Eight hours remaining

No progress made so far today in talks with Crow. That's what I'm hearing, at least, from one of the involved parties. We've got just more than eight hours to go before we know Crow's status. Stay tuned.

For now, here are the lineups...

Colorado

Kearns - 9
Flores - 2
Boone - 3
Harris - 7
Redding - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 15, 2008; 3:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind?
Next: Five hours remaining

Comments

Chico...you should have consulted with new poster Brue. He knows the word on the street.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 15, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

At least Boone is back. I'll take Boone and a bag of balls any day over Crow.

Posted by: IBC | August 15, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Jorge de la Rosa, LHP.

Not that we seem to be platooning much these days ...

Posted by: Scooter | August 15, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

If you give Crow a giant $$$ deal, what is the number 1 pick next year gonna cost you?

Posted by: Johnny Baconbitz | August 15, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Johnny Baconbitz | August 15, 2008 4:33 PM

======

Strasburg is going to cost a buttload anyway. And be worth it.

Hopefully we can get Crow locked up for 4 million.

Posted by: Section 111 (Formerly 223 @ RFK Stadium) | August 15, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Could be a giant $$$$ deal.

Other options for the 1,1 pick would be to overdraft a lesser first round talent and negotiate a slot deal prior to the draft. Happened before with varying degrees of success. But it usually happens when there isnt a clearly defined #1 pick available and/or the selecting team isnt conserving money on the draft.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 15, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see Bonifacio at SS than Belliard. If I were the Dodgers, I'd rather see Belliard playing 2B anyways.

Posted by: Hoagie | August 15, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"Other options for the 1,1 pick would be to overdraft a lesser first round talent and negotiate a slot deal prior to the draft."

Then we'd be the Pirates.

Posted by: 756* | August 15, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Here, once again, we have a potential trade predicting where we play our guys on any given night. Ronnie is playing every IF position! Great! Dodgers, you will be receiving a utility infielder! We have plenty of them. Almost an entire lineup, in fact.

Posted by: 756* | August 15, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Belliard is at SS because we have no one else who can really play the position.

Posted by: lowcountry | August 15, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Matusz signs major league contract with a $3.2 million bonus. Reports to Frederick. So much for my guess saying no major league contract.

Posted by: ptbnl | August 15, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Orioles signed their draft pick. That was supposed to be one of the hold ups.

Posted by: Tom | August 15, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I think if you're Crow and his advisor/agent, you tell Bowden either you need to give the ML contract and deal around $3 mil or no ML contract and like $5-6 mil. If people are reasonable on both sides, something should get done there.

Posted by: Mark | August 15, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I dont get in other posts why some people think its Jim Bowden's fault if we dont sign Crow its not his its Kasten and the Leners its pretty annoying to hear people putting blame on Jim when its not his fault.

Posted by: J-dog | August 15, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

buttload - ooh, that can't be good. Is it anything like a "boatload"?

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 15, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

My archivist intuition told me to look at the archives after the blog pause, and I am ridiculously happy to report that the comments seem to be back. Yay! Yes, I do not seem to have a life. Your point would be?

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 15, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Post techhies!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 15, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

To all:
Similar to a post on NFA-

If we are going to execute the plan we need a “plan” “budget” that exceeds, by two or three times in my opinion, the next highest in MLB.
Sign all the top 20 plus #32, then I’ll believe. Anything less is a fraud, where plan equals, “we will spend a minimum amount and you will pay whatever we ask for tickets-by the way, this will go on for 20 years or so. Thank you for your cash, we won't sign MLB FAs but the plan to sign draftees continues a long as you suckers believe it.”
I hope..I desparately hope..that I am wrong.

We’ll all know tonight.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 15, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

SlowPitch, if the Nats put money like that into the draft, then they'd be the Tigers. But Stan only likes comparing to the Tigers to justify a huge number of losses. Pay no attention to actually shelling out big bonuses on guys like Verlander or Porcello.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | August 15, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I happened to see the last two innings of the Cuba-USA game, which Cuba did win 5-4. It was tied 3-3 at the end of the tenth, so they invoked that "encourage scoring" rule, with runners each placed on first and second. Each team in their inning hit a sacrifice by first batter to move the runners up. Second Cuban batter hit a line drive out to right field and two runners made it in, finally one runner left on base. The next US batter hit a fly ball out to center, and the runners tagged up and one got in. The last batter flied out to center, one runner left on base. Anyway, it was interesting to see this 'end the game'rule played out, despite the fact that it has no place in baseball.

The other novelty of the last inning was that Jayson Nix was batting and the ball hit his bat, then bounced up and hit his forehead, hard enough that he was dripping blood. Someone else finished out his at bat.

Posted by: Traveler | August 15, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe MLB will adopt that rule for the All-Star Game!

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | August 15, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 15, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, signing the draft picks is vital. However, in my opinion, the team would be setting a dangerous precedent if they draft guys in the 15, 16th, 17th round and simply because they feel they need to get a deal done, way overpay for them (say, first or second round money). I know the deal with McGeary, and that seems to be an exception rather than a rule because of his circumstances. Just like some folks are saying that for the next 20 years the FO will be saying they can't sign top picks because of the slot (I don't believe this, by the way), if the Nats pay low first/high second money to 15th-20th round draft picks, they will set that standard and perhaps lose their mid round draft picks for the next 20 years.

I just read this article (http://www.nysun.com/sports/baseballs-draft-system-is-badly-broken/83971/) and I have begun to change my stance on the Crow deal. While I do think that Crow and his agent are holding the team hostage, I think the team should sign him. I'm not, however, one to think that the heavens will fall if they don't. I hope a deal gets done, and I think that they could be justified in paying up to $6 Million for him.

As to the #1 pick next year...I think what they need to do is go out and pick up the #1 college bat. I feel like they need to start getting some elite sticks in the farm system. Invest the 9a in a pitcher if it comes down to that, but I think the first pick should be a huge power bat (if that's out there).

Posted by: Cavalier | August 15, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Anybody still looking at this thread? I cannot get the post called "Five Hours to Go" to load up on my Mac, either in Firefox or Opera.

Posted by: shepdave | August 15, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse