Felipe on leaving DC

This won't help Felipe Lopez win any friends with the DC crowd, but he didn't have many in the first place. My man Derrick Goold from The St. Louis Post-Dispatch passed along a few comments from Lopez, the newest Cardinal.

About coming from St. Louis to Washington:

"It's like night and day. You go from somewhere that's dead last and the energy is not there. You come here and as soon as I walked in I felt that energy. That inspires you, that motivates you to play well. ... They were trying to develop young players. I was not in their plans for the future."

On not hitting:

"Like I said, the motivation - just being dead last, I guess. Like going out there knowing you're probably going to lose isn't motivating. That's tough. That's tough, for me."

I'll pass along today's lineups and come back within the hour with another post, including more on Dukes, who's likely out 4-6 weeks.

Washington

Tulowitzki - 6
Baker - 4
Hawpe - 9
Torrealba - 2
Francis - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 6, 2008; 8:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dukes to DL?
Next: Day-to-day: Hmmph

Comments

I could make a comment about FLop's professionalism, but that's just too darn easy.

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | August 6, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

So I guess the 5 MILLION he was being paid didn't motivate him...loser...

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

if there is one Former Nat that I am *actively* rooting against and hoping they fall flat on their face, it is Felipe Lopez.

Posted by: MrMadison | August 6, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Not to worry, would you expect anything else from Lopez....He will kill the cards and burn all bridges by Sept.....

Posted by: JayB | August 6, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Flop singled first time up

Posted by: 419E | August 6, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Then he got thrown out at the plate trying to score from 2nd on an infield hit.

Posted by: 419 | August 6, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Salary question here. Now that the Cards have picked him up, do they pay his remaining salary, or does he get paid from them an additional salary to the what the Nats are paying him?

Posted by: phillip | August 6, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Felipe, do you think that maybe, just maybe they decided that you weren't part of the future around here because you played like crap and looked like you didn't care at all?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

4-6 weeks on Dukes! What the hell did he do? Of course he was supposed to be out for 8 weeks with his knee and was back playing in 3...

What is up with Guz too, if he doesn't play by Saturday they should have DL'd him...it will be 15 days since he last played....

Posted by: MO Nats Fan | August 6, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Livan just got picked up by the Rockies on waivers

Posted by: 419E | August 6, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

"You go from somewhere that's dead last and the energy is not there."

funny how the nats bench seemed energized as soon as he was gone. probably just coincidence...

Posted by: 231 | August 6, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

@flynnie,

"Dignity and respect?" Riiiiight.....

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

with Guz, they can still retro-him, right?

Posted by: SF Fan | August 6, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

call 'em the slow healing nats.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 6, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

why is he gone he was such a nice guy...

no he was not he was a total douche...

dumpada dee

Posted by: love | August 6, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

If nothing else, JimBow should be fired for all of the times his non-personnel moves have left this fragile team shorthanded. Consistently leaving this team at less than full strength is like going bear hunting armed with a switch. Guzman should have been DL'ed, but because he's appeared in games since being hurt, he can only be backdated to the day after his last appearance. The medical staff seems to have got their degrees in Grenada or somewhere and the team is being run like a mom-and-pop store. Could they just want to save money by not calling up players from the minors?

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I hope you die Felipe

Posted by: Bergmann on Man | August 6, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I'll try not to do this again, but I give up- Felipe is Peter Angelos to me now.

On top of that, I am ready to join the chorus of firing Nationals trainers. I have followed baseball for 35 years that I remember, and I have never, never lived through an injury-laden season like this. It can't be just chance.

I'll try to revert to +1/2St next time, or shut up until I can.

Posted by: Negatively Half St. | August 6, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...so beware.

Posted by: new post | August 6, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Felipe's comments don't come off that bad to me. It's true, he wasn't part of the future. It's true the team is dead last. And it's true the team wasn't motivated with him on it.

It's not like he's calling anyone names or anything, he's just glad to be on a new team. And WE'RE certainly not hurting now that he's gone. I say good luck Felipe. I hope you thrive over there.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 6, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

So what did Flop say that hasn't been said on this and several other boards about this team's attitude. Why do you think so many people are calling for Manny Acta head? Sounds more like he confirmed what everyone has been saying. The only time a player can be honest about his last team is after he is resigned.

Posted by: Last words | August 6, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, as far as motivators, there's always pride, the young fan who is seeing you and the Nats play in person for the first time, or even your potential take as a free agent, off the top of my head.

On another note, if you really have to call somebody a name, how about using a unisex term rather than one equates the person in question with an apparatus that is marketed for use on a "dirty" female body part that is by nature self-cleansing? Just a thought.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 6, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

"that" equates (I forgot to bring that word up on my soapbox with me)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 6, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

He wasn't motivated by his large paycheck or the fact that he would be a free agent. Who knew that all he needed was a team with a better record? How do we get a team with a better record.

Personally I think Manny should get one more season. I think Bowden should get canned. The fact that he traded for FLop twice is reason enough, but there are many other reasons. The training staff must basically be some dude holding a first aid kit. I have never seen so many injuries.

Posted by: Mr. Jennifer Lopez | August 7, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

If only we had traded for Bartolo Colon again. We would have been a contender and FLop could have hit better

Posted by: If only | August 7, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

If only we had a better team I would have hit better too. It had nothing to do with the lack of Roids in my system

Posted by: Paul Lo Duca | August 7, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

The atmosphere is going to be dead in your basement after you start 3-28 with the Cardinals and they cut you lose. Clown.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 7, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

i hope you break both your legs and an airplane (with nobody in it) falls on your head felipe.

Posted by: Section 111 (Formerly 223 @ RFK Stadium) | August 7, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

He's a typical follower, do the bare minimum. Ever thought about being a leader, Felipe? Taking charge? Setting a good example for young players? What a bleeping loser!!!

I can't stand the Cardinals, so I'm glad that soon he'll infect their clubhouse.

Posted by: 756* | August 7, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse