Estrada up from Columbus

Just about an hour ago, the Nats formalized their latest transaction, recalling RHP Marco Estrada from Class AAA Columbus.

Estrada has never pitched in the big leagues before, and will take the place of Luis Ayala in the bullpen. Overall this season, split between Harrisburg and Columbus, Estrada went 9-6 in 25 starts. His numbers with the Clippers: 3-3, 3.58 ERA in 12 starts.

Estrada turned 25 last month and was a 6th round pick by the Nats in 2005.

Estrada becomes the fourth player from that draft to reach the majors.

The others?

Ryan Zimmerman, Justin Maxwell and John Lannan.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 19, 2008; 3:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Budget for the Draft
Next: Lineups, with Flores

Comments

hello?

Posted by: laxbigj | August 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

My heart just dropped. I saw the headline and thought of Johnny.

Posted by: Rick | August 19, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

What the constituency wants to know is whether the locker comes pre-equipped with a gas can, or is that a personal artifact that went with the previous owner.

Posted by: SF Fan | August 19, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Not that I have any problem with Estrada's recall, but Schroeder must have fallen off the face of the earth as far as management is concerned.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 19, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Schroder is 30 and is minor league garbage. He's been awful lately for Columbus.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Also saves Estrada from Rule-5 draft, right?

Posted by: G-town | August 19, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The heck with the gas can - I want to know if they have Dr. James Andrews' phone number hung on the wall, or do they just have one of those red phones with no numbers on it, so you can just pick it up and ring directly to his office?

Over/Under on days until Estrada is "day-to-day": 6

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | August 19, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I take that back.

Posted by: G-town | August 19, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

So is Anderson Hernandez joining the team yet? And if so, who goes down?

Posted by: westofrome | August 19, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez was planned to be a Sept call-up, right? or does he have to pass through waivers to get down to AAA?

Posted by: SF Fan | August 19, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ayala for Hernandez means you save $300,000 for the rest of the year.

You can pocket that scratch if you just go with one catcher till September 1st.

Posted by: Lerners Accountant | August 19, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

You joke but about how roster moves are determined but with some digging I bet that is exactly how this team makes it's roster decisions. Chico has had his head in the sand for months on this issue. Mark Z at the Times has been honest that he beliefs it to be a big part of the whole Day to Day mess.

Posted by: JayB | August 19, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The Plan? The Plan better be to back up the Brinks truck to sunny southern California to my client's doorstep! If you do that, I promise I won't make an outright claim before the draft that my client will never sign with you. I'll at least let you think there's a chance we'll let you draft him before plunging the dagger deep into your hearts.

Let's do lunch, OK? Talk to you then.

-SB

Posted by: Scott Boras | August 19, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Lunch? That's better than we got with the Hendricks. You pay, right?

Posted by: Jimbo Rizzo | August 19, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

wonder if he'll get no. 23 since the previous estrada wore it and the nats won't have to pay to have another jersey made?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 19, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

It's a set that comes in a lovely suede box... a set of matches on one side, and a miniature gas can on the other. It fits comfortably in any pitcher's locker. (esp. Ayala's former digs)

Posted by: 307 | August 19, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Here's the framework I'm thinking about right now. As always, things could change, but let's start putting some things on paper.

$10 million - you're talking to my secretary; she's telling you I'm not available.

$11 million - I'll let her patch you thru to my voicemail. I won't return the call.

$12 million - Voicemail, but this time I'll email you three days later and tell you I'm swamped with other client business and that we should make time to meet the next time I'm in the area.

$13 million - I'll answer the call but won't acknowledge the offer. I will say I look forward to getting a deal done, though.

$14 million - I'll answer the call and say that this is a good starting point for negotiations.

$15 million - I'll answer the call but...who am I kidding? You won't go to $15 million! I'll be surprised if your first offer sniffs $10 million.

Gotta run, but let's talk more later.

-SB

Posted by: Scott Boras | August 19, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Except that they might incur tailoring costs for taking in the uni, natscribe. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 19, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

at least the nats won't have to spend money on a nameplate.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 19, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

So, had they traded him sooner, they could have offered Crow $3.8 million?

Just a little tenderizer for the horse...

-----

Ayala for Hernandez means you save $300,000 for the rest of the year.

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 19, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't know where else to post this since I've been out of the loop for the past few days, but anyway...

Why does everyone assume that Jim Bowden meant that giving Ramirez 1mil could only happen if Crow didn't sign? I don't think we were working with a firm budget number for the draft that wasn't breakable. This is what I think happened;

When JimBow saw that Crow might not sign he got more aggressive with Ramirez while still negotiating with Crow. If Crow had agreed to a number at 11:30pm then maybe he would have stopped short of 1mil to get Ramirez, but maybe that deal was already done...If they had Ramirez in the loop and had had 5 more minutes to sign Crow at 3.75mil would they really have called Ramirez' agent back and said "sorry, kidding..." NO they would have taken both and would have been 750k-1.5mil over "budget" (and we'd all be singing there praises...well maybe not Bowden, but still).

I think the Crow non-signing didn't come down to dollars, it came down to time, I honestly believe if they'd had 5-10 more minutes they would have made a deal, they simply ran out of time and for that I blame Crow and his agents for playing Chicken with his future. Honestly, who can take an agent seriously who holds back a negotiation that long and then refused to even come off their number till 20 minutes from the deadline.

Crow should sue them for malpractice!

Posted by: estuartj | August 19, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Clippard? I thought he might come up and pitch from the bullpen like Mock.

Posted by: Clueless | August 19, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

JayB--

Understood that it could very well be a money thing. However, saying that the Mark Z "honestly believes" does not make it true. Perhaps Chico honestly believes that it isn't money.

Posted by: Cavalier | August 19, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Just heard on XM….Kennedy and Dibble called the Nationals “purgatory” and a last stop for players like Milledge and Dukes who burned their bridges with real teams. They went on to praise Tampa Bay and Mets for not putting up with these types of players, while implying Acta and Jimbo have done nothing to set the correct tone and that is why the Nats will always suck…..This was all in the BJ Upton context. While even I think this is part crap, the National media XM, FOX all have this impression now and it makes Tom L recent writing even truer, nobody wants to be a National. Not Crow, Not FA, not anyone.

Nice work Stan…a proud day for Nats fans.

Posted by: JayB | August 19, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Cav,

Agreed, but Chico has not shown me anything yet so I trust Mark more on these things. Mark is always more plugged in and first with news. If Chico cared to look into it, according to Mark Z, several Nationals FO types have said the same thing off the record.

Posted by: JayB | August 19, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, I though Milledge was doing well, hasn't acted out, and was on his way to a more mature future.

Dukes I haven't heard as much about, so can't really tell, but the fact that I haven't heard about him speaks volumes, does it not?

Posted by: SF Fan | August 19, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

As I said some crap but again this is what the rest of baseball sees and then they see a dead team on the field, and the worst record in baseball by far.....who will come here....not Crow, not the 1 pick next year, not FA...that is the culture created by this team this year.

Posted by: JayB | August 19, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, back at the new post: lineups.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 19, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

JayB,

When you don't sign your #1 pick just to save an extra $500K, that has to signal to all free agents and future draft picks that this is a bush league operation here in DC.

Really disappointing, since the much-maligned DC government stepped up and did its part to bring the region a major league team, but we are being let down so far by ownership.

There still is time to turn it around, however. I do hope that most season ticket holders are still able to believe in this franchise, as we are a great sports town. Better days ahead....

Posted by: EdDC | August 19, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse