An outage (and no, not a joke about Washington's offense)

Just arrived here at Coors Field. It's a long trip just to end up one mile higher than where you started. My apologies, again, for the blog inactivity today.

On that note, I have a matter of NJ housekeeping -- per instructions from Wash Post HQ.

Beginning tomorrow at noon EST, all Washington Post blogs, including this one, will experience a 27-hour outage. No live posts will be possible from noon tomorrow until 3 p.m. Wednesday. According to the Post's internal memo (listen... the lone bright spot in all this is that I get to feel all whistleblowerish and post an excerpt from an internal document) mentions that users who post comments during the outage will see the following message:

"Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately we are unable to accept comments at this time, due to planned system maintenance. We estimate that our maintenance should be complete by 3 p.m. ET on Aug. 6; please come back to comment at that time."

The outage is simply so the tech people have a little time to conduct some sorely needed technical upgrades.

So a few promises, in the meantime.

I'll keep the blog running through tonight's game, per usual.

I'll assuredly post once early tomorrow morning. I'll include some supplemental material to the longer story that will be running tomorrow.

That way, we can keep the dialogue running right up until closing time.

Oh, and in the meantime, check this out. No love for the Nats' odds from the computer simulation system.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 4, 2008; 5:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After the sweep...
Next: From Coors Field

Comments

That's one way for Emilio to muzzle us.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 4, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I was kinda hoping to finally have the leather pants make sense...

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | August 4, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

So the long arem of theChinese Olympic Internet Police is reaching the NJ blog too!

Posted by: Tom | August 4, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

according to a story on espn.com, the nationals are believed to be among a "handful" of MLB teams who are likely to have personnel implicated in the buscones investigation. has jimbow ordered his packing boxes?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 4, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the wiz kids behind the Commmodore 64 handle the WP's online maintenance. 27 hours? Thats alot of handcracks and mouse wheels to WD-40 I guess. Sheesh.

Lucky this is addressed before Brauchli takes office. He wouldnt allow this kinda thing from Tech Support.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 4, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

why couldn't the post do this during a time when nothing is happening - like during a redskins game in november?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 4, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Now that the Nats have found their SS of the future - what would it take for the O's or anyone else to trade for Guzman? I love Guzman though, would he be the Nats SS next year and give Gonzalez another year to develop? What are the plans there for the Nats at SS? We need one.

Posted by: Orioles' GM | August 4, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget, the Dodgers are looking for a long-term solution at SS and Joe Torre has always been partial to veteran players like Guzman.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 4, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

since i was newposted...

don't get carried away with guzman's offense. he's not that special. even belliard has outproduced him when you look at something beyond batting average. he has a higher OBP, SLG, and OPS than guzman. extrapolate out the number of ABs and he would have as many runs and more RBIs. and he'd have a stranglehold on his HR lead on the rest of the team. yes, ronnie belliard is the team leader in HRs. i'd rather see him at 1B than guzman.

==

i have a sneaking suspicion that the dodgers are going to resign furcal (pending medical reports). they've been a different team with him in the lineup offensively. if their medical reports are good, i suspect he'll be an offseason priority.

Posted by: 231 | August 4, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Ouch

I got new posted and those odds are depressing.

Posted by: Patty | August 4, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

ESPN is reporting that the Nats may be one of a half dozens teams implicated in the DR signing scandal. If this turns out to be true it will set back our efforts in that country. I would Kasten would start going first class with his operation. If this is true Bowden is done .

Posted by: mjames | August 4, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't play hopscotch on a freshly paved road with either Bowden or Rizzo, so maybe all y'all ought to tone down the rhetoric a bit. "Feelings often get run over when emotion takes its toll." Tolstoy.

Posted by: honda lover | August 4, 2008 5:02 PM

What does this mean? Can someone with some hopscotch experience explain this to me? because I have no clue. Does it somehow imply that Bowden and Rizzo are cheaters? I'm just not familiar enough with hopscotch to decipher some kind of meaning out of that sentence.

Posted by: Seeking clarity | August 4, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

jimbow took the kickbacks to buy more leather pants.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 4, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Excellent! I knew one day we would have the same number of posts as the Redskins blog!

In the meantime, we can convene for a single day on NFA or Nats 320, Federal Baseball, 3 Girls w/ Heart, Nationals Pride or Curly W. What is your preference? These folks are consistent in their devotion.

I am sure we would have been at Capitol Punishment, but Chris, just join us wherever.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Desperately seeking clarity: I have hopscotch experience, but I didn't get that one either.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Do I have to?

Posted by: Chris | August 4, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

My preference is to use the board over at Nats 320. His uber-optimism may rub off on a couple of the negative nellies around here. And we can also make fun of SBF's jorts.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 4, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

With the NJ comments section out, I can see the following happening:

Stan announces price hikes

JimBo announces he's traded for Adam Dunn, Chris Sabo and Barry Larkin

and the medical staff announces that Zimmerman requires amputation for his "slight" right hand contusion.

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | August 4, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Still catching up with reading after being away over the weekend, so I wanted to say that I thought Andrew did a great job when he filled in for Friday's gamer.

LDO, what's a jort? The thing that tends to chap my editorial hide at the site in question is the Abuse Of CAPS (the typographic approach, not the team). :)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

What a difference a defense makes! Oh yeah, that speed thing helps too. A light hitting team needs both plus solid pitching to keep games close. I hope Dukes gets back in tonight and bats cleanup. Kearns isn't driving the ball. His 3 for 5 yesterday was pretty weak -- all singles with a blooper and broken bat dunker sandwiched around 2 K's. Move off the plate Austin! His bad eye at the plate makes you wonder if he needs the laser surgery a'la Guzman.

Posted by: NatMan | August 4, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Chris- Hmm. It's not even like you made me beg. You are getting me to beg twice. Consider it "Old Timers' Day" for bloggers.

As for going on Nats320- I like the idea, but only if people play nice. There can't be more devoted fans than they are.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

How do you play hopscotch? There's an episode of Curious George where they play hopscotch, and I realized I really don't know how to play it. Neither does the missus.

Posted by: Scooter | August 4, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Scooter-

As I understand it here's how you play hopscotch:

1. Turn on the Wii.

2. Attatch control to your ankle (ack- what is the real word? I almost siad "joystick")

Anyway, it involves drawing the squares on the pavement, and tossing a pebble into the numbered squares in order, and I think picking it up after you hop through the series and back, except for the one with the stone.

I am not sure, because my brother and I and other boys in the neighborhood were playing "miracle catch" throwing baseball/football/frisbee into a yard which the other had to catch by diving into the grass to reach it. More glory there than picking up a pebble.

That, or winning a street touch footbal game 70-63. Funny, none of us let our kids play in the street anymore.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

it's called a "wiimote."

Posted by: 231 | August 4, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

See the link below for an illustrated, pre-Wii, explanation (bonus points: it also explains how to "play nice"). ;-)

p.s. I just learned that there are some very intricate, long-winded explanations of hopscotch rules out there. Good thing I never had to learn all of them when I played as a child. I think that I would have given up and played at something else instead. :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

p.p.s. I would have used a Tin Yurl but Spybot did not want to go there.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

dagger

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

What a great visual for hopscotch. Next time one of my 3 sees a Wii, I will bring that web site up to distract them!!!

"wiimote?" That was not only not on the tip of my tongue, I do not believe it was within 30 yards of any part of me.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the28: 27 hours for an upgrade? What, is the WaPo blog running dos5.0 / WIN3.1? Anyway, how about specualtion on tonight's lineup. Here's my best personal preference...

1) 2B- Bonifacio, E.
2) 3B- Harris, W.
3) 1B- Casto, K.
4) C - Flores, J.
5) RF- Kearns, A.
6) CF- Milledge, L.
7) LF- Langerhans, R.
8) SS- Gonzalez, A.
9) P - Redding, T.

Comments?

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Big-time trouble for Buscone Boy Bowden? From ESPN.com....

Sources said FBI agents have not traveled to the Dominican, and contrary to media reports, have limited their probe thus far to allegations surrounding fired White Sox official David Wilder, Washington Nationals general manager Jim Bowden and Nationals special assistant Jose Rijo.

Wilder has not commented and did not return several phone calls. Bowden previously confirmed to ESPN that he had spoken with federal authorities but insisted he has done nothing wrong, and that FBI agents had asked him nothing about his own activities.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 4, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

1) 2B- Bonifacio, E.
2) 3B- Harris, W.
3) LF- Dukes, E.
4) C - Flores, J.
5) RF- Kearns, A.
6) CF- Milledge, L.
7) 1B- Casto, K. or Belliard, R.
8) SS- Gonzalez, A.
9) P - Redding, T.

Posted by: 231 | August 4, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

One comment:

Do we know that Zimmerman and Guzman are still unavailable?

Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I believe Bowden (?) said that Zim and Guz wouldn't be available until later in the week (Friday, if I'm not mistaken).

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 4, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Disregard last post. Both Zim and Guz should be available "this week." No specific day is mentioned.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 4, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Also, maybe it's just me but Emilio Bonifacio and Alex Escobar - separated at birth?

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope one of the upgrades will allow us to Ignore certain users...

Posted by: TimDz | August 4, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Re: Hopscotch - what board are you playing (see examples)? You guys forced me to roll back the clock about 45 years on this one.

10 (one foot)

3 (one foot)
------------
2 ! 1 (one foot each)
------------
Free/Start

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

@natsfan1a: A.Escobar & E.Bonifacio mentioned in the same breadth? Noo.oooo.oooo!! Bad, bad thing - Shame on you for even thinking it.

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

@231: If Dukes' calf/leg is good to go, I'm with you there instead of Langerhans. Belly vs. Casto, um..mmm, that's probably how Manny is gonna pencil it; I'm going with another LH bat in the lineup against Cook.

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BIM. I was pretty sure there were some "both feet" squares in there. Now I think I get it.

Posted by: Scooter | August 4, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I'm scaring the cat.

***************
As I understand it here's how you play hopscotch:
1. Turn on the Wii.
2. Attach control to your ankle (ack- what is the real word? I almost said "joystick")
....
Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 6:21 PM

Posted by: CE | August 4, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

@scooter: Glad to help - Also, the play required something that looked like a thin hockey puck, called a "taw" or "hoppy-taw". Playing with a pebble on concrete/macadam caused some problems with controlling the toss.

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to alarm you, BIM. My comment was meant to apply only to a (to me, anyway) facial resemblance.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

His joystick? Why would he attach it to his boystick. Oh. Never mind...

"Laughing here at the image of Halfstreet with the Wii control attached to his joystick...."

Posted by: Emily Litella | August 4, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Daggone Freudian typos. Joystick.

Posted by: Emily Litella | August 4, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Kearns@#4 -NNNN...OOOO...OOOOOO...OOOOOOOO!

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"BOYSTICK"?? Wow, that's gotta be my new nickname!

Posted by: Clint | August 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

We were all really mad at one kid for (almost) getting his eye put out playing "dirt clod wars" -- basically a game of throwing rocks at one another -- and ruining it for everybody.

*************
Funny, none of us let our kids play in the street anymore.
Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 6:21 PM

Posted by: The Good Old Days | August 4, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

No Clint, That would be "Boy-Sthitck".

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Umm. Uh, I'd best pass at a response at this point......

Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Or Goy-sthitck, or even Oy-sthitck.

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

OK, so Baseball Prospects writes off our chances for the playoffs, but you gotta like our chances for the number one draft pick next year. But let's say we get a little bit hot. Does anyone know what's waiting for us if we pick 2-5?

Posted by: Bowden's Illegitimate Son | August 4, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, comeon +.5 St. - Jump in, the water's fine.

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

lineups? lineups? bueller? bueller?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 4, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we're only 10 behind the Braves. Their fans sounded a bit despondent. Maybe we can catch them?

Posted by: SF Fan | August 4, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm out - talk to y'all Wednesday.

Posted by: BIM | August 4, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

My teen daughter was watching channel 4 news at noon today when the talking heads asked for email input on the Redskins. Here is what she emailed...

"The Redskins did play well last night. However, that doesn't mean they're going to the playoffs after winning one measly game. I'm getting incredibly sick of listening to fans chanting, "We're going all the way!" Whatever happened to including the Nationals in the Sports section, who just swept the Cincinnati Reds?"

She had the hutzpa to set the DVR just in case. Babs Harrison actually read her email on the air at 11:55 this morning. Except it was incomplete...

She had the hutzpa to set the DVR just in case. Babs Harrison actually read part of her email on the air at 11:55 this morning. Except it was incomplete...

"The Redskins did play well last night. However, that doesn't mean they're going to the playoffs after winning one measly game."

No mention of the great story going on with the Nats.

Our irony meters are going to blow!

-Eric

Posted by: EW | August 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't get too excited abouth FBI investigation of Bowden or anyone else in the DR bribery thing. They don't exactly have a great track record of getting the right culprit as with the anthrax case and others. They're better at hunting down bank robbers than white collar offenders or terrorists.

Posted by: NatMan | August 4, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the above...what I meant to get across is that they cut any mention of the Nats...Man don't hit the post button too quick.

Posted by: Eric | August 4, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

G. Atkins 1b
I. Stewart 3b
C. Iannetta c
C. Sullivan cf
A. Cook p

Posted by: lineup | August 4, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Not an ideal start to the game...Time for Redding to work some magic.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 4, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Argh. I take back all the cheering I did for the Rockies last fall.

Posted by: JennX | August 4, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

FYI - Red Sox dismissed their Dominican scouting superviser today. From the Boston.com "Extra bases" blog:

" ESPN.com reported the Sox fired Lantigua, "after MLB investigators confronted him about allegedly skimming signing bonuses, according to an MLB source."

The FBI is also investigating the case which started when White Sox international scouting director Dave Wilder was fired after authorities stopped him for carrying a $40,000 check from Dominican players' bonuses across the border into the US. Wilder once interviewed for the Sox GM job. "

Posted by: PTBNL | August 4, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

And I'm out. I'll check back in another hour or so. Hopefully things will be better then...

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 4, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

That was me, not 231. I always liked Escobar, despite his bad luck with injuries. Also, superstitious any? :D

"@231: Understood, but regardless, the injury waiting to happen (Escobar) should NEVER be equated to a current member of the Natiionals. Yikes!"

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Great story, Eric. It doesn't surprise me, unfortunately.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Reading some of the comments, I was expecting to see a blowout-potential score for the first inning when I checked Game Day. It's not that bad. There's still a lot of game left and these guys seem to believe. Bet they can come back.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah! Hope to wake up to a win - go Nats!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

It puts such a bee in my bonnet natsfan1a. A HUGE sports srory is going on in this city...

Posted by: Eric | August 4, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I know what you mean, Eric. That situation has annoyed me since day one.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 5, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

See you on the other side!

Posted by: misschatter | August 5, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

1A...jean shorts = jorts

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 5, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

ohhhh. Thanks, LDO.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 5, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

arl Een plaatje zegt alles, toch ? jtk Het volledige rapport is hier te vinden. Lees natuurlijk k de blogposting. o d
Thanks for interesting post! krb
ламинат купить 4d