From Coors Field

Garrett Mock, who probably leads the nation in trips to the Columbus airport, is back in the Nats clubhouse this morning. His addition (part of the Dukes-to-DL transaction) gives the Nats a seventh arm in the bullpen. Mock, who last threw on Tuesday for the Clippers, said he's available to pitch today.

We also talked a bit about what it's like to play in Columbus -- given that it now looks like the Nationals' Class AAA affiliate will be playing elsewhere next season. Mock's best line? Emphasizing how little he cared about the geography of Washington's minor league team, he said, "I'll fly here from Zimbabwe."

For some background on the Class AAA situation, read more here. I'll try to have a bit more on this later, perhaps in the dead tree.

As for the doubleheader...

* According to PR man John Dever, this is just the Nats' second true doubleheader (non day/night) since moving to DC.

* Cristian Guzman is back in the lineup.

* As part of Acta's back-to-basics dictum, the Nats are taking BP before today's first game. Again, not typical stuff. The Rockies, to contrast, won't be out on the field until gametime.

Washington

Atkins - 3
Stewart - 5
Tulowitzki - 6
Torrealba - 2
Francis - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 7, 2008; 1:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Details on the Doubleheader
Next: Redding, Minor League Report

Comments

"[Mock's] addition gives the Nats a seventh arm in the bullpen."

Technically, a fourteenth arm.

Posted by: Just sayin | August 7, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"[Mock's] addition gives the Nats a seventh arm in the bullpen."

Technically, a fourteenth arm.

Posted by: Just sayin | August 7, 2008 1:33 PM
____________

Hrmmm... has there ever been a "switch pitcher"?

Must go dig...

Posted by: OldGuy | August 7, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

From the Dispatch article: "The Nationals have told Schnacke that they would like to stay in Columbus."

Now, that **is** disappointing. I know they get attached to the community and all, but you'd think the players would want to join the ML club that signed them, even if it is Washington. But nooooo, they'd rather stay in Columbus after the team changes affiliations, the big babies.

Posted by: Emily Litella | August 7, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Old Guy, there's a very funny video on YouTube from earlier this year, of a switch-pitcher facing a switch-hitter, and the ensuing brinksmanship of which side the other was going to have to use.

Posted by: CE | August 7, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the lineup. Good to see Guze back (and Zimm again). I recall listening to the other real DH on the radio. Charlie and Dave got very punchy (even more than usual), if I recall correctly. Go Nats! And, hey, let's be careful out there.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 7, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, that didn't take long...

The long version of the video is off YouTube for rights reasons but the short one is here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh-w5zPiy10

Fun. :)

Posted by: OldGuy | August 7, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Manny is getting back to basics.....better late than never. I recall posting that Acta needed to take infield before games, just like was done for 100 years of MLB history. Glad to hear he did at least some of this once he decided to take the team back. I also recall reading they have been working on bunting too.....amazing what practice and commitment can do for a team.

Now if we can just get Acta to stop managing the bullpen from a spring training script. If Ayala gets any more innings other than in a blow out I'll scream. If they are not going to cut him outright then they will have to carry an additional pitcher or too to cover for him.

Posted by: JayB | August 7, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and this from Yahoo answers:

Short version, in the bigs only Greg Harris in 95 for the Expos vs. the Reds, four batters, two with each hand.

A few pre-1900.

Posted by: OldGuy | August 7, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Yup, good ol' Greg W. Harris (since there was another Greg Harris pitching at the same time).

Posted by: Section 138 | August 7, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

The other video must have gone the way of the Chase Utley All-Star Game introduction footage (the one where he heartily greeted the NY fans). :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 7, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Scratch that, as even I got them confused. Greg A. was the ambidextrous one. Greg W. was not ambidextrous.

Posted by: Section 138 | August 7, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Why not Richmond? The Braves are leaving after this season, correct? It seems like a perfect location.

Our Single A and Triple A clubs will be within an hour and a half of DC. That sounds great to me.

Posted by: Mike | August 7, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@Mike - There needs to be an existing Triple-A franchise in Richmond. The Braves are moving that franchise to Gwinnett County after the season.

The Nationals would have to either (a) buy a Triple-A franchise and get approval from MiLB to move them there or (b) identify an existing Triple-A franchise in another city and get them to move to Richmond (and MiLB's approval as well).

Posted by: Brian | August 7, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

In case you're wondering, Jeff Francis is a left-handed pitcher.

(I figure if I'm going to become a one-issue poster, I might as well provide some service as well, right? Or is that too ... reasonable?)

Posted by: Scooter | August 7, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Brian - Any chance NO would drop from AAA to AA to join either the southern league or the texas league? easier distances - Mobile, Mongtomery, etc... That'd free up a franchise to relocate to the International league in Richmond.

Posted by: PTBNL | August 7, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

@PTBNL - I doubt it. Keep in mind that any moves like that from AAA to AA or from one league to another would require another team to move with them to keep leagues with an even number of teams.

You would either need to move two from one place to another or swap a team for a team to keep the numbers even.

I understand what everyone is trying to accomplish, but the odds of the Nationals having a Triple-A team in Richmond in 2009 are pretty much non-existent. I don't see any Triple-A team in Richmond in the near future. The lack of a new stadium is going to deter anyone from moving there at the Triple-A level.

Posted by: Brian | August 7, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Looks to me like (as Brian's said months ago in his excellent blog work on this) the best chance to get a Washington-affiliated team in Richmond would actually be if the P-Nats moved further south, which I for one wouldn't like, since then I'd have to become Highway 395/95 Revisited in order to see them!

And Brian, I understand what you're saying about Norfolk in 2010, but I'd like to see us make a push - though Charlotte might be good too - especially if the Nats FO is smart enough to work with local Charlotte travel folks to develop special "See DC, See the Nats" kinds of promotions - it always bothers me that it seems like the PR/promotions staff hasn't done or thought of things like that.

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | August 7, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The Nats lineup would look a lot better if Manny would swap Flores and Kearns in the order.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 7, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

for those who've been following this closer than I have:
Are today's Gillaspie and Marshall signings big dominoes that will trigger a lot of other signings leading up to the 15th? Or are they independent? And what's the deal with Marshall's 6th Round $850k bonus!?

Posted by: nat in beantown | August 7, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@nib - The Gillespie signing isn't going to be the impetus for more signings. He was a sandwich pick who signed for right around slot. Joshua Fields, Justin Smoak and Aaron Crow are the likely candidates to get things rolling. The players selected before them seem content to wait and see what the guys selected after them got and then get more.

The Marshall signing is the same deal as the Nats did with McGeary last year ... overslot for a HS arm.

Posted by: Brian | August 7, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Brian,
Thanks for guest-hosting NJ today!

Posted by: nat in beantown | August 7, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Work is slow. So very slow.

Posted by: Brian | August 7, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"Nats FO is smart enough to work with local Charlotte travel folks to develop special "See DC, See the Nats" kinds of promotions - it always bothers me that it seems like the PR/promotions staff hasn't done or thought of things like that."

They are doing stuff like this already. The section where I have my 20-game seats is one of the sections that gets used for group sales. (Which is why I'll be looking to move over the offseason, but that's neither here nor there at the moment.) This season I've been surrounded by groups from West Virginia, Missouri, and God only knows where else. (I don't ask where they're from, I just read it on their shirts when they're wearing them. But I can tell you this for sure: none of them are from these parts.) All of these tourists sure aren't ending up there by accident, I can tell you that.

Posted by: Ray King's Gut Feeling | August 7, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

leetee1955, my thought exactly on seeing the lineup (i.e., switching Kearns and Flores).

Posted by: samantha7 | August 7, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Work is slow. So very slow.

Posted by: Brian | August 7, 2008 2:52 PM

-----

Are we back to six-word sentences? Hyphenated pairs: one word or two? This game can't start fast enough...

Posted by: 3434 | August 7, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

let's play ball!

Posted by: nat in beantown | August 7, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Funny, Chico! Good for Mock in not being demoralized by being sent back down . . . again, and again, and again . . .

******************************************* Garrett Mock, who probably leads the nation in trips to the Columbus airport, is back in the Nats clubhouse this morning. . . . Mock's best line? Emphasizing how little he cared about the geography of Washington's minor league team, he said, "I'll fly here from Zimbabwe."

Posted by: flynnie | August 7, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

courtesy of the other paper

"We enjoy Columbus," Kasten said. "It's well known to everyone that they're trying to land with Cleveland."

Posted by: From the horse's mouth | August 7, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: from the shocking news department: | August 7, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

It's New and Improved!

It's a Floor Wax!

It's a Dessert Topping!

You're both right!

Posted by: The New Post | August 7, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

why would the Clippers not want to resign with the Nats? And, does that mean the players we have there wouldn't still be ours? i am confused.

Posted by: cadeck | August 7, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Over here,folks!

Posted by: new post | August 7, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I would be over there, but I can't comment!

Posted by: Screw you, new post! | August 7, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

That's happened to me as well with new posts since the upgrade. Try again and it should work for you.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 7, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I know that this system has limitations, but it seems like the techies upgraded from a chevy to a yugo...

Posted by: TImDz | August 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Milledge homers again...woo hoo

Posted by: TimDz | August 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Come see us at the new post. Now with comments!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 7, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse