From Coors Field

We've got a real assortment of stuff here. Players talking about their futures. Players talking about their hands. FBI stuff. Oh, even the lineups for good measure. (This might be the last night for Nationals Lite. Elijah Dukes should be back tomorrow.)

Injuries first.

Today, Ryan Zimmerman took a few swings -- both indoors and on the field during BP. Cristian Guzman will follow suit tomorrow. (If you don't have the medical records on file, Zimmerman is dealing with a bruised right hand, Guzman with a left thumb injury.)

Manny Acta Q&A excerpt:

Q: Any progress among the injured guys?

Yes. Small, but we're making progress. Zimmerman hit in the batting cages today, and is going to hit on the field during batting practice. So that's a step in the right direction. Guzman also took some swings, some soft toss in the cages. And we're shooting for having him hit on the field tomorrow.

Q: So can you envision a return forthcoming?

I would say Zimmerman is probably the closest one, and it will be probably in a couple of days.

Q: Elijah, any update?

Elijah (calf) probably needs one more day.

---

OK, so that's out of the way.

* I talked to Ronnie Belliard today about his future with the team, given that the Nats now have their second baseman of the future in Emilio Bonifacio. Belliard is back to life as a utility man for the rest of the year, despite leading the team with 10 HRs.

For now, playing sparingly is OK with him. He said that repeatedly today, and stressed that he was happy playing out the season. Still, even though he's under contract with the Nats for next season, he believes he'll be elsewhere next season.

"I don't think here," he said "I probably think somewhere else, but not here. If anybody else needs a second baseman."

* ESPN has its latest reportage about developments with the FBI investigation into baseball's Latin American scouting. One source with knowledge of the investigation tells ESPN.com that "less than a half dozen" teams might be implicated, including the Yanks, Red Sox, White Sox and Nationals. Read more here.

Now, tonight's lineups.

Atkins - 3
Stewart - 5
Iannetta - 2
Sullivan - 8
Cook - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 4, 2008; 8:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An outage (and no, not a joke about Washington's offense)
Next: Alberto Gonzalez: left glut contusion

Comments

Argh. I take back all the cheering I did for the Rockies last fall.

Posted by: JennX | August 4, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

This is a good reason to get to bed on time. I hope they make a stunning comeback, but I will have to read about it long before the sun comes up.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 4, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

"And we're shooting for having him hit on the field tomorrow?"

Posted by: I'm Ron Burgundy? | August 4, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey Redding, way to get the rally started... Bonafacio on as well, lets get those runs back.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Kearns. Its like rotten milk.

Not a fan of Langerhans, but even he is having a more productive year than austin K

Posted by: Blind Eyes | August 4, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

WOO TIE GAME!!

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Who woke the bats up??? Milledge is ripping too... this is so fun to watch, even if we lose tonight, its FUN TO WATCH. Its fun to do bad things - Latarian Milton.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

yeah, kearns is a disappointment

oh heck, I'll say it.. he really sucks.

and it just makes it worse that he looks like Mortimer Snerd at the darn plate

Posted by: I'll Second That | August 4, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Jesus Flores, don't be afraid to yoke another one out of the park for us.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Chico,
In case you missed the frenzy of excited posts over the weekend, this joke is no longer funny. Move on buddy.

"An outage (and no, not a joke about Washington's offense)"

Posted by: NatsNut | August 4, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Or we'll score two on another throwing error... that works too. 5-3 Nats, this is going to be a wild one.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that one, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 4, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

hey, 1a. glad to see you back. I missed you.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 4, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Redding's stuff seems to be more hittable in the thin air. Who's the long man in the bullpen?

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 4, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Man, I'm not looking forward to Guzman's return, this Gonzalez kid is locked in... that hurts that he over-slid 3rd though.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Memo to the front office,
Sign the draft picks!
You have to sign at least all 5 of the first 5 round picks, or otherwise having all these great scouts is pointless!

Posted by: 11 days left | August 4, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Joba Chamberlain just left the game with a shoulder injury in New York. Do you think they might have interest in Perez if he can clear waivers? I certainly would think so.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Trade Perez. If he has another good outing, really talk him up. We'll take one big bat minor leaguer, thank you. Who is at Scranton-Wilkes right now?

Estoy firmado! Segue to Segway! Go away FBI! In the name of General Manager and YMOS James Gordon Bowden III, Son, and Holy Ghost, Amen.

Posted by: Jim B | August 4, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

how about both bergmann and now redding settling down after looking pullable early?

Posted by: Jim B | August 4, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

You gotta be kidding me, surely there are better pitchers that'll clear waivers than Perez? This is all in the P-L-D to NY fantasyland that some of you keep on having.

Posted by: SF Fan | August 4, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

hey, he first hurt himself on the slide into third, einsteins!!

Posted by: Jim | August 4, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

check his left/right hitting ratio. big diff.

Posted by: Jim B | August 4, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Bonafacio = Triples machine

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE Bonifacio.

Posted by: I'm Gay for the Bone | August 4, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Jim B and others -

the guy in the Yankees farm system that I would want is Phil Coke - a great pitcher with Trenton. Yes, he was originally included in the deal with the Pirates , but as you know 2 guys in the deal changed.

Perez for Coke would be awesome - and clearly he is not an untouchable.

Posted by: Angry in Alexandria | August 4, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I can't believe this is the same team. This is great.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 4, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

is alberto okay? also, WOW. emilio bonifacio, you made my day.

Posted by: jf | August 4, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Are they saying anything about the AG's injury on the masn feed?

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 4, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Nothing on the injury, I think hes ok.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

just before boni started here, he played 8 games for columbus.

14 for 31 .452

i still think he will be .280-.290, but do these stats look familiar? is my job in jeopardy? yes?

Posted by: Jim B | August 4, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

i don't understand all the hating on odalis. is he a great pitcher? no. is he a big innings eater? not at 5ip per start. but he has a 4.16 ERA, which would be the 3rd best starter, by far, on the rockies staff. they only have two pitchers with starts who have an ERA under 5.47. he could help a few clubs. would he bring a great prospect? nope. but that doesn't mean a starter with a 4.16 era has no value.

Posted by: 231 | August 4, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

This is SO AWESOME!!! I swear, I'm so into this game I keep peaking on Gameday, which is a few seconds ahead of radio, because I can't bear the suspense. I haven't done this ALL YEAR.

They're keeping the bad guys on their toes and playing baseball. I'm so happy. My Nats are back!!

Posted by: NatsNut | August 4, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Yay, I had a feeling that they would pull it off and I'd wake up to a win (I dreamed that the final score was 12-3, but I'll take this one).

Thanks, NatsNut, we missed you when you were away, too!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 5, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse