *I*'d be playing in Wrigley. Michael Jordan would've gotten past AA (and into it on more than his name and a new bus he bought them). You think all those guys Phelps beat were lazy and stupid?
Hard work and instruction matter, sure, but you can't make silk poster out of a trOll's ear.
************
Posted by: masnstinks | August 25, 2008 1:57 PM

Posted by: ce | August 25, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec,

The Yanks, Red Sox and unfortunately yourself start the season thinking that they will be in the playoffs. The Yanks and Red Sox are not delusional. They have the talent and financial resources to make it a logical bet that they will have a good shot at post season play. The Nats never even pretended to be in this elite group. So, logically, if you do not intend to be in the playoffs this year what is the best position to be in? The most advantageous position is obvious to all but the most dense--to wind up in the position that gives you the best chance to upgrade personell. The Nats, by finishing first in the race for the number 1 draft pick are moving quite nicely along that path. As a matter of fact if your team continues along its inevitable path of mediocrity we will have two draft picks before you next year!

Posted by: Dale | August 25, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

STOP FEEDING HIM. HOW HARD IS IT?

Posted by: STOP | August 25, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Stop saying stop.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 25, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Colorado Rockies general manager Dan O’Dowd has reportedly told outfielder Willy Taveras that he may be traded soon, with the most likely destination being an unaffiliated minor league club, the Washington Nationals.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play for big league clubs, and I have that with the Rockies,” a disappointed Taveras told reporters this morning. I don’t feel like I need more time in the minors, especially with a double-A team like the Nationals.”

“The move makes sense for us,” Nats’ GM Jim Bowden said in an interview with SSNN. “Lastings Milledge wants to move to left, field because he wants the cameras to be able to focus on his ‘good side,’ and we’re not going to re-up our contract with Elijah Dukes‘ babysitter, so he may be gone. We really need a legit center fielder… Or at least a guy we can stick out there who can approximate the caliber of play we’re getting elsewhere.”

“His low RBI totals and lack of power should fit nicely into our lineup,” Bowden went on. “His batting average recently crept above .260, but we don’t anticipate that being an issue once he’s got Austin Kearns behind him instead of Matt Holliday. He does steal a lot of bases, so we’ll have to see what we can do about slowing him down a little. Then again, it’s hard to steal if you’re never on base, right?”

Posted by: serioussportsnewsnetwork.com | August 25, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Folks...DFTT...ignore, ignore, ignore. Repeat as often as necessary to keep from hitting submit button!

Posted by: steve | August 25, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

You know, it's just a harmless verbal sparring between the two of us. Those of you whose sole purpose is to contribute by saying "STOP" or whatever can go on contributing in any witty manner that you chose. However, I do find O's Exec's audacity and over the top absurdity somewhat refreshing, much more so than STOP's monosyllabic musings.

Posted by: Dale | August 25, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this has been posted, but heres a recent audio blog interview with Aaron Crow:

Be cautious if you open the link at work. The interview is expletive free, however your reaction to the interview may not be.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 25, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

interesting...

"Rockies manager Clint Hurdle wants to see if Livan Hernandez fits into their plans for 2009. Hernandez has allowed a remarkable 224 hits in 152 innings - a rate that will rank second in baseball history if he can reach the 162 innings needed to qualify. Even Jose Lima can't make that claim.'

2nd most hits per innings in history (at least that's how i read it, not total hits)? wow.

Posted by: 231 | August 25, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

under the category of piling on....

paul farhi has a story on the website about how the nats are not only the least-watched team in MLB, but apparently are also the only team that draws more fans to its games than has radio kisteners. does the good news ever stop?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 25, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

...er, that should be radio LISTENERS....

Posted by: natsscribe | August 25, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

It will all be better in the new stadium.

Posted by: Lernersarecheap.com | August 26, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

That harmless verbal sparring you enjoy will only make 90% of the rest of us leave the blog. Glad it's worth it to you to "spar" with that functional retard who recycles the same unfunny material over and over and over again. Enjoy.

Posted by: Good job, Dale | August 26, 2008 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Los D:
I listened to the interview with Crow and came away with the following:

Crow didn't feel real warm and fuzzy over not being contacted by Bowden for over a month.

His ending comment about hoping the Nationals "just stay away" from him, would indicate to me that he took the lack of signing personally (As Michael Corleone said, this is business and not personal)

Much of his commentary seemed a bit canned and scripted.

Granted, I have never had a microphone placed in front of me, but this kid sounded like he took a few line drives off the noggin.

Posted by: TimDz | August 26, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse