GM: Nats hopeful for Dmitri's return this September

I just received an e-mailed statement from Jim Bowden, sent to several media members, about the condition of a particular first baseman who hasn't played since the all-star break.

I'll copy and paste:

"Dmitri Young has been cleared medically to continue baseball activities. He is scheduled to report to Melbourne, Florida, on Saturday evening to get into baseball shape. His diabetes is under control. We are hopeful that he will be able to contribute to the Nationals major league team in September."

As you'll recall, Young, a diabetic, resurfaced after the all-star break complaining in Atlanta of lightheadedness, the product of a high blood-sugar level. The team placed him on the DL days later, and prescribed what GM Jim Bowden called a "two-pronged" treatment. First, Young needed to return to DC and get his diabetes under control. Second, he needed to head down to Florida and regain a passable level of fitness.

So, this marks the start of prong No. 2.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 22, 2008; 3:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lingering rain and elbow stiffness
Next: Improbabilities

Comments

That Bowden-speak for, 'Don't blame me when he's not ready to play in September.'

Posted by: ohplease | August 22, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

return of da meat loaf? you may see amelia earhart sooner.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Da Meat Hook might have to wait a little longer before heading to Melbourne. Sadly, he might need a canoe to get anywhere at the moment.

Posted by: Kev | August 22, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

We might have some semblance of a team for the last week of the season

Posted by: NatsVerse | August 22, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Let me see if I understand this...

Young has been out since the All Star break, hasn't really been in baseball shape (beachball shape, maybe...) ALL YEAR, and Bobby wants us to believe that Da Meat will be at a "passable" level of fitness by September?
September of what year?

Posted by: TimDz | August 22, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That was a GREAT at-bat Langerhans!!!

Posted by: NatsNut | August 22, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

...GREAT at-bat wasted, that is...

Posted by: NatsNut | August 22, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

So, that was a 30-day alcohol rehab program? 45? A qucikie, however you dice it.

Posted by: Carl Williams | August 22, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

You may be able to fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but JimBow tries to fool everyone all the time.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"I am a believer in "the plan," but there is a growing urgency to seeing it executed more competently and more quickly. Certainly four years into it, we did not expect the worst team in the Major Leagues."
______________

Two years in. 2005-mid 2006 were placeholding by MLB.

Posted by: If you want to be pedantic about it. | August 22, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I've been wondering about Sir Hook. Hope he's feeling well.

Posted by: John DC | August 22, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

from previous thread....

@TNE

But remember, StanThePlan and the Lerners were shotgunned by Bud Selig into this marriage, with JimBow playing the role of the red-haired stepchild.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 4:09 PM

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Da Meat better show up in Sept at least 15 pounds lighter. That should put him right at 330 lbs.

Posted by: Pablo | August 22, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

i'd be happy if da meat loaf could bend over to catch infield throws by the last day of the season when the earners fire jinbow on the scoreboard with SoCH as master of ceremonies.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Young's diabetes is not under control becasue he is unable to control his weight. How the Nats did nto get some weight levels incentives in his contract, I have no idea. What were they thinking!

Posted by: dh | August 22, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@dh

consider who gave da meat loaf the contract and the extension. need i say more?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I for one am glad that his diabetes is under control now. It sounded terrible that he couldn't even travel. You all do not seem to realize that someone could DIE of too high a blood sugar and just diet and exercise while helpful, is not the entire picture of Diabetes treatment.

Good for Dimitri, I wish him well.

Posted by: CALSGR8 | August 22, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 3:53 PM

What exactly is he trying to fool us with? He got a call from Dmitri's doctor that he's ready to play ball again. That's it. He doesn't even promise he'll play in September . . . that what the word "hopefully" means.

Sheesh, lighten up Francis.

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | August 22, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or is this game not really looking so great?

But hey, we beat the streak!!

Posted by: NatsNut | August 22, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

@CALSGR8...

Someone could die of high blood sugar but its up to them to maintain a good diet. I have plenty of relatives that suffer from Diabetes so I'm very familiar with disease (I myself have to be careful). The main thing is diet, exercise and staying on top of your blood sugar and medication.

I feel bad for Dmitri, but he's a grown man and should know how to control his diabetes by now. I wish him the best and I hope he gets himself back in playing shape. But he needs to look in mirror and realize that he brought this on to himself.

Posted by: Pablo | August 22, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought that he was ordering large amounts of food because he was taking his minor league teammates out to eat. Seriously, that's the only thing I'd ever heard along those lines.

___________________________________________

...

Posted by: Pablo | August 22, 2008 4:42 PM

Posted by: faNATic | August 22, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

You shouldn't make that leap. The story said he ordered lots of food for the TEAM.

"We all heard stories about Dmitri ordering out large amounts of food while he was rehabbing in the minors."

Posted by: NatsNut | August 22, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Right, I understand that. So you think he just watched them eat?

Posted by: Pablo | August 22, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Kearnsy is coming in...rally could be over...

Posted by: Patty | August 22, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

No one's saying that he just watched them eat. But if you ordered 10 pizzas for you and 30 friends, nobody would assume that you ate all 10 pizzas.

___________________________________________

Right, I understand that. So you think he just watched them eat?

Posted by: Pablo | August 22, 2008 4:51 PM

Posted by: faNATic | August 22, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Grand Slam, Willie Harris!

Posted by: faNATic | August 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Grand slam Willie Harris!!!!!!!

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

L'il Willie is THE MAN!!!!!!!

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Willie with the slam!!!

Posted by: BSG | August 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Willie!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Patty | August 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Look I'm not out here to make DAMEAT look like a bad guy. I have nothing against and wish him nothing but the best.

All I'm saying is I hope he comes back and is serious about staying on top of his weight/blood sugar.

Posted by: Pablo | August 22, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"I'm going to be here around, just bat around me..."

Posted by: Nats 6th... | August 22, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@ Fanatic....

I'm not assuming that he ate all of the food. I'm assuming that he ate some of the food, and I'm sure that what he ate wasn't part of his diabetic diet.

Sorry guys. I didn't mean to make this such a big deal. Like I said, I wish DaMeat nothing but the best.

Posted by: Pablo | August 22, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Willie!!! First career grand salami.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

uh, I didn't see the other granny posts, but great minds think alike?

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Woo Hoo!!! Are you freakin kidding me? A GRAND SLAM????

Posted by: NatsNut | August 22, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to know what kind of adjustment he made this season to increase his power production so drastically. 7 HR in his career prior to this year; 11 HR this season

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 22, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Atta boy Willie!

Posted by: Pablo | August 22, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris

pre-2008

1243 ABs 7 Hr 1HR per 177.5 ABs
this year
274 ABs 11 HR 1 HR per 24.9 ABs

Willie, I'm just sayin' if you need a clean sample, let me know

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | August 22, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

DeRosa a dead duck at second base thanks to - Mrs. Harris' son. Yeah, that's right.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Dave Jageler: It's Willie Harris' world, we're just renting space.

Posted by: faNATic | August 22, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

And then he nails DeRosa trying to take second!

In the words of Jageler, "It's Willie Harris's world, the rest of us are just renting space."

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 22, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Meh, watch me throw this guy out.

Posted by: Willie the Slamma Hamma | August 22, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

A diving catch, an outfield assist AND A GRAND SLAM! Willie Harris has GOT to be this club's MVP!

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Bonifacio with the speed!

Posted by: WN | August 22, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

You beat me, faNATic. Nice work.

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 22, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, Willie did say he was learning a lot from Lenny... maybe it's the last names. Are there any other Harris' out there we can pick up?

Posted by: WN | August 22, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, JiMpls, I'm just caught up in the refreshing feeling of a six-run inning, courtesy one Willie Harris. I'm glad someone else thought that was as funny as I did.

Posted by: faNATic | August 22, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Jim Bo traded me away

Posted by: Brenden Harris | August 22, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Let's get some (insurance) runs.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Good call, WN.

And Brend[a]n, you're right, I think you're the only other Harris in the majors right now, actually.

Posted by: faNATic | August 22, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

do i count? i'm a pitcher, but if you trade for me, i'll get 2-3 ABs a game!

Posted by: matt harrison | August 22, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

nats getting add-on runs? i may faint.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Woah! Aarone 'F'ing' Boone with a bases clearing double

Posted by: SF Fan | August 22, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

W Harris intentionally walked...and Boone with a super pinch-hit!

Posted by: Patty | August 22, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Matt, you're a Harris-on. Not quite the same.

Aaron [bleeping] Boone!

___________________________________________

do i count? i'm a pitcher, but if you trade for me, i'll get 2-3 ABs a game!

Posted by: matt harrison | August 22, 2008 5:29 PM

Posted by: faNATic | August 22, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Ten runs! Lannan may faint.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

5 Runs, St. Clair might faint... Lannan is not his usual productive self today.

Posted by: SF Fan | August 22, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Willie appeared to injure himself, according to Charlie.

But just when you think he's done it all (diving catch, grand slam, outfield assist from the wall), he actually heals himself, right there on the field, using only the sheer force of will(ie).

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 22, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope that Charlie misread that one, John. I was concerned when I heard him say that.

In other news, Belli goes yard!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Belliard is on FIRE! He might be trying to compete with Willie :)

Posted by: BSG | August 22, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

If not for the play by DeRosa to hold him to a double, he'd have hit for the cycle.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

11 runs?! I wish they would spread it out some.

Posted by: Patty | August 22, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Good Lord, Willie!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

WILLIE HARRIS CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 22, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Willie AGAIN!

Posted by: BSG | August 22, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Charlie is losing track of the runs now (but I hope they save some for tomorrow, Patty).

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

OMG - Willie strikes again!!

Posted by: Patty | August 22, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

the drug testing guy will meet the nats outside of their clubhouse following the game.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

heh

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

L'il Willie has driven in more runs than the Cubs gave scored!

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Think he might want to be player of the game?

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Forget about saving runs for tomorrow, me thinks...this just feels too good after the past month. Keep hittin!

Posted by: Sec 317 | August 22, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilie!

Posted by: Section 138 | August 22, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Aw, Colome? I guess since Hanrahan pitched two last night, he can't go today?

Posted by: Patty | August 22, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't even think Luis Ayala could give up this lead...luckily we don't have to find out!

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | August 22, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I think that's why. And it's mop-up time.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

all that's missing is a homily from father flynniegan.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Once in a game against the Cubs, Willie Harris hit two home runs, including a grand slam, fielded the entire outfield, and pitched the 9th inning notching his first career save.

Posted by: Patty | August 22, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Paging father flynniegan...

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Very nice, Patty! :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Jesus, let's go!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Mr. Colome! (I was getting hungry.)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Didn't want to interrupt the flow of the game but I'm also glad to hear that Dmitri's diabetes is under control. It sounded like a serious situation.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

this kinda reminds me of an apocryphal story from the early days of the mets. a guy calls a newspaper to get the score of a mets-cubs game. when the caller was told that the mets had indeed scored 19 runs, the caller then asked "did they win?"

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

i'm over here!

Posted by: new post | August 22, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

That's funny, natscribe!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

pink chocolate [URL=http://www.myowncookie.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/comment-665.html]pink chocolate[/URL] [url=http://www.myowncookie.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/comment-665.html]pink chocolate[/url] [url]http://www.myowncookie.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/comment-665.html[/url]

Posted by: pink chocolate | August 26, 2008 5:25 AM | Report abuse