Crow's agent: I would doubt Nats sign Aaron Crow

I caught up by phone today with Randy Hendricks, half of the Hendricks Sports Management team, which represents Aaron Crow.

Take this as just half the story (that's the way it always works here), but here were Hendricks's main points.

* His brother, Alan, told Jim Bowden before the draft that Crow wanted two things: A major league contract and a "premium" signing bonus, well above slot. (Recommended for a ninth overall pick: $2,150,000.) Knowing that, the Nats took Crow. Crow has not changed his demands.

"If they weren't willing to (meet those demands), they shouldn't have drafted him," Hendricks said.

Asked about the Nats stance in negotiations, Hendricks said that the Nats are "sticking to this sanctified slotting position...They've made their position clear throughout negotiations about their adherence to the slotting system."

Other key points...

* The two sides haven't spoken since Tuesday.

* Chances for a deal aren't gone, but it'll require a serious comeback.

"The point is," Hendricks said, "I would doubt they sign Aaron Crow -- because I guarantee we won't change."

By Chico Harlan  |  August 14, 2008; 7:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Backs, thumbs, diabetes
Next: A few final notes from Nats Park

Comments

Why are we stuck at the slot preference for this pick as opposed to the others?

I mean, I don't agree with the ML Contract thing, and that might be the overall deal breaker, but why not tell him "Look, we're willing to go above slot, we can give you x.x million dollars (cue Dr. Evil...), but you are NOT ready to compete in the Majors this season, you just aren't."

Posted by: NattyDelite! | August 14, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that's true. He could be one of our best 5 now. I'm not saying I'd be in favor of throwing him in there, but I don't think it's unfair to say he's a MLB quality pitcher now, from what I've read and the little bit I've seen.

Although I grant it's very hard to evaluate in a short season against college hitters and aluminum bats, etc.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 14, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

BTW--I still think he signs. People don't posture this much if they aren't interested in making a deal. And if he phrased it as "A major league contract and a 'premium' signing bonus, well above slot" there's a lot of wiggle room in that.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 14, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Screw him and his sleazy agent. Have fun in Fort Worth and don't blow your arm out!

Posted by: Buh Bye | August 14, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

The amount of posturing here is approaching record levels. At long last we are getting on the record posturing from Crow's side.

Posted by: Brian | August 14, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I just went back to the first posts of the permanent blog (sadly, 2005 is lost forever).

Chico, you're a great writer with grade A snark, but you have some Spring Training shoes to fill buddy.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | August 14, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Damn straight. These players need to know that I'm not going to spend my hard-earned money on them, when they're unproven talents. I'd rather spend it on known quantities like Dmitri Young, Paul LoDuca and Felipe Lopez, players that know what being a major leaguer is all about.

Failing that, I'll do what I always do: pocket it.

Posted by: Uncle Teddy | August 14, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

So, the Hendricks brothers want to be the next Scott Boras - Offer Crow a 4.1M deal and if they don't bite, buh bye & good luck in next years' draft. Hello #1 - #4 plus #9a in 2009.

Posted by: BIM | August 14, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

So, Uncle Teddy, when's your namesake going to win?

Posted by: SF Fan | August 14, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

is really #10, 11, 12, or 13

Ovedraft come to papa

Posted by: #9A in 2009 | August 14, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Going over slot is fine, but I wouldn't break the bank. It seems to me that Crow has a lot to lose by not signing (i.e., injury risk). I never loved this pick anyway, I would have taken Smoak (which might have created the same problem with a different player, but still). BTW, Keith Law's chat said he heard that we probably weren't going to sign Crow.

Posted by: John O. | August 14, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

MASN must figure that since there are only 9,000 of us out here watching no one will notice, but once again their so-called "HD" broadcast is not really high definition. I wonder who they'll blame tonight, Channel 20? It says HD twice on my screen (MASN HD and My20 HD), but the picture those logos are slapped on sure ain't HD.

Hey MASN, if you're not going to actually broadcast those 40 Nats games in HD that you said you would, why don't you just go ahead and tell us that ALL the broadcasts are HD? If you're gonna lie, go all the way with it.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | August 14, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Remember in past years when StanThePlan used to get mad when MASN messed up the broadcasts?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

It's best if this doesn't happen. We all remember J.D. Drew and the Phillies a few years ago. Sure, he's had a decent career, but nowhere near what his signing bonus should have reflected. Also, he was booed in most major league stadiums during his first few years in the league. Even today, it's hard to think of him without remembering his (and his agent's) slimey attitude.

We love Ryan Zimmerman and Chris Marrero and young Mr. Detwiler because they signed (almost) immediately because they placed their love of the game over gaining a few million dollars more than they might have otherwise gotten.

If what we are hearing is true regarding his demands, I hope Jim Bowden doesn't sign him. We don't need prima donna's on this team (or rather, more than we have already)

Posted by: The Beltway Boy | August 14, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, the only games we have a chance of winning are games that Lannan starts.

Posted by: rx985 | August 14, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Crow's agent is posturing. He took this public to try and put pressure on the Nats, making it sound like it is the Nats fault because they won't go a nickel above slot.

He may not be signed, but I believe that between the lines Crow's people sound like they want to negotiate and sign.

Posted by: Cabraman | August 14, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Since this game isn't worth talking about, I'd like to talk about D. Young. I simply don't believe he's just dealing with a diabetes issue. I mean, why wouldn't he able to control his diabetes while sitting on a plane for a couple of hours or a train for a day and a half? I've got some experience with diabetes in my family history and I've never heard of this. Maybe I'm paranoid but I just think there's more going on here. I'm still rooting for the guy but I just think there's more going on...

Posted by: baltova | August 14, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I obviously don't know what's going on with Crow's negotiation but his agent's comment doesn't make sense. The Nats have gone over slot for a number of guys in the past two years so why are they "sticking to this sanctified slotting position" with him? If I were Crow's parents, I would seriously urge him to sign. He's certainly going to get big money plus probably some sort of big league guarantee and the odds are slim that if he comes back for next year's draft, he'd end up in as good a position. He's almost definitely costing himself money by sitting out. Besides, who'd want to hold off on getting on board the Plan Express? Huh, huh, tell me that? (Sigh...)

Posted by: baltova | August 14, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Dmitri doesn't just have to get his diabetes under control enough to get down to Florida by plane or train. He has to get it under control enough that he can risk undergoing a conditionining program once he gets there. If he hasn't got himself to the point where he can work out, it doesn't matter whether he's in Florida or DC. The whole point in him going to Florida is because that's where the team's facilities and personnel are for administering the kind of program he needs.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | August 14, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great reporting, Chico - putting paid to a lot of speculation that the deal was done. So what if those who predict arm trouble for Crowe did the same for Tim Lincecum. We must protect the pockets of our billionaire owners! No talks since Tuesday. They haven't even offered the kid one Lo Duca. There aren't that many prospects who can throw 97 mph with command. Why all the talk that we don't want him? Are you watching what I'm watching?

Posted by: flynnie | August 14, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

For those of you able to attend, Barry's taking questions at 10 am. Someone try to get him to express his glee at escaping this season, and whether he saw it coming.
*********************************************
Dave Sheinin: Okay, everyone. We're out of time. Thanks for the plentiful and excellent questions. Hope y'all enjoy the rest of the Games. Look for another chat tomorrow morning, same time, same channel, with Barry Svrluga. Or as I call him, The Water Boy.

Posted by: flynnie | August 14, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

If i've said it once on this blog i've said it ten times you let him (Young) come to spring training overweight which directly impacts his diabetes someone should have been monitoring his diet, and eating the wrong foods can literally cause diabetic shock. He was obviously out of shape, if Jimbo was going to reward him for last season then weight incentives should have been tied to his contract, Manny should have known better,Jimbo too given Dimitri's health history and his penchant for "having a few" a lot of this could have been avoided but this situation speaks volumes about this franchise and their ability to recognize the obvious.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | August 14, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | August 14, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Here's my interpretation:

The Nats are holding fast about the slot thing because Crow (apparently) hasn't shown any interest in negotiating in any significant way - By this I mean, giving up on the major league contract. Obviously the Nats have (and are willing to give) over-slot money, as they have done with their other picks. I bet if Crow gave that demand up, then the money would come... but not before they (Crow) moves. If the Nats move first, they lose their negotiating advantage.

The other possibility is that Crow really thinks he's "all that", and if that's the case, then why wasn't he drafted before number nine in a relatively weak draft class?

In terms of PR, Crow isn't scoring points with "The Constituency"... but that makes it easier for the Nats to pass on him without drawing ire from the fanbase.

It is my opinion that Crow is getting bad advice. Perhaps that negotiating strategy maximizes the return today, but only if you get the contract, and then he is still going to have to perform in the long run. Once you're under contract, the team takes the risk on injuries.

Independent pro teams don't have the same medical and training staffs that an MLB team does. At least you know the Nats staff is well-practiced.

Posted by: Wigi | August 14, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Just out of curiousity, would you call that a "squeeze"?

Posted by: Wigi | August 14, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

And another thing...

I was going to ask, how many of this year's top ten draft picks got Major League contracts... but then I went and looked at Chico's draft recap, and as of yesterday, seven of ten remained unsigned.

Bowden should FedEx a "Fort Worth Apartment-Hunter's Guide" to Crow.

Posted by: Wigi | August 14, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | August 14, 2008 9:06 PM

Double posting doesn't make your punctuation any better, unfortunately. Your arguments might be better if they read easily. I skip your posts after the first missed period.

Posted by: Have a "." Or a ","I have plenty! | August 14, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Great, now there's a "Let's Go Mets" chant going on. Have we mentioned before that this team and this season sucks?

Posted by: baltova | August 14, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Whew, everything is bright and sunny today, isn't it?

Posted by: PJ | August 14, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

When is Manny going to stop outsmarting himself in the way he uses his relievers? After Rivera pitches a reasonably effortless eighth inning - 16 pitches - he sticks to "the book" and brings his closer into a game in which his team is trailing in the ninth inning. Four runs later, the game is totally out of reach. Manny, your team has only won 36 percent of its games entering tonight. You're not in the Wild Card race. Burn "the book" and trust what you see, please.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 14, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

let's win one!

Posted by: natsscribe | August 14, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

------

ahem

Posted by: Chad's mom | August 14, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Mark Z of the Times has reported that Ronnie B was claimed off Waviers by the Dodgers. Working on a trade......

Posted by: JayB | August 14, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree it's probably posturing by the agent. However, I hope Mr. Crow likes pitching in the independent leagues. I think the Nats might move to an over slot position but I cannot see them meeting these demands. Finally, there's better than an 80% chance that in three years when you say the name Aaron Crow, people will say "who?" That's simply the nature of the draft. Lot's of first rounders fail. If Crow is more interested in money than playing in our minor league system, then it's time to wave goodbye and start planning for next year's draft. It's impossible to know if we'll get anyone as good or better. I think that's a gamble worth taking, rather than meeting this idiot's demands.

Posted by: grf15 | August 14, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Clayton Kershaw straight up for Bellie.

Posted by: Cavalier | August 14, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Look, people had seen, prior to his "diabetic emergency," Dmitri Young at bars in Pentagon Row drinking. Doing shots, no less. That's screwed up on about ten different levels. Anybody think it's strange that he plummeted after the All-Star break, when he had some free time? Connect the dots.

Just another example of Nats management treating their fans like they are stupid, and wasting away the money that we've so loyally paid them.

Posted by: natty, not fatty | August 14, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

A couple of thoughts from the upper decks tonight:

*Balestar looked like a rookie, but not too bad for a rookie. Nothing about tonight makes me lose confidence in him, and since I wasn't a big Balestar nut in the first place I am looking for "told you so" opportunities.

*Perez didn't look unbelievable, but he did something markedly different from the Nats -- he started with strikes. Chico, since it can't be a secret that the Nationals are trying too hard to paint the corners and failing to get strikes, do you think St. Clair could share some insight on the pitching philosophy from the coaches? Are they encouraging this style of pitching?

*I laughed at poor Bonifacio. Last night he proved he could lay off the breaking stuff, so they went back to throwing him strikes and he watched himself disappear into a hole. At least he was taking a few pitches, which is more than most of the team.

*The best thing about Hanrahan's performance was that the Mets couldn't conclude the game with more runs than hits.

*Milledge is looking like a real center fielder. What do the scoutish crowds think about the breaking thing?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | August 14, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

do you blame him for wanting a lot of money to play for this sorry team and sorry franchise? I wouldnt take less than $5 mill to sign here. The organization is pathetic. Business is business. JD drew was booed for about twenty minutes. And he got from the cardinals what he wanted from the phillies. So id say he played that perfectly. And hes been a damn solid major leaguer for 10 years, and he will play at least another 5. You're right, what a sorry career. Sad thing is, I'm a nats fan. This seasons sucks

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

"If i've said it once on this blog i've said it ten times"

When you double post your "I told you so's", should I multiply by 2? Is it now twice or twenty times you have enlightened teh masses? Is there an exponential involved in there somewhere?

Also superfan, its Dmitri.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 15, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

natty, not fatty: what's with the repetitious Dmitri rumor-mongering?

Posted by: inquiring minds | August 15, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

I'd put the odds of a last minute deal better than 50-50. The Bowden/Lerner team is clearly willing to pay above-slot money and I think they will. The Hendricks comments are ridiculous. Their "demands" are an opening position in a negotiation, not a bottom line. To say that if the Nats are unwilling to give them everything they ask for then they shouldn't have drafted him is laughable. I have to believe that since these guys are in the business of negotiating that they understand this and are just posturing.

Their client is probably at his best bagaining position (13-0 record last year); if they don't take advantage of that and get him 3.5 to 3.8 M they are fools.

Posted by: doogie | August 15, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm I the only one that thinks that Crow and the Ft. Worth Cats might beat the Nats in a heads up game?

Over-slot or not. 97MPH. Absolutely competitive. 3 pitches. Accurate and can eat up innings. Find a way to sign this guy today!

Posted by: gravyluvr | August 15, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse